Thread: alter reloading animation

Default alter reloading animation

I know everyone has noticed how when a person fires their weapon in the game they quickly put in the powder and ball then spend ages pushing it down before taking up the gun and firing it within a second.

I know if I had taken that long to reload my weapon I would take more time to steady my hand before shooting... it would be nice if someone altered the animation (not the overall time spent reloading) so that they take more time aiming and more time loading the the powder and ball, even a couple seconds taken away from the endless plunging motion would make for a much more realistic and varied looking Unit as a whole.

Darkhorse's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: alter reloading animation

Ramming down a round wasn't the easiest thing to do. The muskets of that time weren't to accurate either so a greatest emphasis was put on shots per minute than accuracy. Although usually soldiers waited for a command to fire, and obviously some reloaded faster than others, so those would naturally aim.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

does anyone know the amount of time it took for a common soldier to reload in this time period? And how long did it take with an Arquebus?

2 to 3 rounds a minute. IF they were trained. Armies such as the British and Prussian could get 3 to 4 rounds off, as they trained constantly.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

You don't take friggin half a minute to push a lead ball down a barrel
    It takes too long in the game IMO.
    I would make the animation : 3 seconds to put powder in the flint thing, 10-15 seconds pulling ramrod/pushing the ball in/re-inserting the ramrod, 3 seconds aiming, them shoot
    Approximately a 20 second operation, so about 3 shots per minute
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

You have to take into account combat stress, nervousness, reaction times, and the like.

Many a soldier panicked, it was common to either fire the ramrod or to continually load the weapon without firing, soldiers would often find themselves or others ramming 6, 7, 8, 9 shots or more into the barrel without firing.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    You have to take into account combat stress, nervousness, reaction times, and the like.

Many a soldier panicked, it was common to either fire the ramrod or to continually load the weapon without firing, soldiers would often find themselves or others ramming 6, 7, 8, 9 shots or more into the barrel without firing.
    "often" is a bit of an overkill here, yes weve all heard how they found weapons at the end of battles with 6+ rounds loaded into them... however this was still a minority and if these people fired their weapons it would kill them... and of course this relates to how well trained a unit was.

On a side note it would be interesting to include this in a mod, basically apply the same thing that happens to grenadiers and have there be a random chance of someones gun exploding in their face... for flint lock citizenry for example this would happen often enough to notice, while for a highly trained unit it would be fairly rare.

XxGREAT-BRITAINx's Avatar Centenarius
    United Kingdom, Greater Manchester, Stockport, Hazel Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post

lol, So In Other Words When they Did Fire... It Was The First Type Of Shotgun!? lol....

Although, I Think The First Proper "Designed" Specific Shotgun Was The Yankee Civil War Era Winsheter???... Or If Not Then, I Think A Prototype Shotgun Was Invented In The 1720's, I Forget... Maybe It Was Even In The Chinese Discovery Years Of Gunpowder... We'll Never Know! Well We Will, But I've Just Forgot lol...
    Last edited by XxGREAT-BRITAINx; November 04, 2009 at 03:01 AM.