Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Feedback & Suggestions Thread

Default Re: Feedback & Suggestions Thread

I have noticed with TAR that when an enemy moves into a landmark in a territory it no longer smokes, unlike vanilla etw which it did smoke whenever an enemy touches it.

I've only played the 1775 Campaign , and my first impressions are that it's too easy to win as the British. I second the motions that either America starts with more states, or that the "Thirteen Colonies" remain as a computer controlled faction that is strongly sympathetic to the Americans).Perhaps give New York to the British, with Boston under American control, and the rest of the Thirteen Colonies as themselves but as a protectorate under the Americans. As an objective, if the Americans can capture New York, the Thirteen Colonies will join them.

The Americans might also receive generous donations from Spain and France to represent their contribution before officially joining the war.

To balance this, perhaps the British could start with an army aboard a fleet to represent reinforcements arriving from Europe (I don't know if it's possible to script this fleet to arrive in 1776).

I also second that TAR specific unique regiments should have a cap.

Also, have you considered re-adding the Europe theatre? I know the focus is on North America, but having Europe would allow the United Provinces and France to have more of an impact. There would also be a threat to the England directly from France to make things more interesting. I like the idea of having to send reinforcements from Britain to America, while at the same time trying to avoid invasion from France, and dodging French and Dutch fleets. It would also provide a nice segue into a post-1783 campaign. I don't mean for you to get rid of the 1783 Campaign option, I mean to just give more scope to the 1775.

I haven't played far enough to find out for myself, but does America get access to unique 44 and 38 gun heavy frigates at a later date, perhaps in the 1783 campaign? If they aren't already added as additional units, I'd love to see them. I've always wanted to test the British Navy against the fledgling US fleet in the War of 1812.

One more thing, perhaps the campaign map music could be a touch louder. I notice you've got unique music for every faction (excellent!) so perhaps this only affects the British. The music itself is excellent by the way, although the Master and Commander soundtrack would perhaps be better suited to sea battles On the subject of music, the Colonization IV soundtrack is full of suitable songs, military (some very nice fife and drum) and otherwise. If it hasn't already been raided for this mod, I strongly recommend it for future updates (I have all the tracks if you need them).

This was my first taste of TAR today, and I must heartily congratulate Toon and Co for their efforts! I'm very impressed with the work so far, and this is by far my most favourite mod. I can't wait for 2.0

EDIT: The individual unit music in battles is far too loud. It should be quite faint when fully zoomed out, and then have decent (but not ear shattering) volume when you zoom right in on a regiment.
    Last edited by Severino; April 05, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Hi, first of all i whant to say that this rocks
    Have you planned to add annything equipment-related? I would like to se a new crossstrap modell for the lineinfantry, and perhaps even grenadiers, that look similar to what the units wheared during the late 18th century, bags that are attached to the straps would also be cool.

Furthermore, new hats would me nice but that's probably takes alot of time, if even possible.

Iv'e got a picture here to show you what i'm talking about.

Cheers!

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Sorry for the dubblepost.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ACMilan88 View Post
    Hi, first of all i whant to say that this rocks
    Have you planned to add annything equipment-related? I would like to se a new crossstrap modell for the lineinfantry, and perhaps even grenadiers, that look similar to what the units wheared during the late 18th century, bags that are attached to the straps would also be cool.

Furthermore, new hats would me nice but that's probably takes alot of time, if even possible.

Iv'e got a picture here to show you what i'm talking about.

Cheers!
    Cross straps mod is already incorporated, so all units have these in game!
    We do not have the modding tools to make extra bags, so thats out of question and myself and team are not Mesh orientated modders which would consist of this work to make new hats etc..sorry

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Toon the new BAI Beta is really good in fact fantastic even in custom battles and the great thing is it has the vanilla musket ranges. I’m looking forward to TAR 2 and now that the BAI is sorted it would be really great to have more maps for custom battles. There are loads of maps out there for Empire and some are really nice like the river valley one the lordz had a large map pack and many of us used it. The sad thing is none of them were ever updated to work with the new patches.
    Just an idea Toon would it be possible to get permission to use these maps with Tar 2 ? or even as an optional booster pack. At the moment they are all going to waste and it’s a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    Toon the new BAI Beta is really good in fact fantastic even in custom battles and the great thing is it has the vanilla musket ranges. I’m looking forward to TAR 2 and now that the BAI is sorted it would be really great to have more maps for custom battles. There are loads of maps out there for Empire and some are really nice like the river valley one the lordz had a large map pack and many of us used it. The sad thing is none of them were ever updated to work with the new patches.
    Just an idea Toon would it be possible to get permission to use these maps with Tar 2 ? or even as an optional booster pack. At the moment they are all going to waste and it’s a real shame.
    I contacted the "Lordz" team some time ago and my suggestions fell on deaf ears mate??? so nowt else I can do

bwc153's Avatar Miles

Great mod thus far... however, the only thing that bugs me (this is more of a vanilla problem, but IMO should be fixed) is that as the US faction upon liberating a city from the British, you get the full blast of -12 happyness due to foreign invaders liberating them from their oppressive government.... Is it possible to make the territories either have alleigances with the US at start of the game (as in they consider the US as their home country, and the British as invaders who are occupying them), or to just scrap the entire foreign invaders thing all together?

Or, one could just change the british leaders with some government members that have - happyness traits, so rebels appear in their territories a lot, making part of their army tied down.
    As the main reasons i want this change is because it is realistic, and because i don't like this happening...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by bwc153; April 23, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

Hey again, now I'm in this thread too!

My suggestion is related to unique units and, if you plan to impose a cap on them. As I understand it the British army system from the late 1700s and early 1800s (perhaps beyond as well) broke down a regiment into two or three battalions, occasionally there would a one battalion regiment. Each battalion could be stationed in different locations but in the case of a two battalion regiment one would typically be deployed while the other would remain in England performing recruiting and training, then they would switch or send replacements to the first battalion overseas. In the case of a three battalion regiment two could be deployed while the third performed training and recruiting. My suggestion would therefor be that you set the limits for each unique regiment of foot (line infantry) at two or three and allow the player to change the numerical designation to represent which battalion was which. This is something I some times do on my own, and more so with your fine mod because of the limitless amounts of uniquely named units you have (and because its my own private from of OCD), its a self imposed limitation on special units which has worked out fairly well for me so far.

The American units on the other hand might not be represented as cleanly as the Brits. I say this without actually knowing, but a limit of only one per unique named regiment for American units MIGHT be more historically accurate as the Americans would have been too busy trying to keep the ranks full to bother with a training battalion and once a unit was near its set standard of men it would be sent to the front lines. Again, I don't know if that is historical or not but its just an idea.

The unit limits I'm suggesting for the Brits would probably be more for the Grand Campaign, with the Revolution campaign still having a one per name limit (seeing as they would probably not deploy both battalions to the same war). For the post-war Americans, I could see the same application of limits, perhaps after the war they can start to train more battalions of the same regiment thus opening up a 2 or 3 unit limit to named units.

Also for clarity's sake, the break down of a regiment by size (from largest to smallest) should look something like this:

Regiment (1 to 3 battalions)
    Battalion (for this period probably around 10 companies, for Brits one company would be designated the Light Company and another the Grenadier Company)
    Company (consisting of a number of Platoons, not sure the historical number)
    Platoon (consisting of a number of Squads, also not sure how many)

The Regiment would obviously be the largest unit and be comprised of all the other units combined. I only bring this up because I have noticed some units in the game labled as Battalion and others a Regiment and in your page that shows off all the unit models you even had one listed as a "Regiment Battalion Company" My humble opinion is that if it is the size of a regular unit of Line Infantry or close to it; call it a Regiment or Battalion. If you wanted to show off a specific Company of a particular Battalion of a particular Regiment, use something smaller like the Grenadiers or Light Company.

Hope this is helpful and not distracting, I wouldn't want slow down the release of 2.0!

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

Thanks for your inputs SCCO Jake and welcome to the TAR forums !

I was surprised and disappointed to find grenadier units throwing grenades. I know DMUC has an option to turn off grenades -- it it possible this could be turned off in TAR 2.0? Grenadiers gave up actual grenades many decades before the AWI -- and they're far too lethal anyway in ETW. Big immersion-killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Flavious View Post
    I was surprised and disappointed to find grenadier units throwing grenades. I know DMUC has an option to turn off grenades -- it it possible this could be turned off in TAR 2.0? Grenadiers gave up actual grenades many decades before the AWI -- and they're far too lethal anyway in ETW. Big immersion-killer!
    Grenades will be disabled in TAR 2.0.
    If you really want to disable the Grenades, you can do this:

1. open the TAR_Units.pack with PFM
    2. go to units_stat_land
    3. Change "True" to "False" in row Can Throw Grenades
    4. Save

Thats it!! no more pesky grenades in game!
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; August 17, 2010 at 05:53 AM.

politiko's Avatar Foederatus

Quick comment/question guys: Have you done anything to the CAI, specifically the AI diplomacy? I'm just been starting to play Empire again recently, so I'm not sure if this is a vanilla issue or not, but in 1781 the entire world declared war on me.

I'd been holding down the British (finally) along the river west of Boston, while sending Nathanael Greene and his boys up, through Maine and besieging New Brunswick. I'd secured trade with both France and Spain, and had been nominally "at war" (for no reason) with United Provinces. Then, as I finally had my footing in 1781, France and Spain severed trade and declared war. This wouldn't have been crippling, except that they'd both managed to put a full stack apiece on their ships and were (awesomely) only a turn or so from landing in Massachusetts.

So, my question is: is this to be expected? Is this vanilla CAI? If so, any recommendations on a mod which will run in tandem with TAR, but will make the computer at least PRETEND to have an intelligible, logical strategy? Or am I missing the sheer brilliance of a double invasion on a trading partner who poses no threat (and isn't even aligned with their enemies)?

Unfortunately this is a CA development,But for TAR II,CAI changes done by Darth(DarthMod) have been implemented ,as well as more refined CAI changes !

politiko's Avatar Foederatus

Fantastic news (even though I'm one of the few people who haven't played DarthMod)... Thanks.

lol,well thats quite allright mate(and they wont like that im saying this)but when TAR II is released,you wont need DMUC anymore;TAR II will have it all!

If you like naval battles, though, you may want to keep DMUC around for those.
    Or is TAR 2.0 going to have all the latest Darthmod naval enhancements, too?

mmm..,Good point and a Good question!

I really dont know mate,asToon and I are both not really into Naval Battles ive never asked and cannot find anything on the added features list,but im sure Toon will anwser here soon !

Greetings !

Whatever Darth AI has this mod will have

A few requests for TAR 2 I feel the following is much needed. The battles are over way too fast so please reduce the musket accuracy because the kill rate is too much. Muskets in the 18th Century were very inaccurate. This may help.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=349913
    Some units currently seem to have loads of ammo and others very little. Please remove all fire by rank ability it was not used in the American Revolution.

Good luck and I look forward to the release
    Last edited by Dartanianx; October 14, 2010 at 07:44 AM.