Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: TESV Possibly Set 200 Years After Oblivion

Default TESV Possibly Set 200 Years After Oblivion

A blurb for The Infernal City: An Elder Scrolls Novel on Waterstones.com (it has now been changed) has possibly confirmed that ‘The Elder Scrolls V’ is in the making. It says:

«A novel that takes places forty-five years after the Oblivion Crisis, which is the story of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion game and the expansion pack Shivering Isles. It partly bridges the gap for the next game, which is set 200 years after the Oblivion crisis.»
    More here.

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: TESV Possibly Set 200 Years After Oblivion

I'd bow to Bethesda if they had the balls to make it a steam punk game, since it's set 200 years after. But unfortunately people in fantasy rarely have any urge to improve themselves and technical innovations don't happen.

(They would probably bork it if they did this, so no biggy. Still, VATS in a steam punk game could be cool. Fire your pistol at the enemies face draw your sword and thrust it through his stomach)

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

OccamR's Avatar Centenarius

I doubt it'll change all that much. From my reckoning, if they haven't introduced new technological elements in the last couple games, they won't in the new one.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    I'd bow to Bethesda if they had the balls to make it a steam punk game, since it's set 200 years after. But unfortunately people in fantasy rarely have any urge to improve themselves and technical innovations don't happen.
    In Vivec's name I hope not!

It's this type of, no disrespect, crazy thinking that (bleep)s up games now. Sometimes there's no reason to go in a completely new direction. Just improve on what works.

Instead of wasting resources for better graphics and new "features" game developers should spend the resources on improving game AI...

Maybe some of those idiots in Cyrodiil wouldn't be walking around unarmed...

(They would probably bork it if they did this, so no biggy. Still, VATS in a steam punk game could be cool. Fire your pistol at the enemies face draw your sword and thrust it through his stomach)
    On a different point: what exactly is so appealing about this?

My buddy played Oblivion sorta like this: beat a NPC nearly to death with a weapon only to kill him with a magic death touch...

I mean providing that a "head shot" doesn't instantly kill your opponent...why stab them with a sword?

I'm just trying to understand overkilling enemies...If your sword breaks I can understand resorting to magic...but to attack the average enemy with multiple types of weapons just seems excessive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    "whatchutalkinboutwillis!?"

Whos Willis?

I know, game developers suck at improving themselves. Oblivion was a decent RPG, but I always thought that the world was bland and boring, the lore wasn't that interesting, the world was just stupid(People in Bruma complaining about a harsh climate and I stand there thinking "Why not move 100 metres to the south, there's eternal summer over there"), the magic was boring(not any more advanced than Heretic back in the day), arrows shot from bows glided through the air, stabbing someone in their sleep didn't kill them(unless you played on a really easy difficulty), really small cities, etc. That being said, it was still better than Fallout 3, which was also fairly decent. And taking the gun system from there shouldn't be too hard. Changing the world could make it more interesting instead of seeing the same generic medieval world. I'm talking about having really early steam tech, and some crude gunpowder weapons. This would make the world a lot more interesting to explore, especially since steam punk games are practically non-existant and they'd fill out a nice niche(pun!!11) which could be a good marketing tool in general. And story wise it could get more interesting considering you could have old knightly orders that are quickly losing their status, and political intrigue due to more venomous characters wanting more power(since the king died) and the council rules.

And yes, my example would be overkill. A more suitable example would be to fight two opponents fighting against one of them with a sword and when the other one moves towards you you draw your pistol(before it you obviously stun the first guy temporarily) and shoot him in the face and continue fighting with the first guy. (dual-wielding a rapier and a pistol)
    "I mean providing that a "head shot" doesn't instantly kill your opponent...why stab them with a sword?" Because reloading your pistol takes forever? I'm talking about pistols like this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'd love it, but I doubt they have the balls.

Also, 200 years later than oblivion and not noticing any difference in the environment wouldn't be too immersive. I'll still play it most likely of course
    Last edited by Lord of Lost Socks; October 27, 2009 at 09:28 AM.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

No damn guns and swords. Either one or the other but any game I've played that missed them I've pretty much hated. And seeing as this is Elder Scrolls I'd much prefer to stick with the swords.

Well, I atleast enjoyed Thief, for example. WoW is steam punk and the warcraft world in general. Arcanum is much loved by many. Some of the Final Fantasy games are also steampunk. Magic and technology can coexist. Am I the only one bored of medieval fantasy games? Or Sci-fi(this includes Fallout)? :/

Anyway. I'm sure they'll make a decent game no matter what direction they choose to go.

I don't like steam punk at all.

I know, game developers suck at improving themselves. Oblivion was a decent RPG, but I always thought that the world was bland and boring, the lore wasn't that interesting, the world was just stupid(People in Bruma complaining about a harsh climate and I stand there thinking "Why not move 100 metres to the south, there's eternal summer over there"), the magic was boring(not any more advanced than Heretic back in the day), arrows shot from bows glided through the air, stabbing someone in their sleep didn't kill them(unless you played on a really easy difficulty), really small cities, etc.
    See, that's my point. It would be much easier and make a better game to improve on the defiencies you listed than trying to incorporate something brand new - that may or may not work.

That being said, it was still better than Fallout 3, which was also fairly decent. And taking the gun system from there shouldn't be too hard.
    Isn't Fallout 3 the game you're actually talking about? I know the tech was more advance but generally speaking isn't that what you're looking for?

Changing the world could make it more interesting instead of seeing the same generic medieval world.
    hmm, but remember this is TES. It already has an established lore

I'm still irked that Oblivion didn't have any of the fauna or creatures from Morrowind. They could've at least had a zoo with an Atul Grak or a guar on display...some clothes made of imported Kwame(sp) silk...

I'm talking about having really early steam tech, and some crude gunpowder weapons. This would make the world a lot more interesting to explore
    Why?

especially since steam punk games are practically non-existant and they'd fill out a nice niche
    While alienating the fan base they have.

(pun!!11) which could be a good marketing tool in general.
    Unfortunately making money is the main goal of a business so......there may be a TES: Steam Punk game...

Just thinking about it...almost makes me want to cry.

And story wise it could get more interesting considering you could have old knightly orders that are quickly losing their status, and political intrigue due to more venomous characters wanting more power(since the king died) and the council rules.
    You don't need Steam Punk for that you just need good writers...lol

I'd love it, but I doubt they have the balls.
    I really hope you're right...and they stay far away from ideas like that...lol

Also, 200 years later than oblivion and not noticing any difference in the environment wouldn't be too immersive. I'll still play it most likely of course
    Really? All the modernity you're used to is roughly 100 years old...electricity, computers, refrigeration, airplanes, cars, central heating/cooling...

Prior to that there were thousands of years when tech levels remained relatively the same

Am I the only one bored of medieval fantasy games?
    I'm still waiting on a really good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
    "whatchutalkinboutwillis!?"

Whos Willis?

Matter of taste I guess. I'd personally wouldn't want to see Oblivion 2. I'd rather see a continuation on the series, that's somehow believable, or atleast an explanation to why they don't make any progress.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

it's just a rumour. Bethesda blog dont say anything about it

it's just a rumour. Bethesda blog dont say anything about it
    Still though. One can only wonder what Tamriel's political situation will be like then. I predict that it will be final years of the Empire and that if the Akavari haven't returned and are trying to take over again then the Nords and Elves may be fighting it out across the land for domination.

Campidoctor

^The empire ended in Oblivion. If the game really is to be set 200 years after that, you shouldn't see any resemblance to the empire at that point.

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

200 years would be fine by me. And steampunk? How does that automatically factor into this? When people used weapons in 600 A.D. did they have guns in 800 A.D.? Besides, aren't all the dwarvern ruins and Sotha Sil's lair steampunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    200 years would be fine by me. And steampunk? How does that automatically factor into this? When people used weapons in 600 A.D. did they have guns in 800 A.D.? Besides, aren't all the dwarvern ruins and Sotha Sil's lair steampunk?
    I had forgotten about those. Makes you wonder why the technology hasn't spread.
    If people in 600 A.D. saw their neighbours use steam power they would want it too.

DAVIDE's Avatar QVID MELIVS ROMA?

If game's located in Skyrim, i dont see why it has to be 200 years late than Oblivion events. More plausible a game during the war of sucession in 1E 369

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

If people in 600 A.D. saw their neighbours use steam power they would want it too.
    Although technology isn't as important in TES as it is in the real world - because of the existance of magic.

Arcanum is much loved by many. Some of the Final Fantasy games are also steampunk. Magic and technology can coexist. Am I the only one bored of medieval fantasy games? Or Sci-fi(this includes Fallout)? :/
    Arcanum is a gem. Inherently broken, but a gem. Still, I don't think bethesda can pull off a successful steampunk atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by morteduzionism View Post
    I mean providing that a "head shot" doesn't instantly kill your opponent...why stab them with a sword?

I'm just trying to understand overkilling enemies...If your sword breaks I can understand resorting to magic...but to attack the average enemy with multiple types of weapons just seems excessive...
    You know it has always bothered me how you'd hack your opponent a million times with a blade, and he's still jumping around, right up to the point when he dies.

I don't care how unskilled my character is - if he delivers a sword hack to the face, ANY opponent should at least feel the effects. Preferrably by collapsing and gradually dying.

I would really, really prefer it if they slowed down the combat a little, and made even the most basic weapons deadly. Something like Assassin's creed would work nicely, ie if you fail to parry/dodge you'd make a series of clumsy parries that set you off balance. Wounding etc would be nice, but I know it's not going to happen, so at least they could make weapons' effects plausible.

From an RPG point of view, I could live with this in Morrowind. You could pretend, with the dice roll, that hits for litte damage represented the opponent losing balance, tiring, making mistakes, etc, and that the killing blow was the one that actually connected properly. But for Oblivion the developers went on about more realistic and plausible combat, so I'd expect the weapons I swing to behave like weapons, not like dead fish.

Also, whats up with bethesda removing practically all stabbing motions from the game?? Even tiny stiletto-like daggers would slash!

Quote Originally Posted by CDMan477 View Post
    ^The empire ended in Oblivion. If the game really is to be set 200 years after that, you shouldn't see any resemblance to the empire at that point.
    The game ended with the Elder Council calling the shots so the Empire was still being managed. Based on the excerpt from the novel I read the Empire is still quite alive 45 years later. It's not referred in past tense and the dialogue and narrative both point to current events that show the Empire has had to deal with at least one large rebellion since Martin's death. I wouldn't be surprised to see that 200 years later the last small pockets of Imperial Influence were taking their last breaths.

Campidoctor

^Who was running it then? With Martin's death, the Septim line obviously ended. If what you say is true, I would have started the next game only a few years later in the midst of a civil war with two or more powers vying for control of the empire. That would be a good story. It still seems more likely imo that the council would continue to rule.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast