Thread: A Proposal of Ideas

Default A Proposal of Ideas

I ALSO POSTED THIS IN THE PROJECT PLAN THREAD, JUST POSTING IT HERE AGAIN TO ATTRACT MORE PEOPLE.

Yeah, I guess I'm late to the game, but I've always liked the mods that came out for Medieval II. I didn't like Empire because it was kind of cumbersome to manage everything, and the map was simply huge, which slowed everything down and had a lot of down time moving around (with a bigger map, something like Europa Universalis seems more appropriate). I didn't buy kingdoms because it seemed like I had just bought the vanilla game, so I didn't feel like dishing out the money. All that said, I still like the vanilla M2TW because it is FAST and has better BATTLE graphics than Medieval I, although it is simply too dull.

Anyways, I have a few ideas that I've been thinking about but will probably never get done by myself. I like history and geography a lot, so if anything I could help with historical research. I liked the your Renaissance mod mainly because of the map:

I) Set the time period possibly from 1189-1648 with half year turns, basically from the third crusade and the fall of the crusader states to the thirty years' war. European history just seems to have sped up after the main crusades (1 through 3), and reached a head during the european religious wars. The renaissance was not until 100 years after the third crusade, so if you want to start like it is in version 2.75 at 1490 something than that's alright I guess.

II) The map is great. I modded the map, changed a few borders, and added a few cities here and there. I made it reflect more modern borders, especially around Germany. I even added a Vatican City so that you can take over Rome without eliminating the Pope (which sort of reflects Europa Universalis. In that game, the Pope and the Emperor exist outside of the map, so if you take over Rome you can't just eliminate them.) I also added a bunch of cities in the new world, because it just seems like it would be cool to have Europeans fighting over Brazil instead of just a one shot sort of deal with just one city representing a whole continent. I will also provide screenshots of what I modded.

III) The Reformation. I don't promote a move to Kingdoms (because I don't have it!), so I thought up a way to represent it with simply in the vanilla campaign. The Reformation was a lot like a Revolution, so the various Protestant groups that spawned during the period can just be factions that emerge at around 1500 for example (reformation started around 1517), with the Protestant religion already existing but with 0% adherents (no one protesting yet).
    Thus, there can be like a Dutch Republic, Brandenburg-Prussia, Sweden, Palatinate, Bohemia, etc that spawn at the Reformation and fight for independence against the Holy Roman Empire (which is semi-historically accurate. The Empire was a conglomerate of states, but in any case, the Protestants rebelled against the Catholic Emperor at the time.) In terms of conversion, it'll be impossible. So in England, there can be a Protestant England that emerges with the exact same skins and everything but just a different identifier and a different religion, and as the catholic player you are to supress the emerging faction (not historically accurate, but good enough I think). In the future if anyone wants to play as the Protestants, the campaign can be divided in two, one pre-Reformation (where if you're catholic, you fight to stay catholic) and a post-Reformation campaign.
    I've played Europa Universalis where you can convert religion and everything, and it's cool the first time, but most of the time I just wanted to keep the same religion anyway for stability. This way, at least it's historically accurate, although you don't have as much freedom (like spain won't go protestant for example).

And that's about it. Units are easy, the important thing is the rise of gunpowder artillery and pike formations to counter knights, and then later muskets. Keep up the good work! Right now I've just been modding the map and blowing away large chunks of infantry with basilisks. So if you guys are interested in my map or any of my ideas, let me know. Thanks A LOT for the base files, I give all the credit to whoever made the files. Thanks again.

NOTE: also, i added the screenshots of the modded map in the "Screenshots Thread - Now Indeed with Screenshots!"
    Last edited by papabear198931; November 14, 2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: more info