Thread: [H.F.] Corner Boys

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default [H.F.] Corner Boys

Scene I

Not a very large corner. Well, not a corner in any sense of the word. He wondered why everyone referred to it as one. But then again, he was thinking too much. Way too much. Clutching the knife hidden under his clothes, he suddenly forgot what he had even come here for.

It was a clunky knife. Large. Unwieldy. Stolen from a hawker of fish, really. Still reeking of the damn things, and with a few fish scales stuck to the blade here and there. But it would serve its purpose well enough. Whatever that purpose was. See, he didn't exactly remember what he had to do with this knife. Perhaps he should have written it down. That is, if he had known how to read or write.

It's not that he was too poor to learn. Heavens above, no! And here, in the center of the world, the second Rome? The boy could have easily learned to read, write, and stand on his head if he had wished to! Ah, but why hadn't he? He could have easily made something of himself, his tavern mates had always said so!

His tavern mates. He couldn't help a long, bitter, laugh. It was a single chuckle, and startled a bird from the wooden post next to him. The knife slid a little down his stomach, cutting the laugh short. He suddenly remembered why he had the knife with him. And he was on the wrong corner!

Wrong side of the city as well.

Come to think of it, the boy was on the wrong side of the world.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Basically the story of a few street urchins in Constantinople and elsewhere. Hope y'all like it fo sho.

Scene II

There he was, knife in hand. He knew how he'd do it. Ask for directions to so and so's house, maybe a polite greeting in his coarse accent. Maybe even a handshake? The least he could do was make sure that his target died happily, and thinking that the boy was his friend. He couldn't help it, that was just his style.

He had to do it. And he couldn't stop himself, no matter how hard he tried. That is, if he cared enough to try. He had been living in a state of limbo, just gliding from day to day, petty theft to armed robbery. Mother had always told him that-

But wait. What had mother told him? Besides that he would always be here, always on this corner, always with the hastily purloined knife, always on the very brink of ruin. That he wasn't worth saving from this occupation. He had chosen this way of life, anyway. He couldn't do anything about it either way. He needed more money for that. And how would he get money? By doing this.

He admitted that returning to the corner was now more compulsory than voluntary now. He was drawn to it, just as he now saw the shoulders of his target drawn to the blade in his fingers...

And it was all over. The patrician stumbled, falling onto his knees in the mud. And he started to yell, bawling all over the street. He hadn't stabbed well enough. He hadn't even stabbed in the right place. What was going on? A sudden panic gripped the boy and he tried to run. But he couldn't let go of the knife. The bloody knife that reeked of fish and dying fat men. And before he could wrench the tool from his grasp, he was surrounded.

Skythikoi.

Desperate, the boy flailed the hand holding the knife at one of the mercenaries and found himself flat on his back. The world spun and there was suddenly a vacuum around him. Air...he needed air!

The knife was brutally kicked out of his hand and he was hoisted up on a pair of brawny shoulders.

He was going to jail.

Scene III

It was smelly. Rotten. Yes, it smelled rotten. A timber lay strewn across the floor over the remains of what used to be a wooden bench. It was now a few inches of wood in the mud. He thought it was mud. He really didn't want to know either way. Wasn't very appealing. Made anything outside look quite attractive, really. Outside. Out.

Maybe if he charmed the others enough he would be let out? Explain to them nicely that it wasn't what they thought it was, and could they please let him back home before dusk or mother would be upset?

It never had a chance of working on the hardened guards, veterans of numerous campaigns for the Emperor.

He sunk back into his corner, wary of the others in the cell. He wouldn't allow himself to fall asleep. Not tonight.
    Last edited by Monarchist; November 15, 2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Request of the author.

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: [H.F.] Corner Boys

Dear me, this looks as if it will become something very interesting, my friend!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

Very Interesting... Not...

No, In all seriousness, I love it! +rep

Nazgūl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Nice one Legio. Can't wait to see more
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Two posts have been merged into the O.P. at the author's request.
    Cicero

Content Emeritus

As he slumped back onto the decaying stone, he felt a shiver crawl up his spine. And it wasn't from the dank atmosphere of this new hell. It was a pair of coal-black eyes boring through him. From here, it felt like they pierced straight through the walls behind him, through the winding corridors, and into the face of the emperor himself. These were noble eyes.

Noble, but terrifying.

Maybe not noble...more criminal. Yes, those were the eyes that would normally send the boy scampering for cover if he met them on the street. But fear completely paralyzed him and he sat there in his hole in the corner.

The eyes were getting closer.

Jeez, this is like a nightmare I've had before. "Coal-black eyes".... you are in my soul, aren't you? Get out, you imaginative person!
    Cicero

Content Emeritus

And as suddenly as the eyes had appeared, they dissolved into darkness. The room spiraled, and he remembered the one time he had sat atop a horse. But the horse soon disappeared as well. It was so dark.....

And wet. The darkness sloshed him around. Ah but now-! Light!

A harsh light. He didn't like it and closed his eyes. The sloshing got faster and harder. Grunting, he opened his eyes again.

"About sodding time." A squat man in armor. What was someone this rich doing in this quarter of the city?

"Wha-?" He croaked at the man. Oh. It returned to him. Well. At least he was awake. That was a good start. He smiled. "Thanks for the shower!"

"Don't be glib with me, filth." The fat one barked.

"It's the least I can do."

"I wonder if you would have been this cheerful to the other men in your cell, boy." A heavy emphasis on the last word sent an involuntary blush on the recipient's cheeks. "Well?"

"What do you want?" Sullenness had always been a part of the boy's personality.

"To chat your beautiful face up, obviously. Now shut up because we want nothing to do with you. Ever again. Now get off your greasy bum and out of our sight, you hear?"

The boy laughed on the inside, mustering all his strength to contain it from erupting to the surface.

"And my knife?"

"It's mine now," was the fat one's curt response.

Well, he was free now. That was certainly a start. The boy skipped out of the shabby building, and fed on the angry looks of the police.