Thread: from Empire to Napoleon blog for CA

Dodanodo's Avatar Tiro

Icon1 from Empire to Napoleon blog for CA

I am making this letter to CA to make some suggestions for napoleon and to point out some stuff they should have used from past TW games. heres the first part. go ahead and give me some feedback if you want. I will be updating it when I come up with new things to say. I hope you will enjoy it.

Dear members of The Creative Assembly,
    I have been a fan of Total War games since Rome first came out. For its time it was a revolutionary game. With all its great features and possibilities it truly deserves to be called one of the best and most successful historic strategy games and an old time classic. I’m sure people will continue to praise that game for many years to come. I am, however, not writing this to tell you how wonderful I thought Rome: total war is. I’m sure you already know this. No, I am writing this because of recent complications with Empire Total war. Now I know you probable think by now that I am going to tell you about all things I thought were wrong with Empire. And your right, I am. But more importantly I am going to talk about the good things about Empire and its predecessors, and about the things I hope I can persuade you to do different in Napoleon.

Chapter I: The beauty of a new world.
    There were many things I liked about Empire Total war. Mainly in the campaign mode the addition of sea battles, towns in regions and the many different factions you put in. but also smaller things, like how every faction spoke a different language, or that certain cities have unique buildings. Such details are usually well accepted by fans and add a nice touch to a game. Other things in the battles were hiding behind walls, garrisoning buildings, being able to see the range of your soldiers weapons, etc. Etc. You already know these things because it were all the new and exciting stuff you put in for that reason. To make people excited about the game and to give it that new feeling. But sometimes new isn’t always better.

Chapter II: The shadow of a past Empire.
    Sometimes it’s best to look at what was done well last time instead of putting in more new stuff. For example: city battles. Did you ever receive much criticism about how you had done the city battles in Rome (besides: it always looks the same.)? I bet not as much as your getting now. People love to defend cities. At least I did. It was one of my favourite things in Rome (and also Medieval II). Mainly because in Rome, being in a city actually had advantages. You needed siege weapons to even attack (which could usually buy you a turn or two if you were defending), archers on the wall were allot harder to kill then on the ground, often you would lose allot of men just by walking towards the wall, gates and towers were an easy way to defend yourself and kill allot of enemies and enemies could even be forced to retreat by destroying their siege towers or lighting their siege rams in flames. Now, in Empire, you don’t need any rams or ladders or even artillery. You can just rappel an entire army on a wall in a matter of minutes. Now I realise you probably did this for the sake of time so sieges wouldn’t last for hours but it’s not exactly what I would call realistic and it probably did more harm than good. That is why my first request to you, CA, is to please PLEASE, if you’re not going to put in city battles at least, for the sake of not only gameplay but also realism, get rid of the ‘rappel up a star fort’ and put back the good old ladders that maybe take a turn to build. This way, forts become not only easier to defend and harder to attack, it also makes artillery more important and possible gives you or the computer a chance to bring in reinforcements. Also, very importantly, make a fort not only a bit harder to kill but also allow its guns to be manned without a battalion of troops having to stand behind it and make them a bit more powerful or put up some more guns. I’m sure, at the time, a fort had enough people to man the guns it had, even without a garrisoning army. Now these are simple changes, that you should easily be able to make, that would make playing a siege battle much more enjoyable, realistic, and challenging for attackers. And don’t worry if it make sieges last a bit longer, that gives players more reasons not to attack a fort. Which wasn’t done very often anyway. There are many other things to make forts more challenging and fun to play but right now the things I said above are easiest to implement and make a ton of difference. End of part one.
    Last edited by Dodanodo; November 15, 2009 at 03:04 AM.

Default Re: from Empire to Napoleon blog for CA

As everyone here knows, I am no CA fanboy.

But.....

I agree 100% with their decision not to include full walled city battles. In essence, in the era of ETW seiges were typically of fortresses and rarely fortress city's. Very, very very very rarely was there much combat in the center of the major cities of Europe. In fact, there really wasn't. War was a gentleman's game that sort of appeared of the carnage of the 30 years war and the various civil and religious wars that follwed. Typically, and when a nations army lost a major battle, thats it the war was over. I just dont see the need to have a huge battle fought in say, Paris, when (unless the mob had taken control ) there would be no way that a campaign would have gotten that far.

The exception, of course, is the penisula campaign. I highly doubt CA would be able to successfully portray those events though with their british centric ETW original release anythings possible

Dodanodo's Avatar Tiro

true, you are right, I know. but I did suggest it as a possibilaty because city battles were so much fun in the past and I really think it good make some people less jugmentel about Empire. also, I mainly meant to say they should add back a few elements from previous games sieges such as ladders and self fireing cannons on the wall.

Forgive my lack of proper English in the previous post, I was knackered

Its uh kinda late to make a letter persuading them how to do stuff man. I mean, how long have they been working on NTW? And how long did that begin BEFORE they decided to tell us it was coming out?

Dodanodo's Avatar Tiro

I know, thats why I am making suggestions that are easalie put in.

I think the city battles would be cool. Also, star forts should be MUCH bigger and intricate - Empire has NOT done them justice.

The City of Geneva had a huge star fort around it in the 18th century and it would be a welcome addition to seeing this portrayed.
    Last edited by Silent Gent~; November 16, 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I guess all that vaunted research went into the ship plans cos iit`s not anywhere else... certainly no research was put into Star forts and sieges.

Dodanodo's Avatar Tiro

I really think they should have done the forts better, sieges are an important part of total war games. like Humble Warrior said, they probable put to much effort on the research of ships.
    sea battles were done for the first time so I think few people would have blamed them for being a bit inaccurate there. much less atleast then they are now for the sieges. such a shame CA focused to much on looks.

nice pic BTW Silent Gent
    Last edited by Dodanodo; November 16, 2009 at 12:55 PM.

No, that isn't a banana

ummm...the AI performs bad enough on what passes for a star fort in ETW - I can only imagine what would happen if the AI was confronted with a real iteration of a star fort.

I envision a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" warning, followed by a sizzling sound, a puff of smoke, and the powering down of my entire neighbourhood.

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by OTZ View Post
    ummm...the AI performs bad enough on what passes for a star fort in ETW - I can only imagine what would happen if the AI was confronted with a real iteration of a star fort.

I envision a "DOES NOT COMPUTE" warning, followed by a sizzling sound, a puff of smoke, and the powering down of my entire neighbourhood.
    Haha! Well put.
    Work of God

Sailor's Avatar Tiro

I think Empire made a huge leap forward in minimizing the number of siege battles fought. For me, they've always been a weak aspect of the game. Also, it makes a lot more sense in Empire how defending units which rout in a siege battle actually flee the city/fort rather than rally at the city square.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :usflag:

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    I think Empire made a huge leap forward in minimizing the number of siege battles fought. For me, they've always been a weak aspect of the game. Also, it makes a lot more sense in Empire how defending units which rout in a siege battle actually flee the city/fort rather than rally at the city square.
    Well lucky you. I guess the whining against sieges in RTW and MTW2 worked then for ETW, because they are rubbish now and not worth having.

I for one, love sieges as they are an integral part of warfare and should never be ignored in a game about warfare.