Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Comes Domesticorum

Default Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

In the spirit of the WWI thread, same idea here.

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

Well for me it is easy. The Commies were the bad guys.

uzi716's Avatar Ordinarius

I love America but, it wasn't our war and we really should have gotten involved. Plus, we lost over 58,000 young Americans in the war...so I hate to say it but the Vietnamese were the good guys

Icon8 Re: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

are you crazy we weren't the one that kill,rape villagers. usa is the bad guy because of usa stupid president kenedy

clandestino's Avatar Primicerius

The pu tangs...and the commies.
    join the light side of the Force: Kosovo is Serbia
    Fight for the creation of new Serbian Empire

== BARBAROGENIVS DECIVILISATOR ==

the indigenous montagnards, fighting against persecution from the vietnamese
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsêhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésêhestóxévétáno mâsêhánééstóva!

Koelkastmagneet's Avatar Vicarius

There were no good guys, the concept of a good side in itself is ridiculous.
    ☻ This is a random collection of symbols. He's tired of you abusing him.
    /▌\  Don't copy-paste this if you know what's good for you.
    / \

which is why the montagnards are the "good guys" as they are the only ones who had a legitimate reason for fighting
    Névé'novôhe'étanóme mâsêhánééstóva, onésetó'ha'éeta netáhoestovevoo'o, onésêhestóxévétáno mâsêhánééstóva!

The Viet-minh
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Neither, as with most wars. We should never have gone in there in the first place.

Though as much as it pains me to say it, the North Vietnamese & Vietcong came much closer than the authoritarian, corrupt, unstable and utterly incompetent South Vietnamese regime(s).
    Last edited by Barry Goldwater; November 15, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

Only innocent civilians ...

Babur's Avatar ز آفتاب درخشان ستاره می

nobody was the "good guys" in the Vietnam War since it simply wasn't as clear cut as that.
    Last edited by Babur; November 18, 2009 at 07:48 AM.
    Under the patronage of Gertrudius!

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I have to agree with uzi716.

It was a war the US should not have fought - we should have put the screws to France after WW2 they got a UN SC seat and a lot big 5 credit they did not deserve they should never have been allowed to keep their colonial empire. So I say not bad guys but certainly fantastically foolish guys on the US side - if we had forced a French withdrawal who knows maybe Ho Chi Mihn might have been one of our biggest cold war allies.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Rt. Hon. Gentleman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    I have to agree with uzi716.

It was a war the US should not have fought - we should have put the screws to France after WW2 they got a UN SC seat and a lot big 5 credit they did not deserve they should never have been allowed to keep their colonial empire. So I say not bad guys but certainly fantastically foolish guys on the US side - if we had forced a French withdrawal who knows maybe Ho Chi Mihn might have been one of our biggest cold war allies.
    Hey, much as I am not France's greatest fan, what right does America have to tell them what they can and can't keep? Same with us and the Suez. None of their business.

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Gentleman View Post
    Hey, much as I am not France's greatest fan, what right does America have to tell them what they can and can't keep? Same with us and the Suez. None of their business.
    I doubt the US would have interfered in the Suez Canal, if the Soviet Union had not threatened to intervene on behalf of Egypt.

cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

Rambo

Seriously though, I don't realy believe in "good guys" in a war, so none for me.

Rt. Hon. Gentleman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by cupoftea View Post
    Rambo

Seriously though, I don't realy believe in "good guys" in a war, so none for me.
    WW2?

I admit that that is an isolated example.

Menelik_I's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Republic of Angola, Permitte divis cetera.

North Vietnam tore down the agreement and invaded South Vietnam, they sound like the bad guys to me.

As for the "Corrupt Uber-evil South Vietnamese" government, lets keep in mind that both South Korea and Taiwan were able to transition to a Democratic regime a few decades down the road under US protection, something that never happened in any Commie country. China is still the same dictatorship, just like North Korea, while those that were under pro-american regimes are now democracies. So this is not even something to argue with, cause at least in Asia Democratic under USA protection is proven possibility.
    Last edited by Menelik_I; February 28, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
    « Le courage est toujours quelque chose de saint, un jugement divin entre deux idées. Défendre notre cause de plus en plus vigoureusement est conforme à la nature humaine. Notre suprême raison d’être est donc de lutter ; on ne possède vraiment que ce qu’on acquiert en combattant. »Ernst Jünger
    La Guerre notre Mère (Der Kampf als inneres Erlebnis), 1922, trad. Jean Dahel, éditions Albin Michel, 1934

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    North Vietnam tore down the agreement and invaded South Vietnam, they sound like the bad guys to me.
    Its not exactly that black and white.

Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    As for the "Corrupt Uber-evil South Vietnamese" government, lets keep in mind that both South Korea and Taiwan were able to transition to a Democratic regime a few decades down the road under US protection, something that never happened in any Commie country.
    Yes, but there is no evidence to support South Vietnam becoming a democracy. In fact South Vietnam is really to blame for everything considering they refused to hold elections in accordance with the Geneva Accords in 1956. they cited fair elections could not be held because of the North, and thus then decided to have their own elections (a fraud election)

Ho Chi Minh was a hero to the Vietnamese people like Washington was to the Americans. The better thing would have been to support Ho Chi Mihn instead of the very corrupt and unpopular South Vietnamese.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Gentleman View Post
    When you use US money, you ask US first when you do anything.

About Suez, it was rather because France and Britain got scare and asked US's permission and support; if they did not ask, may be things would turn much favor to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast