Thread: Revolt against society? Enough is enough!

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Default Revolt against society? Enough is enough!

Hi all!

Sorry but i am angry and make an angry post now. I wanted to dispute and talk about this already a while ago.
    Today I've read about a movie (20th one of the type i guess) which glorifies pointless and sexually motivated violence. In the movie (it is french) some prostitute girls get raped by punks and then they begin a rampage across France. They seduce and kill, torment and humilitate men, later even women, at the end they receive what they been looking for: the trouble. Of course in the end the two girl dies.
    What pisses me really off, that this is the end of a long evolution of irrationaliasm, anti-culture (mass culture is better to say) and idiotism.
    This alone should not annoy me but I've read about dozens of ,,rebells" who write novells, dramas about rape, murder, etc. They show a world being dominated by cruelty and agression. In their works nothing is fine, not a single sunshine does reach the audience or the reader.
    They whine because the world is cruel. But who makes the world to be cruel? They themselves making a propanga of cruelty!
    Their heroes are crazy, use drugs, kill just for fun, and all this without any reason. Rape, drugs and suicide are the only things they recommend. It is art -as they call it. What makes it to be art?
    Artist long enough tried to make new forms of expression. Eventually they came to a conclusion that it is enough to change the form of expression and you made art, even if you have nothing to express. The art of formalism, without any meaning, came to light. Then they stealed the aesthetic of society-critics, and said that this type of art clearly declines the existing society. It is rebellion. But they missed the point. This is no revolt, maybe just a revolt against taste. Their opposition make the opponent only stronger, by making art's content hollow and meaningless. Expression itself loses importance as it loses content, the meaning. Rebellion in itself is pointless. Besides because violence and sexuality are offensive (or could be if presented in such a way) mass-culture industry find it fitting to be sold. It is business, which can strengthen further the society they are waging war against.
    These people always revolt. Revolt against the oppressor, white male chauvinist, patriarchal society. But where is this society? If this society exist how can it be that their works are published? They cannot be rich or political leader? Have they every tried of accomplish these hopes? Or they think they should be elected to office while they continously offend common people? Where do they live? In Disneyland? What they want from democracy? Questions, questions...
    With which weapons do thy revolt?
    With meaningless aggression, defiance of law and human rights, presenting the joy of criminals while they torment the innocent...This is what they call rightful rebellion? Is freedom about making rampage and inflicting pain, just because..just for fun? If a woman is opressed should she kill every shopkeeper who have done her nothing, maybe was even kind with her?
    Revenge on society?
    And I wonder, and check out the lifes of these so called artist...and to my suprise, I found, that if they are marginal people in society, they made theselves to be marginal. Are they poor? Not really. Society misused them? No, most of these artist came from calm families...they made their own problems using drugs, seeking adventure instead of work...
    And they blame society, the men, the ,,white aristocracy" everything else but their own selves.
    Aren't they premature a bit?
    What I think is, that they should visit Iraq or Africa one day. After seeing what is violence, what is a real shot from a real gun, and what is real poverty they could mind their ways.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

who are this "artist" you speak of?
    Under the wing of Nihil - Under my claws; Farnan, Ummon, & Ecclesiastes.

Human beings will be happier — not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie — but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia.
    Kurt Vonnegut

I totaly agree with you, everything tastful is going in the garbage.

MoROmeTe's Avatar For my name is Legion

Rebellion can be tastefull, although I doubt there is taste in what you describe...

In the long run, we are all dead - John Maynard Keynes
    Under the patronage of Lvcivs Vorenvs
    Holding patronage upon the historical tvrcopolier and former patron of the once fallen, risen from the ashes and again fallen RvsskiSoldat

Well, it all comes down to... France, the movie was made in France, hence the French adore this abhorration of taste and good society.

But seriously. I haven't seen what you describe personally, but I can understand your anger with these lazy kids thinking they can do ****, then say its freedom by rebelling. Against what? Their to stupid to come up with a good answer. They have none. And they make others as miserable as them because they haven't clued in as to what reality in this world is.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Ok, i'll show you some examples about what i am talking about, before you say that Im whining about nothing. This topic is about a cultural tendency of meaningless rebelllion. The exact film which is the best example for this widespread tendency is ,,Censor Bypass Removed. -Ardeur directed by a woman named Dependences. But there are dozens of this typ, including Louis and Thelma, Mechanical Orange and Tarantino movies. Of course some of these movies, art products are humorus, some of them are filled with bad or good jokes..but wait a minute!
    They show agression (meaningless agression) as not only justifiable but something which must be not justified! They want us to think that shooting on a human being could be just fun. No, they doesn't show themselves as mere jokes or parodies (except perhaps Tarantino) They decline agression in the world but for example in Kill bill people take out another people's eyeball, a little girl kills accidentaly a fish, and the gengster-father tell us a tale about how cruel the human is, behold, even a little girl loves killing! Then I am sick hearing my college female mates talking about that the heroine should not kill Bill, the whole story has no meaning at all! For me it is beyond joke what Tarantino makes.
    But before you overrun me because of him, I continue, there are writers, dramatist who make a serios and real dangerous work. Already Plato poointed out that bad literature and philosophy makes the soul sick...and we can see it now!
    One of our fine novellist published a work on which there is a picture about him smiling. In the book there are 30 novells. In each one, people torment other people till they ask on their knees praying for a quick death, they skin humans, etc, for eternity. Then the author claimes, this is the world we live in, holocaust...
    (Check out the works of Theodor W. Adorno. He suspected that Becketts works don't decline the alienation in modern society, in fact, they make it only stronger. Sarah Cane, is just worser than Beckett was...and she is very popular. Now check out her life, you will see if she suffered, she suffered because of herself. )
    Holocaust is every day in every country?
    Or maybe they want holocaust because this is the
    1,most agressive thing which makes their art to be popular
    2, their sadistic and unadolescent nature likes sadism, in which case they should visit a bsdm club instead of literature.
    Now c'mon, I am not against freedom of speech and writing, but somewhere we should make a border for humanity! In germany already computer games are censored and this not bad thing because the german people requested it from the governement.
    But today's art is more than dangerous than silly games in which you shot pixel-people! Just think about that austrian man who makes corps of dead human into sculptures, or that woman, who cut the head of cats, rabbits and places on teddy bear bodies....Is it not sick at all?

Morome the Dacian:
    I am agree that rebellion could be tasteful. If it is about real freedom and human values. Like rebellion in 1956 , or some of hippies. but remember, hippies declined agression and war! As well as the democrats who fought for human values from Mahatma Gandhi till the Tien an Men place. They were heroes, these artist-rebells are just..spacecowboys.
    Last edited by Ardeur; August 11, 2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Censor Bypass
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

You shouldn't be angry at the producers. You should understand that it's the consumers' fault.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenic Hoplite
    You shouldn't be angry at the producers. You should understand that it's the consumers' fault.
    I don't think that's true. It's a 50-50 split. People will steadily, over generations, get used to more and more offensive things in media whether they like them or not. Some consumers do encourage this trend, but if producers had some measure of ethics to complement their creativity they could halt it as well.

And as to meaningless rebellions, I haven't seen examples quite as extreme as you're suggesting (besides Kill Bill). But it's not like this stuff hasn't always been around. Think of the Roman Colliseum for God's sake, that was REAL human violence and suffering put on stage, with no morality attached. Edgar Allan Poe wrote about plenty of gruesome things too (not to disparage him, I respect his work). Yes, today's society seems to be moving more unanimously in a downward direction, but that's because at least in America younger generations have been sheltered from real suffering and tragedy. It still exists in the world you know, as you said in reference to Africa, so there's no reason we should be completely oblivious. Becoming too PC just makes us ignorant of real life problems.

That said, the whole "punk" trend among young teens in America does **** me off. However I don't think it's really anyone's fault. There's very little for teenagers right now to do as a collective that will seem very important to them. There's no Hippie movement, no Great War, no slavery (at least here). Where's the outlet for their natural rebelliousness? They have to invent one, and the result is everyone trying to be a "punk", the highest levels of underage alcohol consumption ever, and the media you mention. I think when such people find something more real to channel their energy in to, they become far more reasonable and stop craving this button-pushing entertainment. College is a good place for people to find that...high school is not.

Under the patronage of Last_Crusader.