Thread: [ETW AAR] The New Bavaria

Default [ETW AAR] The New Bavaria

Johann walked out of the palace into the bright Summer sunlight. It was a beautiful say in the nation of Bavaria and Johann Hofken had much on his mind. He was thinking about how to get the King to support the financial and military expansion of Bavaria, from an old medieval kingdom into a glorious modern nation the rival of any great power to date. Hofken began his plans in the famous year of 1700 in the city of Münich. Hofken needed the support of his king to push his reforms through. All in the country new that the power did not lie in the hands of Bavaria's king but in her first minister. He wanted change and he wanted it everywhere. The cities were to be upgraded for an increased economic output and he lowered taxes for all so that none would go hungry. The revenue of the state would be small for a while but it would increase as soon as his reforms took hold. Johann ordered the research of the plug bayonet, to gain military superiority through technology rather than numbers. The plug bayonet would enable his men to put a large blade into their muskets effectively turning them into giant pikes. As another change the treasury and army ministers were replaced for more competent and deserving men. The diplomatic situation was good. Austria and Spain had both signed pacts of alliance with Bavaria making her very dangerous. Hofken wanted access to the sea so that Bavaria could trade he also wanted at least one colony in India, perhaps Ceylon? Yes Ceylon. Bavaria would march into the United Provinces and destroy it! They would utilize the shipyards of Holland to build a fleet to take their army to Ceylon! Yes the plan was perfect, though it would require military access from the Rhineland. Johann walked the streets with a new sense of confidence and optimism.

Uhh now a question. I have lots of pics of this that I took with FRAPS but do I have to upload the pics one by one on Imageshack?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

You really spent the time to look at this?

Koelkastmagneet's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: [ETW AAR] The New Bavaria

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Aubrey KB,MP,JP,FRS View Post
    Johann walked out of the palace into the bright Summer sunlight. It was a beautiful say in the nation of Bavaria and Johann Hofken had much on his mind. He was thinking about how to get the King to support the financial and military expansion of Bavaria, from an old medieval kingdom into a glorious modern nation the rival of any great power to date. Hofken began his plans in the famous year of 1700 in the city of Münich. Hofken needed the support of his king to push his reforms through. All in the country new that the power did not lie in the hands of Bavaria's king but in her first minister. He wanted change and he wanted it everywhere. The cities were to be upgraded for an increased economic output and he lowered taxes for all so that none would go hungry. The revenue of the state would be small for a while but it would increase as soon as his reforms took hold. Johann ordered the research of the plug bayonet, to gain military superiority through technology rather than numbers. The plug bayonet would enable his men to put a large blade into their muskets effectively turning them into giant pikes. As another change the treasury and army ministers were replaced for more competent and deserving men. The diplomatic situation was good. Austria and Spain had both signed pacts of alliance with Bavaria making her very dangerous. Hofken wanted access to the sea so that Bavaria could trade he also wanted at least one colony in India, perhaps Ceylon? Yes Ceylon. Bavaria would march into the United Provinces and destroy it! They would utilize the shipyards of Holland to build a fleet to take their army to Ceylon! Yes the plan was perfect, though it would require military access from the Rhineland. Johann walked the streets with a new sense of confidence and optimism.

Uhh now a question. I have lots of pics of this that I took with FRAPS but do I have to upload the pics one by one on Imageshack?
    Yes, as far as I know, you probably have to.

On the story: You could add some more details, I mean, marching into the UP, destroying it and building a fleet, fine, but nobody would in his right mind call such a simply formulated and risky plan brilliant (UP wielded more power and influence then Bavaria those days and had strong allies).
    ☻ This is a random collection of symbols. He's tired of you abusing him.
    /▌\  Don't copy-paste this if you know what's good for you.
    / \

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

What TheUnknownEntity said. Still, it's a good start.

Yeah I haven't marched on the UP yet, I'm kinda goin wherever my brain takes me.

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

I use photobucket which allows you to load bunch of pics at once and works fine.

http://photobucket.com/

It's also free.

Wow thanks! Do I have to download it?

Majonga's Avatar Primicerius

No, just make an account. It's what I have been using to upload pics for the last 5 years i think

With Pictures!-

Johann walked out of the palace into the bright Summer sunlight. It was a beautiful say in the nation of Bavaria and Johann Hofken had much on his mind. He was thinking about how to get the King to support the financial and military expansion of Bavaria, from an old medieval kingdom into a glorious modern nation the rival of any great power to date. Hofken began his plans in the famous year of 1700 in the city of Münich. Hofken needed the support of his king to push his reforms through. All in the country knew that the power did not lie in the hands of Bavaria's king but in her first minister.

He wanted change and he wanted it everywhere. The cities were to be upgraded for an increased economic output and he lowered taxes for all so that none would go hungry. The revenue of the state would be small for a while but it would increase as soon as his reforms took hold. Johann ordered the research of the plug bayonet, to gain military superiority through technology rather than numbers. The plug bayonet would enable his men to put a large blade into their muskets effectively turning them into giant pikes.
    As another change the treasury and army ministers were replaced for more competent and deserving men. The diplomatic situation was good. Austria and Spain had both signed pacts of alliance with Bavaria making her very dangerous.

Hofken wanted access to the sea so that Bavaria could trade he also wanted at least one colony in India, perhaps Ceylon? Yes Ceylon. Bavaria would march into the United Provinces and destroy it! They would utilize the shipyards of Holland to build a fleet to take their army to Ceylon! Yes the plan was perfect, though it would require military access from the Rhineland. Johann walked the streets with a new sense of confidence and optimism.

Last edited by Jack Aubrey KB,MP,JP,FRS; October 31, 2009 at 02:12 PM.

great! I can't wait to see how this goes. That is a challenging start position!!
    --
    [ETW] "The Ottoman Art Of War" (Partial - Premature death)

[ETW] England AAR (Completed)

[MTW2] Scotland AAR (Completed)

Even better than the first time it was posted. Very good start.

A very good start, but a few tips for the next update:

1. This may be a bit hypocritical, but try and make it sound more like a story and less like a description of what you did in-game: "The cities were to be upgraded" could become "Building projects were being started in the cities" and "Johann ordered the research of plug bayonet" could become "Johann made sure that the scientists were putting their efforts into bayonet technology": It's usually longer, but it's what I think would be better to read (if everyone disagrees then don't do it).

2. Don't lower taxes unless you need to, especially at the start when you need all the money you can get to get ahead.

3. Please don't invade the UP!!! Not only am I half Dutch, but think: No-one to have orange on their uniforms. No, invade who you want.
    Is she... you know...
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah Hakeswill View Post
    A very good start, but a few tips for the next update:

1. This may be a bit hypocritical, but try and make it sound more like a story and less like a description of what you did in-game: "The cities were to be upgraded" could become "Building projects were being started in the cities" and "Johann ordered the research of plug bayonet" could become "Johann made sure that the scientists were putting their efforts into bayonet technology": It's usually longer, but it's what I think would be better to read (if everyone disagrees then don't do it).

2. Don't lower taxes unless you need to, especially at the start when you need all the money you can get to get ahead.

3. Please don't invade the UP!!! Not only am I half Dutch, but think: No-one to have orange on their uniforms. No, invade who you want.
    1 & 2 are excellent advice. I'd add one more:

4. Don't report on everything. Play through a couple years and then go back and choose 4-5 important events from those years. If you report on everything, you will get bogged down quickly reporting on every new unit or building you finish, and you will quickly run out of ways to describe it. Usually it is implied that while you are fighting wars you are also dealing with these domestic matters.

So far so good though, keep it up!!
    --
    [ETW] "The Ottoman Art Of War" (Partial - Premature death)

[ETW] England AAR (Completed)

[MTW2] Scotland AAR (Completed)

A Little Intelligence

It was two in the morning. Johann was already pacing the floor of his study. He was often up late at night now. It just seemed impossible to sleep when there was so much to do. Money to find, armies to raise and technology to advance and even more to finance the new royal palace currently building in Munich.

At least those lazy scientists at Coburg had finished the research of his precious plug bayonet.

Now those idle scientists could start to research canister shot making the cannons that were currently just about useless into giant blunderbusses. Johann knew the state needed money and a lot of it. First he decided that taxes for the rich were to be increased by one tier. Then he thought, what makes the Great Powers like Great Britain rich? Trade! That was the answer. So riders were dispatched to the neighboring countries of Saxony, Wurttemburg and Westphalia. Unfortunately Saxony declined our generous offer but Wurttemburg and Westphalia both agreed to the treaty.

Johann needed the money for his new model army which was to raze the Netherlands to the ground.

Suddenly the door burst open and in came the Minister of the Army, Peter Michalka and told Johann, " The mission was successful, our rake has infiltrated the enemy capital we are told that they have 1 generals bodyguard, 2 regiments of pikemen, 2 demi-cannons and 4 regiments of line infantry. "

"Well that's the first piece of good news I've heard in a while. Double recruitment efforts and get an experienced general. Our nation needs this expedition to succeed!", exclaimed Johann. "At once, minister!", Peter replied. "I think we it is best to wait at least a year so that our forces can expand and train but we still need that blasted treaty with Westphalia!', Johann murmured. "But why my lord? Can we not simply overwhelm the Dutch defenses? The treaty is still essential but that is only a matter of time.", Peter screamed. "I tell you this army must be gauranteed success and now we are out-numbered by their forces we shall wait.", Johann growled angrily his temper rising. Peter was no fool and noticed the sudden flush in the first ministers face and replied, "Yes of course my lord excuse me I spoke hastily." As Peter backed out of the room Johann wondered whether in the future it might be necessary to get rid of him.
    Last edited by Jack Aubrey KB,MP,JP,FRS; November 02, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

Liking the updates
    As people have said, keep it more story driven than factual. This makes it sound more plausible
    +Rep
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

even better than the first one, but think of it as more of a story which requires some guidance from your campaign, rather than your campaign written as a story. when I was writing the Orange Occupation, not only did I not even mention my "credit crunch" which nearly destroyed my income, but I also put in a small amount of untrue information to make the truth sound more plausible. a reader doesn't want to know everything your scientists research, or even how Empire: Total War describes such advances. also, try making your next update the actual invasion of the United Provinces: I learned in writing the Orange Occupation that one ought to play a bit before starting the AAR and get a feel for the nation, as well as earning a bit of history (and some interesting units). I want to read about when something is happening (though of course one must do an introduction), not when something is waiting to happen. hope this helps and +rep, because I can't say Orange Occupation got off to a great start.
    Last edited by Obadiah Hakeswill; November 02, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
    Is she... you know...
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Obadiah Hakeswill View Post
    even better than the first one, but think of it as more of a story which requires some guidance from your campaign, rather than your campaign written as a story. when I was writing the Orange Occupation, not only did I not even mention my "credit crunch" which nearly destroyed my income, but I also put in a small amount of untrue information to make the truth sound more plausible. a reader doesn't want to know everything your scientists research, or even how Empire: Total War describes such advances. also, try making your next update the actual invasion of the United Provinces: I learned in writing the Orange Occupation that one ought to play a bit before starting the AAR and get a feel for the nation, as well as earning a bit of history (and some interesting units). I want to read about when something is happening (though of course one must do an introduction), not when something is waiting to happen. hope this helps and +rep, because I can't say Orange Occupation got off to a great start.
    I agree, these would be good things for you to remember while writing this story. Still a very good update all the same.