View Poll Results: Are you interested in playing Battle of Hastings as a HB?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please!

33 97.06%
  • No way, man...

1 2.94%

Thread: Historical Battle: Hastings

Default Historical Battle: Hastings

Hi everyone, I've discovered this mod some days ago when looking for some saxon unit models. I'm making Battle of Hastings for another mod, and I would like to know if you people are interested in having it converted to this mod (in my oppinion it would be awesome as the focus of the whole mod is the struggle between the Norman and the Saxon). Well, post your comments and suggestions too.
    There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

General_Zavier's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Historical Battle: Hastings

I think it would add to the mod. During the campaign, especially as the saxons, the battle of hastings gets dragged out over anywhere from two to ten years. I'm at 1071 and there's still two full norman stacks I have to take care of. Its definitly not a bad thing, but I want to fight a more realistic battle of hastings.
    The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth. ~Niels Bohr
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot outwit stupid people.
    ~Anonymous

Romano British AAR
    End of Days AAR
    WRE Migration Campaign AAR
    The Official RTW Screenshot Competition.

A historic battle of Hastings would be great

a historical Hastings would be great

At the time, I'm stucked with some scripting... I think I'll be solving it for next week and then I'll start converting the battle to this mod (originally, it was thought as to be played with Rome Medieval mod units). The units behaviour is similar to that present at Medieval 2 Hastings HB. Is this ok? Would you prefer any change? Both factions will be playable, and I will post some pics 1 week before release.

Herr Lindstrom's Avatar Semisalis

Okay? Who was the numbnut that voted "no"?

Some screenshots:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I still have to balance forces (it's too easy for Harold and his men at the time) and make some intro-sequence scripting, perhaps delete some trees, and of course, make the multiplayer version.

Looks great, keep up the good work!

Looks very nice can't wait to try it.

Looks good, Mataputas. Maybe instead of Multiplayer you could do two seperate versions with the different sides playable, so that no matter which you play, it will be devilishly hard to win (in the MoN spirit!).
    Protein cores made in the rough endoplasmic reticulum are posttranslationally modified by glycosyltransferases in the Golgi apparatus, where GAG disaccharides are added to protein cores to yield proteoglycans; the exception is hyaluronan, which is uniquely synthesized without a protein core and is "spun out" by enzymes at cell surfaces directly into the extracellular space.

Hey, that's my spirit! With a patent and all.

Good idea though, unless you can script the AI into behaving reasonably.

Yes, I'll try to script the experience so that the AI team is more powerful, no matter what side you take.

I need some info abaout hastings, especially about the composition of both armies. Could you please help me by posting some links or info? I'm retaking the design of Hastings today (I've been a bit bussy with study). I'll try to start scripting today (or tomorrow). Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

You're also invited to join the NI hamachi Network:

Network: RTW Norman Invasion
    Password: RTW Norman Invasion
    Last edited by Mataputas; November 19, 2009 at 11:24 AM.

Hastings...Great!...Great victory to Guillaume de Normandie!
    La bataille de Hastings! - 14 octobre 1066 -this battle will start a series of clashes between two mighty peoples, where France will extend a glorious future, leaving permanently etched their mark on British culture.

The Saxon army was about 6000-7000 strong at Hastings and was based around the elite Housecarls to hold the line where as the Fryd were there to add bulk and fill the gaps. Harold's army at the time consisted of between 1000-1500 housecarls and 5000-5500 Fryd ,of which all the Housecarls and a small portion of the Fryd were exhausted and tired from the battle of Stamford Bridge, but otherwise most were freshly called up. Harold also had the insurance of one of his brothers and the Earl of Northumberland each bringing around 1500-2500 men each from the north and were around 2-3 days away from Hastings on the day of the battle. Williams Norman army was made up of around 6500-7500 men and was more complexly divided than Harold's. It consisted of around 2500-3000 Breton's (led by Count Alan of Brittany), who were the weak link in William's army and the equivalent of the Fryd. It also consisted of 2000-2500 French and Flemish mercenaries (led by Count Eustace of Boulonge) and about 2000 Normans of which roughly 3/4 were mounted horsemen. While Harold's army was solely infantry Williams was a mix or archers/crossbowmen, infantry (mostly spearmen) and knights/horsemen. William had approximately 750-1250 archers, 250 crossbowmen, 4500 infantry and 1500 cavalry. William placed his Breton troops on his left on the gentler slopes and were faced by the Saxon right led by Harold's brother Gyrth. He placed his Franco-Flemish Mercenaries on his right and was faced by the Saxon left led by Harold's other present brother Leofwin. While William held back with the Norman Knights at the rear guard, Harold was on foot personally leading the his Huscarls at the centre of the Saxon centre thus depriving him of tactical overview that William had. Not that I know much at all.

Is this still happening ?