Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Example fort revision.

Default Re: Example fort revision.

Quote Originally Posted by twmodder View Post
    BTW: I have an Problem using the IWTE tool, when I've made some changes in ms3d files.
    When I want to include the edited models back into the world file, it says:

What does that mean?
    That's not enough information to work from;
    possibility one - you did some other operations with the tool first and have found a sequence of operations which makes it fall over (it is a beta)

possibility two - there's something about your new .ms3d that it doesn't like - maybe having two groups with same name, having more than two textures (due to merging files), having comments in the group sections etc...

please try testing as follows : launch the IWTE tool again - and without doing anything else first, load a binary .world, select a structure and write the .ms3d to file, then try putting that newly created .ms3d back in via replace ms3d file..... that should work - it does in all our testing, if you have problem with that, then, there is some problem with compatibility versus either your computer or the specific .world you're working from.

If you can't get it working please explain which .world you're using as base, which structure you're working on and please provide a screenshot of the .dos window error message - the bits we'd need include the lines above the part you quoted... where it lists file line numbers etc..

Quote Originally Posted by twmodder View Post
    Maybe I can start modeling when this problem gets solved.
    Other question in this direction: I see, When I pack/unpack a structure model, the worldcollision file and animinstances are also affected. Does that mean my changes are applied to them automatically, so I do not have to edit them? I couldnt believe this
    Both the .worldcollision and .animinstances files have to have the same number of objects as the .world file. The editor amends them to the extent that if you add objects in middle of .world file listing, by increasing number of groups in a structure, then it adds default blank bits for those new objects in .worldcollision and .animinstances, this is the minimum necessary to prevent game crashing and to preserve the characteristics of all the other existing objects..... It doesn't automatically put new collisions in for the new objects (you can do that later with 'add object collision'), and we can't yet add animations at all for new objects. Do remember you need to keep the three files 'together' as a matched sets with the same number of objects.

There's a thread for queries about the editor here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=323503
    please read the bit in my post about naming conventions for new / existing objects, if you're having trouble with your .ms3d files.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    faction specific settlements / things re-routed by pkgs don't seem to turn up reliably in custom battles, it still tends to default to original ones - so do try testing from campaign generated battles.

I think I have a fix for the faction fort issue with custom battles, doing some tests now to see ;-)

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

possibility two - there's something about your new .ms3d that it doesn't like - maybe having two groups with same name, having more than two textures (due to merging files), having comments in the group sections etc...
    I think so, but I didnt make a great work yet. I only moved some verticles for testing, to see if it works.

please try testing as follows : launch the IWTE tool again - and without doing anything else first, load a binary .world, select a structure and write the .ms3d to file, then try putting that newly created .ms3d back in via replace ms3d file..... that should work - it does in all our testing, if you have problem with that, then, there is some problem with compatibility versus either your computer or the specific .world you're working from.
    When I'm trying it with your forts, it works. But there is really a problem with the huge cities. I cannot
    replace any ms3d file or save the world fileThere is no way.
    I'll test the same with smaller levels, although huge cities would be the best.
    ---------------
    Edit: Large City works, I tried it. And I saw the edited structure in game.
    I will use the large City now for my new settlement.
    -------------
    Edit 2: Tried it a new time and Huge City works too. I think I just have to do it properly.
    So my problem is solved.

Although A screen of the error while replacing ms3d:

Thanks for your good Instructions!
    Next time I will post my problems with the tool in the thread that you mentioned.
    Last edited by twmodder; January 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM.

thanks for the feedback - glad you've got it working

The problem with huge city might have been bug in tool after all - huge city and a few of the other files, have peculiarity in some complexes where one object (which uses two groups) has one group in each of two structures....
    Wilddog did do something to work round that previously, but there might be a case we missed - will try and double check that and error message.

wolfslayer's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by wolfslayer View Post
    I think I have a fix for the faction fort issue with custom battles, doing some tests now to see ;-)
    I rarely use custom battle for forts, mainly because I can't see the effect of experienced generals in settlement battles, but the faction forts sure do work for me.

You might have some pkg file conficts.

When I have that issue I use a utility like Examine32 to search for a faction name like "cumans" with the wildcard *.worldpkgdesc for the file extension, and then search my entire vanilla and mod settlement folders for dupes, and if I find any, disabling the ones I don't want to load.

Viewing and editing MTW2 textures with MWthumb and DXTbmp

Gorrrrrn's Avatar Citizen

had a campaign battle using the pkh_base_sq fort.

problem may be BAI related but the two defending units crowded around the base of the left-hand gate tower (seen from outside)
    one was an archer unit which one would normally expect to deploy on the walls.
    also the right-hand side wall (seen from outside facing front) appears to only have one place you can put ladders.
    Is that correct?

(don't suppose the plaza could be sited more towards the rear of the courtyard?)

(I can replay the battle a few times to check if you like.)

You can move the plaza to any desired position quite easily - convert the .world file from binary > text with the IWTE editor search the _world.txt file it produces to find 'plaza'
    you'll find something like:
    Code:
    5 Plaza
    4            # characteristics count...
    10 GameObject        1 1
    14 GameObjectName        5 Plaza
    14 GameObjectType        5 box2d
    8 HoldTime        1 5
      +0.0000944  -27.9999084  2   +1.0000000   +0.0000000   +0.0000000   +1.0000000  2  +20.0000000  +20.0000000
    +0.0000944 -27.9999084
    are the x and z co-ordinates increasing the z co-ordinate say to +10.0000 would push it further back
    the
    +20.0000000 +20.0000000
    at the end are the dimensions of the plaza you can tweak those too.

It'd only be trial and error to get what you want.... save .txt file and convert it back to binary with the tool.

Ladder positions (docking points) are only those that were originally in stone_fort_D which it's based on. I've been able to add a docking point on experimental version of something else, but wasn't really intending to do it for this, its already got more breach / docking points than some of the other forts.

I've not seen that problem with deployment in my tests with it, do please let me know if that repeats itself.

Herewith pkh_base_sq.world in a pkh_base_sq folder which has the plaza moved to makanyane's co-ordinates above.
    (should anyone want to use it.)
    Attachment 71379

----
    dunno if this a good place to ask but is there an easy way to add ballista towers to the castles that normally have them which are being used as preplaced forts?

(I'm thinking maybe it will require substantial editing of the .world files?
    Rather than a simple edit of the .wordlpkgdesc file perhaps with by adding towerlevel the same as fortificationlevel?)
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 25, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

erm, I wasn't suggesting those were going to be correct co-ordinates to change to.... (in fact they might have been the ones where it was placed previously) - I was just providing example of where the information was located.....

did it look like it worked when tested?

-----

I'm not sure about getting ballista towers to work in forts, don't think the answer is in the .world files....
    you could switch models around so towers always looked like ballista towers, but there's nothing I've spotted in .world file which associates to the type of projectile used. Although the different tower upgrades have different anim strings sections, like;
    17 DamageTransition0
    138 BlockSet/North_European/Animations/Tower_Castle_Animations/Castle_Large_Stone_Tower_Animations/large_castle_balista_tower_animation_a.anim
    I think that only relates to the damage collapse animation.

Not something we've gone far into, as we're generally getting rid of tower upgrades as being unrealistic for our time period / castle level, and that only needs EDB changes.

experimenting on .wordlpkgdesc wouldn't take long to find out if it'll take it... (don't forget there's a count of items to follow about half way through that would need updating if you try to add something)

yes I did test the plaza placement on the pkh_base_sq fort.
    took longer to test than download and do the editing.

tx for info re ballista towers.

suspected if it was really easy someone might already have done it !!

(nb these are the settlement castles: castle, large_castle, fortress that I'm using as forts in my wee mod.
    so it's "just" a question of putting the towers on that can already be built or defined in the settlement section of the descr_strat.
    so all the info has to be in the game already somewhere.)

will let you know if I stumble upon a solution.
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; January 26, 2010 at 07:42 AM.

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

well changing ambiants to villages just got a whole lot easier for us so can happily make progress on that front.

and

Hi, I've been trying to get something like this working in a mod of my own, I even opened a thread about it a few days ago. I was trying to replace the SE motte and baily with stone_fort_d. I'd spent hours over days trying different combinations in the .worldpkgdecr file. All resulted in either a CTD or the default motte and baily. Now thanks to Irishron I re-found this thread. So I've used the much improved fort linked to in the op, pkh_base_sq and set it as a motte and baily for SE culture.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm still getting a motte and baily on the battle map, testing in campaign.
    I don't know where I am going wrong with this, I wanted any SE culture that captures an existing village to be able to transform it into a fortified outpost (Stone Fort) via the convert to in EDB.

If you can spare a little time to offer some advice, I'd be most greatfull.

Edit, when you say in the op, 'copy settlements folder over settlements' you mean in the download, right? Not from the vanilla folder?
    Last edited by Eothese; October 01, 2010 at 02:19 PM.

Dutch-Balrog's Avatar Domesticus

could some1 please explain me step for step how to install the square fort into stainless steel? or give me a link to the page where i can find it? Sry i know how to mod the units but i am a noob with the more difficult things
    Last edited by Dutch-Balrog; December 15, 2010 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dikkelul3bier View Post
    could some1 please explain me step for step how to install the square fort into stainless steel? or give me a link to the page where i can find it? Sry i know how to mod the units but i am a noob with the more difficult things
    You need to tell me more about Stainless Steel mod - and where you want to add the fort....
    (I haven't got SS on computer at the moment) If SS has permanent forts and you just want to replace one of them with this then you'd find the bit in the
    mods/ss/data/world/maps/campaign.... descr_strat.txt file that looks a bit like
    region Reading_Province

farming_level 0
    famine_threat 0
    fort 220 53 pkh_cliff_c culture northern_european
    and just change the name of the fort its looking for to pkh_cliff_c

that will work with the files I've provided if you put them in right place... - if you want it to replace something else like a general built fort or a settlement then you'd need to make a different .worldpkgdesc file

You need to tell me more about Stainless Steel mod - and where you want to add the fort....
    (I haven't got SS on computer at the moment) If SS has permanent forts and you just want to replace one of them with this then you'd find the bit in the
    mods/ss/data/world/maps/campaign.... descr_strat.txt file that looks a bit like

and just change the name of the fort its looking for to pkh_cliff_c

that will work with the files I've provided if you put them in right place... - if you want it to replace something else like a general built fort or a settlement then you'd need to make a different .worldpkgdesc file
    i just want it for custom battles. the ss mod has no permanent forts. and wich files do i need to put where exectly? i just tried to place the map in the right path and change the name of it to stone_fort_a, but that didnt work
    Last edited by Dutch-Balrog; December 17, 2010 at 06:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dikkelul3bier View Post
    i just want it for custom battles. the ss mod has no permanent forts. and wich files do i need to put where exectly? i just tried to place the map in the right path and change the name of it to stone_fort_a, but that didnt work
    erm, confused now as I didn't think you could get stone_fort_a to come up for custom battles?????

you could place this as an ambient settlement with the battle editor and make a custom tile that you could get to from custom battle menu.... but that wouldn't have plaza and gate etc working.

to get it working from custom battle menu in place of northern_european castle you'd take all of download contents and place the unzipped 'pkh' folder inside data/settlements in your mod folder. then copy the pkh_base_sq.world and pkh_base_sq.worldcollision files from there and paste them into
    yourmodfolder/data/settlements/north_european/castles/castle/ and rename them to
    north_european_castle_a.world and north_european_castle_a.worldcollision

NOTE: that will replace all the NE castles with the fort, on the campaign map as well.... but you can always reverse it by renaming the files again etc.

Just tried to get it to come up as 'Fort' in custom battle (on my game that was normally using the ne_fort) if that's what yours uses you can get it to replace it by as above;

unzip the download - copy PKH folder into data/settlements

copy pkh_base_sq.world and .worldcollision files

place them in data/settlements/north_european/ambient_settlements/fort/
    and rename them to
    ne_fort_a.world and .worldcollision..

(would be the same system if you wanted to replace stone_fort_a specifically)

Just tried to get it to come up as 'Fort' in custom battle (on my game that was normally using the ne_fort) if that's what yours uses you can get it to replace it by as above;

unzip the download - copy PKH folder into data/settlements

copy pkh_base_sq.world and .worldcollision files

place them in data/settlements/north_european/ambient_settlements/fort/
    and rename them to
    ne_fort_a.world and .worldcollision..

(would be the same system if you wanted to replace stone_fort_a specifically)
    I did everything you said in the 2 posts above, but i still get the vanilla stone fort and castle i think i will just wait for the mod to come out
    Last edited by Dutch-Balrog; December 20, 2010 at 06:38 AM.

Both the Rozmods have PSFs for Stainless Steel:
    Town and castle: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=351309
    Alltowns : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=402099
    and there's also
    PSFs for vanilla SS6.3 Late campaign : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=411079

hope this helps.

RozMods include 2 PKH forts by permission of wilddog and makanyane
    Last edited by Gorrrrrn; December 20, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123