Thread: Eastern Roman Empire

Default Eastern Roman Empire

Alright I think I soon may have found my faction here. Although if you guys don't mind I have some suggestions:

1. Rebellions. This is a recurrent problem in 2 out of the 3 IBFD mods. Half my empire rebels in the first two turns (no joke) and I have to swoop it up with the minimal troops I am left with.

2. My provinces aren't rich enough. Constantinople and Larissa are the only two provinces which have any monetary gain. I suggest making the cities of Antioch, Tarsus, Damascus, and Alexandria have the income of around Larissa's. This has realism, I think, because the Eastern half lived longer because of its inherent wealth.

3. Another faction is needed in the East. I suggest removing the Gaelic tribes (you have around 4 factions in Britain) and putting in either the Armenians or the Arabs. This would add some diversity.

4. More starting troops, and maybe some barbarians closer to home. I am surrounded by rebel factions, no starting threat besides possibly the Sassanids and Ostrogoths.

5. More family members. I suggest a few more govenors, and possibly city militias.

Default Re: Eastern Roman Empire

I like these ideas. In most my campaigns the ere is slaughtered by the ostrogoths and sassiands

Is this the 434 campaign or the 463 campaign?

I played the ERE campaign in 434 on H/H and I was able to avoid any rebellion and even strip most cities of part of their garrisons by a few law buildings and lower taxes (Law buildings have the side effect of reducing corruption, so I always prioritize them in public order buildings). Then I got a ceasefire with the Sassanids, loaded my army onto a fleet, and sailed to Carthage, which was occupied by the Visigoths. The income from Carthage allowed me to build up the empire and bribe any Sassanid invasions after they broke the ceasefire while conquering the rest of coastal North Africa.

There were some public order problems in Egypt thanks to infrastructure lagging behind population, but I managed to hold on to the cities by queuing up a lot of city militas (queued units reduce population, and don't cost anything until they're built) and disbanding them when buildings like an academy came in. (+5% to happiness, +10% to law, cheap, and quick to build - I highly recommend putting these in areas suffering from public order or corruption)
    Last edited by Rogue; October 24, 2009 at 11:43 AM.

463 AD, I may have to try them in 434.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    Is this the 434 campaign or the 463 campaign?

I played the ERE campaign in 434 on H/H and I was able to avoid any rebellion and even strip most cities of part of their garrisons by a few law buildings and lower taxes (Law buildings have the side effect of reducing corruption, so I always prioritize them in public order buildings). Then I got a ceasefire with the Sassanids, loaded my army onto a fleet, and sailed to Carthage, which was occupied by the Visigoths. The income from Carthage allowed me to build up the empire and bribe any Sassanid invasions after they broke the ceasefire while conquering the rest of coastal North Africa.

There were some public order problems in Egypt thanks to infrastructure lagging behind population, but I managed to hold on to the cities by queuing up a lot of city militas and disbanding them when buildings like an academy came in. (+5% to happiness, +10% to law, cheap, and quick to build - I highly recommend putting these in areas suffering from public order or corruption)
    Hi Rogue,
    This is pretty much what I was going to say but in may be different words.
    The bottom line is that you must micro manage the first 8 turns to avoid those rebellions and this means finding which cities need immediate attention and then the construction of buildings, quick law and happiness buildings and through other means as Rogue pointed out. In some ways the ERE is a sleeping monster and once you get the ship steering forward they can become a mighty force.
    The ERE 434AD and 463AD campaigns are similar...one might be slightly harder than the other but if you applied the successful above tactics, then the outcome should be near the same.

-The10thLegion
    The Bulgars spawn in 434AD and the Sassanids and the Huns are powerful foes.
    In the 463AD campaign the Bulgars and the Sassanids can be a challenge but the Huns are a mere shadow of what they once were.
    Last edited by Riothamus; October 24, 2009 at 09:11 AM.

Under the esteemed patronage of Ramon Gonzales y Garcia IB and IB2 Mod