View Poll Results: New Map you want in next version!

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Map from Europa Barbarorum ("Mundus Magnus")

10 47.62%
  • Map from Res Gestae

10 47.62%
  • RTR6 Map (current)

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Map??

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default New Map??

I'm wondering if the map should be changed in next version... Please vote!

Here are 3 candicates - not that I have borrowed them, no guarantee
    1. Map from Europa Barbarorum ("Mundus Magnus"):

pros: larger than RTR6 map, region sizes are balanced
      cons: known reinforcement CTD, limited Mauryan territory

2. Map from Res Gestae:

pros: huge, extended to india
      cons: many useless regions in western europe, limited Saka territory, untested

3. RTR6 Map (current):

pros: small and the competition between factions is fierce (no place for rebels).
      cons: known reinforcement CTD, incorrect eastern parts, limited Mauryan territory

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Default Re: New Map??

PS: Please tell if you know other maps

There is also the warmap(used in rs 1.x I think) or something like this and webbird-s map:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...72#post1063772
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=125577
    Both stop far short of your eastern needs though.
    I think I`ve already told you before. I have a RTRPE map extended to the south(enough to have Syene on the map), but that doesn`t help you at all with the mauryans of course.

Another thing with the mundus magnus and rg`s map is that they also covers alot of Africa. You`d have to include a nubian faction or at least add lots of aor units if you include that. This could be a good thing depending on how you look at it. Personally I`ve always wanted to play Meroe.

I like the RG map.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

@florin80: have you found any reinforcement CTD problem with RG map?? I got a hell lot of them in Mesopotamia in the current map....

Someone did report it once for Damascus iirc. I can`t see any other reports and I haven`t really played rg to experience it myself.

By current map you mean the RTRPE one?

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Yes

Also, I think the original RTR 7 map is available for use as well if you're interested...

You need to check this with [user]Muizer[/user] first though...

Problem there might be that aqd seems to be expecting the new map to contain the regions too and iirc that wasn`t something available for a public release when it comes to the rtr 7 map.

True... Good point. Maybe he could edit his current one to fit on the new map with some changes...?

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

You might find mine useful, too. It's a heavily optimized version of the RTRPE map.

It doesn't go too far to the east, but it does have a Bosporus section of which I'm quite proud:

Oh, and CC and Antonov are working on their own, and I think they're spending much more space on India.

Edit: I really need to properly implement the different sea depths, don't I? I'm so tempted to just start using the RTR7 map and not put more work into this one, but I do like how I've got the AI behaving.
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

I voted the EB map. I like the RG map but I don't like that he has subtracted land to N.A. from Carthage and I don't like that the map is angled. I prefer the EB, a big map and put N.S. as the Vanilla one.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    I like the RG map but I don't like that he has subtracted land to N.A. from Carthage
    What do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Domitianus View Post
    I like the RG map but I don't like that he has subtracted land to N.A. from Carthage and I don't like that the map is angled. I prefer the EB, a big map and put N.S. as the Vanilla one.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There's nothing missing for Carthage??

Or do you believe the theory the Phoenicians reached America?
    Last edited by Pat89; November 10, 2009 at 12:28 PM.

That was the cause of my confusion too. If anything, on the rg map you have more of the Atlantic cost in case you feel the need to emulate Hanno the Navigator.

I am going with the eb map. However, if you can, i suggest using the original rtr7 map that PatricianS suggests. When i saw that i thought HolyHotDam* That map is huge. I ok with the RTR7 map or the eb map. Your mod, your choice
    Last edited by The Guy With No Imagination; November 11, 2009 at 10:40 AM.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

I'd go with the RTR 7 one as well, since it is the largest (which is good) and most geographically accurate of them. I would offer my own, but it hasn't been finished yet
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Largest is not really good pure and simple. Large maps make for longer loading times and there`s also the distance to capital issue that is more acute for a map of this sort because unless I remember wrong the distance is hardcoded and expressed in the number of tiles. With the maximum of regions being hardcoded at 199 land regions you`re bound to have huge areas that make only a few provinces. Add the rebels popping up over great distances. Establishing an empire there is bound to be annoying.

I prefer RG map because it is an only map in which one can conquer almost of India.
    And more useless desert and Siberia areas are cut.
    By Rg map's angle even a part of China can included if enlarged right and above.

Another problem is that it is too easy to enter India in maps other than EB's.
    There should be no rout at the north of Khyber Path because of high mountains.

And I also think too Large maps will make human can more easily take advantage against AI.
    AI may not be programed to use larger movement point effectively.
    I feel EUROPE280 scale is too large if the mod does not focus on Greece where there are many city states in narrow area.
    Last edited by mochi; November 11, 2009 at 12:47 PM.

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

Yes, but in my opinion a big map which is well made is always better than a small map, especially one based on the vanilla one (as RTR 6's is). If you make it well, the mp won't have huge empty spaces except where no one lives, and so long as there are roads between cities, the AI won't have any problems. Also, I have seen the most naval invasions on two of the largest maps, FOE's and RS's. Apart from that, well, I like the extra detail.

My argument against the RG map (as opposed to the RTR:VII one) is that a) it is smaller (less detailed, not width-wise), and b) it has too much of India on it. What I mean with that is that you can have Pataliputra and all the big Indian factions on there, but not the competion. That bit is cut off. There's no Pandyans and Kalingas and Satavahanas to harass their backs, which is why I would take the RTR:VII one, which only has western cities, in two of the four Mauryan Provinces (Ujjain and Taxila).
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast