Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: Feedback & Suggestions Thread

thunec's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Feedback & Suggestions Thread

let me first say this mod is wonderful. i can see you've put a lot of work into it and not only is it beautiful, playable, and thorough, it's also user friendly with all the beforehand info and installers. one quick suggestion. i thought it was strange in the american grand campaign of 1775 that the (can't remember if it was a rake, gentleman, or army) saying something like "for the king" or "for the crown". small i know but it seemed strange coming from an american to say they were doing what they were doing for the monarchy. yep that's all. again congrats +rep

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by thunec View Post
    let me first say this mod is wonderful. i can see you've put a lot of work into it and not only is it beautiful, playable, and thorough, it's also user friendly with all the beforehand info and installers. one quick suggestion. i thought it was strange in the american grand campaign of 1775 that the (can't remember if it was a rake, gentleman, or army) saying something like "for the king" or "for the crown". small i know but it seemed strange coming from an american to say they were doing what they were doing for the monarchy. yep that's all. again congrats +rep

hmmm, the trick parts are finding the file to replace and finding (or creating) a file to replace it with but that might be do-able, maybe

hip63

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    I have requested before Lordz to do me some Battle Maps for AWI mod, fell on deaf ears am afraid!!
    New maps would be great if we could get someone to make them Toon but what about just adding this 21 map pack

http://www.thelordz.org/mods.html

Heres some more
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288813
    An idea would be to have an optional add on map pack. I for one like to set up custom battles and the more maps the better.
    Last edited by nigelnire; December 08, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    New maps would be great if we could get someone to make them Toon but what about just adding this 21 map pack

http://www.thelordz.org/mods.html

Heres some more
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=288813
    An idea would be to have an optional add on map pack. I for one like to set up custom battles and the more maps the better.
    I have tried maps before but without the proper modding tools that CA are reluctant to give, this is an impossible task to do

carricanta's Avatar Going Nowhere Fast!

Pre Napoleonic is on the next agenda -French-Indian war
    Waiting for orders, sir!

I have tried maps before but without the proper modding tools that CA are reluctant to give, this is an impossible task to do
    I know Toon I didn’t mean for you to make them Mate. God you’ve done enough. Was just suggesting you add the maps that are already created out there as an add on for the mod. Some of those maps are very good.

Newman55f9's Avatar Libertus

Hello Toon and all,

Actually fog of war is very appropriate for the American Revolution. It played a major role in a number of campaigns. Just a few examples:

1. Howe's successful attacks on New York and the Battle of the Brandywine;
    2. Washington's successful attacks on Trenton and Princeton;
    3. George Rogers Clark's successful assault on Vincennes;
    4. The defeat of the third prong of Burgoyne's expedition (St. Leger) after his Indians were convinced by Arnold's spy that an overwhelming American task force was arriving at any moment and they deserted in mass.

These are just a few examples that leap to mind without even thinking of it. If there had been no fog of war Washingon probably wouldn't have made it to the end of 1776. Is there any particular reason for removing the fog of war?

Also, please consider making a general campaign that includes all the vanilla factions and a start point of 1700. These units are just too great to be kept only to the historical time period of the American Revolution. This is alternate history afterall.

Very Interesting Brigadier you seem to be onto something there old bean. The BAi is seriously bad and CA seems to be going to leave it as it is. I’d certainly be for ditching the skirmish mode from all the units if it meant the enemy would stand and fight.
    I was playing a large scale battle with TAR last night and the enemy kept walking into each other’s ranks until they walked into melee with my line. The BAI is much better with the improvements included in TAR but there is still a lot of melee and many times its weak units like Militia charging Grenadiers.
    The thing that makes me mad is that the 1.3 patch wasn’t that bad and the BAi has went downhill since. Any views on this Toon and the possibility of removing the skirmish ability from the units.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    Very Interesting Brigadier you seem to be onto something there old bean. The BAi is seriously bad and CA seems to be going to leave it as it is. I’d certainly be for ditching the skirmish mode from all the units if it meant the enemy would stand and fight.
    I was playing a large scale battle with TAR last night and the enemy kept walking into each other’s ranks until they walked into melee with my line. The BAI is much better with the improvements included in TAR but there is still a lot of melee and many times its weak units like Militia charging Grenadiers.
    The thing that makes me mad is that the 1.3 patch wasn’t that bad and the BAi has went downhill since. Any views on this Toon and the possibility of removing the skirmish ability from the units.
    I have not played the game enough to comment on the BAI but my last Campaign and Custom battle games all were working fine with the latest BAI in the TAR Mod, so for now i will just wait and see how things progress with my gameplay.
    I am sure things will change as a lot of members are saying that the BAI from CA is crap, so it will only be time before i see 100 Light Infantry charge 1000 Grenadiers in game!!! nice one CA
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; December 11, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

Newman55f9's Avatar Libertus

I tried a custom battle with large rather than ultra size units with lights at someone's suggestion and it did improve the BAI, but not as much as I recall under 1.3. The theory was the larger units keep stumbling into each other like dominos, leading to a staggering to the front effect.

Your theory seems sound Brigadier, you would think the BAI would be programmed to use cavalry or other lights as well as infantry charges to counter lights, but then again their BAI lead programmer allegedly quit midstream!

hip63's Avatar Give me some BASS!
    Patrician Artifex

He probably quit because Mike Simpson is such a whiner, LOL

hip63

Hello to all of you, God’s maker of such a mod. For some time now I think about giving a try to this mod and now that I have manage to buy window seven and reinstall all my game including Empire Total War, I was thinking seriously about that. I know, my life doesn’t make your day, you don’t care about it and I understand that without any problem. But I want to ask you something, I’ll play this game when all file finish downloading and meanwhile I’ve read all I can about this mod. This look great and I anticipate great things from that. I was wondering if the AI is affect by this mod, well did you try to improve this from vanilla or the mod not focus on that? I didn’t read anything about that, maybe my research on the forum was not fruitfully.
    I have a suggestion about a emergent faction that play a little role in the North America history but still have been always present: “Province of Quebec”. In vanilla this faction is a emergent one with some French rooster. I wonder if any of you have ever think about making this faction playable. I know there is a “startpos” mod that can add this emergent faction but not for this mod. In a America Revolution mod, playing this faction should be great. I’m from Quebec and playing this faction to conquering the world, or allying with American to kill some British and French invader could make my day and maybe all of my holyday time! Well this is only a suggestion. I don’t do lot of suggestion on this forum, because I am primly “French Canadien”, my English is not too good but this mod give my great Total War fan’s hope.
    I thank you all for this America focus mod, I’ll test the (I remember playing toon total war mod (for the Amerindian feature, was great) mod and give you feedback. (Normaly I play A proper empire terra incognita with the great Swiss hallbardier Additional unit mod,) And to give other try to a other mode means that you have done a great promotion job for your mod! Well thanks to all Modder for the job they make, without it I know lot of player being bored of the Empire Total War vanilla style.

Source: Wikipedia (just a quick search)
    Quebec during the American Revolutionary War
    On June 27, 1775, General George Washington decided to attempt an invasion of Canada by the American Continental Army to wrest Quebec and the St. Lawrence River from the British. A force led by Brigadier General Richard Montgomery headed north from Fort Ticonderoga along Lake Champlain and up the St. Lawrence River valley. Meanwhile, Colonel Benedict Arnold persuaded Washington to have him lead a separate expedition through the Maine wilderness. The two forces joined at Quebec City, but were defeated at the Battle of Quebec in December 1775. Prior to this battle Montgomery (killed in the battle) had met with some early successes but the invasion failed when British reinforcements came down the St. Lawrence in May 1776 and the Battle of Trois-Rivičres turned into a disaster for the Americans. The army withdrew back to Ticonderoga.
    Although some help was given to the Americans by the locals, Governor Carleton punished American sympathizers and public support of the American cause came to an end.
    The American Revolutionary War was ultimately successful in winning independence for the Thirteen Colonies. In the Treaty of Paris (1783), the British ceded their territory south of the Great Lakes to the newly formed United States of America.
    At the end of the war, 50,000 British Loyalists from America came to Canada and settled amongst a population of 90,000 French people. Many of the loyalist refugees settled into the Eastern Townships of Quebec, in the area of Sherbrooke, Drummondville and Lennoxville.
    Last edited by Gadadngor; December 12, 2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Information about Quebec in the American revolution war.
    “Be aware that if you play this mod, you’ll be addict. Try it at your own risk!”

This is a BIG request. The new Ornamentum 1.3 pack is out and its cool I mean it rocks. Would you guys please include it in the TAR booster pack? Perhaps you could do a little self installer thing to put it into the existing pack as some of us aren’t that good at installing these things. It would be much appreciated
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dartanianx View Post
    This is a BIG request. The new Ornamentum 1.3 pack is out and its cool I mean it rocks. Would you guys please include it in the TAR booster pack? Perhaps you could do a little self installer thing to put it into the existing pack as some of us aren’t that good at installing these things. It would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Yes it will be in TAR 2.0, for now you can use by placing the mod in TAR Script files

I don't know how feasible this is, but I figure it would be cool if implemented:

During the Revolutionary War, firing would generally, and ideally, be implemented in mass volleys, with all the muskets in a detachment being loosed at once. British doctrine dictated against being bogged into firefights, and preffered forcing a quick conclusion by having the men fire one quick volley at a devastatingly close range and then close with the bayonet. Continentals generally weren't trained well enough or disciplined enough for anything else. They would not "fire by rank", and platoon fire was rarely used. In the game, Minutemen (and light infantrymen if I recall correctly)utilize this means of firing a volley. They all discharge their firelocks at once, rather than having only the front rank fire, or firing by rank, or platoon. Is it practicable to implement that drill into the line infantry types? If not everyone would want to use this, would it be possible to make it an option?

Quote Originally Posted by 43rdFoot View Post
    I don't know how feasible this is, but I figure it would be cool if implemented:

During the Revolutionary War, firing would generally, and ideally, be implemented in mass volleys, with all the muskets in a detachment being loosed at once. British doctrine dictated against being bogged into firefights, and preffered forcing a quick conclusion by having the men fire one quick volley at a devastatingly close range and then close with the bayonet. Continentals generally weren't trained well enough or disciplined enough for anything else. They would not "fire by rank", and platoon fire was rarely used. In the game, Minutemen (and light infantrymen if I recall correctly)utilize this means of firing a volley. They all discharge their firelocks at once, rather than having only the front rank fire, or firing by rank, or platoon. Is it practicable to implement that drill into the line infantry types? If not everyone would want to use this, would it be possible to make it an option?
    The next Version of TAR 2.0 has all the platoon fire abilities and fire and advanced options removed, so this may give you something closer to the real thing

The next Version of TAR 2.0 has all the platoon fire abilities and fire and advanced options removed, so this may give you something closer to the real thing

Maybe, but it still means the infantry will only have the front rank fire, or fire by rank. The Minutemen will remain the only "line" style unit that uses mass fire.

Quote Originally Posted by 43rdFoot View Post
    Maybe, but it still means the infantry will only have the front rank fire, or fire by rank. The Minutemen will remain the only "line" style unit that uses mass fire.
    Rank fire remains, but we had to remove the other abilities as it messes with the BAI mod

Wonderful mod. Thanks for the terrific work !

Only dissapointment is that, playing as the USA player it just seems impossible to do anything against the British who start off with such overwhelming amount of forces and money.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a technique to make the other colonies revolt against the British?

I am using the 8.1 update and playing the 1775 Campaign.

Lycodelphos's Avatar Tiro

Thanks for this wonderful mod! It's the logical successor to RTI. The research into the unit rosters is beyond excellent! I'm looking forward to 2.0 with the larger unit size capabilities.

I have two suggestions:

1. For the 1775 campaign I would like to see the U.S. start with New York and Pennsylvania added to their territory. (Philadelphia should be the designated Capital - historically correct being the seat of the Continental Congress.) New England, New York and Pennsylvania were the core colonies of the early revolution. You could even argue for Maryland and Virginia, though in 1775 they were not as important except in provided logistical support. (The Carolinas did not become a factor until later in the war.)

2. Consider limiting the number of recruitable units for the new faction specific TAR units similar to the way other specialized are limited by ETW and DMUC, etc. (You may already be planning this for the 2.0 release but I encourage you to implement this suggestion, otherwise players could be tempted to load up on "stronger" units in an unhistorical, lopsided fashion. Obviously an army of Spanish Marines did not win the revolution under General Washington! )
    Proud Contributor of: "AGON: REBIRTH OF THE HELLENES" & "Patria Libera"
    "There's such divinity doth hedge a king,
    That treason can but peep to what it would,..."