View Poll Results: What kind of campaign map would you like NTW to have?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Random-Generated (Empire)

24 14.37%
  • Persistent (Rome, M2)

121 72.46%
  • Risk (Shogun, M1)

14 8.38%
  • Why do you even care, you sad person?

8 4.79%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tile based Campaign map. Or at least one that doesn't random generate.

Rt. Hon. Gentleman's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Tile based Campaign map. Or at least one that doesn't random generate.

Does anyone else wish that Empire also had a tile based campaign map? With a new engine, fine, but I do miss the old days of Rome and Medieval 2, where A.) armies would show up where they were supposed to B.) Battle locations felt like a real place, not a roll of the dice, and C.) One could mod the map with a map editor, and create some truly spectacluar locations.

What say you, viz. Napoleon? OK, it's too late to do anything about it, but what would you prefer?

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Default Re: Tile based Campaign map. Or at least one that doesn't random generate.

I love Rome's battle locations
    Roma Surrectum has the best terrain I've ever seen in TW! And it really depends on the location, climate type, season, visibility etc etc
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

Default Re: Tile based Campaign map. Or at least one that doesn't random generate.

RS2 is better than Empire, I promise. I only have the beta (doing the historical battles) but your mind WILL be blown.

Just a quick aside.

i liked medieval total wars system...

Would probably make for a better AI.. it also gets rid of all this stupid raiding with 1 unit armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    i liked medieval total wars system...

Would probably make for a better AI.. it also gets rid of all this stupid raiding with 1 unit armies.
    Why raid with a full army, when the player neglects to protect his towns?

eric2min's Avatar Ducenarius

sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by random generated? empires map seemed pretty similar to med 2 and rome

ssmarine's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by eric2min View Post
    sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by random generated? empires map seemed pretty similar to med 2 and rome
    He means they arent based on the terrain of the GC map as much as they were in RTW or MTW2. For example, if you fight near a village, bridge, or a road in ETW they will be present in the battle. But in Rome, if you put your army in a wooded area or on a hill you would recieve the tactical advantage on the battle map of being in the woods/on the hill. In ETW hills and woods are just randomly placed around the battlefield and have nothing to do with the grand map. The present system takes away a lot of the GC manuevering strategy.

Another thing, is in RTW if you fought near a historical monument or a coast with a fleet nearby you would see all of these things in the distance. Doesnt have any strategic value to the game but it was cool as hell.

Oh, and I vote to go back to the Rome style maps. The new campaign map has many flaws to it besides the ones listed.

D.B. Cooper's Avatar Tribunus

I liked that feature in Rome/Med2. There were several times I would win otherwise impossible field battles by spotting some mountains on the campaign map and lodging my army up there.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2min View Post
    No. If you fought a battle on the same place in Rome or Med2, the battlefield would also be the same, and would reflest the map appearance. In ETW, each time you start a battle, the terrain is generated completely randomly, usually without reference to the environs at all!

Orko's Avatar Praeses

Tile based. The new system in empire is horibble. I can't bring armies together, I can only atack a combined enemy force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
    Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

i like the increased area of control and you can intercept them, but other than that i don't really care.
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

Quote Originally Posted by Maizel View Post
    Why raid with a full army, when the player neglects to protect his towns?
    because on certain difficulties it's basically impossible to protect all of your towns without opening yourself up to the enemy completely...

Also some regions are just too large to take your units to defend your towns.

I don't mind raiding... but they can just run around from slot to slot burning them down with a single unit, and then run away because they have a ton of movement points.

Razor's Avatar Licenced to insult

Yep, bring back the tile based map!

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Cursisanafou View Post
    because on certain difficulties it's basically impossible to protect all of your towns without opening yourself up to the enemy completely...

Also some regions are just too large to take your units to defend your towns.

I don't mind raiding... but they can just run around from slot to slot burning them down with a single unit, and then run away because they have a ton of movement points.
    well yeah that what raiding is lol, and people say the AI is bad maybe its just the people don't understand tactics
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

Quote Originally Posted by Dewy View Post
    well yeah that what raiding is lol, and people say the AI is bad maybe its just the people don't understand tactics
    It's a turn based game.

Napoleon has got to be a tile based map. Becuase in ETW, I had no idea what the field would be like. The tile system was great and randomly generated maps are boring. If if each tile map is properly created then it would be perfect! I realy want CA to add this feature. Can we get someone here to report on this this, as it should be one of their biggest conserns under the AI and gameplay. Juck Lusted, can anyone invite him to comment on this, I will be sadly disapointed if the game is not played like this! I just hope it isn't too late! We'll maybe they can have it added in through a patch. HAHA
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

ETW campaign map doesn't equal random generated battle maps...there's just some bugs in Warscape that makes it so. Fix the bugs, but keep the map.

I'm sick and tired of the tile map myself.

Quote Originally Posted by aeoleron9 View Post
    ETW campaign map doesn't equal random generated battle maps...there's just some bugs in Warscape that makes it so. Fix the bugs, but keep the map.

I'm sick and tired of the tile map myself.
    I Agree

this is the perfect strategic map for napoleon totalwar a strategic map for men,not suitable for children.

Last edited by Anibal at portas; October 20, 2009 at 07:19 AM.

Well... the results are pretty obvious

I'm worried about what nice feature CA will remove this time. Let alone bring back some from MTW2/Kingdoms. Prisoners, conquered cities/countries options, battlefields based on campaign map positions, historical battle markers. Seriously, who's the brilliant mind that takes out these things that made TW TW

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast