Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is this mod the most active?

Default Why is this mod the most active?

Recently I went back to playing RTW again, and started playing EB, assuming thats the best mode ever created for RTW......

But scrolling these forums I noticed this mod has much more ppl playing it? Why? What makes this mod better than EB? Can someone tell me in a concise manner?

Thanks!

Default Re: Why is this mod the most active?

I dont remember EB well, back when i played both i enjoyed RS much more, so i sticked with it
    Why is this forum more active? Most likely because of the RSII developement

Basically a lot of people liked RS1.5 because of these main things....
    1) the game dynamics are different - it's a somewhat faster paced game than EB
    2) Roman legions
    3) larger scale map
    Those are probably the main reasons. EB is a great mod too - more historically accurate than RS1.5, loads of enhancements like language changes, huge amounts of work going into optimising the experience that each culture brings, and so on.

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

In my opinion RS looks better; the campaign map is bigger and brighter, the battles (with the new 1.6) are nicer looking not to mention the battle AI seems to be improved. Picture wise, EB was rather dull. Although I have to admit, EB's mechanics were exceptional.

You're asking the wrong question, Boris.

The correct question is: Why is this mod the most awesome?

Why is this mod the most AWESOME?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Why is this mod the most AWESOME?

^ A picture is worth a thousand words.

<<Un collègue; un ami.>>

Im sorry if I insult years of hard work but I dont see the uber awesomeness.... The landscape certainly looks good, spread of trees and such but what is trick? Is it the landscapes that make RS awesome?

Lol. I`m sorry cherryfunk, but you sorta deserve the twist of events. You`re one of the senior devs of this team. You can`t make statements like "this mod [is] the most awesome" even if you, understandably, believe it. Any parent loves his child. If the rtw modding section would not be so depopulated right now you could have got into a very long "discussion" with fanboys of other mods. The most/best part imo is strictly relative to the player. As in "the mod that suits one best". Personally whenever I had mod powers I stopped any discussion trying to publicly/objectively conclude which mod is the best, not only because it`s an argument that can`t be won, but because by its very competitive nature is bound to be offensive to some and I`d rather see mods cooperate than compete.

But scrolling these forums I noticed this mod has much more ppl playing it? Why? What makes this mod better than EB? Can someone tell me in a concise manner?
    Well, in my experience the sort of popularity that translates into very active sub-forums is a combination of two factors:
    - an already released mod so that people have what to talk about and maybe even more importantly
    - a new coming version that is constantly previewed via new in game graphics.
    Basically people come to see what`s coming next. It`s that looking forward towards the release combined with individual expectations and hopes of influencing the outcome that keeps people focused. And a sense of being involved in the process. Once the new version is released there will be a boom in activity, but relatively soon afterwords there is the drop. EB has less people visiting them in part because the mod has been released for a relatively long time, people already have it, there are no new previewes on its rtw version and no plans for a new release(for rtw) so there`s less reason to visit the sub-forum. Which btw, doesn`t necessarily mean that less people actually play it. It`s a cycle I`ve seen for all major mods.
    Last edited by florin80; October 20, 2009 at 10:27 AM.

The reason I like the mod would be the trees
    uanime5's Eras total conquest
    a Medieval 2 total war kingdoms mod
    featuring 10 campaigns covering the entire world
    each include different factions, faction start positions, and levels of technology
    Download>Link1 Link2 Link3 Link4 Link5

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

The diplomatic answer would be that much of RS's success comes because it was built on the principles and foundations that mods like EB and RTR laid down when they were in development. Remember that EB was in development before RTW was released and much of what they achieved was breaking new ground.

Actually, we haven't really used the same 'principles' as EB -- the principles of RS are sort of the opposite. RS stresses gameplay over historical accuracy, simplicity over complexity and speed over scripting. We drew much more upon SPQR than EB for the guiding principles of RS.

The diplomatic answer would be that much of RS's success comes because it was built on the principles and foundations that mods like EB and RTR laid down when they were in development. Remember that EB was in development before RTW was released and much of what they achieved was breaking new ground
    Very true

Under patronage of Spirit of Rob; Patron of Century X, Pacco, Cherryfunk, Leif Erikson.

The only thing I'm completely sure of is that RS is the most awesome classic-period mod to me. 'The best', 'the greatest', 'the most awesome' are very subjective descriptions. There is a huge amount of people out there for whom EB is 'the most awesome', 'the greatest' and the 'best' mod ever; and it certainly is for them. So, to determine the absolute best is impossible, in my opinion, as it totally depends on our own likes and dislikes. My two cents.

Art by Joar

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by PSEUDO ROMANUS View Post
    The only thing I'm completely sure of is that RS is the most awesome classic-period mod to me. 'The best', 'the greatest', 'the most awesome' are very subjective descriptions. There is a huge amount of people out there for whom EB is 'the most awesome', 'the greatest' and the 'best' mod ever; and it certainly is for them. So, to determine the absolute best is impossible, in my opinion, as it totally depends on our own likes and dislikes. My two cents.
    Exactly.

Same for florin's post.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Factions, maps (campaign and battles), units, gameplay, epic battles, great community here on twc, new version to be released soon RS has that "something" that makes it enjoyable to the last drop
    Last edited by stanley86; October 20, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
    I'm sittin' here completely surrounded by no beer.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

Looks way better, and moves at a faster pace than EB. It sounds like the TC stumbled upon this mod.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

I prefer EB over this RS 1.5 honestly, but that is since I don't play RTW for just it's battles, but for building an empire, ruling it's daily bussiness, etc etc...still, RSII WILL kick EB of my list, since the reason I like EB so much is because it has the most realistic and expanded unit roster out there, and the whole feel and style of the units is just so....historical. So far the previews of RSII look like they have that atmosphere, too!

I can go on and on, but you will get my point; it's just a matter of personal taste

C-Rob's Avatar Primicerius

Basicaly everything makes this mod better than EB, and RS2 will seal the deal.

Half of that is opinion, the second half is probably fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast