Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1.6a: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1.6: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    In your original post you've stated that you downloaded RTW Gold. From where did you download it?

When you refer to 1.6 I presume you are referring to RS1.6 rather than the RTW BI 1.6 patch?

In order to play mods using the Alexander exe you need to include the -noalexander switch. So, the shortcut target that I used to play RS1.5c with RTW Alexander looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Roma Surrectum 1.5c\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -nm -show_err -mod -noalexander

You can always take a screenshot of the 'active window' by using CTRL+ALT+PrintScreen and then paste into Paint and then use a host to hold the image. Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) and Imageshack (www.imageshack.us) are popular. I use both - Photobucket is good because I can organize my images into albums (so they can be found again) while Imageshack can store images at high resolutions.
    Sorry for the poor lingo. I meant I installed the Gold Edition, and yes i meant RS 1.6. So you installed it into program files? I heard this causes problems down the road, is that true? Because I was attempting to use the folder I created, but if the other way is easy/better . . .

Edit: I guess the main problem here is that I can't seem to find the exe when setting up the instal for RS. They're in the folder, they just don't seem to show up. I'll try and post a screenshot.

Alright

Thanks for the help in advance, I can't seem to get it.
    Last edited by Abreas; October 22, 2009 at 06:28 PM.

Souka's Avatar Semisalis

I'm wondering if you could upload the files included in the installer and pack it into a rar file, so i can extract it into the rtw folder without hazzling with the installer. Getting the current error when trying to install with either filefront/megaupload installer onto Alex:

(E:\¤Inst Games\RTW\Roma Surrectum 1.6\Data\descr_formations_ai.txt

Acces violation at address 75E21674 in module "USP10.dll" Read of address 00100000.)

Running with win7 no idea if thats what causing this, and no it's no rookie mistake like firewall/uac.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    You're likely running vista and are running into problems with the virtual store, search in the m2tw technical help there's a thread dedicated to getting things working vista.

Couldnt find the post

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Its the first sticky in the M2TW Technical Help Forum.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by bohema View Post
    Couldnt find the post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sqυιd View Post
    Its the first sticky in the M2TW Technical Help Forum.
    An alternate place to find how to use Vista can be found in the RTR part of this forum. Read the first and last links (and follow the links in them) in the following post: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=167821

I did this before I started to use Vista and had no problems with my install.

The only thing I changed was to install into a folder other than "c:\program files (x86)" as this folder is 'protected' with Vista. (Any changes to files in there go into the 'virtual store' - so if you install the game elsewhere then this does not happen.)

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Abreas View Post
    Sorry for the poor lingo. I meant I installed the Gold Edition, and yes i meant RS 1.6. So you installed it into program files? I heard this causes problems down the road, is that true? Because I was attempting to use the folder I created, but if the other way is easy/better . . .

Edit: I guess the main problem here is that I can't seem to find the exe when setting up the instal for RS. They're in the folder, they just don't seem to show up. I'll try and post a screenshot.

Alright
    Thanks for the help in advance, I can't seem to get it.
    Did you install RTW and/or create the new folder on your desktop? I think that's the first mistake.

Are you using Vista (it looks like it)? Vista is the only OP that has a problem with installs into the "c:\program files (x86)" folder - the way around this is mentioned in my previous post.

So, install RTW into a folder. With my Vista install I created a similarly named folder on a different drive. If you don't have a different drive just create a folder "C:\RTW" and install the game to there.

I suggest that you launch the RTW and RTW Alexander games from that folder to 'validate' the install.

Once you know that is working simply take a copy of the "C:\RTW\Rome - Total War" folder and make a second copy called "C:\RTW\RS1.6" - install the mod to there.

The shortcuts will be set up by the installer - my understanding is that they will be set up for RTW and RTW Alex (if present).

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Brusilov View Post
    Once you know that is working simply take a copy of the "C:\RTW\Rome - Total War" folder and make a second copy called "C:\RTW\RS1.6" - install the mod to there.

The shortcuts will be set up by the installer - my understanding is that they will be set up for RTW and RTW Alex (if present).
    I have had problems with renaming the folder too early, I would suggest doing it like this:

1. Patch to 1.5/1.6 for vanilla/BI (note, I don't mean RS 1.6, I mean the RTW patch), or whatever level Alex needs.
    2. Verify that Vanilla/BI/Alexander (which ever you are on) works.
    3. Take a copy of the directory and rename the copy something like "Rome - Total War Clean". You will have two folders, "Rome - Total War" and "Rome - Total War Clean".
    4. Install RS 1.6 into the "Rome - Total War" folder, it is where it expects to go anyway.
    5. Check this works as RS 1.6.
    6. Rename this folder to something like "Rome - RS1.6" or whatever works for you.
    7. Update the shortcut to point to this directory.

You should end up with two folders, "Rome - Total War Clean" and "Rome - RS1.6". When you come to install RS II or another mod just copy the "Rome - Total War Clean" folder to "Rome - Total War" and install it there and then rename it as above. Hey disk space is cheap these days - you can get a 500GB drive for not too much now, even 1TB disks are not hugely expensive any more.

This is the same as what Brusilov has said anyway, and definitely create a new folder on a different drive or a new folder such as C:\Games\RTW or however works for you. Just make sure things work and then rename the folder, it's easier to rename after you know things work rather than renaming then trying to install IMO (well to be honest, based on experience of installing incorrectly in the past )

Thanks for the help guys. Shame I have no time this weekend, but I'll try that out.

I'm having much more fun than I should with the Senate campaign. It's been a million years since I've played vanilla so I'm assuming that I'll eventually need to take on all those VE Legionary armies... yikes! Anybody played long enough to notice if there's any problem having non-roman factions competing for popularity? It was a weird mini-game to begin with, but adds an interesting distraction.

Are the reforms rules still in place as per the cities/palaces required? So if SPQR has an imperial palace by the time I take it, it won't trigger them, right?

Does anyone find it odd that the barbarian "light spear infantry" unit, with trousers and a bare chest has 5 armor, while a militia hoplite with his tunic, helmet and greaves has 1 armor?

I'm sure there are some other "armored" units that don't have actual armor.

Its similarly funny to see units with no shields have shield values of 6+ ... (a hoplite has between 8 and 10 shield value, usually)

alavaria: does the spear unit have a shield? -- though it does seem weird.

Yeah, he has a shield (of value 5). My militia hoplite has an even larger one (of value 8) though.

Libertus

I was fighting a battle, and had not allowed the computer to bring in the reinforcements because i thought it would waste them. However, the enemy retreated off the battle map into my reinforcements waiting to get in, and then proceeded to slaughter them. When the battle ended, i couldn't tell if I had actually lost men, becauze it said i hadn't, but when i looked at my army it seemed smaller. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what the result has been.

Zorgh's Avatar Foederatus

Hi can someone help me with the land-bridge?
    I like to have the land bridge from spain to africa removed.
    I expect great new things in this mod

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by d010060002 View Post
    I was fighting a battle, and had not allowed the computer to bring in the reinforcements because i thought it would waste them. However, the enemy retreated off the battle map into my reinforcements waiting to get in, and then proceeded to slaughter them. When the battle ended, i couldn't tell if I had actually lost men, becauze it said i hadn't, but when i looked at my army it seemed smaller. I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and what the result has been.
    Yes it has happened to me, they (Gauls I think), ended up running into a much smaller force of mine, but they were slaughtered, my army was fine. I was particularly annoyed as I sent my army in two parts around a large rocky formation to get the Gauls from two sides and the buggers ran away and died at the hands of my other 3/4 stack instead.

I had this happen once, but the other way around.

The AI army maneuvered backwards from me, until they were near the map edge. Then it "realized" there was another army there and refused to back off anymore. When I pressed them a little, the AI went nuts and charged everyone into my front line.

I had units waiting to shoot them on my left flank. Everyone died to slinger rocks They piled up on my line troops and got shot from the side.

I think I've had an enemy general run off the map into reinforcements and die. Heh

I still dont understand, I have two shortcuts for RS, one with BI. Which exe should I use? Both exe share the same Data files (the one in main folder)? What is the difference?

Anyone can make a clear description of this?
    Last edited by afp2; October 26, 2009 at 08:27 AM.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Its mainly a difference in AI. The AI of the three exe is generally agreed to be as follows RTW < BI < Alex. In other words RTW has the worst AI, then BI, then Alex has the best.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

I just registered here. Its been a long time since I posted. I have been enjoying 1.5 and I love 1.6 environment. However....

What is going on with the economic system? I was just humming along building my empire then something EXTREMELY weird happen.. I will take one city as an example

Rome. It was +4400 then I built the building called "cities" and the income went from +4400 to +770 .

I thought it was a fluke, so when other cities built the same building the same thing happend. I had over 60 cities and the total income plummited. I thought well maybe it was something to do with the install so i uninstalled everything. rebooted. reinstalled rtw vanilla, then bi, then alexander, then patch to 1.5 then roma surrectum 1.6. i started a new campaign and decided to cheat to see if that fixed it. so i added population to the cities and process_cq them till they built. i left the building "cities" unbuild and their income was hi. then i build that building and income dropped by around 70% each. Please explain what has happened or is this supposed to be normal?? If so then im not going to build that building LOL

@endel:

well, you've sort of solved your own problem. Much like that joke about going to the doctor and saying "it hurts when I do this..." and the doctor says "well, don't do that!"

the building is called "Cities?" Does it have any other effects description? Maybe it's giving some other huge bonus elsewhere in exchange for the reduced income.

Is it the urban planning building? or suburbs?