Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1.6a: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Tesla's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1.6: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    The AI in RTW does know how to use the landscape to it's advantage
    In my recent campaign the Greeks almost got 1/4 of their army in my back... I had taken my position on a small hill, while the Greeks were marching toward me, now they spread out in a HUGE line and while I was looking what units they had some units on their flank stopped and hid. (which I noticed later on)

once the battle commenced i wrapped my phalanx around them and to my suprise 5 units of sword hoplites come charging from 'nowhere' in the end I managed a victory, but indeed there is quite an improvement

oh and I use alex.exe, maybe that's part of it too?

ferretboy's Avatar Foederatus

Thank you for this Great mod

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Thanks for playing it.

And yes Alex.exe might have improved it a bit.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

I have to echo this perceived improvement in the battle AI. I'm sure the new terrain has everything to do with it. My last battle had me chasing rebels in a cisalpine pass, and when I finally had them in a fairly good position, they suddenly launched an attack at my still wheeling flank, dropping out of the surrounding heights with a couple previously hidden units. I was frustrated at first, but realized that this is EXACTLY the kind of challenge I want.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I fought a battle in RS2, of course using the greatly enhanced terrain, where I actually defeated an army 'initially' and they set off running. The result was an unorganized free for all of my units chasing them...which, normally, would result in them leaving the battlefield in a route. But INSTEAD, they ran over hills and hid units all over the place....especially cavalry and missile units...and ambushed the pursuers!! I ended up with many of their units BEHIND mine chasing ME!! Now that is something I have never seen in RTW. I still won the battle, but it was no pushover and I had a lot more losses than I thought I would.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

This might not be the most excellent place to ask a question like this one but I give it a try since the only place I can go to with any questions seems to be here.

I've installed RTW and BI. Now, it's time for Alexander to be installed. However, I get a message when trying to install Alexander what tells me that there is "No prior installation of Rome - Total War was found." Hereafter, I can only stop the installation. What the hell is going wrong? I might also tell you that I installed RTW and BI not in the map Program Files but in a selfmade map on C (let's say right besides the map Program Files) for it was suggested here, on this forum, since I play on Vista. Can somebody help me out of this?

Hunterbear's Avatar Civis

First of all, props to all of the RS team for 1.6. Sorry to here the loss of your teammate Calvin.

The beautiful terrain has added an extra dimension to the battles now and I can also add that the AI react much better on the new terra firma.

I've been playing RS for a long time and look forward to the eventual release of RS 2.0 but I had a few questions.

I haven't played as the Romans since the vanilla days (I know boo and hiss from the Rome fanboys). In all the previous RS iterations, I've read all the great AAR's from other players and chose other factions for a campaign (mainly Carthage - I know Rome's mortal enemies) so I'm a little unfamiliar with these new Roman units.

For RS 1.6 I decided to give Rome a try on a new campaign to see what they are like now.

1. Before the Marian reform kicked in I had Roman Light Infantry as town watch (much better than weak vanilla town watch), but now the Marian reforms kicked in and I have the new empire legionary units. I need to garrison newly captured cities so my armies can move on, but it seems a pity to use the cohort and stick them with garrison duty when their description makes them sound every bit as good as Legionary soldiers and are better at serving with the Legion. I just hate to have to waste good soldiers for guard duty.

What units after the Marion reforms would be suitable for town watch duty? Would recruiting a Proconsul with his attached bodyguard unit be sufficient? Is there a cheap Merc unit that would fill the role nicely?

2. Now that the Marion reform has kicked in for me, what would be the typical makeup of the new Roman legion from a given city that has legionary soldiers to recruit? What units and how many?

And what should happen to all my 'old' Republic legions?

Thanks for any help on these quick questions.

I noticed one thing during gameplay that I don't know if its because of the terrain or not. During battles, my cavalry will charge when ordered to, but after the initial hit to whatever unit they are attacking, they don't seem too active to keep attacking and finishing off the attack. Even when attacking routing units, they charge, make initial hit and then usually stop or just walk behind the unit I ordered them to chase down and destroy. In RS 1.5 my cavalry never had that problem so I am just wondering if this affect was noticed by anyone else and if it could be because of the new terrain (which I love).

Thank you RS Team!

Thanks for replying Beetlecat. I will check that next time.
    Last edited by Hunterbear; November 07, 2009 at 02:00 PM.

Huter:

something that comes to mind for your last question is to be sure and check the default defend stance of the cav units. They usually start with defend on. This helps keep them from chasing fleeing units directly into enemy lines, but it also causes the behavior you describe.

@ youdig66 Are you choosing the right folder to install Alexander? Since you change your RTW install from the "normal" folder, you would have to change the path for your Alex install.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by youdig66 View Post
    This might not be the most excellent place to ask a question like this one but I give it a try since the only place I can go to with any questions seems to be here.

I've installed RTW and BI. Now, it's time for Alexander to be installed. However, I get a message when trying to install Alexander what tells me that there is "No prior installation of Rome - Total War was found." Hereafter, I can only stop the installation. What the hell is going wrong? I might also tell you that I installed RTW and BI not in the map Program Files but in a selfmade map on C (let's say right besides the map Program Files) for it was suggested here, on this forum, since I play on Vista. Can somebody help me out of this?
    When you install Alexander does it ask you for a path to install the game to? I think it may know from the Windows registry where the game was installed to.

I know on the system I had with Vista (it's in pieces at the moment) I created a different folder, installed RTW, RTW BI and then RTW Alexander to the same place.

Where did you get your games from? Are they all from disc or are there some downloads in there?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Icon9 Re: Roma Surrectum 1.6: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion Thread

Guys I have a problem with roma surrectum and patched to 1.5 rome total war.when i double click the rs icon it has a problem and it writes Script Error in data/descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt at line 7, column 1
    Expecting reading 'min_light_intensity'.
    PLEASE HELP

So what is Roma Surrectum? I'm looking for a mod that improves Vanilla greatly (Battle ai/Campaign Ai and units wise) Making everything a bit harder by making it more realistic, but still keeping the huge world and diversity. Can I find that in RS? What divides it from Rtr for example?

Well with RS 1.6 you do get all of what you asked and a lot more than you might think. the new terrain in RS 1.6 is probably the best of all mods(RS2 will be miles better). The map is huge so you'll have to fight more field battles unlike most mods i have played so there's little constant siege battles. 35 different named legions,many unique hoplites like syacuseian hoplites etc. prob the biggest diffence between RS 1.6 and RTR is Historical accuracy which RTR is better at. AI depeneds on your exe RTW->BI->ALEX i resently got alex and with the new terrain im having the most challenging campaigns that ive ever had playing any mod. And also RS 1.6 is ment to be played on hard/hard or hard/Very hard so it will be a challange. And here are some pics for your you. These are from my up coming Post empires Update.

A section of greece

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And a action pic
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

action pic with unique hoplites

u can also click the link in my sig to look at my RS1.6 slide show which has other battle pics of Germans more Macedonian s and Romans
    Last edited by Hannibulluis Cullis; November 07, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    LIVE WITH HONOUR DIE IN PAIN -Retired freelancer pilot and clan leader [HFU]Fianna
    FavouriteFactions/1. Armenia/2.Carthage/3.Dacia/4.Pergamum

Gah, CTD as Getae. No obvious cause, but it is fought at a watchtower (I'm fighting some rebels). No message, even though I have -show_err done.

I also had a CTD, as Romans. No message, no obvious cause for the crash. Simply loading the battle and then it occured.

Could be an over heating graphics card happens to me some times.
    LIVE WITH HONOUR DIE IN PAIN -Retired freelancer pilot and clan leader [HFU]Fianna
    FavouriteFactions/1. Armenia/2.Carthage/3.Dacia/4.Pergamum

Thanks Hannibulluis Cullis,

I'll try 1.6 asap and 2.0 later. Lovely pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibulluis Cullis View Post
    Could be an over heating graphics card happens to me some times.
    I don't think so; I've run battles before, and the game was only open for less than 5 minutes.

Thank you Roma Surrectum team for all you've done/are doing! I just installed 1.6 and I really like the new battlefield details; they add so much more to the game.

I do have one minor issue that I didn't have with 1.5. It seems that my copy of 1.6 doesn't want to recognize the preferences.txt file, or at least parts of it. I have it set to turn off the banners and green arrows, but they do not go away in game. What do you guys think is going on? If it matters, I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. Thanks in advance.
    The Harlem shake? Is that something you get at Dairy Queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius-Augustus View Post
    I also had a CTD, as Romans. No message, no obvious cause for the crash. Simply loading the battle and then it occured.
    Same with me.

I think it could be a ram issue.