Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1.6a: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1.6: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by coinich View Post
    I don't think so; I've run battles before, and the game was only open for less than 5 minutes.
    Same here. 1.5 ran perfectly. I don't think 1.6 should overheat my video card more.

Quote Originally Posted by ray243 View Post
    Same with me.

I think it could be a ram issue.
    Shouldn't be a RAM issue, too. I've run several mods without problems, as I pointed out, RS 1.5 was one of them.

I think my issues are not mod-related, though. I've started to get these strange crashes after fighting 2-3 battles on other mods, too. I've recently installed a fresh Windows XP, maybe there's something wrong there. Tried experimenting with drivers and what not. My best guess is a corrupt (or partial) RTW/BI/Alex install, which I did, but it may be sloppy. I'll check it out.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Unfortunately, I have also had cases where an RTW installation I was using very reliably all of a sudden started crashing without any reason. Making a new copy of the RTW directory and reinstalling the mod (and then copying my saved games to it) fixed the issue. Also, a 'fresh' install of RTW is not 'always' a sure bet that everything is 'ok'. I've had new installs from CD be bad as well. That's why I have a copy of RTW and RTW\BI saved elsewhere...both of which I KNOW work great.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Antoninus Pius View Post
    I do have one minor issue that I didn't have with 1.5. It seems that my copy of 1.6 doesn't want to recognize the preferences.txt file, or at least parts of it. I have it set to turn off the banners and green arrows, but they do not go away in game. What do you guys think is going on? If it matters, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks in advance.
    What have you done with UAC? If you install a game to the 'protected' folder (c:\program files (x86)) any changes you make go to your 'virtual store' - so it's that you need to change. With Vista you could run %appdata% from the run dialog box to see the start of the folder path for the virtual store.

Post details of where you've installed the game to and which folder contains the files that you are changing the preferences.txt in.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

It installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War. The preferences.txt file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\preferences.
    The Harlem shake? Is that something you get at Dairy Queen?

Citizen

It installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War. The preferences.txt file is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\preferences.
    While there is a prefernces.txt file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Activision\Rome - Total War\preferences" that won't be the one used in-game. The one in-game will be in your 'virtual store' - as I posted before you can find a high level folder for this by running %appdata% and then follow the paths down to the save.

Have a read of the first and last links in the first post in this thread: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167821

Although these are for Vista my understanding is that Windows 7 still 'protects' the named folder.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

That fixed it! Thanks, Brusilov!
    The Harlem shake? Is that something you get at Dairy Queen?

After Windows 7 install, I had to reinstall RTW/BI and then RS 1.6; however, every time I want to make some changes, e.g. preference file, I get a message: " Access denied".

How can I go around this? This is very annoying.

Citizen

That fixed it! Thanks, Brusilov!
    No problems - enjoy the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridericus Rex View Post
    After Windows 7 install, I had to reinstall RTW/BI and then RS 1.6; however, every time I want to make some changes, e.g. preference file, I get a message: " Access denied".

How can I go around this? This is very annoying.
    It's either that you don't have the right permissions on the folder / file. It may well be set up as 'read-only'. To check this right click the object (do the folder and then the file) and select properties. If they are 'read-only' uncheck that box.

The other thing may be that the account you are using may not have permission to make the changes. Are you using the administrator account or does the account you are using have administrator rights?

That fine, I tried that (removing "read-only") - however, in Windows 7, I need the "Creators" permission to do this. Crappy Windows 7 does not allow a way around it. I am the Administrator on the computer.
    In Windows XP it was easier.
    I may not know how to change this in W7 with their very complex setup - there are now attributes and objects and subgroups and subgroups of the subgroups. I should not have changed.

I kindly ask the Creator of RS1.6 to download a version without the files in "read-only".
    Last edited by Fridericus Rex; November 10, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

We do not touch the preferences.txt file.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Sqvid - please read the installation instructions. The Creator ask us to change the "unit_shader" and I, for one, do not like "rebellions" set on 30 in the strat file. I prefer 99.

The unit shaders is part of the ingame video options. You don`t need to edit a text file yourself for that.

Taien's Avatar Foederatus

Hmm,i too downloaded 1.6 from Filefront and got an error during instalation. I tried twice. First time,error was with some file that mentions clouds and I accidentaly clicked "abort".
    Seccond time it was with an file that was named something like MMHorse. I just clicked "retry" and it installed it correctly (at least i hope it did).

Patrician

Windows Vista......Windows 7......do NOT install RTW into the Program Files folder. In fact, I wouldn't install ANY games there, as it is (and remains in Windows7) a 'protected' folder where Windows 'visualizes' many settings that can't necessarily BE visualized and still work with some games.

Install RTW into a folder named 'Games' you create yourself, and Windows won't mess with it.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

dvk901 - good point. I finally got it to work within the Program folder.
    However, I will move everything into a separate folder in C:\ as you suggested.

I hope this will help.

Would it be possible, to include some more battle sounds? for example, the sound that shields make when crashing togheter. Also a little bit more Dust would look nice.
    "If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you can not do that, then perhaps the men does not deserve to die. [...] A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."
    Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell

Patrician

In answer to the first question....no. There is no 'software mechanism' in the game for adding additional sounds (unfortunately).

As for dust, yes, it is possible and has been done in RS2.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Hello guys!
    i've problem with RS1.6

During the battle my archer, peltast and militia cavalry have infinite arrows!
    and i can't modify in any case the formation of my units

SOMEONE CAN HELP ME?
    TY

Tesla's Avatar Senator

you need to set UNLIMITED_AMMO: FALSE in your preferences file

as for your formations, do you mean how they start out on the battlefield? or you can't move them around before starting a battle?

Check your preferences file for this line:
    LIMITED_AMMO:TRUE
    If it reads false change it.

I don't understand what you're talking about with the formations.