Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Presentation: Iberia Total War Platinum Edition

Default Presentation: Iberia Total War Platinum Edition

Well, my dear friends, here we present the new old project Iberia Total War in its version

Just to be honest, we do not know exactly which new functionalities will have this new version, but we want to present to you our work project with the following novelties:

1. Units and battles

- The battle system will be completely redesigned, mainly regarding unit stats, to keep as much as possible the ITW flavour regarding the casualties number and the effect of moral, but preventing the battles too much longer than needed, mainly in the case of sieges, one of the most controversial points of the Gold edition. Idibil will work on this, with the help of the rest of the team with the final tests.
    - As several slots are still free for new models, some new units will be added, mainly corresponding to the "forgotten" regions in the last version.
    - The aestetic aspects of units will be also improved, by polishing details both in models and textues. In particular italic and padane units will be revisited, and if it is possible (due to available manpower) all the units will be improved. Idibil and Caesar will deal with this part, and I will help if needed.
    - The vegetation will be also improved, mainly is external help is available, given that this is a subject in which the team is not expert at all.

2. Sounds
    we are convinced that the potential and the originality of the developed sound system is great. Because of that it will be polished to prevent stridencies and imbalances, including some music but keeping the ITW spirit. Asdrubal will be in charge of this part.

3. Campaigns
    we will try to give more depth to campaigns, adapting and improving (if possible) systems included in other mods. This idea is still underdeveloped but we have planned some possibilities:
    - Roman honors and positions, but also adapted to other cultures.
    - Spoils of victory after battle.
    - More importance of culture adaptation after conquest.
    - Bette script in provincial campaigns.
    - Improvement in behavior of rebels and AI controled factions.
    I will be in charged of this, with the help of Asdrubal.

4. My favorite part.
    This is the part in which I'm working full time, the new campaing Iberia in arms

The idea came from the popular claim of Spanish players to be able to play with the minor factions. For this purpose it was necessary a new map focused on Iberia.
    This is the first version, indicating the culture distribution. The map has around 70 regions, not still finished, but almost done, thanks to the work of Idibil as historical advisor.

This presentation was delayed until the new campaign was shown to be feasible.

From this basis it is necessary to include a lot of functional details (resources, rebels, buildings...) and aestetic details (models and textures for generals and agents of the minor factions). But more importantly, the map is already working.

I hope you will find this presentation interesting. We will keep it updated.

Default Re: Presentation: Iberia Total War Platinum Edition

Excellent news! I'll look forward...
    Last edited by Xanthippos; May 28, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

I second that, this is looking great. Best of luck with this new project.

This looks amazing. I can't wait!

Ah. If the battle-stats were fixed, all would be well! I'm excited for this!

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

My dear friends, i'm very glad with this presentation, and I was to write in your forum since a long time ago, now comes a good oportunity. ITW is, in my opinion one of the best mods for RTW, a great achievment, and a special one because all my roots are in northeast portugal and I'm very close to our zoelae heritage in particular, and northern iberian in general. Anyway, I wanted to congratulate you first for your fine work. However, there are a few things that I think that, once corrected, would make of this mod an almost perfect work:
    1º - The battle system is indeed a problem, battles become too boring, fantastic if you're going to review that!
    2ª - The celtiberians look a little too much "iberian" for my taste, but that's just an opinion (as the rest). Will you have new unit skins in the Platinum?
    3º - Will the gallaecians and the astures exist as playable factions? I found their absence in the gold edition a terrible thing...
    4º - Will you create exclusive units to be recruited in each settlement, as in EB? Like, for instance, a zoelae unit in the southern region of the astures (hehehe)?! Guys, that would be great!
    5º - Could some traits, like the devotio or hospitalitas, be better represented? I realise it can be difficult, or even impossible, but I wanted to ask anyway...
    Another thing that I would consider a tremendous improvement, not only for ITW but to any game based on RTW, would be the possibility to sack settlements without taking them, a little like in BI but without the hordes? That would add so much to the game experience that I fail to understand why nobody, especially CA, ever bother with this issue.
    Well brothers, keep on. All eyes on you now, lol.

I really like the original ITW mod (the version 2.0). After the Gold Edition (version 2.5) was released, I tried hard to look for the original mod file, I could not find it.

I did not like the Gold Edition at all.

This is why:
    You have tried to imitate EB. But your mod is designed for faster gameplay (abundance of javelins on nearly every unit, abundance of mercenaries, cheap units) than EB. EB also has in-depth simulation of history, with different government types, which is not in ITW.

In the Gold Edition, you completely messed up the gameplay, by making the armor extra-thick for all units. A full volley of slinger shots aimed at the back of a unit, barely gets a few. This was not so in the original version. It would have knocked down half of a row.
    Also, the EB mod had a special way of editing the armor value of the units, so that the fight is lengthened, but it is not ridiculous.
    That is not the same with the Gold Edition of ITW. You merely increased all the values of the armor, and that made the fights extremely slow, ridiculously slow, in fact. Even full-speed cavalry charges into the back of units would barely knock down a few people.
    And these are medium-armored or lightly-armored units (the ones wearing only padded cloth and a helmet)

It became un-playable.

Also, you tried to imitate EB by renaming all the units in some unknown language. That became truly annoying.
    In the original version, the units were named [tribal origin] [soldier type]
    For example: Edetani peltast, Turdetani swordsmen, Ilergeti missile cavalry, Lusitani axemen
    (of course, I don't remember the exact names of the units, that's just an example)

In the Gold Edition, you renamed them into the ancient languages, so it would no longer recognizable what tribe, and what type, was the unit. In EB, at least there was an option to display the legible names, like [tribal origin] [soldier type]. But there was no such option in the Gold Edition.

That also severely diminished the fun value of it. I was faced with [gibberish] [gibberish].

That, combined with the messed-up gameplay.
    When many people complained about the Gold Edition, one of the devs released a .txt file that would implement "faster gameplay", essentially editing certain armor values. I tried it, but the gameplay was still messed up. The slingshots and the javelins still didn't have the effect that they had in the original version, which had one of the best gameplays in mods of RTW (next to XGM, for the faster gameplays; EB had the best gameplay of all mods, but it was a category of its own)

Hopefully, this Platinum Edition will:
    - re-instate the original unit names with [tribal origin] [soldier type], with the ancient language names included as part of the explanation paragraph, rather than the title.
    - re-instate the gameplay of the original ITW mod, especially the slingshot and javelin damages, plus the speed of battles (a bit slower than XGM, but much faster than EB).
    - have ancient music of instrument, and perhaps vocal music like the soundtrack of Blackhawk Down.
    but no modern music (words in any modern language).

I agree with our friend ThePianist in what concerns to the game becoming unplayable, it's unbelieveble how even when you send your cavalry to hunt fleeing enemy units, they just won't die!! And that's not realistic at all! I understand that the team wants to preserve what they had created, but I think ITW haves enough credits of his own to make unnecessary such a heavy stand on this particular issue of the battle stats. I don't agree with TP about the use of native languages, I'm totally a fan of that, but I acknowledge it could be an option, as in EB, and I don´t like to compare the works of those who give their time and know-how to add something new to the best game ever. Each mod stands for itself (or not), for instance I love EB for it's deep complexity and The Iberian Conflict for RTR for it's simplicity and effectiveness.
    Well, will someone from the team ever answer our questions, lol? Greetings.

We had get notes of your ideas for Platinium, thanks u.

Only a thing, ITW dont copy other mod hehe

Really glad to see you keep working on IBTW ... you were the first to ever depict Iberia in a so detailed way ! So detailed that other mods like EB and RTR start giving better attention to this important part of the classic world! Keep it up with the sound system the concept is phoenomenal!

Last edited by absinthia; November 05, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

very amazing, I hope soon we will have a new release!

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

I tryed ITW and love it more then FOE (for more iberian fraction). Cood you include in platinum Pyrrus with his elephants as greec general - it will be fascinating?

When will you release the first preview?

@absinthia

Thx for links.
    ITW Platinium will be for RTW yet

@Dionisy

Lol, but ITW platinium have new campaing only in Iberia, Pirrus was in Italy, sorry

@Aernuss

Soon, but need time, we are job with best units and it get long.

I wish happy winter solestice celebrations to all the ITW team and fans...

Any news?

We are look for preview faction soon

Any news?

We have three factions finished yet (soon screens) and Campaing "Iberia in Arms" is advance.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast