Thread: Future of DTW: Uncertain?

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Default Future of DTW: Uncertain?

Many of you have obviously been wondering about the future of DTW. It has remained in a dormant state for quite a while due to many reasons, the most influencing one being of course the death of my PC which makes development kind of impossible. Besides that, having not much free time and being occupied with studies is another thing that hampers the process of getting a job and buying a new PC.

All that aside, I still have plans for DTW in general. I find that it's not really perfect yet (if some of you remember, the version number was v0.94 when I suddenly released v1.0) and there's much to improve. Playing Shogun - Total War has given me many ideas to make the gameplay more enjoyable and fun. More on the economy and unit upkeep side. Kind of turning the development of cities more of a choice between military and economy boost.

Boosting up the development of new units and unit cards would also be a top priority thing. After all, if we finish up Barbarian and Eastern units, it's pretty much only polishing work if anything else. I don't plan on remodeling or remaking the units into new unimaginable levels. That's just a waste of time.

Some improvements of the terrain, sky and overall battlemap appearance should be made though.

After all that is done, I can say that DTW would be finished. With the giant load of all the new traits and stuff going into the mod soon enough, there should be hours of gameplay in stock.

What's next after DTW though? I'd definitely say a Shogun:TW style Total Conversion that would be an offspring of all great ideas found in DTW. That's something I'll really be looking forward to and the graphics will definitely get a HD touch, a level way above from that of DTW, since the workload is a lot smaller in global scale. Having got the experience from DTW, rebuilding a settlement plan from scratch really isn't a tough cookie for me. I'm probably the most qualified person in TWC for that.

P.S. - Donate, so I can buy a new PC faster
    Last edited by RedFox; November 17, 2009 at 08:02 AM.

rogergargantua's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Future of DTW: Uncertain?

Sounds good, Redfox. I am wondering one thing though. On which TW game will ur Shogun TC be based on? I mean, you mentioned HD-like graphics. So on which TW game is it possible to achieve that?

I know that Medieval 2:TW has really great graphics ....it still does imo.

RTW is much easier to mod and one can achieve quite good results on it. Besides, having this much experience with RTW, the overall modding process will be much faster and fluent. It will be based on ALX of course. When I mentioned HD, I rather meant Highly Detailed models and high resolution texturing.
    Last edited by RedFox; November 17, 2009 at 08:59 AM.

messiah's Avatar Semisalis

Can't donate - don't have paypal or card.

Redfox i reckon a shogun tw mod on rtw would be awesome, pity ur computer died, sorry but i cant donate. i reckon ur 1 of the best for modding rtw cause dtw is awesome, i reckon i would play all ur mods wne u release them and its my dream to help out one day( dont know anything about modding lol)

I can't believe it took you almost a year to finally start begging for money.

Dirty: Desperate times require desperate measures I doubt anyone will actually bother to donate, but I still made it possible if someone wants to help. I still have plans for DTW and other projects like I stated, so I'll be taking any help possible to get things going.

I just gave you a dollar.
    Last edited by Dog Fart; November 18, 2009 at 07:09 PM.

That's 1€ more than before

Seriously though, I appreciate every minor contribution, it shows that you care even a tiny bit and on top of all that, it motivates me to get back to work on new ideas.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'd donate something if I could, but I'm sure you somewhat know of the financial situation in the US (it doesn't help that I live in California, a nearly bankrupt state, either).

Daminios's Avatar Civis

I have plans on purchasing BI & Alexander in the coming weeks & then i will be installing your mod .
    Im saddened to hear your pc died , but pleased you will develop this a litttle more before the final release .
    Don't give up RedFox

What part of your PC died by the way? Do you know?
    Maybe someone could give you a spare to fix it!

Peregrinus: It died this April, ca 7 months ago. If it would've been easy to fix, I would've managed. I haven't been actively modding since then, so that's why the quality of DTW support has been quite lacking for the past few months.

I've decided to slowly crawl my way back to modding though and finish what I started.

Umm well I will try donate something even though I am a jobless and near moneyless student ';D. Still the mod has given me more enjoyment than a lot of other games I actually paid money for.