Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed

Default Help Needed

We need:

Sound Coder

We would like to find a committed member of the community to assist in the Sound Development for The Last Kingdom.

* Primary duty will be to organize the faction's to have proper accents.
    * Secondary duty will be to choose and arrange music for the mod.

Default Re: Help Needed

I have to say, if that is what is holding it up, I'm happy to play with the sound off.
    "For men can endure to hear others praised only so long as they can severally persuade themselves of their own ability to equal the actions recounted: when this point is passed, envy comes in and with it, incredulity." - Pericles, Funeral Oration

"English bastards!" - the Scottish AAR!

The Grass is ALWAYS Greener: the Dark Tale of Mordor

Want to publish an article on any aspect of history? PM or email me at shistory@speculativehistory.co.uk, or visit http://www.speculativehistory.co.uk. if you just want to learn something new.

I will attempt to compose and arrange some music for the various factions. I know a Saxon lyre player (although using the modern diatonic system, they may have used something else in their 'folk' music. That of course doesn't mean I'll be able to grab hold of her I'm afraid.

Edit: A a note of caution, I ain't got no codin' knowledge.
    Last edited by Asgath; November 17, 2009 at 05:33 PM.

That sounds good actually, the music just needs to be in .mp3 format

He's a wee piece that might be indicative of the style I'm looking towards.
    This piece wasn't composed for this mod but with a stereotypical idyllic medieval setting in mind. It might not be dark enough for this game but tis an example.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/30853721...ieval.mp3.html

Apologies for the horrific brass sounds at the beginning and any other instruments that don't sound fantastic. It wasn't exactly intended to be authentic.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hm! I like it! Its has a good atmosphere...

Quote Originally Posted by Asgath View Post
    He's a wee piece that might be indicative of the style I'm looking towards.
    This piece wasn't composed for this mod but with a stereotypical idyllic medieval setting in mind. It might not be dark enough for this game but tis an example.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/30853721...ieval.mp3.html

Apologies for the horrific brass sounds at the beginning and any other instruments that don't sound fantastic. It wasn't exactly intended to be authentic.
    I heard sometimes and i like it! Do you post another?

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    I heard sometimes and i like it! Do you post another?
    I won't be starting any work of this style for a while yet! Got work for university to finish!
    I could upload a few unrelated pieces - I have a rough sci-fi styled composition.

Here's a preliminary little mess about.
    Hopefully it will be found tasteful and what you're looking for. It isn't finished (by a long way), but I was hoping to have some critique stylistically in any case.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/31353059...Saxon.mp3.html

Sorry mate! It has error!

Quote Originally Posted by Asgath View Post
    Here's a preliminary little mess about.
    Hopefully it will be found tasteful and what you're looking for. It isn't finished (by a long way), but I was hoping to have some critique stylistically in any case.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/31353059...Saxon.mp3.html

It works fine for me if that's what you mean :/
    Both downloads and then plays without a hitch

I dont know whats happened. Maybe rapidshare error...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Ah, I think thats saying the server is too full. I'll upload it somewhere else

Here it is on another host: http://www.sendspace.com/file/knqitd
    Last edited by Asgath; November 28, 2009 at 04:12 PM.

I need to find some more archaic instrument samples. How do people feel about a more 'modern' sound occasionally? I mean in a more film score-esque manner, with archaic elements.

I like it on the whole.
    The musical instrument is very good, orchestration and tempo (speed) is good.
    There is only one thing disturbs me. I think the melody is dissonant a bit. I dont know...
    (This should be nicer. The users hear this for a long time)

I require opinions and decisions!
    As of the current there are two modes of arrangement available to me. First is to simple write 1 (maybe 2) long pieces of music for each culture (perhaps with slight variations for each 'sub-culture') - Say of roughly 20-30 minutes in length. This is the easier of the two methods, it would give me greater control over the music and sound the most coherent.

The other option is to compose for each culture numerous short excerpts (ranging from roughly 30s to 2 minutes) that are then linked together, randomly chosen by the audio engine (and if possible - various exclusions and rules. I.E. The game always selects 1 of 3 Introduction excerpts and then moves on)
    This would be much more dynamic and would make the music feel less repetitive.
    On the other hand it will require a great deal more work and effort...and because of that: time. Lots of time.
    It will also mean the music in some cases won't be 100% coherent but It would simply require some thinking and workarounds.

There could be some compromises made of course, having longer excepts that feel more like full pieces of music with breaks into between is one idea. I feel that this maybe sound...If not disjointed; possibly remove the player from the atmosphere of the game. Maybe the listener wouldn't notice it too much or be effected.

I think the best way to do this is to have maybe 4 - 6 pieces in approx. 1 minute intervals with brief pauses at the end of each (to help prevent it from sounding like anarchy).

Perhaps you can make the Saxon set of music first in this style, then we can test it, then we will decide how to proceed based off of that.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    I think the best way to do this is to have maybe 4 - 6 pieces in approx. 1 minute intervals with brief pauses at the end of each (to help prevent it from sounding like anarchy).

Perhaps you can make the Saxon set of music first in this style, then we can test it, then we will decide how to proceed based off of that.
    Rightio, I'll get to work

Edit: Here be the earlier track with further progress. Still very messy and needs mixing and a whole range of other things going on.
    http://rapidshare.com/files/32115034...Saxon.mp3.html
    Still, the basic idea for one piece of music has arrived.
    Also, I haven't yet got round to sorting out the dissonance that Danova mentioned. It sounds quite acceptable to my ears and removing spoils the melody somewhat, but I'll make a workaround the fits, I don't want listeners smashing their speakers in a rage.
    Last edited by Asgath; December 15, 2009 at 06:07 AM.

Just a wee update. Things have been going slowly recently. Been moving from XP to Windows 7 and fecking around with Linux Distro's. Been busy with uni work and Christmas and such. I'll get things done eventually!

Sounds good, keep it up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast