Thread: Background transparent (GIMP)

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Default Background transparent (GIMP)

Hello,

i want make an avatar with an transparent background. How can i do that? I tried several thins (like backgroundlayer = transparent aso.) but nothing works...

I have an alfa-channel
    I changed the color for the transparency into white
    Its an PNG-file...

What do i wrong?

Thanks for help...

Greetz
    Ice
    Last edited by ♔Icebear77♔; October 29, 2009 at 09:24 AM.

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Default Re: Background transparent (GIMP)

Your'e avatar is transparent? Saving an image without bg as .png Will make it transparent

AlexTheGood's Avatar Domesticus

Hello there,

First of all, go to Image -> Mode and select "RGB Color". Then Unlock your background layer and call it whatever you want.

So if your avatar has a background and you want to remove it then you can make the following ways (with PS):
    1) Use the "Eraser Tool" [It's the 11th of the tools list (when you use CS4)].
    2) Select with "Lasso Tool" or "Magic Wand Tool" the background and then press "Delete" on your keyboard (Must have unlocked the layer first).
    3) Use the "Pen Tool" and click around the part you wan't to keep (let's say if you have a wolf, click several times around the wolf to make the same shape with the lines), then connect the last anchor with the first, and if you did that click Right-Click and "Make selection", click Ok and you will have your shape selected. Go Select -> Inverse, and then you will have selected the outside of the shape you want. So now you can press "Delete" on your keyboard.

No3 is a bit confusing, and the way I explained it is more hard to understand I guess

If you deleted the background, save it as a PNG.

Hope I helped...

Quote Originally Posted by abbews View Post
    Your'e avatar is transparent? Saving an image without bg as .png Will make it transparent
    Sorry i dont understand the part "without bg as png"... what does bg means?

@ Alex
    its not hard to understand because i tried it several time like you wrote and it does not work...

Maybe i havent wrote clear enough what i mean. I want an avantar (polarbear) without any colors around... that it shows only the polarbear with the background from the forum... hope you understand me :-)
    Last edited by ♔Icebear77♔; October 29, 2009 at 09:55 AM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

he means delete the background (bg) to alpha (it will show that grey checkerboard) and then instead of saving it as a jpg save in with the file ending .png

(ie polarbear.png)

in Gimp sometimes you need to turn the alpha on, (if when you delete something and get white instead of the checkerboard) to turn on go to 'layer' 'transparency' and then choose 'add alpha channel'

Quote Originally Posted by Raglan View Post
    he means delete the background (bg) to alpha (it will show that grey checkerboard) and then instead of saving it as a jpg save in with the file ending .png

(ie polarbear.png)

in Gimp sometimes you need to turn the alpha on, (if when you delete something and get white instead of the checkerboard) to turn on go to 'layer' 'transparency' and then choose 'add alpha channel'
    I have to show you a screen, because that the way i do it and it does not work (obviously i make something wrong).

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

yeah thats perfect so far, now just save it as a png like this

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

because your saving as a jpeg (or jpg or something simular) it can't handle transparancy, so it colours the transparent area's white instead
    Last edited by Raglan; October 29, 2009 at 10:57 AM.

Thats the problem. i saved this pic as a png-file, but i have still a white background when i want to use it as my avatar in this forum. I dont get the forum-background...

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

okay i know whats going wrong, when saving it as png it should come up with a box asking if you want to flatten image, or merge visiable layers.

you need to choose merge visiable layers else it will replace the transparancy with white

Thanks Raglan, i will test it. I realy hops this will fix my problem because its one of the things that never worked... +Rep

It works it works... you are my hero Raglan :-))
    Last edited by ♔Icebear77♔; October 29, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Can this be also a browser problem? At home with the latest Firefox it works fine, and here at work with IE6 it doesnt...

@Raglan, could not Rep you because of a technical issue... it doesnt allows me to rep you... sad thing...
    Last edited by ♔Icebear77♔; October 30, 2009 at 03:49 AM.

Hahaha IE6 cant show transparent backgrounds... what a