Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: William the Conquerer - Submod

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default William the Conquerer - Submod

NI Submod Release
    William the Conquerer - King of England (WTC-KOE) | Mod Version: 2.0
    incl. William the Conquerer (WTC) | Mod Version: 1.9

Released

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Submod Episodes by DaVinci and Athenogoras - for Norman Invasion (NI)
    Faction mods - only Normans are playable (2 campaigns).

William of Normandy

Pre-remarks

This submod is foldered in the same wise as the NI mod (it is the original NI modfolder),
    so no RTW/BI original files will be overwritten if the installation is correct done.
    The installation of this submod happens in your own responsibility.

The submod comes with gameplay changing alterations. One can also view on that as an alternative campaign.
    However all due credits belong the NI team who did again a masterpiece for RTW-BI 1.6 with their NI release.
    Besides this, NI contains (like VI2) a lot ChivTW unit models (reskinned by NI members), so of course in
    addition to the anyway great mod themes, now the timeframe of NI provoked my instant interest to create
    a submod with some more ChivTW material and style, as it plays direct into the time-period of ChivTW.

Content Description
    Gameplay - William the Conquerer (WTC)

This submod offers a merely historical play with the Normans within the real timeframe of the conquest: AD 1066 - 1072.
    Try and look if you can repeat the historical conquest within these few years.

Developed/balanced on the following parameters:
    Difficulty: H/H
    Unit Size: Large

Important: You'll play with a show-me/background script that enables 12 turns per year (12 months).

5 new added Norman-only building strings like for example "Norman Martial Law" and
    "Execution Places & Dungeons" can help to gain the upperhand in England.

Battle of Hastings, 1066: While the 12 turns per year script could suggest to battle the English
    later, the starting turn is timed with October 1066 (historical battle month). So there will be only
    3 turns (months) available in 1066 to destroy the large Saxon armies and capture London to realise
    Williams coronation. Try to win all the due battles in the 1st turn, at least kill off here Harold, his
    brother Gyrth and Leofwine, in the best case you have crushed all English Hastings' armies in the first turn.

Harold's death

Battles: It is recommended to play the Hastings battle(s) in the battlemode, otherwise via autocalc the Normans will loose utterly.
    Show your skills on the field. Always look that you survive with William, so it might be highly recommended to choose his army as
    1st player-steered army and look that you include 2 other Norman armies as reinforcements for one battle (can even be AI steered).
    As those large battles will require a lot performance for the RTW/BI engine, it is recommened to lower the graphic settings for these
    Hastings battles. You can do that within the battlemode, type ESC and do your settings (resolution etc.) and return to battle.

William's coronation, December 1066: You should try to have secured London and the surroundings as soon as
    possible. That means you need to "enter" London instantly after Hastings. You need to have constructed the
    'Curia Regis' in London prior to the coronation (needs 1 turn to construct). The conquest of London was historically
    the next main goal after Hastings, but surely it makes sense to conquest other settlements at the same time,
    but William is needed in London!

Cashflow-system: The cashflow system and the whole gameplay is based on the fact that we have only 75 turns,
    costs+construction times are significantly reduced.

Winning this campaign: You have to control 24 regions within 6,25 years (75 months/turns). Some of these regions
    are determined. You start with 3 regions (2 in Normandy, 1 in England).

Gameplay - William the Conquerer - King of England (WTC-KOE)

The start situation is changed: Now the Normans have subjugated the most Saxon lands
    ... William II of Normandy is William I King of England.
    It will be hard to hold and expand this achievement. This is the timeline of AD 1073 - 1095.
    William is at the coast to sail back to Normandy ... .

Important: You'll play with a show-me/background script that enables 4 turns per year (seasons).

Releases / Changelogs / Previews

1) WTC 1.0, changes:

# start situation (altered: start money, start armies, camp script, faction standing/relations).
    # 12 turns per year script added.
    # tech tree (diverse boni changed and 2 additional buildings).
    # minor unit stat changes, but some unit costs/upkeep quite altered (Normans and English).
    # victory conditions (vc's decreased in number).

2) WTC Patch 1.1, changes:

# all in all the challenge is increased significantly compared to 1.0 (tech-tree, cash-flow, law+order, vc's).
    # the anglo-saxon chronicle messages fire only at 1066 one time (means, the first message pops
    up after the first turn, and then no other messages - after all it even fits better without, as this is a norman
    faction submod, while the chronicles are written from the anglo-saxon perspective.
    # file structure fixes.

3) Internal WTC Patch 1.2:

# combat balancing changes (edu) by Athenogoras/ChivTW.
    # more tech-tree balancing (building costs+constr. times, recruitment for norman and english units, building conditions+boni).
    # added 5 Norman-only buildings strings to second the historicity of the Norman conquest (ChivTW material customised).
    # general balancing (slight adjustments to edu, merc-pool files: upkeep, turns, costs, replenish).
    # fix for the NI 1.1 landmass alteration (gives an error-message "Fitz... on invalid tile" in WTC 1.1).
    # Norman victory condition (currently) set to 26 (this victory condition thing is open to playtest results).
    # 12tpy script altered, starts historically in Oct 1066; now 75 turns 1066-1072. 4 winters (Jan, Febr ... Nov, Dec) and 8 summers in-between.
    # start positions of the Hastings' armies partly changed (more focused).
    # Saxon Hastings' armies slightly upped in numbers.
    # Norman Hastings' armies slightly dropped in numbers.
    # movement points increased to allow quite realistic movement rates.
    # some unit name and description changes (Normans and mercs mainly).
    # one hidden_resource added for Rouen.

4) Released WTC Patch 1.3: requires NI 1.1 installed ; recommended NI 1.2 installed

# as above WTC 1.2, but some significant balance-changes to increase the challenge.
    # some unit model changes (Flemish merc, some Housecarls), dmb and cas files by Athenogoras.
    # combat: projectile, mount, edu files changed by Athenogoras (combat changelog is included in the file).

4) Released WTC Patch 1.32: requires NI 1.1 installed ; recommended NI 1.2 installed

# small tech-tree fixes done on WTC 1.3.

5) Released WTC Patch 1.4: requires NI 1.1 installed ; recommended NI 1.2 installed

# WTC campaign files now contained within a campaign folder "wtc" (provincial campaign); start the submod in menu via "WTC CAMPAIGN".
    # fitting provincial campaign menu picture added.
    # the apparent bug of a no-save menu (ESC) within the first turn is fixed.
    # the show-me script process is slightly changed: now click on a settlement (or army or any ui) and then on the advisor's face to fire the script.
    # diverse combat files changed again by Atheno (combat changelog is included in the file).
    # campaign balance updated again (tech-tree, start money ie. Normans now only 10.000 shillings, start armies).
    Misc:
    # all submod files are now contained in one "WTC" zip file, below this you'll get the different info files and the mod zip files.
    # added a NI vanilla backup zip file; now you can switch between NI vanilla and WTC without to use more than one NI modfolder installation.

6) Released WTC Patch 1.51: requires NI 1.1 installed ; recommended NI 1.2 installed

# unit model and combat updates by Atheno (combat changelog is included in the file).
    # balance updates (mainly cashflow/income slightly harder).
    # Brittany and Flanders are now in rebel ownership.
    # Norman victory region number reduced to 24.

Release 23rd Nov 2009:
    # The 1st WTC campaign got some updates, now it is WTC 1.9

Released 23rd Nov 2009:
    7) Second episode campaign: William the Conquerer, King of England (WTC_KOE 2.0)
    (NI install-requirement as above)

# time line AD 1073 - 1095
    # 4 tpy script
    # victory conditions: subjugate whole England and Wales and defend your achievements.
    # updated start situation: region ownership, family tree's etc.
    # according balance updates
    # addition of some flag bearer officers
    # addition of several new units (mainly for rebel factions Brittany and Flanders)
    # diverse model/texture updates
    # works as 2nd provincial campaign setup (the expansion of WTC)
    # special new: rebel faction units are playable in custom battle mode.

This WTC-KOE version 2.0 contains 2 campaign zip-setups with different campaign- and the
    different normal data files for these two episode submods.

Instructions
    Installation - William the Conquerer (WTC)

This submod requires the installation of NI.
    In any case read also the Gameplay section.

Install-order:

NI 1.0 + 1.1 patch + 1.2 patch (or full 1.2 or higher) + WTC 1.9

In detail: How to install the submod?

Basicly: If you have downloaded the submod file, extract that file (ie. on your desktop or within
    your RTW folder or just within a new neutral folder).

- for the extracting job, do not use the windows-unzipper tool, but ie. winrar or winzip or 7zip -

1. Open your Rome Total War folder, where NI lives.

2. Copy and paiste the zip file calling "WTC 1.9" to this RTW folder.

3. Extract this "WTC 1.9" zip file in this RTW folder, overwrite. Ready.

Start a new campaign!

Hint: (Selected Single Player) If you see in your game-menu now WTC CAMPAIGNS as new button, then it's correct installed.

Better read still the 12 tpy script explanation, step 4a.
    If you've played other show-me scripted RTW/BI mods, then you already know what's to do, and you can skip this step 4a.

4a. Just in the campaign you need to start a show-me (background) script by clicking on a settlement or on a character
    (or army), and then click on the face of the appearing advisor. Repeat this if you reload a saved game.
    In order to have no issues with this script you shall save games with a name, ie. "1066-summer-turn-x" or whatever you
    prefer (loading an auto-saved game can cause issues in regard of this script, as well if you start a saved campaign directly
    from the menu after you have exited the campaign, so quit the game entirely and start anew a fresh campaign or load a
    named save-game, and activate the 12 tpy script as explained above).

Installation - William the Conquerer, King of England (WTC-KOE)

To install this campaign you need to have installed NI and WTC as explained above.
    Then just extract the file "WTC-KOE 2.0" in the RTW folder and overwrite again, that's the only difference to WTC 1.9.
    As above explained, here you also need to activate the turns per year script.

One player confirmed, that this NI submod is compatible with the most recent NI releases/updates.

Credits + Download
    Credits

# Base mod: NI Team
    # Submod Team:
    DaVinci - campaign changes, tech-tree changes
    Athenogoras - combat changes, unit model/texture changes
    # Additional Submod Resources: ChivTW mod material

DOWNLOAD

WTC/WTC-KOE (the dl-file includes WTC 1.9 and WTC-KOE 2.0)
    Server: TWC Downloads

Recommended wikipedia article about William the Bastard or William the Conquerer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I_of_England

###
    Last edited by DaVinci; December 26, 2010 at 03:05 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: William the Conquerer - Submod

Well, just played 13 turns on H/H and it appears to be much too easy
    I added recently just too much adavantages for the Normans.

This will be reverted with a next upload WTC 1.1, sooner than later:

- Remove the scripted money addition for the player, entirely.
    - Increase the construction costs of the two added buildings.
    - Rework other Norman advantages in the tech-tree for law and cash-flow.
    - Increase some unit upkeep for the Normans.
    - Increase the victory conditions (region number from now 18 to at least 30, probable)

---

But the initial battle of Hastings in the first turn has been great, i had 7 armies * (incl. the appearing reinforcements) on the field leading Williams army. Only my reinforcements saved the day, otherwise i would have lost that huge battle, and i was able to slaughter all three Godwinson brothers in the end (quite historical, the Housecarls were the last on the field and slaughtered endless my foot and light/medium cavalry until they were just overwhelmed my pure numbers and with heavy cavalry) - the outcome is no wonder, i had 4 and the English had 3 armies.
    * needed to decrease the resolution/graphics significantly, damn, RTW is harder for my quite good pc than Empire TW.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 17, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

Great work old bean! Damn you are fast! a submod only 2 days after release.

Patrician Artifex

Indicators, if you have installed correctly:

This is the faction selection screen of the submod: Just Normans only

Here is the Norman Martial Law building (one of the 2 new building strings, together there 3 new buildings), which is available in the 1st turn in Pefenesea.

This pic is from the 1st turn prior to any action. You can see as well that the start-money is increased to 300000 shillings (this is though from WTC 1.1, boni etc. are changed here). Also you have installed correct if the advisor pops up for a second and goes away - after that click on any norman army or settlement to fire the show-me script (at least this is what i do as the very first action at the start, one time and then is good for the whole campaign - of course you must repeat this if you load a saved campaign).

---

Well, i'll upload in some minutes the proper working submod file WTC 1.1
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 17, 2009 at 09:47 AM.

Patrician Artifex

First post updated, WTC 1.1 available.

Patrician Artifex

For the ones who apply NI 1.1 (patch) as base for WTC 1.1: An attachment (hotfix) in post #1 is available, that adresses the landmass change in NI 1.1 at the Pefenesea coast (Hastings army area). Read also under installation.

And see post #1 as well for a preview of the as of yet planned update.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 18, 2009 at 07:04 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Preview extract for WTC 1.2 ... start situation and the expanded building/tech tree with 5 new building strings.

Last edited by DaVinci; October 20, 2009 at 11:06 PM.

Patrician Artifex

1st post updated with upcoming release-content changes (WTC 1.3).

WTC 1.3 will offer a quite short campaign and a pretty unique gameplay.
    Also the combat system is changed quite a lot.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 25, 2009 at 03:11 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Surprise ... WTC 1.3 is just released, info and download in 1st post.

For the ones who play WTC 1.1:

WTC 1.3 requires a new campaign start.

EDIT
    Pulled the upload file, need still to fix something.
    Last edited by DaVinci; October 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Release file fixed.

Uploaded as WTC 1.32, download in 1st post.

Patrician Artifex

1st post updated: Release updated to WTC 1.4.

Patrician Artifex

1st post updated with preview info in section: Submod Releases / Changelogs / Previews

Patrician Artifex

1st post updated: WTC version 1.5 available.

EDIT

Release file updated to WTC 1.51 (Norman region ownership changed: Bretagne and Flanders independent).

And preview points WTC_KOE updated.
    Last edited by DaVinci; November 11, 2009 at 06:22 PM.

Patrician Artifex

First post updated: Released WTC 1.9 / WTC-KOE 2.0

Start situation ...
    Last edited by DaVinci; November 23, 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Patrician Artifex

WTC-KOE / little extract of new added units.

Flanders, with the rebel Duke of Boulogne

Brittany, with the rebel Duke of the Bretons

I hope Atheno will take time to add more of his countless screenshots with the various implemented new units.
    Last edited by DaVinci; November 23, 2009 at 03:38 PM.

Some more pictures screens from WTC-KOE. Some units are NI-"vanilla", some are reskinned by me. Banners added and many model-tweaks(mainly shields).

Battle Normans-Breton rebels

Breton swordsmen

The glorious charge of the bretons

Breton rebel MAA

Pursuit

Pursuers surrounded and routed

Defending the banner

Flemish infantry under norman banner

Norman axemen from Sicily

Norman knights with banner

Rebel horsemen routed by the flemish

Battle Normans-Flemish rebels

Bretons under norman banner

Flemish rebels

Flemish vassals with rebel banner

Flemish rebel infantry

Norman palace guards

La grande mêlée

Flemish cavalry routed

Crossbowmen in serious trouble

Bretons arrive

Norman prince eager to join

Flemish rebels cuts down norman maa

Norman prince appears from the mist

Norman prince approaching - eager for glory

Last charge of the norman prince

Norman knights avenging the death of their lord

The bretons join in

The fields of Flanders
    Last edited by Athenogoras; November 24, 2009 at 04:03 PM.

Nicely done!

A couple of more from WTC

Battle of Hastings

Normans advancing - William with the papal banner in the center

Housecarls(now twohanded animation)

William fighting for his life

Last edited by Athenogoras; November 24, 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Keyser Soze's Avatar Domesticus

nice new units and reskin. Athenogoras, for their balancing you used Aradan´s EDU matic?
    sorry my english.

I believe he's using his own system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast