Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Roma Surrectum 1.6a: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion

Default Re: Roma Surrectum 1.6: Questions, Suggestions & Discussion Thread

thx im stupid i just relaised its rs 1.6

Varyag's Avatar Libertus

Been a big player of RS 1.5 and when I saw this battlefield enhancement mod along with the Provincial Campaign I had to try it out.

Well, it's been fantastic. I've been picking my battles (guided by the Senate's wishes of course) against the Carthaginians and Syracusans, meanwhile trying to deal with the Epiriot threat in southern Italy. I managed to take Tarentum and kill Pyrrhus while their main field army was busy capturing and securing Cannae from the rebels.

Unwilling to attack their main army (filled with elephants and elite phalanxes), I let them sit in Cannae, until they decided to make a roll of the dice and take Capua from me. My only garrison was an Early General and a Roman Governor-General, as the rest of my armies were busy against Syracuse. While the Epiriots were on approach, an entire legion from the senatorial faction just happened to move adjacent to the city to dispel a band of rebels.

Once the enemy army arrived, I made an attack with my two generals and merely watched as the massive senate army, pulled in as reinforcements, duked it out with the Epiriot force.

The battle was very exciting, as I had my Early General actually take part in more than one legionary cavalry attack against the enemy host's left flank, while my Governor General shouted encouragements from behind the VE Legionaries' center.

At one point the senatorial captain in charge of the army was killed, and to ensure the total rout of Epirus, I sent my Governor-General charging forward with some cohorts that were swarming the last elite phalanx.

It was one of the coolest battles I've ever played, because it felt like my generals were guest officers observing another's command, and assisting when things started to look hairy. Not to mention it also allowed me to secure Roma's hold over the rest of Italy.

Outstanding campaign, that 1.6 Provincial. Not to mention the new terrain maps and the grass.

Also, those Syracusans keep making well-reinforced amphibious landings in central Italy, its one of the prime reasons I've decided to eliminate them .

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

I`ve installed this today over a copy of RS 1.5 (with the no free peoples mod)and so far it seems to be working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by johnswan View Post
    I`ve installed this today over a copy of RS 1.5 (with the no free peoples mod)and so far it seems to be working fine.
    playing with fire, there!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Which faction made place for the Senate? At first I thought Syracuse or Bosphorans, but in custom battle I saw they were still there...
    None, RS 1.0-1.5 had a spare faction slot. (the old senate wasn't fully removed)
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Tesla's Avatar Senator

ah thnx apple

I'm wondering - some hoplites have swords, others only have their spears. I think that the spears may be advantageous for them, as it seems to have a little bit of "range", and in some cases, the sword has a lower Attack rating, so much so that the spear may be more effective - even against infantry!

Is there a reason some hoplites (eg: Pergamian/Syracusean) don't have swords? Also, does anyone think that giving the militia hoplite a dagger would be interesting? Because it's odd to see them all fan out in a big brawl, but still using their spears as though in a phalanx.

-------------------
    Also, I'm assuming that the EDU has been filled to the limit, so to mod in another unit, I'll have to remove one - is this right? I'm thinking about adding an overhand "hoplite" and a pike "hoplite" using essentially the same soldier in the current Greek roster (the phalanx hoplite). Possibly giving Syracuse a different "militia hoplite" called the "levy hoplite" that is cheaper, but even worse in combat! (Possibly because I want to spam them >__> and see how it feels to lose tons of men every battle). Changing some other things too, possibly.

I could just sneak out a few legion units (the AI doesn't get that far, usually) T___T since it would be kind of a Syracuse-faction mod. Since RS is not modfoldered, I guess it is possible to have a modfolder of RS ^___^.

I could try to get Rome to spam legions like nothing else ^___^ More Romani to kill! Drop tax and trade bonuses - no more money! (Ok, the last is me being sadistic)

Also, since only Sicilian settlements get tax bonuses for the Syracuse faction, and only Syracuse itself has gold within that group, it is possible to isolate Syracuse specifically, to make it a rich settlement. Then I guess Sicily in general would be productive -> and everything else is just rather bad (a large trade penalty, for example)
    Last edited by Alavaria; October 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM.

Zorgh's Avatar Foederatus

I have one question how , and where can i remove the land bridge, from Spain to Africa ?

I dont want to see the Iberian AI in Africe after only 25 years.. best not at all.
    I change a few things to make it better.
    I changed 2 citys.. the new celtic (gaul) city most south.. is now a Free city.
    And the reason for that is. that the rebel armys from the west coast of France will al ways move there in the start if gaul control it.. with make 2 citys on the west coast easy pick for Ibearia..
    Gaul will use 15 years just to fight the 3-4 stack rebel army in there land.
    By then Iberia have taken the 2 citys in the west coast + 2 in Spain , even kicked Carthago out.
    And this all becourse they was able to get land they never had.

So now after i changed it , the rebel armys stay in there own land.
    And are to strong for Iberia.
    So they now fight in Spain.

The Celtic (Gaul) got instead the city to the east, near the mountens.

I testet it a few times. Gaul will now be able to have a chance to take the northern Italy.
    My test say they have a 33% chance to take 2 citys In north Italy before the Romans get the rebels killed.

Carthago is still to weak in Spain.

It does take much longer for Ibearia to kick them out..
    But still they do it every time.

So ill look into that now.

Also a few things that make the 1 city (Greek nation) on sicillin take out all other there in just 15 years most be look`ed into.

I guess just remove a few things that make them get cash in the start.
    Will help that.

The main reason i also post this info is.. i realy dont understand how it can be version 1.6
    And no body ever notis, that Iberia took west of france + All iberia and moved on to total destroy Cathago in Africa also..

I let it run 10 times. and it happen every time.. just a few years diff..

But other then that a great mod..
    The units very good..
    And the new things just added WOW..

PS: please dont for get what my question was
    I expect great new things in this mod

Im confused by alot of what you wrote, but anyway. They dont do that every time trust me.

Also, I'm assuming that the EDU has been filled to the limit, so to mod in another unit, I'll have to remove one - is this right? I'm thinking about adding an overhand "hoplite" and a pike "hoplite" using essentially the same soldier in the current Greek roster (the phalanx hoplite). Possibly giving Syracuse a different "militia hoplite" called the "levy hoplite" that is cheaper, but even worse in combat! (Possibly because I want to spam them >__> and see how it feels to lose tons of men every battle). Changing some other things too, possibly.

I could just sneak out a few legion units (the AI doesn't get that far, usually) T___T since it would be kind of a Syracuse-faction mod. Since RS is not modfoldered, I guess it is possible to have a modfolder of RS ^___^.

I could try to get Rome to spam legions like nothing else ^___^ More Romani to kill! Drop tax and trade bonuses - no more money! (Ok, the last is me being sadistic)

Also, since only Sicilian settlements get tax bonuses for the Syracuse faction, and only Syracuse itself has gold within that group, it is possible to isolate Syracuse specifically, to make it a rich settlement. Then I guess Sicily in general would be productive -> and everything else is just rather bad (a large trade penalty, for example)
    So far, I've added ~8 custom units and it hasn't maxed out the EDU.

<<Un collègue; un ami.>>

... huh, what do you know. Weird. 8 is plenty, thanks for the info!

I might still remove some legions anyway. Rome won't expand very far under my watch ^__^

I had a question about instalation . . so here we go

I thought I would try to download Rome Gold Edition into a folder i created on my desktop since its been suggested not to use Program Files. So I did and they both worked. Then I tried to download 1.6, went to the folder I had made, but the Rome exe was not shown, only the Alaxander exe, so I chose that. When it was done I tried to open RS but a message poped up and said "shortcut cannot be found" windows will search bla bla.

I tried the whole porcess again and the same thing happened. Eventualy i would try to open RS and it would just open the vanilla.

I know there is a problem with the destination I downloaded into but I'm not sure what to do. This is the first time I've tried a seperate folder.

PS: sorry for the noobness

Wait, so your Rome Gold has Alexander? I have Rome Gold Edition and it does not have Alexander. If you only have BI/RTW, you should use a shortcut that points to that exe.

Can you show me a screenshot the folder where your RS is (showing the path as well - the "address bar") and the properties of the shortcut (especially the "Target" or "Path")?

I will be back in about half an hour or so and will see if I can find the problem.

Hi,

I have RTW Gold Edition Ver. 1.5, (purchased from steam). I've tried several times to download and install Roma Surrectum 1.6 following the instructions to the letter but with no success... It's quite frustrating... It seems to go through the installation just fine and even finishes the installation. However, when I go to play it I get an error saying something to the affect of, "cannot find RomeTW.exe". Please... can anyone help!? Thank you in advance.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Wait, so your Rome Gold has Alexander? I have Rome Gold Edition and it does not have Alexander. If you only have BI/RTW, you should use a shortcut that points to that exe.
    Rome Gold II has RTW and RTW Alexander on separate discs - but no RTW BI....

Quote Originally Posted by hakmann7384 View Post
    Hi,
    I have RTW Gold Edition Ver. 1.5, (purchased from steam). I've tried several times to download and install Roma Surrectum 1.6 following the instructions to the letter but with no success... It's quite frustrating... It seems to go through the installation just fine and even finishes the installation. However, when I go to play it I get an error saying something to the affect of, "cannot find RomeTW.exe". Please... can anyone help!? Thank you in advance.
    How are you trying to play RS1.6? I think the secret to get Steam to work with mods is to run the mod through Steam and not through the shortcut that the RS1.6 install creates.

Where did you install Steam to?

Where did you install RS1.6 to?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Well I don't have anything to post screenshots. But I'll try to expand more. I created a new folder on my desktop and installed the vanilla and Alx, and they are already patched I believe, into this folder. When I start the instal for 1.6 I browse to that folder from users to desktop to "ROME", the folder which I created. In this folder there are

-alexander
    -data
    Miles
    preferences
    saves

I've tried alexander and it hasn't worked. Says windows is searching for shortcut or just plays the vanilla.

Souka's Avatar Semisalis

Anyone willing to upload a rar file? the installer crashes all the time for me.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Abreas View Post
    Well I don't have anything to post screenshots. But I'll try to expand more. I created a new folder on my desktop and installed the vanilla and Alx, and they are already patched I believe, into this folder. When I start the instal for 1.6 I browse to that folder from users to desktop to "ROME", the folder which I created. In this folder there are

-alexander
    -data
    Miles
    preferences
    saves

I've tried alexander and it hasn't worked. Says windows is searching for shortcut or just plays the vanilla.
    In your original post you've stated that you downloaded RTW Gold. From where did you download it?

When you refer to 1.6 I presume you are referring to RS1.6 rather than the RTW BI 1.6 patch?

In order to play mods using the Alexander exe you need to include the -noalexander switch. So, the shortcut target that I used to play RS1.5c with RTW Alexander looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Roma Surrectum 1.5c\RomeTW-ALX.exe" -nm -show_err -mod -noalexander

You can always take a screenshot of the 'active window' by using CTRL+ALT+PrintScreen and then paste into Paint and then use a host to hold the image. Photobucket (www.photobucket.com) and Imageshack (www.imageshack.us) are popular. I use both - Photobucket is good because I can organize my images into albums (so they can be found again) while Imageshack can store images at high resolutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Souka View Post
    Anyone willing to upload a rar file? the installer crashes all the time for me.
    Which installer - the one from FileFont or Megaupload (or whatever it is)....

What do you want in the WinRAR? It can only be the download at most.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlecat View Post
    playing with fire, there!
    still seems fine beetlecat,playing as Pergamum at the momment,also have a Macedon campaign going on RS 1,5,i`ll post when i crash lol.
    Last edited by johnswan; October 24, 2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: update no 2,well it didnt work so i`ve re-installed over a clean copy,no suprise really ,i was being lazy.

Ah, sorry I can't help. I have no experience with using Steam and stuff.