Thread: Peloponnes: Total War

Default Peloponnes: Total War

The Peloponnesian War would seem like an appropriate candidate for a future TW, don't you think?

To the Mediterranean culture sphere, it was like an ancient "world war" since, for the first time, all known regional powers where somehow involved in the decade-long struggle between two determined alliances.

My thoughts are: They often test new engine features in a somewhat limited fashion before bringing it on to a whole new level. This will (hopefully) be the case with current E:TW and the upcoming N:TW.

Now, with ship battles included, I could imagine exciting galley battles, trying to ram each other and all that.

On land, we would have mainly static phalanx battles with skirmishers and limited cavalry. We know this from past releases already.

Okay and with this game working, they could move on to the broader scope of the "Roman era" that's being requested so often.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglish View Post
    48) When being a pike man and order to attack, first run at the enemy with your pikes in the air, wait for a few seconds, then get your swords out.

Default Re: Peloponnes: Total War

It would be a rather small theater for the next Tw game

maybe they can do like a Kingdoms thing where they made multiple campaigns with different eras.

I see that it would be a comparably limited setting, with only the Eastern Mediterranean being involved... guess it would be some kind of "back to the roots" approach if you compare it with the classic Shogun: Total War. It was a niche setting as well, but maybe the TW series is already too much mainstream nowadays to honor the old ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglish View Post
    48) When being a pike man and order to attack, first run at the enemy with your pikes in the air, wait for a few seconds, then get your swords out.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

maybe they can do like a Kingdoms thing where they made multiple campaigns with different eras.
    I recall reading long ago the CA had intended releasing RTW with a series of provincial campaigns, traces of which can be found in the code. 'Ceasar in Gaul' and 'Spartacus' were talked about, as well as 'Alexander' (the later expansion). Since then TW games have followed the 'main release' and expansion pack format, I imagine any future major title will follow the same path.

For RTW 2, a nice expansion with provincial campaigns highlighted would be nice, 'Wars of the City States', 'The Punic wars,' 'Caesars’ Campaigns,' a decent 'Alexander.'

CA has always seemed slow to pick up on what the community want though, so don't hold your breath.

Diplomacy would be key... especially if the Persians were involved

Blog Entries

Diplomacy would be key... especially if the Persians were involved
    To quote a Greek fella I know. ''This is 'Total War' no time for chit chat''.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; October 08, 2009 at 12:23 PM.

I suppose you can cup your balls and run screaming at the foe all you want- I'd rather play realistically.

As in: Diplomacy: the otha, otha weapon of mass destruction

Blog Entries

Accept or we attack

Please don't attack.
    Yes, RTW diplomacy, good luck with that.

Quote Originally Posted by LCD Soundsystem View Post
    It would be a rather small theater for the next Tw game
    Any area can be divided into a large map; ancient Greece has the advantage of detailed and well defined territories.

I agree that a TW covering the Peloponnesian war is inevitable, but waiting is unbearable!

grouchy13's Avatar TW Mercenary Veteranii

A Peloponnesian War title would be amazing especially with the advent of naval warfare in ETW as i see it the Peloponnesian war was the biggest ancient naval conflict next to the Punic Wars and could really showcase what the TW game engine can do. I also agree with Halie Saturnus with his war of the city states etc idea. I read somewhere that the NTW title was going to be split between 3 campaigns during Napoleons life with there own capaign maps, my own idea is why not drop the RTW2 title go with a 'ANCIENT TW' premise where the campaigns could cover the conflicts afore mentioned by Halie. what do you guys think?
    Under the Patronage of the Venerable Jom Patron of the one true Shogun wealthmonger, Antipodean son IZob, Terrifying Sultan of the Blitz totalwar_legend & Warden of the Iron Throne Dux