Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

G-Megas-Doux's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Who were the good guys in the Vietnam War?

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Victor's rights - France folded and Vichy was damn pliable for the Germans. You didn't see a Vichy Poland. At the end of WW2 the French were in no position to reoccupy their Asian colonies except with OK of the UK and US - who should have vetoed any return of colonial rule.

I doubt the British would have seriously considered vetoing France out of their colonies. The post war government was not Vichy it was De Gaul and a new constitution. Though France did screw up, it is likely had they left Vietnam would have still gone communist.

I think the only ones who were innocent were the ones who were non combatant and trying to avoid the fight. Unfortunately when the locals are being coerced by Vietminh and later Vietcong. Then when that happens it makes it harder for the French later the US to root out.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Was looking for a Morrowind sig to use as big fan of the game found this from here so crediting from source http://paha13.deviantart.com/art/Morrowind-259489058

Also credit avatar from.
    http://www.members.shaw.ca/nickyart2/Avatars/Page2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    There is no conceivable angle from which America would be the bad guys here.
    How about this angle: supporting the side that didn't want to hold a reunification referundum, despite otherwise being advocates for democracy, self-determination and all that.

Lord Consul's Avatar Armchair intellectual

You're certainly not counting that revealing historical angle through which we see that...

1. The US actively supported South Vietnam in its decision to scrap the plebiscite on reunification. They knew the crooks in SV would never win a democratic contest.

2. The US government actually entered the war under a fabricated excuse (Gulf of Tonkin, anyone?).

3. The US propped up a brutal regime that had zero support from the peasantry and the small Vietnamese middle class.

It is shameful that there are people unwilling to admit that during the Cold War America was more than ready to prop up any corrupt/genocidal/authoritarian government as long as it was anti-Communist.
    Proud Client of Obi Wan Asterix

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Gentleman View Post
    Hey, much as I am not France's greatest fan, what right does America have to tell them what they can and can't keep? Same with us and the Suez. None of their business.
    When you use US money, you ask US first when you do anything.

About Suez, it was rather because France and Britain got scare and asked US's permission and support; if they did not ask, may be things would turn much favor to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

barbarossa pasha's Avatar Tiro

About Suez, it was rather because France and Britain got scare and asked US's permission and support; if they did not ask, may be things would turn much favor to them.
    I thought Suez was special because it Britain and France decided to act unilaterally without consulting the Americans, when America threatened to sell off its holdings of pounds sterling to destroy the British currency they had to humiliatingly withdraw? They didn't ask US permission beforehand, and when the US administration learned of if they came down on the UK with a vengeance.

Artwork Contributor and 'Special Motivational Assistant' for The Greek Wars

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

That may have had something to do with it, but the Soviet threats of war and troop build up in Syria is probably the main reason

Rt. Hon. Gentleman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Pious Agnost View Post
    That may have had something to do with it, but the Soviet threats of war and troop build up in Syria is probably the main reason
    No, he's right. The American involvement in the Suez crisis was purely from a moral perspective, rather than any geo-political ramifications that may have resulted. And yes, they did threaten to destroy sterling.

"Special Friend's Tiff"

The fact that they bombarded and deforested large parts of Vietnam; sprayed chemical weapons over Vietnam; committed atrocities and supported a maniacal, autocratic regime which was actually worse than the opponent's might be, I don't know, viewed as a bit distasteful by some?
    Quote Originally Posted by A.J.P. Taylor
    Peaceful agreement and government by consent are possible only on the basis of ideas common to all parties; and these ideas must spring from habit and from history. Once reason is introduced, every man, every class, every nation becomes a law unto itself; and the only right which reason understands is the right of the stronger. Reason formulates universal principles and is therefore intolerant: there can be only one rational society, one rational nation, ultimately one rational man. Decisions between rival reasons can be made only by force.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L Spieghel
    Is het niet hogelijk te verwonderen, en een recht beklaaglijke zaak, Heren, dat alhoewel onze algemene Dietse taal een onvermengde, sierlijke en verstandelijke spraak is, die zich ook zo wijd als enige talen des werelds verspreidt, en die in haar bevang veel rijken, vorstendommen en landen bevat, welke dagelijks zeer veel kloeke en hooggeleerde verstanden uitleveren, dat ze nochtans zo zwakkelijk opgeholpen en zo weinig met geleerdheid verrijkt en versiert wordt, tot een jammerlijk hinder en nadeel des volks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Miel Cools
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen,
    Oud ben maar nog niet verrot.
    Zoals oude bomen zingen,
    Voor Jan Lul of voor hun god.
    Ook een oude boom wil reizen,
    Bij een bries of bij een storm.
    Zelfs al zit zijn kruin vol luizen,
    Zelfs al zit zijn voet vol worm.
    Als ik oud ben wil ik zingen.

Cò am Fear am measg ant-sluaigh,
    A mhaireas buan gu bràth?
    Chan eil sinn uileadh ach air chuart,
    Mar dhìthein buaile fàs,
    Bheir siantannan na bliadhna sìos,
    'S nach tog a' ghrian an àird.

Quote Originally Posted by Jörg Friedrich
    When do I stop being a justified warrior? When I've killed a million bad civilians? When I've killed three million bad civilians? According to a warsimulation by the Pentagon in 1953 the entire area of Russia would've been reduced to ruins with 60 million casualties. All bad Russians. 60 million bad guys. By how many million ''bad'' casualties do I stop being a knight of justice? Isn't that the question those knights must ask themselves? If there's no-one left, and I remain as the only just one,

Then I'm God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Napoleon III, Des Idees Napoleoniennes
    Governments have been established to aid society to overcome the obstacles which impede its march. Their forms have been varied according to the problems they have been called to cure, and according to character of the people they have ruled over. Their task never has been, and never will be easy, because the two contrary elements, of which our existence and the nature of society is composed, demand the employment of different means. In view of our divine essence, we need only liberty and work; in view of our mortal nature, we need for our direction a guide and a support. A government is not then, as a distinguished economist has said, a necessary ulcer; it is rather the beneficent motive power of all social organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Held
    I walked into those baracks [of Buchenwald concentrationcamp], in which there were people on the three-layered bunkbeds. But only their eyes were alive. Emaciated, skinny figures, nothing more but skin and bones. One thinks that they are dead, because they did not move. Only the eyes. I started to cry. And then one of the prisoners came, stood by me for a while, put a hand on my shoulder and said to me, something that I will never forget: ''Tränen sind denn nicht genug, mein Junge,
    Tränen sind denn nicht genug.''

Jajem ssoref is m'n korew
    E goochem mit e wenk, e nar mit e shtomp
    Wer niks is, hot kawsones

barbarossa pasha's Avatar Tiro

Obviously as godless atheists with no conception of the value of human life they deserved to be bombed to oblivion by people who know the fundamental sacrosanctity of human life.

Artwork Contributor and 'Special Motivational Assistant' for The Greek Wars

cupoftea's Avatar Vicarius

Rambo

Seriously though, I don't realy believe in "good guys" in a war, so none for me.

Rt. Hon. Gentleman's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by cupoftea View Post
    Rambo

Seriously though, I don't realy believe in "good guys" in a war, so none for me.
    WW2?

I admit that that is an isolated example.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    When you use US money, you ask US first when you do anything.

Well, then I think it is time USA took it's hat in it's hands and started begging for permissions from Europe, China, Japan and other big debt owners.

Because you guys are running your country on their money.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

The USA, they came and helped out the south vietnamese

Yep, the problem was that the US Foreign Policiy had built up the very problem requiring them to lend assistance in the first place.

And after the mass invasion in 65 and the change from a vietnamese to an american war (of attrition), things deterioated (as in any counterinsurgency war not lead as such and with people not trained for it).

It's not that the Communist Regime was graced with unwavering support (in fact, after they took power in the north, the first problem they had to conted with were agrarian uprisings by farmers opposed to collectivization), only while the North wasn't any more liberal than the south, at least they ran their show alot more efficient, as opposed to the corruption ridden south.

There is no conceivable angle from which America would be the bad guys here. The good guys were clearly America and South Vietnam, just like South Korea. The bad guys were North Vietnam and China, which supplied NV endlessly and in many occassions actually had several hundred thousand of the Chinese army fight on their side. It's through tactics that this that the US lost many soldiers, and the electorate back home got weak knees and decided to run.
    Lewis Sorley, is that you?
    "The ABC of our profession, is to avoid large abstract terms in order to try to discover behind them the only concrete realities, which are human beings."
    - Marc Bloch

Under the Patronage of Lord Rahl

Quote Originally Posted by UCMENOMOR View Post
    Using a fabricated incident.

Nizam89's Avatar Ducenarius

It's the fault of the frenchman!
    They were not able to keep that place secure.

But the main problem is colonisation itself.
    So colonists are evil!
    "I warn every animal on this farm to keep his eyes very wide open."
    Pig Schwatzwutz
    NASA's biggest blunder was not having Neil Armstrong say, " That's one small step for man,....hey, that looks like gold!"

Bovril's Avatar Primicerius
    Civitate Patrician

I'm not sure this is a joke, but I can give a few. American military involvement was essentially a result of their desire to prevent free elections (agreed to by NK and the French at Geneva in 54) which would have united Vietnam under a single government, since they knew their guy (Diem, winner of the rigged electionin the South) would lose. A military intervention based on the premise of preventing the democratic reunification of a country seems like a bad thing.
    Also, US and South Vietnamese strategy was incredibly brutal, and including horrific bombing in the rest of Indo-China.
    Also, the main aspect of the war, particularly early on, was a liberation stugle by South Vietnamese peasants against the brutal regime. There's only one right side there. When you add in NK and China's involvement things become more complex, but that was always a small theatre of war compared to the war agianst south Vietnamese peasants untill the 70s.
    Last edited by Bovril; November 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM.

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Nizam89 View Post
    It's the fault of the frenchman!
    They were not able to keep that place secure.

But the main problem is colonisation itself.
    So colonists are evil!
    In fact the problems started after the french left and the americans stepped in.

Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    In the spirit of the WWI thread, same idea here.

In war arent good guyies just agressors and defenders

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast