Thread: Dark Crusade Campaign - Help!

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

Default Dark Crusade Campaign - Help!

I'm playing as the Imperial Guard on normal, and I have 5 provinces, all of which are maxed out with their garrisons and have large bases with plenty of facilities and turrets, etc. I'm pretty secure defensively .. offensively, however, I can't seem to do anything. Every time I try to attack a province I just get swarmed with hordes of Orks, Chaos Space Marines, or Necrons. I'm playing as fast as I can, but just as I'm setting up my base they attack me with a horde of really good units. Sometimes it's the honor guard, but half the time this isn't even with the enemy having a commander.

How do you fight a skirmish battle against an enemy who already has a full base when you're starting with just the regular HQ? I know there's the honor guard, but the max it's letting me use is one unit of Kaskirins and one guard squad ... which doesn't get me very far.

I'm sure there's just something I'm missing, but I can't figure out what that is. Any hints? I might have to restart this campaign, seeing as the Orks have about 3/4 of the planet and don't seem to be slowing down any time soon.
    Last edited by mongoose; October 24, 2009 at 10:09 PM.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default Re: Dark Crusade Campaign - Help!

Strange, IG has least problem for me... The thing is that you would throw every man into your buildings if some crazy horde comes; a three slots garrison would allow your buildings shoot out plasma + MG + laser like hell, and two of these buildings would kill anything on your base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

you should do early rush, and not be so defensible... you will end up with huge enemies whit fully tect/build bases/armys

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

That depends; early rush is only possible if the map is large and enemy did not develop the base. As the buildings in previous campaign would leave on the map for next time, it is better pray that enemy does not build too much during their last campaign...

But that is also why I always build everything, including upgrade all resource point to maximum, before I end the campaign; it feels like cheating but when enemy attack that map next time they would face a few nice MG post right in front their base on beginning.
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.

hey man....you should really restart..do the Adeptus Astartes aka Space Marines...

you should find the whole campaign much easier....

btw. the Space Marine ending is the canonical

Strange, IG has least problem for me... The thing is that you would throw every man into your buildings if some crazy horde comes; a three slots garrison would allow your buildings shoot out plasma + MG + laser like hell, and two of these buildings would kill anything on your base.
    This. Pretty much. IG has it easy. Bunker down on some choke point with a couple of HWT for anti tank and rush the hell out of one of the enemies with your honor guard.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'm going to restart and try again.

For the emperor!

... Oh God, I've become a 40K nerd. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    For the emperor!
    Sanity is for the weak!!! We don't need paper Guardmen for war!!!

For the Chaos!!!!

cfmonkey45's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Sanity is for the weak!!! We don't need paper Guardmen for war!!!

For the Chaos!!!!
    Funny, it just seems that every time you launch a Black Crusade, you get owned by them.

Quote Originally Posted by cfmonkey45 View Post
    Funny, it just seems that every time you launch a Black Crusade, you get owned by them.
    We Chaos got owned by Space Marine; paper Guardmen alone is nothing to us.

Expect when they come with the big toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    BTW, ferrets54, you are a pedophile.

Speaking of Chaos, what's the best way to take Hyperion peaks from the Orks if you're playing as CSM? I'm starting to wish I was still Imperial Guard ... I hear they get two baneblades for that mission.

Does splitting up your army and rushing the strongholds really work at the same time?

Don't remember, but Chaos for DC should rely on invisible CSM + a lot of heavy bolters; the result if like several invisible MG team running around, killing everything for fun.

The bad thing is that CSM has weak HP, so they cannot storm some stronghold, but that is why we need Daemon Prince, Bloodthirster and Predator to do those dirty job (I always throw three together for break through, follow by CSM to gun down any remain).

For the Hyperion peaks mission, you get a starting army and you can't build anything else. Your objective is to get rid of all the enemy structures on the map. I will keep the invisible CSM with bolters thing in mind for the other maps, though.

I tried it for a second time, and manage to take out two HQs and all but 23 (they start with 60) of the buildings ... then I got Ork swarmed.

Oh, I remember it; that mission is a painass and I only complete because I have a bunch of Honor Guard.

But I have no problem to beat that even using Tau (although Tau is crazy strong against Ork), so Chaos should not be the problem... Just remember that use your mech instead infantry to beat most , and always keep your whole force together.

I already destroyed the Ork HQ, so they're neutralized. I'm going to wipe out the Eldar, the Nercons, and the Tau and then attack Hyperion again once I can get together an honor guard of like 10 units.