Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimod: Gunports on Ships! (v1.1: update removes purple sides!)

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Icon10 Minimod: Gunports on Ships! (v1.1: update removes purple sides!)

Introduction It's one of those things you don't really notice until you take a close look at the ships in the game: they're missing gunports! Since editing the models is quite difficult and certainly way beyond my league, I thought I'd do what I'm reasonably good at: texturing.. So, without further ado, I present new textures for the in-game ships that add gunports!

It's a really minor detail, but I definitely think it adds to the atmosphere..

The screenshots below were made with two absolutely crucial mods:

Screenshots
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Compatibility This mod is compatible with vanilla Empire: Total War, but I wholeheartedly recommend using it in conjuction with the Sealords Minimod. If you do, be sure to load mod_gunports after the Sealords Minimod, so the textures in that mod are replaced with the ones in this mod.

If you don't like the custom colours from the SeaLords Minimod, don't worry; you can still install this mod and it won't recolour your ships. It'll just add the gunports. The textures on your ship will still look just like that Spanish galleon in the fourth screenshot.

Installation Instructions Open the .rar file and extract mod_gunports.pack to the following file structure in your Steam directory: Steam\steamapps\common\empire total war\data. Then use the Mod Manager to activate it.

Credits Since this mod uses modified textures that were originally made by Bladerunner, he definitely deserves a lot of credit for this mod. In fact, if it hadn't been for his mod, I don't think I would've gotten the idea for this little graphical modification.

Download Download mod .pack from MediaFire

Enjoy! And be sure to let me know what you think!
    Last edited by jarnomiedema; October 28, 2009 at 06:19 PM.

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Default Re: Minimod: Gunports on Ships!

Nice work

Wow simply awesome!

If i saw those screens i would believe it was already present there, a very nice detail jarnomiedema and extremely well done textures, which give a lot more flavour to ships indeed, +rep to you mate

Cool,relly good jobˇ

Yes, thanks for the nice little addition. (Also, I loved your United Province "Light Edition" Skin Mod. I wish other skin modders offered similar options: a light edition without any additional units and then a full edition.)

I also took your suggestion to use it in conjunction with Bladerunner's minimod. However, unfortunately, Bladerunner's mod didn't run too well for me. It turned the sides of my 2nd raters bright purple! So I'm using your mod without.

Nice adition to ships and to community...Cheers

l33tl4m3r's Avatar A Frakkin' Toaster

I like it! +rep!
    [House of Caesars|Under the Patronage of Carl von Döbeln]

XxGREAT-BRITAINx's Avatar Centenarius
    United Kingdom, Greater Manchester, Stockport, Hazel Grove

Great mini-mod ;-)
    Last edited by XxGREAT-BRITAINx; December 16, 2009 at 07:48 AM.

MorganH.'s Avatar Finis adest rerum

I like it,Great work Jarno !!
    +rep of course
    Greetings

Well Done "jarnomiedema" excellent work. Alas I too have the Purple ships side color. Mind you it is only on the 5th rate, and the 6th rate at the battle I just fought. I had two Sloops there as well, but they were not colored purple? I was using Bladerunners mod, but ditched it after I found out it was also included in AUM mod which I run as well, so I was in sense double-dipping. Wonder what would happen if I put it back..

testing..one..two..three

OH ya... +REP mate, jolly good show old bean

Push on, brave York volunteers

titanvoyager's Avatar Biarchus

a little detail that adds a lot, +rep!
    "...to boldly go where no man has gone before."

BKF's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Major General Isaac Brock View Post
    Well Done "jarnomiedema" excellent work. Alas I too have the Purple ships side color.
    Hi jarnomiedema:

Am using the AUM graphics pack and also get the purple sides when running a quick 'mod test' in a sea battle. A number of the larger ships of the line seem to have complete purple sides port and starboard. The steamship however did not but had the gunports mod visible and working. I guess a clash of files/mods somewhere??? Any ideas???

Regardless thank you for enhancing the game play and immersion.

PS - The update fixed the problem, thanks to jarnomiedema & Blade Runner for the detective work - mods like these and Swiss's wonderful work continue to help with the immersion - grand job all.
    Last edited by BKF; October 30, 2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Update fixed problem
    BKF - To infinity and beyond...

Ftmch's Avatar Senator

Good mod! +rep

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your comments and the +rep I've received.. Thanks a lot! In fact, my first thoughts were to just keep this mod to myself because I didn't think anyone would be really interested, but after a while I thought 'you put in the effort, why not just upload it and see if there are others who like it'. Glad to see there are more than a few!

Again, thanks! I'm thinking of making another thread which compiles all the mods I've worked on / am working on into one, so it can be checked much more easily. Right now I have two little mods and two big mods scattered around the forum.. Plus I'm working on Imperial Splendour nowadays..

Here are some personal replies:

Quote Originally Posted by XxGREAT-BRITAINx View Post
    Oh And Just One Question Pal?, To You And All Infact, Where Did You Get The Ship Skins From?! Please Tell
    Haha, read the first post again: you'll find your answer there. I listed the mods I used to make these screenshots, including the one that retextures the ships..

Quote Originally Posted by MKeogh View Post
    I also took your suggestion to use it in conjunction with Bladerunner's minimod. However, unfortunately, Bladerunner's mod didn't run too well for me. It turned the sides of my 2nd raters bright purple! So I'm using your mod without.
    Quote Originally Posted by Major General Isaac Brock View Post
    Well Done "jarnomiedema" excellent work. Alas I too have the Purple ships side color. Mind you it is only on the 5th rate, and the 6th rate at the battle I just fought. I had two Sloops there as well, but they were not colored purple? I was using Bladerunners mod, but ditched it after I found out it was also included in AUM mod which I run as well, so I was in sense double-dipping. Wonder what would happen if I put it back..
    Quote Originally Posted by BKF View Post
    Am using the AUM graphics pack and also get the purple sides when running a quick 'mod test' in a sea battle. A number of the larger ships of the line seem to have complete purple sides port and starboard. The steamship however did not but had the gunports mod visible and working. I guess a clash of files/mods somewhere??? Any ideas???
    I also received a PM by Pdguru who described a similar problem.. Unfortunately I haven't been able to replicate your results, because (as the screenshots show) I don't have any problems running it..

I think the best advice I can give is the following: make sure that mod_gunports.pack is loaded after everything else in the Mod Manager. If that doesn't work, try disabling all other mods, except for mod_gunports.pack and see if it works. If it does, there's a conflict with one of the other mods. Since that'll probably be different in each individual case, the only thing I can then recommend is going down the list one by one and trying out the naval battles. If one of the mods subsequently clashes with the gunport mod, you have your culprit..

If you guys could let me know which of your mods seems to clash with the gunports mod, I can download it and check it out for myself and see if there's some kind of remedy for your problem..

Right now I get the feeling that the AUM might be responsible for the problems, but I can't be sure..

Lastly, if you're experiencing a problem, feel free to include a screenshot between 'spoiler' tags so I can check it out and perhaps come up with a solution..

Again, thanks for the support and keep the bug reports and comments coming!

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Quote Originally Posted by jarnomiedema View Post
    Right now I get the feeling that the AUM might be responsible for the problems, but I can't be sure..
    Hello Jarnomiedema, I did some tests with your mod and my optional AUM "patch_aum_graphics.pack".

In this file is the whole "Sealords Singleplayer Shipmod 1.0" from BLADERUNNER included. The mod-manager shows 13 conflicts.

5 are gunport/AUM related and at the moment it isn't possible to use both packs together without graphical problems.

Well Sink me Sir, If that doesn't place a very fine Fox in the midst of a rather likable "sheep run"!! Twould seem the gunports have to stay shut for now, and that would complicate the firing of cannons what what!

Well Fair Damsels and Gents, after a little trial an error, I replayed the naval engagements that I had yesterday, and no more purple sides to date. As I reported earlier here, I removed the mod from Bladerunner, after Swiss told me it was already included AUM which I use extensively (<----- Good plug right Swiss) Then of course along comes this little gem, and we get the purple "bug".

So, I's got to thinking after Swiss's bomb, and plopped the sealords mod back in, and made sure the gun ports was at the bottom, and success crowns my brow with laurels... what say you???

Nice work...

For the problem with the purple ships: Why doesn't anyone tell me about it???
    Does all who have this problem more than one of the following Mods installed: Sealords-Multiplayer-Mod with model.pack (though it should be outdated with the last patches), Sealords-Minimod, Hornblower-mod, Pirates-Mod, AUM and new to it jarnomiedema's Gunport-mod?

I made originally a Multiplayer-Mod which uses the slmodel.pack, to enable the use of more than one texture on most of the ships. Some other mods got the permission to use parts of it (Hornblower and Pirate-Mod). I made later a variance for use in GC and with other mods like DM - Sealords-Minimod, which is very much restricted to existing shipmodels. This one is imo used by AUM.
    As both the Multiplayer mod with the model.pack (and all mods that builds on it) and the Mini-Mod (and AUM) use the same Models, the textures have the same names. This might lead to the problems.

As i have no influance which version is used (mini-mod or model.pack-parts), i can't solve this problem by my own. The only way would imo be to have all mods use the same textures. I can just take a look at all those mods and try to find out what exactly are the differances and mayby provide new textures and models for the mods.

If there is anybody, who just use one of the named mods and have the problem of purple shipsides, please inform me...
    Last edited by Bladerunner; October 27, 2009 at 08:26 PM.
    Bladerunner
    Koeniglich Preussische Marine
    Sealords Virtual Fleets

Sealords Minimod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=274322
    Sealords Total War Mod: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=246265

Excellent Bladerunner; great to hear from you about this. As for myself, I only use the AUM, and I think the 'mini mod' you referred too, it is called "sl_GCDM_1.0" and I believe just has textures. I wanted to use Rsty's mod, and did have it installed, but every time I even looked at the Steamdock or the Big dockyard, the game crashed, and he has been absent and no updates to his mod are available after 1.5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast