Thread: Rifle usage in the Crimean War?

Default Rifle usage in the Crimean War?

Of all the parties involved, when did each of them introduce rifles, and how many of their troops by proportion were using them instead of smoothbores?

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Rifle usage in the Crimean War?

Did Russia even have rifled-musket? British had 1853 Enfield and it was already pushed to replace smooth bolt even before Crimean War. Mini ball also was adopted during this war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Overall, I am all but certain the British, French, Sardinians, and Russians all had rifled muskets in some capacity, though the overall percentage is something that eludes me. I believe the proportion for the French was that 17% were equipped with rifled muskets, while the rest were equipped with smoothbores. Overall, I'd say that's about the same for the Russians and Turks, but significantly less than the British or Sardinians given the French emphasis on Elan while the British and Sardinians favored firepower.

However, the rifled muskets by all accounts punched way above their weight, to the point where they probably did most of the overall fighting (especially for the Western Allies). After the war, the French Artillery's history in 1858 was exceedingly scathing of the smoothbore muskets, going as far to say that it contributed "little or no" in the actual combat.
    Last edited by Turtler; March 03, 2013 at 05:56 AM.

clandestino's Avatar Primicerius

I think that they all used the mix of smoothbor and rifles, since the process of replacement had recently beginn in all armies involved. At least that was a case for Uk. http://www.militaryheritage.com/enfield1853.htm
    join the light side of the Force: Kosovo is Serbia
    Fight for the creation of new Serbian Empire

== BARBAROGENIVS DECIVILISATOR ==

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

All of them had a rifle in some form or other, but any large use of that weapon was limited to only a couple battles at the end of the war. I can't remember which battles but I know they were definitely used at Sevastopol.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Minas Moth's Avatar Senator

When it comes to the Crimena War what we know for the British is the following:
    • with the outbreak of the War, 1,000 Minie Rifles manufactured in 1851 were sent to Turkey, to replace the weapons of troops stationed there. The problem was (early in the War) that 1851 Minie Rifle wasn't produced in large numbers and Pattern 1853 production was still in beginning stages. The illustrations (of contemporary newspapers) and comments of experts were inconclusive in a way that 1851 Minie Rifle was often identified as 1853 Pattern Rifle and vice versa. However, it is now generally accepted that in 1855 either or both Rifle Brigade and Marines were indeed equipped with 1853 Enfield Pattern Rifle. It is only assumption (although a safe one) that Rifle Brigade did receive the 1853 weapon. Few photographs, such as the one of the 68th Durham Light Infantry show that they were equipped with 1853 Pattern Rifle.
    • At the battle of Alma (September 20, 1854), journalist reports indicate that two Light Divisions that attacked the Russians included 19th, or the 1st Yorkshire North riding Regiment, the "Green Howards", were equipped with minie rifle but it seems that journalists as well as some commentators provided different info on which weapon was actually used.
    • however, it is sure that 93rd (Sutherland) Highlanders at Balaclava did use the 1853 Pattern Rifle.

to note is also the following, the 1853 Pattern Rifle (in the form we are most familiar with) entered service in 1855 and was issued to every soldier. with the Crimean War effectively ending with Russian retreat from Sebastopol on September 8, 1855 it is still a matter of guessing how many weapons were Enfield 1853 Pattern rifles and how many were 1851 Minie Rifles.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” Benjamin Franklin