Thread: Why in the world am I having issues???

Default Why in the world am I having issues???

After buying my new rig I was excited to play ETW, but after all the issues with it crashing, I remembered that I had RTW and better yet it would run at the highest settings like I always wanted it to, WRONG, I can't seem to run the game at its highest settings, let alone its lowest setting at 800 x 600. This baffles me because I have 8 gigs of ram, a well qualified processor, and 2 gtx 260's hooked up in sli. I have tried to turn sli off, but nothing helps. Anyone know the problem here? Thanks

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: Why in the world am I having issues???

I got a new computer recently and can't run the game at the highest settings. I think it's to do with Rome only using one processor, leaving multi-core processors underpowered (less powerful than my old computer incidentally). This will probably find more help in the technical forums

Saint Nicholas's Avatar No Avatar Specified

Sounds like it could be a grahics card issue. I would suggest updating your drivers and DirectX.
    "Muscovy", as its rulers have previously called it, is a sleeping giant, with age-old traditions and ways of doing things. Here, the feudal way of life has become so entrenched that the serfs are as tied to the land as cattle, and with almost as few rights. It is a vast, deeply conservative and religious country: Mother Russia and the Orthodox Church are the two pillars of national belief. The Tsar may be the father of his people, but by tradition and practice he is a stern parent. Ivan the Terrible was well named, and he has not been the only ruler with an iron will. Russia is the "Third Rome". The last bastion of Orthodox Christianity.

i have a 2ghz single core and i run it on highest, so its probably a drivers issue

ur better off asking in the technical section

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    I got a new computer recently and can't run the game at the highest settings. I think it's to do with Rome only using one processor, leaving multi-core processors underpowered (less powerful than my old computer incidentally). This will probably find more help in the technical forums
    nonsense i have a dual core and i can run rtw in all its glory.

After a few searches it does seem to point towards the graphics card. I don't know, try asking in The Basment. Only recently found this place. Ignore the basement idea.
    Last edited by Deux; November 12, 2009 at 06:30 PM.
    [A.H] Imperator Romanus - In The Writer's Study, come join us!
    A Guide to the Differences of the Roman Factions - Take a look!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Read and weep.

1. RTW only uses one core. Always have, always will. Fact.

2. RTW is directx 9. The Nvidia cards are diectx 10 and will not have the performance of the older directx 9 cards. Fact.

3. This all means many of these new machines are too new for the game and get used to one more fect, the game will never be upgraded.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I bought this system (see spoiler) over twelve months ago - with it I can play RTW mods at 1920x1200 resolution with all graphic settings set to the max and also increase the 'grass draw distance' (in preferences.txt) to around 1000 (or more). The game runs smoothly.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 (4 x 3.2 GHZ) 1600FSB - 12 MB
    Corsair 8GB PC3-10666C7 1333MHz (4x2GB) DDR3
    1 TB (1000 GB) SATA HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB
    WD RAPTOR SATA 74GB UDMA 150 10000RPM 16MB
    XFX SKT-775 790i ULTRA + SLI 1600FSB
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 7.1
    2 x Asus 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 GDDR3 (SLI Setup)
    TAGEN 1300W ULTRA PSU
    Windows Vista 64 Bit Ultimate Edition

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

What Nvidia driver version? Same as Empire?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    What Nvidia driver version? Same as Empire?
    With the SLI setup I never went past the 181.22 drivers mainly because ETW would throw fits with anything later (freeze part-way through the introduciton to a campaign - the in-game bit where it pans over your holdings and explains what you should watch for).

I did try a number of versions after that but none of them were any good.

It did seem that some other players were able to get slightly later drivers to work but it seemed very hit and miss.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Then maybe I'm wrong about the cards being too new. Then maybe the drivers are too new for Rome. It's starting to sound like it to me. I hope someone can prove me wrong.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Then maybe I'm wrong about the cards being too new. Then maybe the drivers are too new for Rome. It's starting to sound like it to me. I hope someone can prove me wrong.
    I think I did install later drivers and did play RTW but for a number of months after it's release ETW was flavour of the month and I was playing that to death (I should have been doing beta testing for RSII and RTR VII FoE but I was struggling at the time). It was more important to get the drivers right for that (ETW) than RTW (at the time).

Unfortunately, my GTX280s in SLI machine is back in bits ready to be sent back, again.

This (older) system that I am using has a 9800GX2 card using the 191.07 drivers (these are the most recent ones for that card). I have no problems with them for RTW (I've not played ETW with it - I think).

My new 9800GT with the 191 drivers has no problems.

Unfortunately I have the Same issue with RTW, and my system is more than qualified to run it. But I am starting to think that this is a x64 related issue. I am running 2 computers in my home one with windows 7 x64 and the other with vista x86. The vista x86 i am able to run rome just fine on full settings with a 8800gtx. But on the comp with Windows 7 x64 i am running into major lag issues with both campaign and the battle portion of the game with a GTX285 2gb. The only thing i can relate is X86 vs X64, i really hope someone can prove me wrong.

Citizen

I have no problems running RTW mods on my Vista 64 bit system using a pair of GTX280s in SLI.

I played on max graphic settings and at 1920x1200 - or even 2560x1600 after I got my new 30" widescreen.....