Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: IB2 CONQVESTVS BRITANNIAE PROGRESS

Default IB2 CONQVESTVS BRITANNIAE PROGRESS

Further dividing of the Romano British as proposed by Agraes

New (Romano British)Factions
    -Romano British around Powys under Vortimer (White-Tan)

-Catuvellauni: Briton faction with saxon troops, would hold much of middle and eastern England including Londinium(Light green)

-Ebrauc/Brigantes: a northern kingdom for Coel Hen's heirs (Dark Green)

The Map WIP 1/8/10

Red: Regnum Provincial Noviodunum
    Tan: Romano British
    Dark Red: Regnum Britannia
    Orage/Brown: Scotti
    Emerald Green: Picts
    Dark Purple: Goddodin(Votadini)
    Pale Green: Ebrauc
    Brown: Saxones/Jute Confederation
    Yellow: Ui Neill
    Black: Rheged
    Dark Green: Mumainha
    Light Green: Catuvellaun
    Aqua Blue: Strathclyde
    Dark Brown: Kingdom of Gwynedd(Split up the Votadini)
    Orange: Anglii
    Blue: Franks

461AD-The Saxon federation of Jutes And Angels have retired to their expanded settlements after raiding across the island
    Map by AthiasOfAthens

WIP as of 11/18/09

The year in 461AD.

The Romano British The once great Romano British King, Vortigern or Gwrtheyrnin in the British tongue, questioned by his people and later blamed by history for his pro-policies toward the Saxon confederation of Angles and Jutes, has abdicated the throne. Vortimore, Vortigern's eldest son, now takes up the sword to try and once again push the Saxon tribes back into their enclaves and with the hope of someday ridding the Saxon pestilence from the shores of his British homeland. But the Saxon tribes are not the only thing to fear around the Romano British people. Many powerful tribes have united and see themselves as the true successors of the once Roman Province and others are simply keen on plundering and settling on new richer lands and see the British Isle as a worthy and profitable conquest.

The Votadini Tribes The proud ancestors of the later Gododdin people known for their fierceness in battle and heroics in an early poem Y Gododdin, as attributed to by Aneirin. Cunnedda Wldeg, the Dragon of the North, early in the 5th century, with the blessings and of the once powerful Vortigern, has settled half of his people in the northern sections of Wales, now known as Gwynedd, with the freedom to rid Gaelic and Scotti settlers from British soil and the right to claim those lands for his people. Now with Vortigern gone, as a strong faction they will not sit back and watch others pick the royal crop clean. But they are not the only British people that will not wait for another to take what they think is now theirs. From their original base at Din Edyn and the newly settled areas of Gywenedd they hope to unite and rule Britannia under the Wldeg Dragon Banner.

Kingdom of Gwynedd

The Regnum Britanniae Imperium The British inhabitants are dismayed by the most recent Anglo-Saxon incursion onto their lands. Ambrosius Aurelianus, Gildas identifies as "a gentleman who, perhaps alone of the Romans, survived the shock of this notable storm'', gathers the romanized people under his banner into a well armed force. Vortigern has always feared Ambrosius for his anti-Saxon stance and for the man who's relatives had worn the purple. If that isn't enough to be wary, his closest relatives may have died from the most recent Saxon advent.

The Pict Tribes The most northern part of the British Island in what was later to become eastern and northern Scotland, are a confederation of tribes called the Picts. The Romans called this pre-Celtic people Pictii, or "Painted," although Claudius' words are proof that (as claimed by many historians) the ancient Picts actually tattooed their bodies with designs. After their defeats at the hands of the once-allied Vortigerns, Romano-British and Saxons, they lick their chops at the tempestuous situation that now exists below them. Naiton MacErp and his son Cat MacErp control Pictland with a firm hand. Now united they are a formidable people but they need to be, for to their west lies the expanding Scotti settlement in Dal Raida.

Tribus Scotti If we were to believe the legend then the Scottish Gaels originated from the Dal Riata tribe in Antrim, north-east Ireland dynastic competition at home. Through military conquest they subdued the British or Pictish people that originally inhabited the area and then they imposed a new Dal Riata in Argyll under Fergus Mor mac Eirc. Much of this now appears to be far from the truth and more of a myth than reality for it has been disproved through recent archaeological evidence. More likely than not through several centuries of peoples migrating back and forth between the two Dal Riatas resulted in the eventual peaceful absorption of peoples that brought about an independent Gaelic dynastic kingdom by the end of the 5th century.

-Arthurian TW bi-mod Description from Agreas
    Historical Research:
    Ranika
    Anthony
    Rheged A long time ago, before Rome came, the Brigantes were among the strongest tribes on Britain. Now the Romans are gone, and a new power has risen in the North: Rheged, its very name being derived from Brigantia. Extending from the Northern border with Alcluyd to the city of Caer Legion, Rheged is a great kingdom. Its kings have many rivals, but if they are vigorous in repelling the Picts and Saxons, they will be well placed to assert themselves as the first and foremost leaders of the Britons.

Historical Research:
    Ranika
    Anthony
    Mumainha Munster - is known by many names, a testament to its antiquity. For the Mumainha can be thought of as the last vestige of the unified government of the original Gaelic migrations to Ireland. When this order collapsed centuries ago much of their world descended into anarchy, but the Mumainha remained intact, their rulers gradually coalescing into an institution called the Eóghanacht. Consequently, their lands are the richest and most developed in Ireland. The coming of Christianity and the decline of Rome have brought many changes to the Gaelic world, and the Mumainha must move with these. Already they have become drawn into the power vacuum left by Rome in Western Britain, and the opportunity arises to increase their holdings in Ireland as well. Challenges lie ahead, but the Mumainha have a bright future indeed.

Historical Research:
    Ranika
    Anthony
    Ui Neil Gaels The descendants of the great High King Niall Niogalaich, the dynasty of the Ui Neill have always considered themselves the rightful leaders of the Gaels. Based in the Northern and Eastern provinces, their control of both the religious centre of Ard Macha and Ireland's traditional "capital" Teamhaidh (Tara) allows the kings of the Ui Neill to coronate themselves as High Kings of all Ireland. But it will take more then a ceremony to make this a reality beyond their own territory. The Ui Neill have been quiet for some years now, weakened by a growing sense of division between the Northern and Southern clans of the dynasty, but they have opportunities. Their lands have the potential to become a great centre of trade and Christian learning, and the success of their neighbours the Dal Riada may turn their eyes Eastward once more, perhaps to emulate their ancestor Niall's many raids into Roman Britain.

Saxons Confederation(Jutes) The Anglo-Saxons and Jutes were a people from modern-day north Germany, Denmark and northern Holland. They were a warlike and harsh folk. They arrived as mercenaries in Britain at the behest of Vortigern with an alliance to rid the destructive raids of the Picts with an agreement to settle as foederati on British soil. More federates came later, the mercenaries making increased demands of their British hosts and threatening to "break their agreement and plunder the whole island unless more lavish payment were heaped upon them." And so they did.

Angli:

Regnum Francorum Franks were, like most Germanic people, famed for fighting on foot and with great bravery; their francisca throwing axes were a fearsome weapon to face. In the 5th century, numerous small Frankish kingdoms existed, among them the ones in Cologne, Tournai, Le Mans and Cambrai. The kings of Tournai eventually came to subdue the other Frankish kings. This was probably enabled by their association with Aegidius, the magister militum of northern Gaul. King Childeric I fights on Aegidius' side in 461AD. The Franks although allied with the Romans may one day see the lands to their west as potentialy an opportunity for expansion under a young and vigorous King.

Regnum Domain Of Noviodunum (Soissons) Aegidius, the magister militum in Gaul, is in rebellion for the execution of his friend and Emperor, Majorian. With a Gallic field army loyal to him and at his disposal, and an infra structure still very much intact at Soissons, Aegidius may wish to ride into the Italian peninsula and dispose the powers that may be, but isolated, and surrounded by the expanding Visigoths and the other Barbarian factions, the Romano-Gallic enclave might have to dig in to preserve itself. Aegidius has an alliance with King Childeric and has been beneficial for both rulers in that that Childeric expanded his real over the other Frankish Kingdoms and in return the Fanks have helped Aegidius maintain stability for the time bieng in Gaul.

Strathcyde: One of the kingdoms of Scotland that arose at the end of the Roman occupation of Britain was that of Strathclyde. At the height of its empire there stretched a kingdom from its capital Ail - Cluathe (Dumbarton) in the north down to Wales in the south. The people of the kingdom were Britons who spoke an early form of Welsh. The legend of Arthur arose from these people.

Catuvellauni: Briton faction with saxon troops, would hold much of middle and eastern England including Londinium(Light green)

Ebrauc/Brigantes: a northern kingdom for Coel Hen's heirs (Dark Green)

WIP as of 11/18/09
    Votadini Tribes
    The Picts
    Romano-British
    Regnum Francorum
    Regnum Britanniae Imperium
    Saxons Tribes(Jutes)
    Tribus Scotti (considering naming them Dal Raida)
    Regnum Domain Of Noviodunum

Rheged in black NE Central Britian
    Ui Neill Gaels, new name in yellow: Hibernia Ireland
    (Hibernian Gaels) Mumainha Gaels, new name in green: Hibernia Ireland

Catuvellauni: Briton faction with saxon troops, would hold much of middle and eastern England including Londinium(Light green)
    Ebrauc: a northern kingdom for Coel Hen's heirs (Dark Green)
    Angli:
    Kingdom of Gwynedd
    Last edited by Riothamus; January 09, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Default Re: IB2 Arthurian Campaign Progress

-Here we will post the latest progress On the mod.

Looks great!!! I can't wait this!
    Last edited by Toboe; November 14, 2009 at 09:12 AM.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

Looks extemely interesting! one question though: Which Roman guy was the inspiration for the King Arthur legends??
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Looks extemely interesting! one question though: Which Roman guy was the inspiration for the King Arthur legends??
    Ahhh.. was wondering when someone would ask this

I'll announce that soon but there will be an Arthur(Artorius)in the game

HI Rio, can this be added with what we have, BV2?

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post

Do you mean IB2?
    For the units, I am giving them all their own separate texture and model files so that they can easily be added to the main campaign of IB2.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

Quote Originally Posted by swhunter View Post
    Yes swhunter as midnite posted above and also it will be in a separate mod folder as in how the different MTW2 Kingdoms campaigns are set up
    Last edited by Riothamus; November 12, 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks ...

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

current roster of the Regnum Britanniae Imperium faction

light inf,
    spear inf,
    archer unit,
    heavy spear guard unit,
    heavy sword inf,
    med cav unit,
    heavy cav unit,
    ballista and onager units

to be added

light cav skirmisher unit
    light inf javelin unit
    possibly a merc unit -- maybe a gaelic axe or 2 handed sword unit
    Last edited by midnite; November 12, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Intresting; I like playing small factions and the units look even more rag-tag than those in first Beta.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Borealis View Post
    Intresting; I like playing small factions and the units look even more rag-tag than those in first Beta.
    Hi Draco Borealis
    The further they get away from any Roman historical influence you will see this more and more

The Map is shaping up :Map by MatiasOfAthens..Please rep the good Man

461AD-The Saxon federation of Jutes And Angels have retired to their expanded settlements after raiding across the island
    Last edited by Riothamus; November 12, 2009 at 11:15 AM.

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

I like the roster so far. Personally, I think that the rosters for this mod shouldn't be too elaborate. Or the units might sound a bit of a fantasy (e.g. the infamous arcanii). Making most of them by type/function like they are now, and maybe by location, IMHO. Of course, faction differences have to be taken in to account, and some unit names given in their own language.

I am saying this because the info for Dark Age Britain is vague/limited and unit numbers very low. I believe that often there wasn't scope for much specialization in particular weapon type (e.g. a unit only with axes or swords). Warriors were grouped by their ability and status (which affected their arms and armour). Which is why I love it when men within a unit are armed with different weapons, like the milites in IB2. An elite/bodyguard unit may be able to afford or be given all swords/great axes, or bunch of woodmen may all carry simple axes, of course.
    These are my 2 cents, thanks for reading.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree. Crappy films like 'The Last Legion' would have you believe that the Romans remained all Legios and uniform for ever. Niether the Romano-British or the Regenum-whatever-it-is-Imperium had anywhere near the money or resources, manpower or weaponry of the WRE or ERE.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

midnite's Avatar Citizen

I have extracted the models for the pict square shields in preparation to start creating that faction. Have created the sword champions for the Saxons, 2 handed sword model, bringing the total units for the Saxons to 10. The Saxons also have 2 more units in development. The Regnum Britanniae Imperium also have 10 units in their roster. The Regnum Britanniae Imperium will be expanded soon with 3 new units.

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    2 handed sword unit
    please, no...!
    a longsword in this age is a total anachronism, as far as i know such swords did not appear until the 13th century.

furthermore i would be restrictive with archer units in the british isles in this era. archery certainly did not play a vital role in anglo-saxon or celtic warfare. the picts supposedly kept the roman crossbow, but i am uncertain if it was used in war or for hunting only.
    i must admit that i am rather uncertain about the romano-britons, but i expect they did not differ much from the rest in this aspect.
    of course the bow and arrow was known to these people since ancient times, as a tool for hunting. one must then consider which social class does the hunting and which social class does the fighting.
    it is my impression that archery was not commonly used as a gear of war in the british isles until after the vikings had settled and did not enter the regular english army until the anglo-norman invasion of wales.

i thought you might want to look into this.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

midnite's Avatar Citizen

ok 2 handed axemen are in and 2 handed sword are out.

Two new factions
    -Rheged in black NE Central Britian
    -Ui Neill Gaels in yellow: Hibernia Ireland

Mumainha Gaels (new name) in green: Hibernia Ireland

Last edited by Riothamus; November 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riothamus View Post
    -Ui Neill Gaels in yellow: Hibernia Ireland

-Mumainha Gaels (new name) in green: Hibernia Ireland
    Munster - Muma, Mumha, Mumu, Muinhneach, Mumhain, Mumhan.

The modern province of Munster contains the counties of Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford. Prior to the establishment of the county system between the 13th and 16th centuries, each county comprised a variety of "tuaths", or clan territories.

Ancient divisions of Munster listed in the Irish annals included:
    Érna Muman, or Ernaibh Muman - ancient land of the Ernai tribe.
    Desmhuman, or Desmumu - Desmond, or south Muinster.
    Tuadhmhuman - Thomond, or north Munster.
    Urhmumhan, or Urmumu - Ormond, or east Munster.
    Iarmumhan - west Munster.
    Deissi Muman - Deisi, or the county Waterford area.

County Clare was the ancient dynastic home of the Corco Baiscind, Corco Mruadh and the 'in Deis Tuascirt', among others.
    County Cork was the ancient home of the tribes of Erainn, Maritine, Corca Loigde, Muscraige, Uí Liathain, as well as the Éoganacht septs of the Raithlenn and Glendamnacht regions. The Viking settlement of Cork was started around the 9th and 10th centuries.
    County Kerry was the ancient home of the Ciarraige, Corco Duibne, Uí Cairpri Luachra and Éoganacht Locha Lein tribes.
    County Limerick was the ancient home of the Uí Fidgeinte, Uaithne, Corca Oiche, Orbraige, Uí Cairbre Eaodhe, Uí Conaill Gabra, Muscraige Luachra, and Eoghanacht Aine. The Viking settlement of Limerick was formed during the 9th and 10th centuries.
    County Tipperary was the ancient home of Eile, Deisi Thuasgeart, Muscraige Tire, Dal Cairpri Araide (?), and Éoganacht Caissil
    County Waterford was the ancient home of Deisi Mumhan, Magh Femin, Uí Liathain and Coscraidh. The Viking settlement of Waterford city was founded in the 9th and 10th centuries

Ancient Beginnings

Sons of Ailill Aulomm (Oilliol Olum), ancient king of Munster, included:
    Éogan Mór, a quo (from whom descend the) Éoganachta (of Munster);
    Cian, a quo Ciannachta of Eile (in Tipperary/Offaly), Breagh (in Meath) and Glinne Gemhin (in Derry);
    Cormac Cas, a quo Dál gCais in Déis Tuascirt (in Clare).
    Tigernach, a quo Cenel Cerdraige

234 - Oilioll Olum, son of Mogh Nuadhat, King of Munster, died.
    ??? - Eoghan Mor, son of Oilioll Olum.
    ??? - Fiacha Muilleathan, son of Eoghan Mor, King of the Two Munsters.
    ??? - Oilill Flann Bec, son of Fiacha Muilleathan
    ??? - Lughaid, son of Oilill Flann Bec.
    378 - Crimhthann, son of Fidhach, son of Daire Cearb [or Oilill Flann Bec?], King of Ireland and Munster, died.
    ??? - Conall Corc, son of Lughaid, died.
    ??? - Nad Fraech, son of Corc.
    489 - Aenghus, son of Nadfraech, King of Munster, died. (1st Christian King of Munster?)

Kings of munster

Northern Ui Neill

The sons of Niall of the Nine Hostages, Eoghan, Conall [Gulban], and Enda, travelled north from the kingdom of Connacht into the western and northern regions of the kingdom of Ulster (county Donegal). It was here in the 5th century that the Cenél Eóghain and Cenél Conaill began to establish themselves as overlords in northwestern Ulster. The Cenél Eóghain established their power base at Inishowen and their capital at Aileach. The Cenél Conaill centered themselves around the rich area of Magh Ithe, in the valley of the river Finn. The two clans alternated as kings of the North up to the 8th century. The Northern Ui Neill also alternated with their southern cousins as so-called 'sovereigns of Ireland' into the 10th century.
    In the 8th century a series of victories were gained by the Cenél Eóghain over the Cenél Conaill in Magh Ithe (east Co. Donegal), splitting their power between the territories of Fanad, in the north, and Tir nAeda, in the south. By the beginning of the 9th century the Cenél Eóghain were the dominant Northern dynasty, as they spread their influence east into modern county Derry, pushing aside the Cruithin east of the river Bann, gaining control over the Ciannachta of mid-Derry, and steadily encroaching on the Airgiallan tribes of Ui Macc Uais. The dominance of the Cenél Eóghain continued as they drove further south, subjugating other Airghiallan tribes, and by the 11th century the Cenél Eóghain had moved their power base from Aileach to that near Tullahogue in modern day county Tyrone (named from Tir Eóghain, or Tir Owen).

The annals cite for the northern Uí Neill:
    • For 465, Eoghan, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages (from whom are descended the Cinel Eoghain), died of grief for Conall Gulban, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages, and was buried at Uisce Chain, in Inis Eoghain.
    • For 527, After Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages, had been twenty four years in the sovereignty of Ireland, he was burned in the house of Cleiteach, over the Boyne, on the night of Samhain the first of November, after being drowned in wine.
    • For 557, The battle of Moin Doire Lothair was gained over the Cruithnigh, by the Uí Neill of the North, i. e. by the Cinel Conaill and Cinel Eoghain, wherein fell seven chieftains of the Cruithnigh, together with Aedh Breac; and it was on this occasion that the Lee and Carn Eolairg were forfeited to the Clanna Neill of the North.
    • For 561, After Domhnall and Fearghus, the two sons of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan, son of Niall, had been three years in the sovereignty of Ireland, they both died.
    • For 562, Eochaidh, son of Domhnall, son of Muircheartach, and of Baedan, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, had been two years in the sovereignty of Ireland, they were slain by Cronan, chief of Cianachta Glinne Gemhin.
    • For 601, The first year of Aedh Uairidhnach, son of Domhnall Ilchealgach, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan, in the sovereignty of Ireland.
    • For 634, The battle of Saeltire was gained by Conall Cael, son of Maelcobha, over the Cinel Eoghain.
    • For 650, The battle of Fleascach, by Crunnmael, son of Suibhne, chief of Cinel Eoghain, in which was slain Cumascach, son of Oilioll, chief of Uí Cremhthainn.
    • For 679, Dunghal, son of Scannal, chief of the Cruithni, and Ceannfaeladh, son of Suibhne, chief of Cianachta Glinne Geimhin, were burned by Maelduin, son of Maelfithrigh, at Dun Ceithirn.
    • For 698, Flann, son of Ceannfaeladh, son of Suibhne, chief of Cinel Eoghain, was slain.
    • For 698, Aurthuile Ua Crunnmaeil, chief of Cinel Eoghain was driven from his chieftainry into Britain.

Chiefs of Cenél Eóghain

• Obit. 579, Colga, son of Domhnall, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach (chief ??).
    • For 650, Crunnmael, son of Suibhne, chief of Cinel Eoghain (Clan Feradaigh).
    • Obit. 698, Flann, son of Ceannfaeladh, son of Suibhne, chief of Cinel Eoghain.
    • Deposed 698, Aurthuile Ua Crunnmaeil, chief of Cinel Eoghain.
    • Obit. 698, Flann Finn, son of Maeltuile Ua Crunnmaeil, chief of Cinel Eoghain (Clan Feradaigh).
    • Obit. 705, Mael Dúin, son of Maelfithrigh, Lord of the Cinel Eoghain (Cenel Mac Earca).
    • Obit 756, Domhnall, son of Muirchertach, lord of the Ui Neill.
    • Obit. 783, Mael Dúin, son of Aedh Allan, King of the North.
    • For 818/20, Murchadh, son of Maelduin, led the Ui Neill of the North against the Ui Neill of the South.
    • For 821, The deposing of Murchadh, son of Maelduin, by Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, and by the Cinel Eoghain.
    • For 825, Niall Caille led the races of Conall and Eoghan against the Airghialla and Ui Eathach Uladh.
    • Obit. 865, Mael Dúin, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, lord of Aileach (Sil Maeli Dúin).
    • Obit. 891, Flaithbheartach, son of Murchadh, lord of Aileach.
    • For 896, Murchadh, son of Mael Dúin, lord of Cinel Eoghain (a quo Clan Birn).
    • For 906, Domhnall, mac Aodha Finnléith, chief of Aileach (Clan Domnaill macÁeda).
    • For 913, Niall, mac Aedha, lord of Aileach (Clan Neill).
    • For 936, Muirchertach, mac Néill Glúnduibh, lord of Aileach (Clan Neill).
    • Obit. 941, Muirchertach na c-Cochall c-Croicenn, mac Néill Glúnduibh, chief of Aileach (Clan Neill).
    • For 960, Flaithbheartach, mac Conchobhair, chief of Aileach.
    • For 971, Murchadh Glún Illar ua Flaithbheartaigh, lord of Aileach.
    • For 987, Fearghal, mac Conaing, chief of Aileach and Cenél Eóghain.
    • For 995, Aodh, mac Domhnaill, chief of Aileach.
    • Obit. 1000, Fearghal, mac Conaing, chief of Aileach.
    • For 1003, Aodh, mac Domhnaill uí Néill, lord of Aileach.
    • For 1005/10, Flaithbhertach, mac Muirchertaigh, chief of Aileach (Clan Domnaill macMurchertaich).
    • Obit. 1033, Aedh mac Flaithbhertaigh Uí Néill, tigherna Aileach.
    • Obit. 1036, Flaithbhertach an Trosttáin Ua Néill, tigherna Aileach.
    • For 1044, Niall mac Maoileachlaind, lá tigherna n-Ailigh.
    • Obit. 1054, Aedh ua Ferghaile, mic Conaing mic Néill tigherna Ceniuil Eoghain Tealcha Ócc and heir apparent of Aileach.
    • Obit. 1061, Niall, mac Maoil Sechlainn, tigherna Oiligh.
    • For 1064, Ardghal mac Lochlainn, tigherna Oiligh, d'ecc i t-Tealach Occ.
    • Obit 1064, Muirchertach Ua Néill, tigherna Tealcha Occ.
    • Obit 1068, Domhnall ua Maoilechlainn, .i. mac Neill mic Maoileachlainn, tigherna Oiligh.
    • For 1068, Flaithbhertach Ua Ferghail, tigherna Tealcha Occ.
    • Obit. 1078, Conchobhar Ua Briain(?), tigherna Ceneóil n-Eoghain & Tealcha Occ.
    • Obit. 1083, Aodh ua Maoilechlainn, tigherna Oiligh.
    • For 1088, Domhnall, mac mic Lochlainn, lá rígh n-Ailigh.
    • For 1148, Domhnall Ua Gairmledhaigh, chief of Chenel Eoghain.
    • For 1164, Muirchertach, mac Néill, lord of Aileach & maithe Cenel Eoghain.
    • For 1170, Conchobhar, mac Muirchertaigh Ui Lochlainn, chief of Cenél Eóghain.
    • For 1177, Aedh h-Ua Neill, that is, In Macamh Toinlesc, ri Ceneoil Eogain.

Cenél Eóghain Sovereigns of Ireland
    • Obit. 465, Eoghan, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages, eponymous ancestor of the Cenél Eóghain.
    • 504 to 527, After Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages (Cenel Mac Earca).
    • 559 to 561, Domhnall and Fearghus, the two sons of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan, son of Niall (Cenel Mac Earca).
    • 562 to 563, Eochaidh, son of Domhnall, son of Muircheartach (Cenel Mac Earca); and Baedan Brighi, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach (Cenel Mac Earca).
    • 595 to 600, Colman Rimidh, son of Baedan Brighi, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan, son of Niall.
    • 601 to 607, Aedh Uairidhnach, son of Domhnall Ilchealgach, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach, son of Eoghan (Cenel Mac Earca).
    • 709 to 718, Fearghal, son of Maelduin, son of Maelfithrigh, son of Aedh Uairidhnach (Cenel Mac Earca).
    • 730 to 738, Aedh Allan, son of Fearghal, son of Maelduin.
    • 759 to 765, Niall Frosach, son of Fearghal, son of Maelduin.
    • 793 to 817, Aedh Oirdnidhe, son of Niall Frosach, son of Fearghal.
    • 832 to 844, Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe, son of Niall Frosach.
    • 861 to 876, Aedh Finnliath, son of Niall Caille, son of Aedh Oirdnidhe.

The annals cite for Cenél Conaill:
    • For 464, Conall Gulban, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages (from whom are descended the Cinel Conaill), was slain by the old tribes of Magh Slecht, he having been found unprotected, and was buried at Fidhnach Maighe Rein, by Saint Caillin, as the Life of the aforesaid saint relates.
    • For 564, The first year of Ainmire, son of Sedna, son of Fearghus Ceannfhoda, in the sovereignty of Ireland.
    • For 566, After Ainmire, son of Sedna, son of Fearghus Ceannfhoda, was three years in the sovereignty of Ireland, he was slain by Fearghus, son of Nellin.
    • For 567, After Baedan, son of Ninnidh, son of Fearghus Ceannfhoda, had been one year in the sovereignty of Ireland, he was slain at Leim An Eich.
    • For 568, The first year of Aedh, son of Ainmire, over Ireland. Fearghus, son of Nellin, was slain by Aedh, son of Ainmire, in revenge of his father. Aedh was ancestor of the families O'Gallachubair (O'Gallagher), O'Canannan (O'Cannon) and O'Maeldoraidh (O'Muldory of Loch Erne)
    • For 579, The battle of Druim Mic Earca, was gained by Aedh, son of Ainmire, over the Cinel Eogain, where was slain Colga, son of Domhnall, son of Muircheartach, son of Muireadhach.
    • For 586, Baedan, son of Níndedha, son? of Conall Gulban, king of Tara.
    • For 594, After Aedh, son of Ainmire, son of Sedna, had been twenty seven years in the sovereignty of Ireland, he was slain by Bran Dubh, son of Eochaidh, in the battle of Dun Bolg, in Leinster, after Aedh had gone to exact the Borumha, and to avenge his son Comusgach upon them. Some nobles fell in this battle of Bealach Duin Bolg, together with Beg, son of Cuanach, Lord of Oirghialla.
    • For 605, Seachnasach, son of Garbhan, chief of Cinel Boghaine, was slain by Domhnall, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire.
    • For 608, The first year of Maelcobha, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire, in the sovereignty of Ireland.
    • For 610, After Maelcobha, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire, had been three years in the sovereignty of Ireland, he was slain by Suibhne Meann, in the battle of Sliabh Toadh.
    • For 624, The first year of Domhnall, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire, in the sovereignty of Ireland.
    • For 634, The battle of Magh Rath was gained by Domhnall, son of Aedh, and the sons of Aedh Slaine, over Congal Claen, son of Scannlan, King of Ulidia, where fell Congal, and the Ulidians and foreigners along with him.
    • For 639, After Domhnall, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire, had been sixteen years in the sovereignty of Ireland, he died at Ard Fothadh, in Tir Aedha, after the victory of penance, for he was a year in his mortal sickness; and he used to receive the body of Christ every Sunday.
    • For 640, The first year of Conall Cael and Ceallach, two sons of Maelcobha, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire, over Ireland, in joint sovereignty.
    • For 641, Maelbreasail and Maelanfaidh died; and Flann Enaigh was mortally wounded. These were of the Cinel Conaill Gulban.
    • For 646, The battle of Dun Crimhthainn was gained by Conall and Ceallach, the two sons of Maelcobha, over Aenghus, son of Domhnall; and Aenghus was slain in this battle; and there was also slain in this same battle Cathasach, son of Domhnall Breac.

Chiefs of Cenél Conaill
    • For 670, Loingseach, son of Aenghus, chief of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 742, Aedh Muindearg, son of Flaithbheartach, lord of the North.
    • For 744, Domhnall, son of Aedh Muindearg, lord of the North.
    • Obit. 749, Loingseach, son of Flaithbheartach, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 762, Murchadh, son of Flaithbheartach, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 799, Domhnall, son of Aedh Muindearg, son of Flaithbheartach, son of Loingseach, son of Aenghus, son of Domhnall, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire, lord of the North.
    • Obit. 817, Maelbreasail, son of Murchadh, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 868, Dalach, son of Muircheartach, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 896, Maelbreasail, son of Maeldoraidh, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 899, Fogartach, son of Maeldoraidh, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 901, Eigneachan, son of Dalach, son of Muircheartach, lord of Cinel Conaill.
    • Obit. 948, Ruaidrí ua Canannáin, descent from Flaithbheartach, son of Loingseach.
    • Obit. 955, Maol Coluim Ua Canannáin, chief of Ceneoil Conaill.
    • Obit. 962, Muirchertach h-Ua Canannáin, chief of Cenél Conuill.
    • For 967, Maoil íosa Ua Canannan, lord of Cenil Conaill.
    • Obit. 976, Giolla Colaim Ua Canandáin, chief of Ceneóil Conaill.
    • Obit. 978, Tighernán ua Maol Doraidh, chief of Cenél Conaill.
    • Obit. 989, Aedh ua Maol Doraidh, chief of Cenél cConaill.
    • Obit. 996, Ruaidhri, mac Néill Ui Canandain, chief of Cenel Conaill.
    • Obit. 999, Flaithbhertach Ua Canandáin, chief of Cheneoil Conaill, slain by Cenel Budhdéin.
    • For 1010/27, Mael Ruanaidh ua Mael Doraidh, lord of Ceniuil Conaill.
    • Obit. 1030, Ruaidhri Ua Canannáin, tigherna Cenel Conaill.
    • Obit. 1032, Domhnall, mac Maol Ruanaidh Uí Mhaoldoraidh, tigherna Ceniuil Conaill, slain by Cloind Fhianghasa.
    • Obit. 1045, Flaithbhertach Ua Canannáin, tigherna Cheneoil Conaill.
    • Obit. 1071, Ruaidhri Ua Canannáin, tigherna Ceneoil Conaill.
    • For 1153, Flaithbhertach Ua Canannáin, chief of Cenél c-Conaill.
    • For 1156, Aedh, mac Ruaidhri Uí Chanannáin, chief of Cenel c-Conaill.
    • For 1160, Aithchléreach Ua c-Canannáin, lá tigherna Cenél Conaill.
    • Obit. 1075, Donnchadh Ua Canannain, tigherna Ceneoil Conaill.
    • Obit. 1083, Domhnall Ua Canannáin tigherna Ceneóil c-Conaill.
    • For 1085, Murchadh Ua Maol Doraidh, tigherna Cenel Conaill.
    • Obit. 1093, Aodh Ua Canannáin, chief of Cenil Conaill, slain by Domhnall ua Lachlaind, lord of n-Ailigh.
    • Obit. 1188, Ruaidhri h-Ua Canannan, lord of Ceneoil Conaill, was slain by Fhlaithbertach h-Ua Mael Doraidh.
    • For 1197, Echmarcach h-Ua Dochartaich, lord of Ceneoil Conaill.
    • For 1197, Flaithbertach O Mael Doraidh, lord of the North (Conaill & Eogain & Aigiall).

Cenél Conaill Sovereigns of Ireland
    • Obit. 464, Conall Gulban, son of Niall of the Nine Hostages, eponymous ancestor of the Cenél Conaill.
    • 564 to 566, Ainmire, son of Sedna, son of Fearghus Ceannfhoda.
    • 568 to 594, Aedh, son of Ainmire, son of Sedna
    • For 586, Baedan, son of Níndedha, son of Conall Gulban, king of Tara.
    • 608 to 610, Maelcobha, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire.
    • 624 to 639, Domhnall, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire
    • 640 to 656, Conall Cael and Ceallach, two sons of Maelcobha, son of Aedh, son of Ainmire.
    • 694 to 701, Loingseach, son of Aenghus, son of Domhnall, son of Aedh. CC?
    • 702 to 708, Congal of Ceann Maghair, son of Fearghus of Fanaid.
    • 723 to 729, Flaithbheartach, son of Loingseach, son of Aenghus.

Contemporary writers, e.g. O'Rahilly and Byrne, suggest the three Collas are mere doublets of the three sons of Niall Noigiallach who conquered portions of early Ulster, their names being Eogan, Conall and Enda.

Airghialla (Oriel)

Background on the Three Collas

Ancient Irish tradition tells us that Airghialla (or Oriel) was a territory in northern Ireland founded by the three Collas about the 4th century of the Christian Era, and inhabited by their descendants in later centuries. As is the case with much of Irish saga prior to the 6th century keep in mind the line between myth and history is unclear. The term Airgialla is translated as 'those who give hostages', alluding to a subordinate status of the various groups inhabiting the area. Contemporary writers, e.g. O'Rahilly and Byrne, suggest the three Collas are mere doublets of the three sons of Niall Noigiallach who conquered portions of early Ulster, their names being Eogan, Conall and Enda.

The three sons of Eochaid Duibhlein and Aileach, a daughter of the King of Alba, all bore the name of Colla - Colla Uais, Colla Meann and Colla da Crich (Fochríth). The designation Colla, meaning strong man, was "imposed on them for rebelling," their original names being Cairsall, Aodh and Muredach, respectively. The three Collas went to Scotland to obtain the assistance of their kindred to place Colla Uais on the Irish throne, and with their help placed him there, but he was compelled to give way to a relative, Muredach Tirech, who had a better title to the sovereignty.

The three Collas made war with the High King of Ireland, Fiachadh, and overthrew and killed him in order to sieze the Kingship for Colla Uais, which he enjoyed for four years. Muiredach Tirech, the son of the slain king Fiachadh, overthrew the three Collas and their followers. About the year 327 the three Collas were exiled to Alba (Scotland). They were received into their maternal grandfather's court, the court of the Scots and Picts.
    The Irish Annals record for the year 327, "The fourth year of Colla Uais, in the sovereignty of Ireland, when Muireadhach Tireach expelled him and his brothers into Alba (?) with three hundred along with them."
    The annals continue for the same year, "At the end of this year the three Collas came (back) to Ireland; and there lived not of their forces but thrice nine persons only. They then went to Muireadhach, having been instructed by a druid. And they scolded at him, and expressed evil words, that he might kill them, and that it might be on him the curse of the finghal should alight. As he did not oppose them, they tarried with him, and were faithful to him."
    "The Collas first went to their kin in Connaught [King Muiredeach] and there gathered a great army for the invasion of Ulster. On the plain of Farney in Monaghan they met the Ulstermen under their king, Fergus, and on seven successive days broke battle upon them, finally slaying Fergus and putting the Ultach (Ulstermen) to complete rout. Of the conquered portion of Ulster, from Louth in the south to Derry in the north, and from Loch Neagh to Loch Erne, the Collas made themselves the new kingdom of Oirgialla (Oriel)."

The Airghialla were a loose federation of tuath, largely located in the modern province of Ulster. Their territory, depending on timeframe, included much of what includes the modern counties of Monaghan, Armagh and Fermanagh. In addition, other places where Arghialla groups have been noted included areas within the modern counties of Tyrone, Cavan, Meath, Westmeath, Louth, and Derry.
    A steady push by the Cenél nEógain in the 7th and 8th centuries reduced the size of the Aighiallan federation as the people of northern Airghialla came to be treated as sub-kingdoms of the Cenél nEógain. During a similar period the southern branches of the Airghialla came under the dominion of the southern Uí Néill kingdoms of Mide and Brega. By the 9th century Airgialla proper, as a political entity, was practically confined to the modern counties Armagh, Monaghan, Fermanagh, and part of Louth, with the Uí Thuirtri kingdom in east Tyrone in process of being absorbed into the Cenél nEógain over-kingdom of Ailech.
    Last edited by absinthia; November 14, 2009 at 01:00 PM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

So, if the current progress is any indication, with the increasingly rag-tag units for the Romano-British, would the reverse apply when/if we get the Eastern Empire. Given that they were the wealthiest of the Romans, would they then be represented by the "shiniest" troops?

Anyways, any chance we could get a legend for what colours represent what on the map? My knowledge of the time period is mostly on the Empire proper, so I can't say from memory who is who. It looks to me as if most of the territory is under the control of one Roman faction or another, at least given by all the red.
    Therefore, I conclude, that Valve should announce Half Life 2 Episode 3.

Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast