Thread: [A.H] Imperator Romanus

Default [A.H] Imperator Romanus

This short story will focus on Rome's war with King Philip V of Macedon with the antagonist being Titus Memmius Flaminius, Consul. I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter I

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Rome, 200BC, the Senate House is crowded, row upon row of Senators are eagerly awaiting the Consul, Titus Flaminius, to commence. Excitement fills the musty air of the Temple of Mars, the venue was significant, war is looming.
    ‘Senators, you all know why you are here’ The Consul began. ‘We have met with Philip V of Macedon and our representative has returned from his mission. I invite Vibius Luccinius cognomen Italicus to take the floor and report to the House.’

Senator Gaius Hortensius Italicus, the Censor, was a highly valued member who had served in many campaigns and his reputation was formed upon the back of countless victories up and down the Italian Peninsula.
    ‘Esteemed Consul, it is my duty to report to the House the truth sworn by Jupiter Optimus Maximus.
    I met the King of Macedon, fittingly, in his fortress town of Larissa which he was using as a base for his campaigns against the splintered Greek City States. I then made him fully aware of what we thought about his Empire building, his disruption of the status quo in the Mediterranean, his extravagant plans to unit Greece under the banner of Macedon and capture Egypt, and what did he do Senators?’ He boomed. ‘He laughed in my face! He insulted not only my dignitas but the dignitas of Rome herself! He says “A big fish will eat small fish; a powerful nation will be the victors over small ones. Run back to Rome with the tail between your legs and tend to your own affairs for you Romans are not welcome here.’ The Senate House was boiling, angry mutters erupted from every corner and the Consul was on the verge of losing the House.

‘Silence Senators, I can understand your feelings but we have to discuss them in a civilised manner, lest we fall to the level of a Macedonian like Philip.’
    He sat back down in his Curile chair and nodded to Decius Aurelius Cotta to speak, his colleague in the office that year.
    ‘The Greek Cities are weak Senators, they will not hold out long against a foe such as the Macedonians and also, a good half of them are on the side of King Philip making the plight of the others even bleaker. We should make contact with the City States; an alliance with them for their good should be a priority for us.’
    ‘Consul Decius Aurelius’ Interjected Italicus ‘If you do not mind me interrupting, I have made enquiries in the name of Rome into who would support us in a campaign against Philip, it seems that they consider both Rome and Macedon to be worthy foes and the vast majority are hedging their bets before committing to either side.’ He sat back down and Cotta rose once again.
    ‘Thank you Italicus, in that case I believe that we are strong enough to fight Philip of Macedon on our own but we must act fast, we must be decisive and we must not talk for too long, Consul.’

Flaminius took a moment to rise, his face that of one lost in deep thought. His limbs casually arranged in the classic Roman pose. Steely eyes rooted on the statue of Mars.
    ‘Mars, the god of war, offer what you can to him Senators, we shall need his blessing. All those in favour of going to war against King Philip of Macedon pass to my right, those against pass to my left.’
    Marcus Titonius Barbatus, Pro Consul took to the floor. ‘Before we cast our votes Consul, shall we make it clear that we are going to war against King Philip or to the aid of the Greek Cities? Your colleague in office Decius Aurelius makes it very clear, at least to me, that we should go Greece to protect them, to keep their freedom yet you are proposing the complete conquest of Macedonia. Let us protect the Greeks, let them be indebted to us, let them pay us tribute but let us also defeat Philip’s forces on the battlefield, bleed him dry then again exact tribute. This way we do not have to rule Macedonia ourselves, but we secure the financial wellbeing of Rome.’ Barbatus, a well known opponent to Flaminius sat back down and waited for his response.

‘Senator Barbatus makes a fine point and he argues his case well. Are his points what you were thinking, fellow Consul Aurelius?’
    ‘They are Flaminius’.
    ‘Very well, all those in favour of Senator Barbatus pass to my right, all those against pass to my left.’
    The proposal was passed, with only Flaminius and his followers opposing the measure, a minor victory for Barbatus and his camp. Aurelius concluded the meeting.

Chapter 2

It worried Flaminius how the sheep had followed the wolf that was Barbatus, like lambs to the slaughter they obeyed him. His solitary walk back to his Palatine home gave him lots of time to reflect on the meeting that day.
    ‘I had them!’ He screamed to the twilight! ‘I was minutes away from a command to capture Macedonia for Rome’s glory, for my glory, Barbatus will pay for this! I am Consul and I will get my command for it is rightfully mine.’
    ‘That’s the spirit brother!’ Interjected Flaminius’ brother in law, Quintus Claudius Rufus, who held such a close bond with Flaminius that they were known to call each other brother even in public.
    ‘Ave Rufus! What a fright you gave me, but how is now the question; come dine with me tonight and we shall work out a plan to defeat Barbatus. I’ll invite Lucius Didius Niger as well; maybe he will help us out. It has been a bad day Rufus, we have lost face today.’

Niger and Rufus did indeed join Flaminius to dine that evening; they were joined by Flaminius’ wife Porcia and the wives of Niger and Rufus; Tertulla and Servilia. They had barely sat down before Demetrius, Flaminius’ slave, cautiously popped his head around the door to say that dinner was being served. Flaminius led the party on the short way to the dining room. On a grander occasion all five couches would have been around the knee-high table which was situated in the prettiest and brightest part of the room. Today though three of those couches were backed up against the wall so all the party could dine within talking distance.
    Servants came to help the men out of their togas, such unwieldy items made reclining practically impossible. Bowls were presented before them to wash their hands in and soft towels also to dry them, such was custom.

‘Good evening Servilia, you are looking well.’ Exclaimed Flaminius.
    ‘Thank you brother, yes, dear Rufus is treating me well. We are trying for a baby’.
    ‘That’s great news!’ Cried Niger. ‘Bring in some wine Flaminius.’
    ‘Always looking for the wine Niger, some people never change!’ Joked Rufus.
    Wine was brought in to them and the males happily drank to Rufus and Servilia, the food was delicious and in n time at all it had all been devoured.
    ‘Well, I think it is time us women left the men to their business’ Declared Porcia. ‘Come, we shall go to my rooms ladies.’
    The males visibly relaxed when the women left the room. They could now begin to discuss Barbatus and more importantly, what to do about him.
    ‘I want that command’ Began Flaminius. ‘We know’ Said Niger. ‘But how?’
    ‘He will try to give it to Italicus for sure, the people love him, and the Senate love him. He is a hero to them.’
    ‘Quite right Rufus but I am Consul. Surely I must be able to do something eh Niger?’
    ‘We could try to get Italicus to put his weight behind you Flaminius, if he agrees then it will be plain sailing’.
    The evening wore on until darkness fell around them and after hours of though they came back to Niger’s solution. ‘Very well then, I will go and see Italicus tomorrow, I believe his legs are getting bad, he could cry bad health. It’s a long shot; he is a stubborn old goat!’

---

Morning broke and Flaminius made the short trip to Italicus’ house, his thoughts racing, if this meeting did not go well then he could shout farewell to his Macedonian dream. He knocked twice on Italicus’ door.
    ‘Ave Senator Flaminius, Italicus is expecting you.’ Greeted the slave and showed him into the lounge where Italicus was waiting for him with refreshments, water at such an hour.
    ‘Ave Flaminius, I got your letter requesting a meeting, Demetrius made quite sure the letter was received, he brought it himself. You are exactly on time, not too early, not too late. You are welcome in my home.’
    ‘I thank you Italicus, yes Demetrius is very trustworthy, an asset to the household. I trust you know why I am here.’
    ‘Of course Flaminius, I had Barbatus around here just yesterday, barely three hours since Aurelius Cotta formally closed the meeting.’ The Hairs on the back of Flaminius’ neck stood up and he visibly stiffened, so Barbatus had come grovelling had he? And old man Italicus here had a finger in each pie, oh how I envy such a man.
    ‘Ah, he beat me to it did he?’ Joked Flaminius.
    ‘He was not fooling me though. I knew that you would want the command; if I were still Consul I would want it too. No, I refused him outright, no arguments. He wasn’t happy mind you but that doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I have seen too many wars and this one sounds like a farce alright, protect the freedom of the Greeks? Not for me I am afraid.’
    Flaminius breathed a breath of fresh air, oh how wonderful it was today, the birds singing in the trees outside the door of Italicus’ house, the smell of fresh bread wafting in from the kitchen.
    ‘I thank you most sincerely Italicus, it was hard for me to come today. I am sorry to leave you so early but I have a campaign to prepare for!’ I shall see you in the Senate tomorrow.’
    ‘You will, goodbye Flaminius and good luck.’

Chapter 3

When the Senate was assembled the following morning Flaminius was in great spirits, something Barbatus was not he duly noted. Barbatus was sitting in his usual seat, surrounded by the usual people but anger radiated before him like the rays from the sun; it brought a chuckle to Flaminius’ cheeks as he stood to address the multitude.
    ‘Senators, as you know, yesterday we passed a decree to go to the aid of the Greek City States who are on the verge of being incorporated into the newly forged Macedonian Empire which threatens to throw the Mediterranean power balance into turmoil. Only one question remains Senators, who shall lead the legions? The floor is open.’
    Publius Lucinius Bibulus, ex Praetor took to the floor when no Senators higher than him elected to speak.
    ‘There is only one candidate Senators, our senior Consul Titus Memmius Flaminius. As rightful Consul he should be leading this campaign.’
    The Praetor Marcus Junius Balbus leapt up off his stool. ‘Nay! Flaminius has no military experience, King Philip would make mincemeat out of him Bibulus!’
    ‘How do you know that Balbus, every man needs a chance, he has served his ten campaigns so I see no reason why he should not be elected to lead the men to Greece. Who would you suggest then?’
    Flaminius was listening to these two argue with growing joy, any time now and Italicus will be mentioned.
    ‘Italicus! What beter man do we have?’
    Italicus cleared his throat and took to the floor, taking his time to reach the centre and dramatising his limp which he had had since the Italian War. Faminius’ heartbeat quickened.
    ‘I am honoured to, once again, be nominated to lead the legions. Not many people have the chance to lead them and I have led them countless times. I am not young anymore, my eyes are failing me and my legs have already jumped ship. I claim ill heath, my days are up in the field, let a new man lead them. Flaminius is a worthy candidate who has served under me in his earlier years, let him lead them.’
    With that the house were satisfied, Italicus had many tame senators who helped pass the vote by a landslide. Flaminius was going to Greece.

---

The wind ruffled Flavius’ hair as he leant over the bow of the ship, Brundisium fading quickly o a spec on the horizon. Only the Adriatic Sea now stood between Flaminius and Greece. He turned at smiled at young Capito, his seventeen year old son, who was showing no signs of sea-sickness which pleased Flaminius. ‘Ave Capito, we shall soon be there.’
    ‘We will father, it feels good to be out of Rome, it can become too cramped don’t you think?’
    ‘Yes, I often feel that way, I have yearned for a command ever since the Punics. You do realise that can show you know favouritism during this campaign don’t you Capito, you will be eating, sleeping and excreting with the other Cadets.’
    ‘Of course Pater, I will not disappoint. Look! Land!’

Dry land was in sight, the East Macedonian coast rose up from the ground to inspiring heights. Flaminius was heading for Epirus, the homeland of the defeated King Pyrrhus. This was a strategically important area, sheltered by the mighty mountains of Aetolia on the other side of which Macedonia and King Philip lay. Acarnania was also home to Greeks who had chosen the side of Rome.
    Flaminius was competent with logistics, and this became evident as he effortlessly had his legions construct an imposing camp with access to fresh, clean water and sanitary arrangements. In his headquarters in the centre of the camp he met with his second in command Marcus Claudius Pulcher.
    ‘So, Pulcher, we now await the reports to come back in of the enemy’s whereabouts. This should have been made before we set sail but time was not on our side, Philip is expected to show his hand this summer.’
    ‘Oh good, a quick campaign, there are no things better. We have the veterans of the Italian War with us, four good legions of them, I doubt Philip can field a force able to deal with us.’
    ‘Do not underestimate Philip though Pulcher, he is an able and cunning commander, he also has an abundance of Alexander’s blood in him. If that is not a reason to treat him with respect I do not know.’
    The sun was setting outside and the camp settled down for the night, it should be a quiet one but Flaminius took no chances and posted regular sentries. Flaminius was in Greece at last.
    Last edited by Deux; November 16, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
    [A.H] Imperator Romanus - In The Writer's Study, come join us!
    A Guide to the Differences of the Roman Factions - Take a look!

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: [A.H] Imperator Romanus

Very nice story, well done.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Thanks Katsumoto, it is only the first chapter theres a lot to write yet! I should be able to get it up in say two or three days, I don't like to rush writing. This goes to anyon, feel free to say what you don't like or especially enjoy. Any spelling/ grammar mistakes just shout 'em out. Same goes if you notice any historical discrepencies

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Deux View Post
    Any spelling/ grammar mistakes just shout 'em out. Same goes if you notice any historical discrepencies
    You have opened a great can of worms by asking that we Grammar Nazis inform you. Prepare to be bombarded by great waves of corrections!

For example, this sentence:

‘Senator Barbatus makes a fine point and has argued his case well, are his points what you were thinking, fellow Consul Decius Aurelius?'

should, ideally, be:

‘Senator Barbatus makes a fine point, and has argued his case well. Are his points what you were thinking, fellow Consul Aurelius?'

Senators were called by their cognomen, as were Consuls. Don't use the praenomen in official senatorial addresses or comments, if you please. It would be like saying "How are you, Queen Elizabeth II Windsor?", instead of "How are you, Your Majesty", or "How are you, Queen Elizabeth?". This is only a small historical detail. I added a period between "well" and "are" so as to clip two unrelated sentence fragments into two separate sentences!

"Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Thanks for the advice Winterlight, I hope I have confronted my demons in this chapter. Chapter 2 has been added, short chapters I know but nothing much has happened...yet! I hope you enjoy it.

I like it... Very much so.

Chapter three added. I hope you don't mind me putting it in spoiler.

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

It is probably better in a spoiler, especially when they begin to lengthen (I'm looking at you, Katsumoto! )

The only problem with that is we can only give reputation points to your post once. We can't keep repping each addition to your story if it's in the first post. Anyway, if your intent is to create good fiction and not to get "bling", then that is that.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Alright, I'll put it in spoilers your Majesty
    Good addition to the story, just try and space it out a bit better, so it's easier to read.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Nah i'm not too fussed about rep, I may even disable it again. As long as the responses seem positive then that's good enough for me, of not then I will try to improve it. Already it is probably the longest thing I have wrote, definately in the past couple of years, at 5 A4 word processed pages even in size 10. I don't like Word's layout though so I will go back over it and sort out spacing and things to make it easier on the eye.