Thread: Convince me

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Convince me

I have hear alot about this mod, but at the same time nothing substansial. What really is so special about it that other mods lack?

Mon ami... ^_~ regards

BL-W
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Atatürk's Avatar Türküm. Doğruyum...

Default Re: Convince me

I feel your pain.

Well its hard without going over the top and its time-period is unique. The units look great but it has a good depth to it that some mods lack; its not just about pretty units but it has something more. If you play a campaing right then it will be extremely fun if you play it wrong it will be hard and fun!
    The building tree seems complete and the map is very big.

Although one bad thing is that the Barbarian factions are not unique, theyhave some different units but a lot are similar.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

There is something about the late period that I have always found attractive. I think it relates possibly to the cycle of empires and which particular phase one likes. Some people like to conquor and expand while others like to defend and rescue from the abyss. I am of the latter variety. There is a sort of maturity about an empire that has reached a point of where it has become the hunted, so to speak, where defence of the realm is absolute. I think this says something about the tragic, the heroic figure who may ultimately fail but tries nonetheless. Reminds me of what Albert Camus once said (french existential writer) that the hero is one, who in the face of oblivion, tries anyway. I suppose that is why I am attracted to figures like Julian, Aetius and Belisarius who seemed to fight against the odds.

So this period offers this, not to mention the great social changes from late antiquity to medievil involving religious upheavels etc.
    Last edited by julianus heraclius; October 28, 2009 at 08:19 PM.

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

How you can you not resist the faded glory of a empire sliding into oblivion yet which still produced men like Julian and Belisarius? Not to mention all those nameless soldiers who stood and fought on the frontiers and have vanished like dust . . . ? This mod puts you into a struggle to survive with the remnants of the legions against the barbarians who carved out kingdoms from the dying hulk of the empire.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Reasoning is obsolet, guess I have to find me another HD then . I feel like people are in a euphoria of wild extecy when they talk about this mod. Good.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.

This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackleaf-Wille View Post
    Reasoning is obsolet, guess I have to find me another HD then . I feel like people are in a euphoria of wild extecy when they talk about this mod. Good.
    Hi Blackleaf-Wille
    First of all you need an interest in the era the mod represents...and if you do, secondly you should read up on the mod and do a little research yourself. Then if still interested in the mod, I think it then appropriate to ask others what they may think of the mod, its good and bad points etc...I must say I find it quite lazy for someone to totally rely on another's judgment.
    Last edited by Riothamus; November 05, 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Thanks for the reply, I will let it shine into my soul...

It's not lazyness Mr. Rio, it's about money. You see - I got 20kb left space on the PC, so a new HD is needed. Then, I wanted to hear what specifically stands out from other mods, not if there are some functionson the paper( which I don't know how operates in the cognitive game). So far, most of what I have heard here and else, is not consist, but:
    "`...the faded glory of a empire sliding into oblivion yet which still produced men like Julian and Belisarius...´. As that is what 'every one' says.

But in the end, I find that quit amusing, since it sound like me describing my favourite mod lol

-Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, I will let it shine into my soul...

It's not lazyness Mr. Rio, it's about money. You see - I got 20kb left space on the PC, so a new HD is needed. Then, I wanted to hear what specifically stands out from other mods, not if there are some functionson the paper( which I don't know how operates in the cognitive game). So far, most of what I have heard here and else, is not consist, but:
    "`...the faded glory of a empire sliding into oblivion yet which still produced men like Julian and Belisarius...´. As that is what 'every one' says.

But in the end, I find that quit amusing, since it sound like me describing my favourite mod lol

-Cheers.
    Ok, understood MR Blackleaf-Willie

Maybe try and be more specific..ask how are the in game battles? Hows the map? are there ctds? Does it historically represent the era correctly? I think you will get more informative replies for what your looking for. The replies are from people who have a genuine interest in this time thus the euphoria you might feel in their responses..It is what many of us see that differs or stands from other mods.
    Last edited by Riothamus; November 05, 2009 at 11:45 AM.

i am possibly not addressing your point here mate, but as emperors of a fading empire goes i cast my fanboyism vote with Magnus Maximus/Macsen Wledig.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Actually as good as you paint it I find it that the only decent to play faction is WRE. I was really disappointed to see the 'barbarian' factions with only a handfull of units, it killed it for me.

I would just like to say something in response to Rio's earlier comment that you need to have an interest in the late-period era to really enjoy this mod.

For me, I had always had little interest in anything regarding the Romans after the Five Good Emperors, and no interest at all in anything that happened after Constantine. However, on a whim I decided to try Invasio Barbarorum I (for R:TW), and it really sparked an interest in me. I started reading about late-period Romans, learning more about them, appreciating their military for what it was rather than considering them third-rate legionaires like I had in the past. Now my knowledge of the late period rivals my (extensive) knowledge of the early empire, and the republic. So in that sense, I've gotten even more out of this mod than most of you guys probably have and speaks even more highly of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Revan The Great View Post
    I would just like to say something in response to Rio's earlier comment that you need to have an interest in the late-period era to really enjoy this mod.

For me, I had always had little interest in anything regarding the Romans after the Five Good Emperors, and no interest at all in anything that happened after Constantine. However, on a whim I decided to try Invasio Barbarorum I (for R:TW), and it really sparked an interest in me. I started reading about late-period Romans, learning more about them, appreciating their military for what it was rather than considering them third-rate legionaires like I had in the past. Now my knowledge of the late period rivals my (extensive) knowledge of the early empire, and the republic. So in that sense, I've gotten even more out of this mod than most of you guys probably have and speaks even more highly of it.

Still the only 'real' faction on this mod is the romans, so unless you're planning to fight roman revels( ), I'd recommend other mods with more equally developed factions

Quote Originally Posted by Galandor View Post
    Still the only 'real' faction on this mod is the romans, so unless you're planning to fight roman revels( ), I'd recommend other mods with more equally developed factions
    Are you playing with the Patch1.0 Galandor? Many more units were added such as the Saio and Buccelarius and powerful Roman type mercenaries for the Barbarians. There are much more than a handful of units to select from.

Highland Kelt's Avatar Libertus

So is this Mod basically Rome : TW Barbarian Invasion with the M2TW engine and graphics?
    ...This is my Island...

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

It is my favorite time period as well that’s why I prefer Barbarian Invasion to Vanilla Rome Total War however my interest lies in the online multiplayer aspect of the game.

At the expense of sounding odd, is this mod only for campaigns?

I am only seeing post by people who play them that’s why I am asking.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

One can play custom battles, for multiplayer too I guess (I don't play online). IB2 battle AI is my favourite, actually, even with all those javeline units.