Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unit Mini Preview: Al-Haras al-Sudani

Default Re: Unit Mini Preview: Al-Haras al-Sudani

Awesome, like everyone said!!!

But what about the (approximate) stats of all these units in the previews. I've noticed you mentioned that Al-Haras al-Sudani were armed and armoured from the royal arsenal and that they were chosen from the best Abid Al-Shira. WOW! So, we'll be seeing some elite, heavy spearmen in the Fatimid Army, right?

Too bad that Saladin knocked them out right in the middle of the crusades, when he was facing those powerful european knights. On the other hand, I guess he knew what he was doing...

But what about the (approximate) stats of all these units in the previews.
    Well with out publishing all our unit stats (which are far from completed), you wouldn't really have a frame of reference to compare them against. But I can tell you got the right idea just from the preview as it is. Abid al-shira like ghulams were trained to be soldiers from a very young age.

Too bad that Saladin knocked them out right in the middle of the crusades, when he was facing those powerful european knights. On the other hand, I guess he knew what he was doing...
    Saladin did incorporate several Fatimid regiments into his army, but obviously he couldn't trust the Sudani. His armies operated in a very different fashion anyway.

The Fatimids had very solid infantry but horse archery was their weakness because they were never able to recruit enough Turkic soldiers to compete with the Seljuks in this regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Superb!!

Cooooool

alien_t's Avatar В Съединението е Силата

Great work mate.
    Bulgaria: Total War - Mod For M2TW
    Check my Turnovo, custom settlement video preview or download it here
    Under the Honorable Patronage of B. Ward

"...We are Bulgarians and and all suffer from one common disease [e.g., the Ottoman rule]" and "Our task is not to shed the blood of Bulgarians, of those who belong to the same people that we serve" - Gotse Delchev, Collective memory, national identity, and ethnic conflict: Greece, Bulgaria, and the Macedonian question, Victor Roudometof, Greenwood Publishing Group, 2002, ISBN 0275976483, p. 79.

"The Bulgarians, these are the people, who had everything they wished for. A nation, where the one who buys the nobility with the blood of the enemy receives titles..." - Magnus Felix Ennodius, description of battle at Margus
    (Morava) river 505 AD

Prince of Yunderup's Avatar Tiro

Mouth watering beautiful.

nice one

The more sand has escaped from the hourglass of our life, the clearer we should see through it.
    Niccolo Machiavelli

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

Beautiful unit. Well done !

hull19's Avatar Ordinarius

incredible units!
    SS 6.4, Eras 2.3, DotS Project
    The first computer you had always was the best.
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

greet work on the moddeling, i am just wondering will domnion be out before christmass or after christmass

Thanks guys!

i am just wondering will domnion be out before christmass or after christmass
    Definitely after, but you may see some good previews before.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Achilla's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Thanks guys!

Definitely after, but you may see some good previews before.
    Christmas preview !? Did you just imply that ;d?
    Man is but a shadow of his former self, encased in feverish delusions of grandeur.
    Ignorance is your shield, knowledge is your weapon.
    Heart without reason is stupid, reason without heart is blind.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    You inferred it, don't make any insinuation accusations .

If we get around to it, we'll think about it, perchance. Or maybe we won't. Or maybe we will . Don't get your hopes up though, remember it is Christmas and we all have other things to be doing besides modding. We will have a preview of our new map at some point before Burn's Night anyway, and there might even be a new unit preview before that.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; December 23, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Quote Originally Posted by Achilla View Post
    I may have been a bit too optimistic, but not by much.
    Last edited by sumskilz; December 23, 2009 at 06:01 PM.

Saruman the white wizard's Avatar Decanus
    Schouwerzijl, a little village in the north of the Netherlands.

Looks awesome the only bad thing I can say is that the mail rings should be smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman the white wizard View Post
    Looks awesome the only bad thing I can say is that the mail rings should be smaller.
    Thanks and yeah I know about the mail. At some point I will probably change it to the mail texture that I used on these guys: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...75#post6565775
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM.

That mail looks way better .
    By the way, is the mail of noble units going to have rings closer together than ordinary soldiers?
    Nobles often wore 1 into 6 or 1 into 8 patterns instead of the "normal" 1 into 4 pattern.
    Sometimes even mail with 2 layers of rings was used.

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman the white wizard View Post
    That mail looks way better .
    By the way, is the mail of noble units going to have rings closer together than ordinary soldiers?
    Nobles often wore 1 into 6 or 1 into 8 patterns instead of the "normal" 1 into 4 pattern.
    Sometimes even mail with 2 layers of rings was used.
    That's probably not possible to emulate convincingly because of the scale of the units. The mail on the Arab cavalry that I posted a link to is already so small that there is only a single pixel in the center of each ring. I've experimented with trying to make denser mail patterns but the result tends to be that it no longer looks like mail. Instead it ends up looking like weird fabric. The only solution would be to make the units higher resolution but then I would have fewer variations per unit due to limited texture space (probably only two body variations in total).
    Last edited by sumskilz; February 12, 2010 at 04:55 PM.

Hmmm, I think lack of variation is something which is way more noticable than the lack of different mail patterns. Anyways, keep up the amazing work

Foederatus

very cool

Tsardoms Total War Serbian Researcher

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast