Thread: Unofficial Competition - Historical Fiction Banner!

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Default Unofficial Competition - Historical Fiction Banner!

Greetings you talented masses.

It may have come to your attention that the T.W.C. fora have undergone a small re-structuring in the last 24 hours. The After Action Reports, Tale of the Week, and other writing-related sections have been organized into a central structure, called "The Study". Within this structure is a new sub-forum called, simply, "Historical Fiction"; it has an unofficial title, and that is "Refectorium". This name comes from the old room where monks ate in monastery during the Middle Ages: Refectory. It was a sort-of dining hall where a chosen monk would sit atop a raised podium and read scriptures while the other monks ate their suppers in silence. Discipline was the order of the day, and many Refectories were austere and sparse in their furnishings.

The point of this topic is to ask that a small competition be held. We who are interested in advertising the Refectorium ("Historical Fiction sub-forum") wish to have a small banner, badge, or signature picture for its own advertisement. It must be something of a small-ish size, but still large enough to display a cosy room like a study, library, or smoking lounge, with words in each corner. The top-left (or top-right, depending) should say "The Refectorium" in elegant font, and the bottom-right (or bottom-left, depending) should say "A place for Historical Fiction", or something to that effect. Be very creative in your backgrounds, and try to convey a sense of comfort, cosiness, warmth, and atmosphere.

The winner of the competition shall get lots of reppage from historical fiction authors (I shall order it! ), and will have his/her banner featured in the "Introductions" area of the Refectorium for all to see. Credit due will be given in the O.P., and I shall personally give lots of rep., and good words to others, of the talents of the winner.

----

My own idea is a small, scroll-like parchment (rather like the appearance of "Artifex" and "Civitate" badges), within which is an animated version of a study. Within this study is a set of warm, velvet couches and chairs, all facing a little fireplace in the wall. Books sit about on the floor and on coffee tables, some open and some closed. A little bit of light snow falls outside, beyond the large windows, and one can almost hear the sleighbells of a horse-and-carriage passing by on a wintry evening. The fire is on, casting a little light in the dark, snug room; the dog is asleep, and a man rests in his waistcoat after a long day of cross-referencing Shakespeare treatises. A small glass of wine sits, half-empty, on one of the tables, nearly pushed off by one of the many books lying about.

Does this give sufficient inspiration? Need I say any more in regards to what we are looking for?

The competition will work in a simple manner, if it is approved of by you Workshoppers. We shall have many different contributors, all of whom will P.M. their first draft or version to me. Once we work out details and the contributor is happy with the final product, I will begin posting them in this O.P. Once everyone that wants to contribute has finalized his submission, I will add a poll for people to select the three "best" submissions. After those three are selected, a "Finals" vote will be held to choose which seems to most represent the cosy, happy, after-dinner atmosphere of a little study in a countryside house or mansion.
    Last edited by Monarchist; November 07, 2009 at 06:26 PM.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Default Re: Competition Request - Historical Fiction Banner

Well I will make artythingies for this. But I have an questions in the Referectorium, there is fiction right? Fiction can be a story about paratroopers going back in time to BC Rome? I have plenty of inspiriation for this matter, the only thing that limits me is time and the other thing is that I don't know how big the banners,sigs etc should be?

The banner should obviously not be used in a sig if I'm right?

regards
    abbews

Btw, you broke the rules, but it's gonna be stickied anyways and then it will not break the rules.

I am very sorry about breaking the rules, my friend. It seems like there should be more to the G.W. than just individual topics. Anyway, that is not my issue to deal with, so I apologize.

The Refectorium is not about time machines and fantasy. It is a Historical Fiction forum for stories that take place directly in real history, or alternate histories. We were debating whether time travel stories would be allowed, but it wasn't exactly decided. Moderators will just have to exercise our own discretion. Any fiction that is history-related will be accepted, as long as it is original fiction written by the member who posts it. We'll just have to see what happens with time travel. It would be best not to have a banner showing marines fighting Roman legionaries, though, at least... at first!

The size should be something like your "VICTORIAN: TOTAL WAR" banner, though a little less tall. It should fit nicely and comfortably in a signature.
    Cicero

Ok, I see. I have plenty of good ideas for banners, but I need to know what size you want/prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    Ok, I see. I have plenty of good ideas for banners, but I need to know what size you want/prefer.
    The banner should roughly fit in this area:

Cicero

Wow that would be small, very small actually Well I will se about doing some stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    Wow that would be small, very small actually Well I will se about doing some stuff.
    Well, I will put a more standardized size in the O.P. after a while. I still have to see if anyone cares enough to work on this. Also, I have to be scolded by y2day or Tzar for violating the rules.
    Cicero

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

I had a quick go:

"I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

thread stuck i hope that can help... anyway i will try to make something for you

Only so you know guys, in any case you would use WWII, it's reserved by me

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    I had a quick go:

Wow, I like that! See, Abbews? It can be done within such a small place!

The look is a little too modern for my tastes, but the poll shall decide it, perhaps, some day. It sure is cosy looking, and I can give you that much. Things like this can always be touched up and improved. If you want to make it slightly taller, you can do so. This isn't a dictatorship.
    Cicero

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Of course, I shall try to improve on it and let you know
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)