Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Period Portraits Mod 0.4

Default Re: Period Portraits Mod 0.2

0.2 is uploaded. Changelog can be found in the OP.

I have now seperated the pack file and the startpos files. For the newer versions, it's likely I will only change the pack file, so it seems natural to have a download link for just that one. This goes for 0.2 as well, you only need to download the pack file, if you already have the startpos.esf.
    Last edited by Onkel Tuca; November 08, 2009 at 04:56 PM.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

A suggestion: In 1700, it seemed that Louis XIV's son would succeed to the throne. But by 1715, when he died, he had lost all his legitimate sons, grandsons and one of his great-grandsons. In that context, had Louis died earlier, his son/grandson/older great grandson would have succeeded him. Can you incorporate that fact into the portraits? Thanks.

It's important in the sense that the Louis XV in the game might not be the Louis XV who succeeded to the throne at the age of 5 in 1715. If Louis XIV had died in April 1711, this man (Louis the Grand Dauphin) would have been Louis XV:

Whereas had Louis XIV died after 14th April 1711, this man would have become Louis XV:

Whereas had Louis died after April 12th 1712, this child would have become Louis XV:

As it happened, this child became Louis XV instead because the above (his brother) died in March 1712.

Last edited by Geronimo2006; November 07, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Paul_Kingtiger's Avatar Foederatus

Fantastic stuff. Any chance of a Rights of Man compatible version?
    www.st-george-squadron.co.uk
    a Pirates of the Burning Sea Guild

Yoram777's Avatar Semisalis

still downloading, but +rep in advance

AlCord's Avatar Semisalis

Hi there. I tested it and must say: a nice one. Adds a lot atmosphere. But I don't like the rectangular small pics of the characters. Perhaps you can do them like the full sized ones: oval?

Onkel Tuca, you got my PM about this mod?

Default Re: Period Portraits Mod 0.3

0.3 is uploaded. Frames are now added to all icons, making them much easier to behold. Thanks a lot to Yoram777 for your work.

http://www.filefront.com/14888425/Pe...aits%200.3.rar
    Last edited by Onkel Tuca; November 08, 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onkel Tuca View Post
    0.3 is uploaded. Frames are now added to all icons, making them much easier to behold. Thanks a lot to Yoram777 for your work.
    It was my pleasure (if only my internet would've cooperated a bit more ..)

Here are some pics of v0.3:

Ok this looks a lot better

Perhaps for the future version 0.4:

The small picture of the general of Prussia "Leopold von Anhalt Dessau" looks a bit strange, not symmetrical.

For anyone wanting to support the mod, you can use this sig, which links to this thread. Courtesy of Yoram777.

Aloicias's Avatar Senator

In your expert opinion how many of each painting (generals, rulers, etc) for a single faction would be required for a nice selection per game?

are you just going through the .loc file and adding portraits to the names? If so, I want to ask if you have a portrait for the Napoleon Bonaparte character.
    Lemonaids is:
    a troll
    a noob
    and insult extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicias View Post
    In your expert opinion how many of each painting (generals, rulers, etc) for a single faction would be required for a nice selection per game?
    I'm confused, how do you mean exactly? You mean to not use the whole mod, but just a part of it...or what?

Quote Originally Posted by LEMONAIDS View Post
    are you just going through the .loc file and adding portraits to the names? If so, I want to ask if you have a portrait for the Napoleon Bonaparte character.
    I've been searching through the .loc files trying to find variables for portraits, hoping to accomplish what you're asking for; historical portraits for historical characters throughout the period. However, I haven't been able to find any such variables, so I reckon they are chosen randomly, sorry. So, I haven't touched the .loc files at all.
    Proper portraits for historical characters at the start of the campaign is all I have been able to muster, modifying the startpos.esf.
    Last edited by Onkel Tuca; November 10, 2009 at 02:18 AM.

Aloicias's Avatar Senator

No Im using your whole mod. Im thinking of trying to collect pics for the native factions. I wanting to know how many of each I would have to find. Can you specify a group of photos to a specific faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Aloicias View Post
    No Im using your whole mod. Im thinking of trying to collect pics for the native factions. I wanting to know how many of each I would have to find. Can you specify a group of photos to a specific faction?
    Ah, I see. Well, that depends on what category you're working on. With kings, you should probably go with around 40-50 unique portraits at minimum, but more is recommended of course. For ministers and generals, around 100 unique portraits at least. If you go much lower than these numbers, you're going to see a lot of repetition among your portraits. Several ministers within your government will look the same, etc. I'm unsure how many native portraits are available, but these are my recommendations. You should always strive to find as many as possible though, to lower repetitiveness.

Faction specific portraits aren't possible as far as I know, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by AlCord View Post
    The small picture of the general of Prussia "Leopold von Anhalt Dessau" looks a bit strange, not symmetrical.
    Some pictures got deformed because the miniatures (the cards) were all different sizes/resolutions.
    Work has already started to create new cards that are all exactly the right size/resolution but there's quite a lot of pictures to work on so it will take a while.

I have already finished 400 pics including all Generals and Kings (which btw, look really nice in-game now)
    But I'm not really sure what Onkel Tuca is working on at the moment, so I don't really know how far we have progressed. (haven't heard from Tuca a while now)

I'm not going to mod anything without Tuca's permission since in the end it's his mod, I'm just helping out..

But I think Tuca would agree that 0.4 is not that far away
    Last edited by Yoram777; November 14, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

Last edited by KLAssurbanipal; November 11, 2009 at 06:15 PM.

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Villars portrait I found:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

George I of Great Britain:
    George II of GB:

And Onkel Tuca, could you make the unit card faces more symmetrical and less narrow? One or two seem a bit...narrow.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; November 12, 2009 at 05:35 AM.
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

I think the picture of the war minister of Prussia is wrong. I found this one of Johann (Hans Albrecht) von Barfus:

Johann von Barfus

Perhaps, this one is better:

Johann von Barfus
    Last edited by AlCord; November 12, 2009 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast