Thread: Mines!

Default Mines!

Wouldn't it be cool if in Sieges, we can make troops dig in underground, and set Mines below a Fortress? The Ottomans did that in Vienna. Yes, not many Mines were used in Napoleonic Wars, but wouldn't it be amazing to use Mines? Of course, they would cost 1 turn to deploy Mines under a fort, but it would be spectacular if we could use Mines.

Do you think Mines should be used?

Default Re: Mines!

YES! And trenches and siege fortifications too. But that might all be a little complex...

InF3sTeD's Avatar Decanus

They had sappers in Rome Total War. They would dig up to a wall and plant explosives. It was a pretty cool way to take down a wall without having to use artillary.

Haha, you know how if you have men manning the cannons at the front of your fort, the enemy infantry will come right up to the walls, then march around to the back at a mine-ish sort of distance from your fortifications? Mines would be a guaranteed win against infantry armies. If the first explosion doesn't rout or destroy them, somewhere along the line they would give up or perish. "The end of ninja ropes".

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by InF3sTeD View Post
    They had sappers in Rome Total War. They would dig up to a wall and plant explosives. It was a pretty cool way to take down a wall without having to use artillary.
    Actually, it wasn`t explosives as there was no such things. What happens is that they dig underneath then gather burning stuff like wood and basically burn right under the walls until the walls weakened and collapsed. Also, in reality it would take a few weeks to do, although this is represented in that you have to wait t least a turn before sapping works..

I'm dont think that's CA do that but it's very very good idea
    I wish it will be
    Horse bug(Don't bump the thread)

There's a problem. Every time you mention mines, it is almost impossible to separate it from countermines. That's like cavalry and stakes. Or artillery and cavalry. If ETW got option for besieged army to prepare as well as besiegers(i.e. trenches etc.) mines scould be implemented easily. but now it may be too disbalanced in terms of abilityto destroy enemy fortifications.

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - W. Churchill

Baker2's Avatar Libertus

Mines definitely need to be made available, instead of a Campaign-only unit's drop-off weapon

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah. Fougasse for forts. Cool
    [Col] RO Citizen

I have another idea

Make Mine Unit[they have also Musket guns] that's dig and put some mines underground fast
    like the wood spikes but you cant see that (you can guess if you see Mine Unit near that)

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Wasn't that the job of Sappers?
    [Col] RO Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by RO Citizen View Post
    Wasn't that the job of Sappers?
    Sappers = mine unit
    it's the same

Der Löwe's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by gilmeiri1 View Post
    Sappers = mine unit
    it's the same
    Well, to sapp, what sappes did, was to dig a trench towards the fortess, or in reality towards just outside of the fortress. Usualy it was not underground but a waisthigh treanch whit gabions, baskes whit eart, on top. These sapps when close enough was the starting line for parallells, a trench running paralell to the fortress line. But I guess you would use sappers if you where to dig under the walls of a fortress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ille faciet
    Ära vare den högste, de sinas tillflykt.
    Med Gud och segrande vapen!

of course!
    -
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    -
    -
    -

Golden Conquistador