PRAETOR
    APPIVS CLAVIDVS PVLCHER

QVAESTOR
    DECIMVS CLAVDIVS IGNENVVS

TRIBVNVS PLEBIS
    DESIVS FESTINIVS BIBVLVS

PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
    PVBLIVS HERRENIVS

Last edited by Raglan; November 03, 2009 at 06:57 AM.

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Celsus and ...

Barba walked into the Curia. He could not win the Consulship, but he was still the Pontifex Maximus.

"Romans! I bring you now word of the Gods! I have met with the College of Pontifices and the Haruspices! The sacrifices show the beast's entrails were clean and with no marks, clear, showing that in the following years there shall be little uncertainty about the future of Rome! The gods have cleared our path, and will bring us victory in our future endevours!"

Some senator's clapped and nodded, pleased with the good omen. Barba moved to his seat, and waited for the Consul to continue the session.

Festinius walks in and seats himself opposite Herrenius, the man was known for his dislike of the plebs.
    It would be hard to find a friend in Barba and any man who agreed with his ideals. As the new Tribune he had to at least be seen to work for the interests of the people although he saw his power as a useful bargaining chip against his enemies. If need be he could block them at every turn although he had to be careful, life could soon be made difficult for him once he lost his veto and his enemies managed to gang up upon him.
    Last edited by Crozimodo; November 02, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Aulus walks into the Curia, it was his first ever term and although slightly disapointed he'd lost the tribune vote, he hoped to get to know many of the senators and furter his agenda for helping the plebs.

Spotting out of the corner of his eye, he sees the tribune for the term and moves over to congratulate him on a seccessfull campaign.

Then taking a seat he waits for the consul to arrive and open the curia for the term

Kaeso Pullo walks in and sits next to the new Pontifex - Publius Herrenius.

Good day Publius, shame about the Consul vote but a better man for Pontifex we could not find! That's good to hear about the auspices, we are very superstitious people Publius. Now where is the Consul? We are at war you know!

-Aquila-'s Avatar Campidoctor

Cato walks into the Curia, ready for the new term, his first as a Senator, as he stepped in he looked around the vast room scanning his glance across the entire room still with a huge grin on his face as usual.
    After standing for a while he slowly moved over to a free seat and sat down.
    Turning to a grim faced senator seated next to him.

So waiting for the Consul hu? Oh and why the grim face, its only a war...
    Cato chuckled to himself while he introduced himself to his fellow Senators seated around him.

YATS - Quintus Licinius Cato [31], Plebeian Senator

Quote Originally Posted by CoolIdiot View Post
    Kaeso Pullo walks in and sits next to the new Pontifex - Publius Herrenius.

Good day Publius, shame about the Consul vote but a better man for Pontifex we could not find! That's good to hear about the auspices, we are very superstitious people Publius. Now where is the Consul? We are at war you know!
    "Good day, Pullo. Yes, it was quite calming to know the gods are backing in this time. We ought to make sure that does not change. As for the Consul, I suppose something may be delaying him. I've heard he has prepared a report, so I trust our waiting will not be in vain."

Barba waited patiently, looking constantly at the door for the slightest sign of Celsus.
    Last edited by Ozy; November 02, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

“Ave, Senators!” cried a booming voice from the centre of the hall. Celsus had stood up, and now addressed the Senate. The House was filled to the brim, no one wanted to miss the year's first meeting. Everyone wanted to know what will happen during the term; and most common of all was the topic of the Epeirot king, Pyrrhus, who now stood firmly on Italian soil, in support of the Tarentine rebellion.

“To those who have supported me,” continued Celsus, “in gaining this Consulship, thank you. To those who have not: I hope you will be satisfied with our Republic's progress during the year, and that by the end of the term, your doubts will prove to be wrong.”
    The great doors were open, and many people were gathered outside the entrance, listening intently to the new Consul's speech.
    “I am very grateful that such a good number of men have gathered here for this meeting. I am sure that together, we will bring honour and glory to this great Republic our forefathers have given us!”
    The audience clapped, some cheered. Celsus merely smiled, and waved his hand for them to settle down.

“First and foremost,” the Consul continued, “it is time that every man in the Senate – and outside,” he added to some approving nods from the men standing at the doors, “- finally do his duty as it is asked of him! We will no longer have postponed Quaestorial reports, nor drawn out waits for certain men to answer the Curia's call. Most importantly, we will not have anymore light talk in this House, no more convenient forgetfulness of the facts!
    “Senators, I want to see you on every session this House has. No more absence just because you don't care about the subject or because you are simply too lazy to do your duty! Only if the Gods have struck someone with illness, or other pressing problems at home shall we pardon not coming to the Senate's discussions.”
    Some more applause; many encouraging grins, nods; a few blushed faces.

“Now,” Celsus went on after a needed pause, “as I have spoken of duty, I shall present to you what has been my responsibility to work on.”
    He turned around and picked up one of the scrolls lying on his chair.
    “On this, you will find the military reports of our cities and regions.”
    With that, he passed it around, commenting each regions standing, saying a few ideas as to what could be done at certain places.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Illustrated below is the list presented.

Ariminum:

Arretium:

Asculum:

Rome:

Apullania:

Capua:

Neapolis:

“As you see, we have quite formidable garrisons around Italy. However, don't even think we are safe. In the north, massive armies gather near our borders, threatening the Umbrian border and the city of Ariminum.”

-

A murmur rose in the House. Senators and people outside huddled together to whisper to each other hastily. So rebellion was boiling in the north and not just in the south – ye Gods, he hadn't even talked about the south yet! And somehow everyone knew that was to be the most important topic of the meeting. All this was unimportant to what was to come.

“And now,” Celsus called out, “we reach the most significant subject of this debate. All of you know by now, that we have recently lost many of our southern Allies on the Italian Peninsula. For all those who do not know, I will briefly tell you what everyone is talking about. Only a few years ago, the town of Thurii requested military assistance from Rome. Thus Rome, always true to her word sent a fleet to help the Thurians. But when our navy arrived, suddenly a Tarentine fleet attacked and sunk all of our ships, arguing that we have performed a hostile aggression and violated a treaty with the city of Tarentum.
    In other words, Conscript Fathers, Romans, this city rebelled against our noble and lawful rule in Italy!”
    The House went up in boos and cries of anger. The Consul raised his hand again.
    “But the Tarentines were too cowardly – or to give them some credit, too wise to face us alone. Instead, they asked for help from a foreign king, a Greek, an outlaw, Pyrrhus of Epirus. And this man now stands on our lands.
    Now, Senators, I do not want you to take this lightly. I have heard of your talks on the streets, of the pleasant chats around Rome. How you have waved away the thought of this Pyrrhus as a thin wisp of smoke. Speaking of him as if he were just a fool rebel with a sling and club shouting for Rome's downfall.
    But beware. Beware, Senators, for this is not a mere revolt. This man, this Epeirot King is not just an insane man, who doesn't know what he is doing. Be assured, he knows very well – after all, he stands at the head of an army poised to strike at the very heart of Rome!

'No!' sounded the cry through the Curia. It echoed around, flying out of the hall and resonating across the Forum. Finally, when a reasonable silence fell again, Celsus continued.
    “And if this would not be enough, our other southern Allies have abandoned us and joined Pyrrhus. I have sent out spies to gather information about the position of our enemies' armies and their composition. Here are the scrolls that contain this information.” And he passed them out, Senators joining up in groups of four and five to have a look at them. The situation was indeed quite troubling. The settlements of Cannae and Croton led the other rebel forces around the Tarentine Bay, both holding sizeable armies.

-

-

-
    -
    -

Only when the scrolls arrived back to the Consul and were set down on the curule chair again, did he continue.
    “So here we are. Trapped by rebels, threatened by armies that think they are strong enough to stand up against us, Romans! Just who do they think they are?! We have given them land, we have protected them from their enemies, under us they – have – prospered!
    And they have betrayed us. And they have spat on us. They have burned our villages, towns and cities. Murdered those loyal to us! Romans, do we just sit here? Do we just stand calmly as if we didn't hear the cries of our friends' and brothers' suffering?
    Or do we act as Romans, the Sons of Mars, with honour and dignity? Let us no longer sit idly by; let us stand up for what is ours and what must remain ours! Let us take up the gladius and the pila once more, and let us act as true Romans should!
    Senators, Friends, Brothers, People of Rome! The time has come to fight! To fight for our honour and our families. To fight for glory and justice! TO FIGHT FOR ROME!”

The House – and the Forum outside – erupted in applause. People cheered and clapped. Such was Rome – cold, cunning and wise; but when aroused, as fiery and passionate as the bravest of lions. It took a long time for the roar to settle down. And even more for the murmurs and whispers. Celsus had been mounting a powerful crescendo as he came to the end of his speech, and thrust his fist into the air at his last words. By now, he was adjusting his toga, and clearing his throat. Before sitting down in his chair, he raised his arms and said,
    “Let the debate begin.”
    Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; November 02, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Festinius stood and looked around the house, he was proud to be a part of such a thing. Looking at Celsus he began to speek,

My congratulations to the Consul for his election and indeed to all of those who have secured a place in this fine house. Everyone ran a fine campaign and I am honoured to stand before and speak for the masses of Rome.

Conscript fathers, this Greek King may be formidable but he is one man. We must view our enemy as a snake, yes it is long and large but one piece of it controls the rest, it's head. We cut that off and the body dies and is useless. Phyrrus must be killed first and foremost! I cannot make that clear enough. If we can destroy his main army we will need to simply mop up the remnants of his allies, that is he added with a wink if they havn't come grovelling to us for forgiveness first.

Of course we cannot ignore the threat from the North either, we are beseiged on all sides by enemies although Genoa looks to be the North's week point. With our current amount of troops I feel that we would be hard pressed to fight an offensive war, make no mistake our soldiers are the greatest in the world, but even they can be felled if they face odds of five to one! Perhaps by taking Genoa with a relatively large army we would be able to out produce our enemies in the case of soldiers. Of course I eagerly await the Quaestor's report in order to see if such a strategy is possible, we cannot buy soldiers without coin.

That is why I must stress that our economy is improved to the point where we can fight an economical war. I would suggest that we send our ships to blockade Tarantum cutting off Pyrrhus' resources and also his means of escape from Italy. He cannot be allowed to leave and raise another army to trouble us again. He is a canny opponent and has proven a strong tactical accumen. I await to see whether this house believes that we should bide our time and wait instead of launching ourselves headfirst at our enemies.

Perhaps a diplomat can be sent to the free peoples in an attempt to regain their allegiance to us, surely they must understand the threat we are should Phyrrus be defeated? What have they to gain by allying themselves with him, we have treated them justly and fairly and I feel that some attempt must be made to turn them against him. However, if they are willing they must be crushed along side the Greek dog!

Phyrrus must be stopped from reaching Rome at all costs, I would like the Senate's opinion on the idea of strategically placing forts at crucial points in the South of Italy. Points I feel we must cover are bridges and any mountain passes.

There is less land to the South of us so if we were to focus our efforts there we can have a large body of land and a threat from only one direction, the North. This is of course excluding sea attacks but I feel our navy is capable of protecting our shores. Once the South is secured efforts can be made to bolster the North against any who Phyrrus may attempt to draw to his banner.

What do the rest of you think?

He looked at Barba, I hope that in these times all prejudices can be put aside and we can strive to work for the good of Rome and all Romans.

He smiled and sat pleased with the speech.

Barba stood up, looking down on Festinius, and raised his hands to call the others' attention.

"Colleages! We must not risk a two front war, not when a foe such as Phyrrus stands before us! That man has not gained his renown as a strategist for nothing, and to be overconfident against him falls in the realms of idiocy! We should hold our northern frontier. Do not invade, but rather defend it with forts and troops. On the South, we should send the remaining troops, go for Phyrrus himself. The gods are with us against this man, but we must remember that a defeat a a price too high to pay, and to do so will take more allies from us and to the feet of Phyrrus. A decisive victory, against Phyrrus, it will effectively destroy his power here, allow us to take those Tarentine cowards!"

Cato rose with his smile plastered onto his face

Senators! If we go no the offensive against Phyrrus now that would mean going through Cannae and I for one do not see the need to do so at such a time. For all it will achieve is death amongst our own men! Cannae call themselves a free, independent city now thus they will not go across to Phyrrus' side so easily. Why would them work so hard to gain their own freedom to just throw it away at the first hurdle! Their armies are vast already and Phyrrus will have a hard time getting through them. He will weaken his own army in the process as well as those of the armies outside of Cannae. Why bother attacking them when our enemies will quite happily destroy each other before they even imagine taking us on!
    I say we wait, wait until their armies are tired, worn out and scarred then, when the time is right, we can march on them like an unforgivable wind ad wash their pitiful remnants of their armies away. For I see no use in throwing lives away meaninglessly when we can take up tactics that can avoid such a fate!

Thus all I see is two courses of action, either we face both the armies of Cannae and Phyrrus or we let them fight amongst themselves. I do not disagree that we have to drive his man off of our shores but how! We should not dive at such a man with our entire force for it would be foolish to think we can take on everyone at such a time!

Do we want to enter the battlefield against Phyrrus already bloodied and tired or do we want to enter it fresh and ready? Why try and take on both cities when we can both of them down with one stone?

Cato's grinned at the Senators across the hall from himself and returned to his seat.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Appius happy to have won the election for Praetor gets up and begins to speak.

Festinius why do you begin your term with an attack on us nobilies? We have done nothing to you yet you begin by attacking us. I suppose that may come from that chip on your shoulder on your own status. Do not allow your own shortcomings to cloud your judgment over us.

Now onto the matter at hand. We lack the forces to take on the Greeks on an open battle what we need to do is to take them in a series of smaller battles we and better lines of supply we need to bleed their forces dry whilst they may win the battles they will have no victory. The Greeks need to be the focus the Gauls lack the power to defeat us it is the Greeks we need to be worried about. Once we defeat him we shall have little to fear.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Default Re: Curia Hostilia: Consulate of Celsus and Barba

One thing is certain: We cannot allow Phyrrus to stay here, our honor demands that we strike the invader! How will our remaining allies see us if Phyrrus comes to Italy, makes our allies turn their back on us, challenges our power, and we sit here in our fortress, while he takes the rest of the peninsula? Nay I say! We have to move South, face him and defeat him in combat!

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

"Hear, hear!" stood up Celsus. "Senators, you must understand this important point my college has presented to us. Don't you see? Pyrrhus is playing with us! He is showing himself as a liberator, as if he would be saving us from Rome's rightful rule!
    And what do you want to do? Sit back and let him take away our cities? Precisely what I have warned you not to do. What will our other allies in Italy think if they see us abandon them like this?
    No. We must face Pyrrhus before it is too late. We have already delayed the fight far too long."

If we go south we will be forced into a war with Cannae as well as Epirus!

The Consul's report even tells us that Cannae have larger armies that Pyrrhus himself! Why has such a situation exploded into such worry?
    If the house is so determined to enter this war, I ask that you do not send our legions head first into foreign lands like a startled bull!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    Appius happy to have won the election for Praetor gets up and begins to speak.

Festinius why do you begin your term with an attack on us nobilies? We have done nothing to you yet you begin by attacking us. I suppose that may come from that chip on your shoulder on your own status. Do not allow your own shortcomings to cloud your judgment over us.

Now onto the matter at hand. We lack the forces to take on the Greeks on an open battle what we need to do is to take them in a series of smaller battles we and better lines of supply we need to bleed their forces dry whilst they may win the battles they will have no victory. The Greeks need to be the focus the Gauls lack the power to defeat us it is the Greeks we need to be worried about. Once we defeat him we shall have little to fear.
    Festinius stands and looks at the Praetor,

Appius I made no strike upon any man's honour here you misunderstand me. In all things there are rivals indeed in politics there are probably more than most other areas. All I ask is we all, including myself, do what is best for Rome and not for our own personal glory! I have no chip over my shoulder I am a Plebian in body and soul and I love Rome and her people as much as any man here Patrician or Plebian. I ask you to view my shortcomings after my work is done, not before it has even started. I certainly agree with you the Gauls are not a threat to us as of yet, the buffer of the free people keeps them from our doorstep and I agree that we must first deal with these so called, civilized Greeks who bring war to peaceful shores.

Turning to the senators and people of the hall,

On to the matter of Phyrrus I would suggest a quick strike to wipe out him and his army driving the Greek influence and it's forked tongue off of Italy. Then we can begin negotiations with the free people or if need be raise defences against them. With a fast, decisive blow we can narrow our losses and as the Tribune that is all I wish that our we lose as many of our finest as possible. I am no war mongerer but Phyrrus came to us, this is his war senators, but it will be our victory!

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Senators, why should we fight a war, we do not own cannae, or Tarrentium, or any of the other cities to the south, so why must we fight them. They are free to ally with whoever they wish. Are we babies that throw a tantrum because we no longer get our way all the time in lands that are not even ours? Why should Romans ... ROMANS... die for cities we do not rule, and die only for greedy men throwing tantrums?

Romans have already died Statius or are you forgetting that the Tarantines sank our ships when Thurii, an ally, requested our help? They claim we have broken a treaty with them, do you say you agree with them?
    Indeed should we not avenge this injustice, a slight on Roman virtue and honour, for our fleet was sunk by those with which we had no quarrel and the blame placed on us. Imagine if your friends were involved in that surely we will not sit back and accept the insult? For if we let one through another will surely follow. You call us babies! Yet I say we should treat the Greeks like children and give them a slap on the hand and teach them some respect!

What say you conscript fathers?
    Last edited by Crozimodo; November 03, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raglan View Post
    Senators, why should we fight a war, we do not own cannae, or Tarrentium, or any of the other cities to the south, so why must we fight them. They are free to ally with whoever they wish. Are we babies that throw a tantrum because we no longer get our way all the time in lands that are not even ours? Why should Romans ... ROMANS... die for cities we do not rule, and die only for greedy men throwing tantrums?
    Don't be naive, Senator, what do you think Phyrrus's intentions are declaring war on us and aiding the Tarentines? Do you truly think that Phyrrus just came here because he is a noble honorable king staying true to his allies? Of course not! He wants Italy, and Tarentum is just the first step! Before we know, the people of Cannae will find themselves invaded, and then he, strong after his conquests, will come for us!

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Then let us mobalise our legions, but while he stays in the south he does us no harm. Let him conquer Cannae first and exchust his strength on their walls, if he does we will have proof and then act, but let us not waste ROMAN lives attacking a foe that at this time does not consern us.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast