Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Offical Napoleon Total War Historic Uniforms Thread

Default Re: The Offical Napoleon Total War Historic Uniforms Thread

By Polish Infantry, are you counting the French Polish Legion as well?

wojsport's Avatar Libertus

We had a few polish Legions : The Vistula Legion ( Legia Nadwiślańska ), The Legions of gen. Dąbrowski ( Legiony Dąbrowskiego ), Legia Nadunajska, Legia Północna ( de Nord ), Legia Polsko-
    Włoska. These units were polish, it means content by polish soldiers in polish uniforms

Last edited by wojsport; April 11, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
    Polish Proud and Glory

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johncage View Post
    this thread is useless since ca decided to give them all parade uniforms rather than campaign uniforms. just look at the laughable retreat from moscow scene in some of the videos. none of them are wearing great coats.

and if you question my claim, jack lusted already said they'll be using parade uniform because they look better, essentially. that is subjective and they need to go on historical accuracy, not foppish fashion sense.

True to a point. CA thinks it is better to have their troops models look pretty then be accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Marshal Beale♔ View Post
    This thread is not useless, it may be used for mods, uniform editor, etc...

True. I found many helpful pics here!

Anyone got any pictures of any more Swiss or Croatians? I found 3 in the thread or so, but that was about it.

Napoleon's Empire
    In 1804 Napoleon named himself Emperor of the French. At the brilliant coronation ceremony in Paris, the people witnessed an astonishing act. Napoleon took the crown from the pope's hands and placed it on his own head. Napoleon's action spoke loudly of his intention to be a strong ruler. How has French government been transformed from a democracy to an empire in five short years?

Restoring Order
    Napoleon wanted to bring order to the country. One of his first goals was to restructure the government. Although he tried to keep many of his revolutionary reforms, Napoleon replaced elected local officials with men he appointed himself. He also placed education under the control of the national government, creating technical schools, universities, and secondary schools. The secondary schools, called lycees, were designed to provide well-educated, patriotic government workers. Although student who attended the lycees came mostly from wealthy families, some poorer students received scholarships. In this way the French school were a step toward a public school system open to all children.
    Napoleon also changed the country's financial system. He created the Bank of France and required that every citizen pay taxes. The collected taxes were deposited in the bank and used by the government to make loans businesses. These changes gradually brought inflation and high prices under control.
    Napoleon's many supporters welcomed his strong government and peace and order it brought. In 1802 Napoleon named himself Consul for life. This move was overwhelmingly approved by a plebiscite, or popular vote.

The French uniform.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Quote Originally Posted by XJoel15 View Post

The French uniform.
    From when? I;ve never seen those before.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    They are from the Egyptian Campaign of 1798-1801. The lack of resources coupled with the extremes of climate resulted in a number of innovations to the normal uniforms of the French troops sent on this campiagn, similar in many way to those that were applied to the British uniforms of units sent to fight in America. The distinctive helment with the pouffe (sausage) was adopted in 1798, the colour denoting which half of the demi-brigade the soldier served in. Grenadiers wore a red pouffe on their helmets. In 1799, shortages of blue cloth resulted in more changes, and it was reserved for the artillery only. The cavalry began wearing green, and the infantry either red, black, grey or brown. Light infantry were usually issued with green.

The image posted shows from left to right, an infantry officer 1799-1801 in a red jacket, a line infantryman 1798, light infantryman 1798, line infantry drummer 1798 (from Knötel, Uniformenkunde. )

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    The french troops did used this type of uniform in Egypt 1798-1801

Yes.

Laetus

All,
    Regarding the French Ligne units uniform ( Legere can be included)
    From my sources and reviewing the forum PICs and trying to organize my troops historically as possible... I have observed this particular item ( mostly 1809):
    Voltigeur Company plume arrangement:
    seen red pompom, green and yellow
    seen yellow plume with red top, green top and yellow ( no top)[over pompom]
    seen green plume with red top ( mostly in legere chassuer co but in ligne units also) and yellow top[over pompom]
    seen red plume with green top and yellow top[over pompom].

Some my question is "is there a scheme/regulation for this color schemes"?
    That is... batt, regiment, brigade and Division arrangement?
    One could guess [with 1808 change to 3 batt of 6 co organization]...
    1st Batt red pompom, 2nd green and 3rd yellow
    Regiments of this DIV A had yellow plumes and first brigade had green tops and 2nd brigade had yellow tops
    Does anyone know of any regulations that stated the arrangement, whether regimental or by Division?
    GsR

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by robitaillegs View Post
    All,
    Regarding the French Ligne units uniform ( Legere can be included)
    From my sources and reviewing the forum PICs and trying to organize my troops historically as possible... I have observed this particular item ( mostly 1809):
    Voltigeur Company plume arrangement:
    seen red pompom, green and yellow
    seen yellow plume with red top, green top and yellow ( no top)[over pompom]
    seen green plume with red top ( mostly in legere chassuer co but in ligne units also) and yellow top[over pompom]
    seen red plume with green top and yellow top[over pompom].

Some my question is "is there a scheme/regulation for this color schemes"?
    That is... batt, regiment, brigade and Division arrangement?
    One could guess [with 1808 change to 3 batt of 6 co organization]...
    1st Batt red pompom, 2nd green and 3rd yellow
    Regiments of this DIV A had yellow plumes and first brigade had green tops and 2nd brigade had yellow tops
    Does anyone know of any regulations that stated the arrangement, whether regimental or by Division?
    GsR
    There are no regulations as you try to outline for Regiment, Brigade, Division.

For line infantry Fusilier companies (edit: within the classic 6 company battalion) wore pompoms as follows:
    1st Dark green ,
    2nd Sky-blue;
    3rd aurore (orange/pink)
    4th violet.

Grenadiers wore red plumes & epaulettes - but even here you find variations, some adding yellow......;
    Voltigeurs were a law unto themselves though regulations prescribed a yellow pompom, this was usually topped by a plume; shako cords would be green or yellow. However eapulettes & plumes could be a mix of green, red & yellow. It was only the Bardin regulations of 1812 that tried to enforce a semblance of order - green epaulettes with yellow half moons, green & yellow tufted pompoms etc.....

Some examples of Voltigeur distinctions:
    3rd Line (1807) green over yellow pompom; green shako cords,; green eaulettes & yellow crescents.
    4th Line (1809) green plume red tip; white shako cords; green eapulettes, red crescents.
    18th Line (1809) red plume yellow tip or vice-versa; green shako cords; green epaulettes yellow crescents
    26th Line yellow over green; green cords; green epaulettes yellow crescents.
    42nd Line yellow tipped green; green cords; yellow epaulettes with green finge.
    57th Line green plume tipped yellow; green cords; green epaulettes yellow crescents.
    63rd Line (1807) green over yellow plumes; green cords; yellow epaulettes green fringe.

For the Light regiments there was also no standardisation, some examples:
    2nd Light (1809) red plume with yellw base; white sjako cords; Chamois collar; red eapaulette starp, green fringe, yellow crescent.
    3rd Light (1807-08) yellow tipped green plume, green epaulettes, yellow crescents.
    5th Light (1806) yellow tipped green plume; yellow collar edged red; green epaulettes with red crescent.
    7th Light (1809) yellow over red plume; yellow shako cords; yellow epaulettes with red fringe, white crescent.
    8th Light (1809) red tipped yellow plume; yellow shako cords; yellow epaulettes, red fringe.
    10th Light (1809) yellow tipped green plume;yellow collar piped white; brass scaled epaulettes fringed green.
    etc......

Attached are plates from Rousselot showing elite companies for both line & light infantry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tav19.JPG   tav20.JPG   tav56.JPG   tav07.JPG   tav08.JPG  

tav39.JPG   tav96.JPG  
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; July 16, 2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Some rousselot plates; qualifying comment on the Fusiliers; additional info
    Sign DLC petition for improved map for NTW
    Useful Websites |Napoleon: Masters of Europe |
    The Wardrobe of 1805 |Napoleon: Art of War|
    Frederick the Great: Art of War|
    Under the Patronage of Gunny
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Did Napoleon employ Spanish Cavalry specifically what kinds? I remember reading about Spanish cavalry in Napoleon's service but it did not specify.
    Any pictures?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    Did Napoleon employ Spanish Cavalry specifically what kinds? I remember reading about Spanish cavalry in Napoleon's service but it did not specify.
    Any pictures?
    The only Spanish cavalry was in Joseph Bonaparte's Army. Actual composition of Joseph's army is not 100 per cent clear as there are contradictions; some units were mere shells etc

Some authors have:

Husares de Guadalajara (Hussars of Guadaljara)
    Lanceros de la Mancha (Lancers of La Mancha)
    Cazadores a Caballo (Horse Chasseurs) 2 regiments
    Caballeria de Linea (Line Cavalry) - in theory 6 regiments but never fully formed.

Guardia de Honor
    Guard Hussars
    Guard Chevaulegers

Others omit Hussars of Guadalajara & Horse Chasseurs; and replace Lanceros de la Mancha with Lanceros de Sevilla; but the Sanudo database (Military Institute) has Lanceros de Sevilla founded May 1811 (possibly 1 & 2 regiments or squadrons?); prior to that they may well have been Lanceros de Dalmacia; October 1811 Lanceros Espanoles; November 1811 Lanceros de la Mancha founded with 2 squadrons?(discharged 1812);

Sanudo's database has a 3rd & 4th Regimiento de Cazadores a Caballo founded in 1810.
    He also has Dragones de la Reina founded in 1810;

Here are a couple of Knotel plates - Edit: have added more pictures.

Last edited by Prince of Essling; November 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: insertion of further pictures; plus more info/clarification
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Patrician

Any pictures and information on Neapolitan, Kingdom of Italy and Napoleon's Portuguese Cavalry?
    Also apparently Napoleon had a foreign regiment of Hungarian, Swedish and Danish infantry and cavalry does anyone know of these and some pictures although I believe that these looked just like the actual soldiers from their respective armies simply under French service with most in 1812. I also heard that Napoleon used middle eastern infantry as well hat were armed like the French and looked similar to the Mamelukes, did Napoleon use any other eastern cavalry? What did the sepoy cavalry look like?
    Please Pictures!
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; November 15, 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Patrician

Any pictures and information on Neapolitan, Kingdom of Italy and Napoleon's Portuguese Cavalry?
    Also apparently Napoleon had a foreign regiment of Hungarian, Swedish and Danish infantry and cavalry does anyone know of these and some pictures although I believe that these looked just like the actual soldiers from their respective armies simply under French service with most in 1812. I also heard that Napoleon used middle eastern infantry as well hat were armed like the French and looked similar to the Mamelukes, did Napoleon use any other eastern cavalry? What did the sepoy cavalry look like?
    Please Pictures!
    You will find a list of regiments for Naples at post 25 & for Kingdom of Italy at post 14 in the Minor Nations/States Regimental thread at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=436889.

Attached are some examples of cavalry uniforms for the Kingdom of Italy; Naples & the Portuguese Legion:

I don't recognise any of this:- Hungarian, Swedish and Danish infantry and cavalry ........(?do you mean the Danish Auxiliary Corps of 1813?)
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; November 15, 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: question added to try & clarify posters question.

Patrician

I also heard that Napoleon used middle eastern infantry as well hat were armed like the French and looked similar to the Mamelukes, did Napoleon use any other eastern cavalry? Please Pictures!

In September 1799 Napoleon had General Kleber form a mounted company of Mameluke auxiliaries, and Syrian janissaries from Turks captured at the siege of Acre.

Edit: Dempsey "Napoleon's Mercenaries: Foreign Units in the French Army under the Consulate and Empire - says the janissaries comprised 2 independent companies of Syrian cavalrymen; Syrian is misleading because the men came from myriad of nationalties, ethnic & religious groups in the Middle East - Turks, Syrians, Druse & Egyptians.

Edit: Dempsey also says from July to August 1798 independent formations of Turkish soldiers (Janissaries) were formed to maintain law & order in most provinces & major cities of Egypt. Most varied from 25 to 65 men, though Cairo had a battalion of 5 companies each of 65 men. They wore native dress but with a French cockade.

Here are some pictures of his Syrian cavalry, Greek & Coptic infantry & local Guides raised during the Egyptian campaign - from the NYPL collection & elsewhere.

Edit: as to Sepoys I have found no reference to cavalry, just to 2 battalions of infantry.....
    Last edited by Prince of Essling; November 16, 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: additional info re Sepoys

Patrician

I take it that the Syrians joined the Mamelukes of the Guard. What about the Janissaries did they go to France and if so what regiments did they join?
    Any pictures of Sepoy infantry for the french or portuguese?
    Reason I am asking is because I want to make a mod about all the colonial things for Napoleon.

Patrician

I take it that the Syrians joined the Mamelukes of the Guard. What about the Janissaries did they go to France and if so what regiments did they join?
    Any pictures of Sepoy infantry for the french or portuguese?
    Reason I am asking is because I want to make a mod about all the colonial things for Napoleon.
    According to one source the Janissaries became the Legion Syrienne but Fieffe "Histoire des Troupes Etrangeres au Service de France" makes no mention of the Legion!

The Syrian Janissaries went into the first formation of Mamelouks in Egypt in 1800; following the French defeat numbers saw exile & service with the French as their best option. The best went into the Mamelouks of the Guard (which also took in men from the Greek & Coptic legions).

Turning to the Sepoys - see attached examples (happy to provide further info off line as it is not straight forward) ....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast