Thread: Trying to add new ancillaies

Default Trying to add new ancillaies

Hoping a modder can help me.

I have designed new retainer and have tried unsuccessfully to get him included in my existing campaign.

The 'Master Monger" ( a super fishmonger no less !)
    I have loaded the files and started an existing campaign.
    I have a large town with an existing fish monger building and a governor located within.
    I then played (fast forwarded) about 5 turns but no " retinue expands" for me , even when I reset the acquisition chance to 90% !!

Can some one please tell me what I am doing wrong .........

See files below:

from "export_descr_ancillaries"
    ;------------------------------------------
    Ancillary master_monger
    Image carver.tga
    ExcludeCultures barbarian, nomad
    Description master_monger_desc
    EffectsDescription master_monger_effects_desc
    Effect Health 1
    Effect Squalor -1
    ;------------------------------------------
    Trigger master_monger
    WhenToTest CharacterTurnEnd
    Condition Trait AncillaryAcquired < 1
    and EndedInSettlement
    and RemainingMPPercentage = 100
    and SettlementBuildingExists >= Fishmonger1a
    and IsGeneral

Affects AncillaryAcquired 1 Chance 100
    AcquireAncillary master_monger chance 50

note; both description and trigger appear in the same order in each respective section.

from "export_ancillaries"

¬---------------

{master_monger} Master Monger

{master_monger_desc}
    An expert in all aspects of fish preservation and distribution.

{master_monger_effects_desc}
    +1 to public health, -1 squalor

from "export_descr_ancillary_enums"

master_hunter
    master_hunter_desc
    master_monger
    master_monger_desc
    master_monger_effects_desc

master_of_archers
    master_of_archers_desc

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Trying to add new ancillaies

I don't see any blatant errors here, but there are conditions that may prevent the ancillary from appearing

Oops..........an existing campaign, you say?

In that case, it may well be that the problem is in the order of traits/ancillaries. Make sure you add the new entries at the bottom of their respective files.

Make sure the general in question has less than 7 ancillaries. If it has 7 or more, the condition Trait AncillaryAcquired < 1 will be false

RemainingMPPercentage: I've tried this condition and it doesn't always give the result I expected. I would scrap it tbh.

Due to the structure of the Fishmonger building tree >= Fishmonger1a won't always be true if there's a fishmonger. If you want it to be true always, use > Fishmonger0 instead. However as you're looking at a large town it can only be a Fishmonger1a, so that can't be the reason your ancillary isn't working.
    Last edited by Muizer; February 19, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Thanks Muizer
    So in export_descr_ancillaries I re positioned the ancillary and trigger to the very bottom of each respective list, as you instructed.
    I also changed the trigger section by removing "RemainingMPPercentage" and changed the building to Fishmonger0.
    I then put 3 leaders in the town and they all had room for a stack more retinue.
    Pressed New turn ..... still nothing

Must I also move the Master_monger entries in the "export_ancillaries" & "export_descr_ancillary_enums" to the bottom of their respective lists too ?

I'd really love to solve this problem as the 'leadership system' is so brilliant, having the ability to determine new ancillaries would really add to the whole playing experience.

[Side note, I played a few turns of my current campaign before I got your reply using the modified export_descr_ancillaries file, just to see what happens; Well it changed certain ( not all) retinue members on some leaders (eg a tutor became turncoat slave), and the appointments handed out in Rome were all screwed up, got AED's and COS's instead of Q's and PRAE 's.
    ( I guess it's because I have mucked up the original order of which ancillaries appear on the export_descr_ancillaries file.)]

Maurits's Avatar ЯTR

No, that's because changes in traits or ancillaries are not savegame compatible. When you start a new campaign, it should work, and it is only then that you'll be able to see the new ancillary working (provided that it's coded correctly)

RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member
    My AAR: For Glory and the Republic!

Proud to be patronized by ybbon66

Patrician Artifex

I think you can add traits and ancillaries mid-game, but only if you add them at the bottom, to keep the order of existing traits and ancillaries intact. The order in export_ancillaries probably won't matter, but in export_descr_ancillary_enums it probably does. I'm sorry I cannot be more definite. I rarely add new traits mid-game.

Also, if you're not using it already, try out this tool:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=142568

Unfortunately, for VII it throws up a lot of false positives (all the SettlementName conditions, for instance, as well as faction names), which makes using it more involved than it should be. Still, if all else fails..........
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Unfortunately it still didn't work , even after I placed the 'monger' at the end of the 'enmu' script.
    Perhaps Maurits is right about introducing new ancillary into saved games.

Pity, I would start a new campaign but I am at 202 BC so it would not be worth giving up just to have an above average fishmonger.

But I will start a test one just to see if it works .......

Patrician Artifex

It's got to be something like that. I would expect your ancillary to work. I have one suggestion left that may help debug the ancillary. You can replace all your conditions with the single condition GovernorBuildingExists > Fishmonger0

This condition checks whether a character is the governor (and therefore implicitly a general in a settlement) and whether a building exists.
    Last edited by Muizer; February 21, 2012 at 03:34 AM.

thanks again
    I'll give it a go and let you know how it went

Caligula Caesar's Avatar Horse Lord

What does the AncillaryAcquired trait do? I don't know much about ancillaries, but I'm guessing it is triggered each time an ancillary is triggered (incidentally, on this ancillary, it seems to be triggered 100% of the time whilst the ancillary is triggered 50% of the time, though there may be things in EDCT to sort that out). This would mean that only a character with no ancillaries could get this one, if I am guessing correctly.

Also, I thought the enums files didn't do anything...
    RTR-VII Team Leader and Leader of Fortuna Orbis, an RTR Submod

"History has only one concern and aim, and that is the useful; which again has one single source, and that is truth." -Lucian of Samosata

Fortuna Orbis Beta is released!

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula Caesar View Post
    What does the AncillaryAcquired trait do? I don't know much about ancillaries, but I'm guessing it is triggered each time an ancillary is triggered (incidentally, on this ancillary, it seems to be triggered 100% of the time whilst the ancillary is triggered 50% of the time, though there may be things in EDCT to sort that out). This would mean that only a character with no ancillaries could get this one, if I am guessing correctly.

Also, I thought the enums files didn't do anything...
    I introduced that trait to prevent FM's from obtaining the maximum number of ancillaries (which leaves no room to transfer any manually).

Afaik the chances are evaluated independently. Combining a 100% chance for the trait with a <100% chance for the ancillariy could result in the ancillary count being higher than the actual number of ancillaries, but would not cause the ancillary not to work at all.

Hi
    Is it possible to create a new triggering 'condition' and is it possible to create a new 'effect', or are the existing ones all hard coded ?

Patrician Artifex

Yes, I'm afraid that's all hard coded.