Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NTW Expansion Idea: Victorian Era

Hresvelgr's Avatar Campidoctor

Default NTW Expansion Idea: Victorian Era

Now, I've had this great idea for a Civil War era expansion to the Total War series stuck in my head for a while, but I decided it'd be best if called Victoria: Total War, as when someone suggests an ACW expansion they automatically go "Two sides? Boring!" But there would obviously be more than two sides. Now, as the Victorian era would go from roughly 1840 to 1900, this'd have to be the last TW game chronologically speaking as the 20th century is just unfeasible for TW-style gameplay. But anyways, I can imagine this having much, much more potential and variety than Napoleon Total War.

Now, the Victorian era covered many MASSIVE and HUGE (yes, all-caps are necessary, that's how huge it is) wars that were possibly much grander in scope than anything in the ETW era. First off (that I know off) there's the Mexican-American War, the Afghan Wars, the Opium Wars in China, the biggy: The American Civil War, another biggie: The War of the Triple Alliance between Paraguay and Brazil/Argentina/Uruguay (nearly as bloody as the ACW) and Britain's various colonial expeditions. There's much potential for changing history here, whether it's turning Mexico into the North American superpower instead of USA, making the South an independent nation, preserving the strength of Paraguay or Bolivia, planting your name on as much soil as possible as any European nation, the list can go on and on. Suffice to say, a Victorian expansion could be the biggest and most expansive TW yet if CA really tried. Your thoughts?
    I'm not crazy, I'm the only one who's not crazy!

Default Re: NTW Expansion Idea: Victorian Era

I would be in favour of such a game.

Something CA have neglected up to now is the colonial exploits in South Africa. It makes for a great total war game. You have Dutch and British settlers. You can play as the British Army or as Boers, or as many of the native tribes such as the Zulu's. You also have the diamond rich soil of Africa for trade etc aswell as the differences in fighting style, culture and diplomacy between Europeans and natives. All the things that combine for a great Total War game.

I also think a Civil War game is more feesible (sp?) than many think. There were more influences than the South and the North. I mean this conflict is dying to be made into a Total War game. Aswell as playing as the South or North, you could play as the British aswell who were friendly with the South. Hell, you could even go further and play as the British breaking North blockades of Southern cities thus helping to alter the course of history - which is what Total War is all about.

(I'm dying to line up some British with Martini Henry rifles and Foreign Service Helmets against hordes of zulu tribesmen. Man that is too sweet to imagine in a Total War game...)

As for the other theatres you mentioned, I can't possible comment because I have no knowledge of them. I'm sure they would be great fun to play in a Total War game though. So yes, I'm in great favour of this.
    Last edited by The Gallant Forty-Twa; October 25, 2009 at 06:53 AM.

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

I would concur. Ideally, they would have a 'Kingdoms' style expansion with four campaigns such as
    Victoria-This would be based in Africa with the Zulu Campaigns as well as Sudan and others

American Civil War-It would cover that conflict, which is needed to be give full justice in the gaming industry, only something total war can do.

Crimea-Maybe...I don't know. But the 'Charge of the Light brigade' would be fun.

Bismarck-This would cover the unification of Germany such as Franco-Prussian War, wars with Austria etc.

I doubt CA would do this, but it would be great.

By the way, the spelling is 'feasible'.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Considering the Victorian Era with the substainual technological advances, railways, industrial power, military doctrine, diplomacy, wars of unification, ACW and the Imperialism age i very much doubt this would happen, because they would have end up making a completely new in its own like ETW or RTW, however i susposed it might use a similar engine to NTW i guess.
    Be hopefully though, because i am sure the Victorian Total War game will eventually come in the future hopefully after NTW or ACW if it is seperate game mixed in with VTW who knows??

hitokiri2486's Avatar Centenarius

I think Kingdoms-style expansion would be amazing.

I get the feeling though that after NTW CA will do a remake of a previous game. Since everyone and their mother seems to be clamoring from RTW2...
    Let me persuade you with my powerful logic skills.

In light of the Total War series, a quote from the theologian whom I respect the most:

The Heavenly City outshines Rome, beyond comparison. There, instead of victory, is truth; instead of high rank, holiness.
    St. Augustine, Bishop of Hippo

I hope that VTW is not a kingdom like expansion just because I would love to have the alternate history elements like the US in Africa? or something instead of just fighting the Civil War. Sandbox is the best part of TW games. I am disappointed with the story based stuff in NTW, would have preferred a world map instead.

I would love such a game.
    I've Done a Custom battle trying to mimmic The Charge of the Light Brigade and While I did it I listened to "The Trooper" By Iron Maiden. It was fun watching Dozens of my Horsemen Die at one Time.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

I think it is a great idea, covering the era of the ACW but having much more scope. The ACW is just a little too limited in scope by itself
    Na Géanna Fiáine

I can deinately see an American Civil War expansion

Yes, I hope that would be the NTW expansion, but I don't care what comes next, the Napoleonic era is the only era (maybe Romans too) that I truely love, so CA better not screw it up, but I do hope that the expansion is the American Civil War and other wars of the era! The ACW is interesting, and I would be willing to learn a little about the era!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Campidoctor

We're already on to NTW expansions?!? How about modding tools total war then. I'd want that "expansion" before another TW game at this point.

The idea of having an expansion about the second half of the 19th century is nice, but I think that the name "Victorian Era" is not appropriated for the expansion because this designation is applied only to the British history. For example, in the French history there is no such thing. That's why I think that the name of the expansion should be more generalist.

Two words why I would like to see such an expansion....Shaka Zulu!!!
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

delete
    Last edited by Champagne Gold; November 22, 2011 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gallant Forty-Twa View Post
    I would be in favour of such a game.

Something CA have neglected up to now is the colonial exploits in South Africa. It makes for a great total war game. You have Dutch and British settlers. You can play as the British Army or as Boers, or as many of the native tribes such as the Zulu's. You also have the diamond rich soil of Africa for trade etc aswell as the differences in fighting style, culture and diplomacy between Europeans and natives. All the things that combine for a great Total War game.
    I disagree. Anything beyond ~1870 doesn't fit the ETW engine at all. At that point all the major powers adopted breechloading rifles and metal cartridges, which radically changed the nature of war. That new style of warfare just doesn't fit TW.

Quote Originally Posted by erasmus777 View Post
    I disagree. Anything beyond ~1870 doesn't fit the ETW engine at all. At that point all the major powers adopted breechloading rifles and metal cartridges, which radically changed the nature of war. That new style of warfare just doesn't fit TW.
    I think the system will work up to introduction of the machine gun and mass, industrial armies. The American Civil War and the Franco-Prussian War are the two biggest wars of that period. The ACW definitely fits. The Franco-Prussian War is a bit of a stretch. Not for size - the ACW was much bigger in geographical scope and manpower. The problem becomes battelfield scale with the introduction of Prussian steel barrel rifled artillery as the "standard" fire support, rather than the occasional novelty inclusion of Whitworths in ACW battles.

alpaca's Avatar Harbinger of saliva

Isn't NTW the expansion for ETW? I'm pretty sure they called it a "standalone expansion" so what you're suggesting is kind of an expansion for the expansion, or maybe ex²pansion?

No thing is everything. Every thing is nothing.

Considering C.A 's claim that the ETW engine is specifically designed for ranged/gunpowder warfare, I think that the early to mid 19th century might be the next stage of ETW's evolution after Napoleon. Possibly a small scale 'Alexander' style campaign based on the US Civil War?

If it isn't 19th century, then they might turn the clock back to the pike and shot era of the late 16th to mid-late 17th centuries. I prefer the Pike and Shot era over the 19th century, but I'd still buy a 19th century Total War (if it was any good).

Indefinitely Banned

tht woud be cool but it wouldnt be much just us vs us kindve boring sounding

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-opera Jungian View Post
    I would concur. Ideally, they would have a 'Kingdoms' style expansion with four campaigns such as
    Victoria-This would be based in Africa with the Zulu Campaigns as well as Sudan and others

American Civil War-It would cover that conflict, which is needed to be give full justice in the gaming industry, only something total war can do.

Crimea-Maybe...I don't know. But the 'Charge of the Light brigade' would be fun.

Bismarck-This would cover the unification of Germany such as Franco-Prussian War, wars with Austria etc.

I doubt CA would do this, but it would be great.

By the way, the spelling is 'feasible'.
    And then have a 'Grand Campaign' to if you wanted, say, be the British and get involved in the US Civil War or someone across those lines. So I guess you could call it another "Kingdoms" expansion, or sort of like another Napoleon TW with 4 separate 'mini campaigns' that are not linked in any fashion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast