View Poll Results: Is it better to be Feared or Loved?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Loved

117 68.42%
  • Feared

54 31.58%
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is It Better To Be Loved Or Feared?

Sir Winston Churchill's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Is It Better To Be Loved Or Feared?

The famous question has been asked. Do you think it is better to be loved or feared? Why?

In my opinion, I think it is much better to be loved, for a worker works harder out of respect and love of his master, rather than fear of the whip. He is also more loyal.

And in the case that you are killed anyway, at least your people will mourn you instead of throw a brewfest!

Links to any anti-developer or anti-publisher campaigns are not tolerated on these forums. Any such links will be removed and (most probably) the poster of the link banned.... Please be advised that any information uploaded or transmitted by visitors to Sega becomes the property of Sega. Sega reserves the right to... modify... or delete any of this information at any time and for any reason without notice.
    — CA trying to prevent dissent on their forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalminar View Post
    My statements are correct by virtue of me saying them. Additional proof is not required.

CtrlAltDe1337's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Is It Better To Be Loved Or Feared?

Loved. But often, you can get more done when you are feared. Usually not good stuff, though.

Loved. If you are loved, people will follow you to the ends of the earth. If you are feared, they will turn on you the first chance they get. But it is easier to be feared then loved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man
    obviously I'm a large angry black woman and you're a hot blonde!

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

"To what aim?" is the practical question.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Leeham991's Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Depends really.

As a commoner; loved, as a leader; both, as an overlord; feared.
    I like pie.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

Respected, fear creates anger and Love creates jealousy.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Quote Originally Posted by Isaristh View Post
    The famous question has been asked. Do you think it is better to be loved or feared? Why?
    Loved. Fear is fleeting. There are a thousand definitions for love in the world and very few for fear. Love is personal, it's intimate and it grows. Fear is external and fear fades quickly. You can do a lot of things in this world but forcing yourself not to love is the hardest of all. Fear can be conquered in moments.

Mathais's Avatar Ordinarius

To be loved is a wonderful thing for there is a greater loyalty that can be there from it along with peace. Where as for fear can only lead to unrest for they do thing because they must. Yet for with fear it possibly to be over come and then you lose your power over them.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Loved. You can accomplish many good things through love. Look at Gandhi for instance.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Respected, fear creates anger and Love creates jealousy.
    Agree; respect is what a good leader should expect from their followers. However, respect alone would not make you closer to your followers, which cause isolation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Fight!'s Avatar Question Everything.

It depends on one's definition of love, but Gothicus is certainly correct. If respected was an option, I would choose it unhestitatingly. But as it is not, I choose feared. Be loved by all, and the love of those you do not wish to be loved by will be overwhelming. Be feared by all, and the hatred from those you desire love from will also be overwhelming.

But alas the one's yoiu love will be killed in jealousy, whereas the hatred of the masses can be ignored in favor of more materialistic things such games and the like.
    Roll over the names for quotes

Aristotle || Buddha || Musashi

Under the proud patronage of Saint Nicholas
    Proud patron of ★Bandiera Rossa☭

Justice and Mercy's Avatar Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Pnutmaster View Post
    "To what aim?" is the practical question.
    Practical questions aren't going to be answered here.

What, you expected rationality in the philosophy forum?
    The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce; with which last the power of taxation will, for the most part, be connected. The powers reserved to the several States will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State. - James Madison

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

Depends on the situation obviously. If your talking about a personal relationship then loved of course.

If you mean in a leadership role then feared always. If they fear you they will respect you. Fear also doesn't have to mean hatred, you can like and fear your boss or leader.

If a leader or boss is loved, there is no respect because most people will take for granted that persons good nature. People can feel more free to take liberties that they wouldn't from someone that was feared.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Red View Post
    ..If a leader or boss is loved, there is no respect because most people will take for granted that persons good nature. People can feel more free to take liberties that they wouldn't from someone that was feared.
    Are you saying you don't respect those that you love? Do you take advantage of them since you love them?

Quote Originally Posted by Morkonan View Post
    Are you saying you don't respect those that you love? Do you take advantage of them since you love them?
    Yes.

My worst patients are family members.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

Quote Originally Posted by Morkonan View Post
    Well, not quite. I was speaking more in general terms. Of course I respect those I love, but I would be lying if I said I never took any liberties from a boss who was loved. Not that I would plan to disrespect those I love, but more of a subconscious inclination in my actions.

Conversly someone whom sets firm ground rules and punishes accordingly is more apt to garner the respect of others out of fear of getting repremanded. Like I stated earlier as well, just because someone is feared doesn't equal an automatic hatred either. My personallity works best with a person that has a strong force of charachter, rather than an inclusive, affable person willing to be swayed to accomodate the masses.

@Phier- Yes I totaly agree. That why I cringe when a family member wants to hire me for work. Thats part of the love and the taking advantage I was talking about.
    Last edited by Darth Red; November 03, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    Moderator Emeritus

Machiavelli answered this question brilliantly, and I have to say that I agree with him.

If I'm just being me, I want to be loved.

Should I be a leader, then feared. Machiavelli's justification is such that love is better, but love is fleeting, while fear lasts longer, and this is critical for a ruler. Of course, Machiavelli acknowledges that the best would be to have both, but this is extremely difficult to have.

Nevins's Avatar Semper Gumby
    Civitate

This question needs some context. Is it on a personal level? When you are in a leadership position?

I answered feared. Pain is a great motivator.
    Client of the honorable Gertrudius!

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Feared. Thats the way is!

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Red View Post
    ...Conversly someone whom sets firm ground rules and punishes accordingly is more apt to garner the respect of others out of fear of getting repremanded. Like I stated earlier as well, just because someone is feared doesn't equal an automatic hatred either. My personallity works best with a person that has a strong force of charachter, rather than an inclusive, affable person willing to be swayed to accomodate the masses.
    But, isn't it also possible to garner respect in other ways than setting firm ground rules and swift yet just punishment?

I can't think of any people that I respect that I also fear. I can think of many that I may not "love" but, certainly, I think they are probably worth loving by someone else. Yet, I can't think of anyone I actually know that I would fear. Certainly, those who I would fear, whoever they are, I may not have respect for them as well. But, with anyone that I love I find I do have respect for them. I don't see how the two could be easily separated.

Just a question in general - Isn't the word "respect" rife with several different meanings? I think some use it as in a "respect for authority" way. In other words, they "respect" the personal power another may have to influence their lives, possibly even by punishment. That's not the kind of respect I think is being questioned here but, I think it's the kind that some are discussing.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast