Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

Comes Domesticorum

Default Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

In the spirit of the WWI thread, same idea here.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

Well for me it is easy. The Commies were the bad guys.

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

I love America but, it wasn't our war and we really should have gotten involved. Plus, we lost over 58,000 young Americans in the war...so I hate to say it but the Vietnamese were the good guys

clandestino's Avatar Primicerius

The pu tangs...and the commies.
    join the light side of the Force: Kosovo is Serbia
    Fight for the creation of new Serbian Empire

== BARBAROGENIVS DECIVILISATOR ==

the indigenous montagnards, fighting against persecution from the vietnamese
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsęhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésęhestóxévétáno mâsęhánééstóva!

Koelkastmagneet's Avatar Vicarius

There were no good guys, the concept of a good side in itself is ridiculous.
    ☻ This is a random collection of symbols. He's tired of you abusing him.
    /▌\  Don't copy-paste this if you know what's good for you.
    / \

which is why the montagnards are the "good guys" as they are the only ones who had a legitimate reason for fighting
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsęhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésęhestóxévétáno mâsęhánééstóva!

The Viet-minh
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Neither, as with most wars. We should never have gone in there in the first place.

Though as much as it pains me to say it, the North Vietnamese & Vietcong came much closer than the authoritarian, corrupt, unstable and utterly incompetent South Vietnamese regime(s).
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; November 15, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

Only innocent civilians ...

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

nobody was the "good guys" in the Vietnam War since it simply wasn't as clear cut as that.
    Last edited by Babur; November 18, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I have to agree with uzi716.

It was a war the US should not have fought - we should have put the screws to France after WW2 they got a UN SC seat and a lot big 5 credit they did not deserve they should never have been allowed to keep their colonial empire. So I say not bad guys but certainly fantastically foolish guys on the US side - if we had forced a French withdrawal who knows maybe Ho Chi Mihn might have been one of our biggest cold war allies.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

The US had some vaguely noble reasons (from their pov) to get involved in the conflict fully. After Operation Menu all sympathy I have for them disappears. They were under Tricky Dick, afterall.

As with most wars it isn't about right vs wrong but right vs right.
    Last edited by Markas; November 15, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Rt. Hon. Gentleman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I have to agree with uzi716.

It was a war the US should not have fought - we should have put the screws to France after WW2 they got a UN SC seat and a lot big 5 credit they did not deserve they should never have been allowed to keep their colonial empire. So I say not bad guys but certainly fantastically foolish guys on the US side - if we had forced a French withdrawal who knows maybe Ho Chi Mihn might have been one of our biggest cold war allies.
    Hey, much as I am not France's greatest fan, what right does America have to tell them what they can and can't keep? Same with us and the Suez. None of their business.

Opifex

There is no conceivable angle from which America would be the bad guys here. The good guys were clearly America and South Vietnam, just like South Korea. The bad guys were North Vietnam and China, which supplied NV endlessly and in many occassions actually had several hundred thousand of the Chinese army fight on their side. It's through tactics that this that the US lost many soldiers, and the electorate back home got weak knees and decided to run.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Hey, much as I am not France's greatest fan, what right does America have to tell them what they can and can't keep? Same with us and the Suez. None of their business.
    Victor's rights - France folded and Vichy was damn pliable for the Germans. You didn't see a a Vichy Poland. At the end of WW2 the French were in no position to reoccupy their Asian colonies except with OK of the UK and US - who should have vetoed any return of colonial rule.
    Last edited by conon394; November 16, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Victor's rights - France folded and Vichy was damn pliable for the Germans. You didn't see a a Vichy Poland. At the end of WW2 the French were in no position to reoccupy their Asian colonies except with OK of the UK and US - who should have vetoed any return of colonial rule.
    The UK was not going to Veto Frances' colonial ambitions, as Britain herself had a huge empire it desperatly wanted to keep hold of.
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Vietnamese, i wubbels my glorious American empire and all, but c'mon we invaded Vietnam for no good reason, if the french had trouble ** why do you think we can do it just as well? We should've known it was going to end up being a gigantic cluster blank. Woodrow Wilson, i blame you should've paid more attention to ho chi minh!

But seriously, the good guys were my poor asian bros down to the east.

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Lol, the French's returning of Indochina is quite a complicated question. French, after the end of WWII, actually agreed Vietnam should self-governed itself, under both the pressure of US and Nationalist China (mainly because Nationalist China did not want to stay in Vietnam, so they forced French to sign the agreement). However, French government immediately cancelled the agreement once their army landed on Indochina; that betray and dishonest were the reason why Vietnamese were so pissed off and decided to revolt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Gentleman View Post
    I doubt the US would have interfered in the Suez Canal, if the Soviet Union had not threatened to intervene on behalf of Egypt.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast