Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Skymod + Night Battles in RTW =

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    I suggest you try out Skymod 1.30 (the first one). That has good unit contrasts, but it doesn't have the darkness problem. So you'll probably like it.

My versions don't exactly improve on each other, rather just a variation of settings. For example, vers 1.2 is made with the night fighting in mind
    , since RTW doesn't have night battles, I tried to make some of the day-fights dark for some areas. Meanwhile my 1.3 was rather an invention with experimenting with high contrast lights and even more settings.
    1.31 and 1.32 are different variations of 1.30, but basically the same thing with some changes.
    The dark shadow you just found, is actually a problem, it most likely caused by in an area and daylight settings that i didn't test.

I would say, try another version and see which one you like better. meanwhile I might look into the dark shadow effect you noticed with 1.32 and try to fix it.

I also recommend my newest one (skymodBIRTW), but be advised, it's still a WIP, which means if someone finds something out of place, i will look into it.

By the way, if you have RTW1.3, I would recommend to use skymodBRTW, since 1.3 introduced new lighting effects, such as gloom, and my previous versions would remove some settings, that the patch added.

Opifex

Archer, my recommendation is that you keep the idea of singular points of light in the darkness, rather than having night battles become all bright and glowing, simply through presence of some torches. True night should have an all-consuming darkness, with singular points of light just to indicate where people are. I am not recommending that extreme amount of light absorbtion (we want RTW playable after all) but it's that general approach that I suggest. Remember Kingdom of Heaven, right when the Saracens are about to release their trebuchets against Jerusalem -- it's completely pitch black, until one light point lights up, and then another, and then another, until there's a whole line of innumerable light points, all of which begin to detach from the ground and cross the sky in an arc, towards you. That's the idea.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Thanks both Archer and SigniferOne

P.S. I have BI and RTW, so it's 1.3 RTW.
    And sorry about using 1.32 in 1.3RTW becasue it actually is for 1.2 version of RTW.

To Archer
    I have tried all ur versions of skymod.

SKYMODBIRTW1.3 is such a great mod, I introded it to all my friends, the nightbattle in RTW is so good especially for people who doesn't like to play BI and can enjoy nightbattle in RTW (eg:me).

An opinion, SKYMODBIRTW1.3, when u play in evening, it is already so dark as night time and count it as nightbattle. My suggestion is that evening time can be changed to ligher and no more night battle at that time.

From all the versions u made without nightbattle, I like the old 1.3, 1.32 final.
    however, I found out that 1.32's unit contrast is so great, they look so real as in a real battle in all the time except mid-day (it is too dark, can't even see the face of soilders).

To SigniferOne
    Actually, the reason I stated above. Thx for ur suggestion.
    Last edited by hkaries; November 06, 2005 at 06:41 PM.

From all the versions u made without nightbattle, I like the old 1.3, 1.32 final.
    however, I found out that 1.32's unit contrast is so great, they look so real as in a real battle in all the time except mid-day (it is too dark, can't even see the face of soilders).
    ONe reason I liked it for myself, is just somehow once I accidentally over shadowed the game and I just liked the settings.

For mid-days, i can always adjust the settings, but it might effects the rest, I need to test it.

I can try and make a Bi/rtw 1.3 compatible skymod 1.32 final or any other versions.

I am working on a new BI sky, just experimenting with some settings, basically using the vanilla files with only a few adjustments.

I'll might try to put something better together later, but right now, i need to see what stuff I can change, which i couldnt in RTW.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Is there any way to increase the chances of having a night battle? I always fight in either Italy or Greece, but I never have had a night battle. Please help.

Oh, I have 1.32

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    For mid-days, i can always adjust the settings, but it might effects the rest, I need to test it.

I can try and make a Bi/rtw 1.3 compatible skymod 1.32 final or any other versions.

I am working on a new BI sky, just experimenting with some settings, basically using the vanilla files with only a few adjustments.

I'll might try to put something better together later, but right now, i need to see what stuff I can change, which i couldnt in RTW.

Anyhow, I will wait for ur good news, and now I think I will use 1.3with nightbattle. It is the first skymod work 100% with 1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by therussian91
    Is there any way to increase the chances of having a night battle? I always fight in either Italy or Greece, but I never have had a night battle. Please help.

Oh, I have 1.32
    Night battles in BI completely depend on the scripting of the game. It happens randomly and it has nothing to do what settings I use.
    Much like the weather. I can change how it looks when it rains or when it's foggy how much fog, etc. But i cannot make it rain all the time or snow. I can increase it's frequency to happen. Meanwhile, I have no idea what controls the night battle frequencies so i cannot change it.
    Basically saying, "I can only change the stage, but I cannot control it".

oh no. You misunderstand me. I have patch 1.2.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Then unfortunately you will not have a night battle.

Only Bi has night battles.

other.

Some news. I started to make the day settings realistic for the next version. It is almost done.

I used several pictures to immitate how to sky looks at different time of day.

The sky you will see in the next version will be as realistic (in colors) as it can get, since i used a color picker to copy the color settings for RTW.

Also.

I re-worked the night battles, both for BI and RTW1.3 (of course RTW has only custom night battles)

Here is some screenies from RTW1.3 (BI similar)

both versions (for RTW and BI) are being developed simultaneously and both will look alike.

The daylight screenies coming soon!
    Last edited by HorseArcher; November 07, 2005 at 06:18 PM.

Borsook is trying to add night battles to RTW 1.3. You can just wait for that.

Again you do not understand me, or else I am very confused. I am using your mod. As I see, you can have night battles (or, technically, battles where the sky is very dark...whatever). Unless I am sadly mistaken.

Again you do not understand me, or else I am very confused. I am using your mod. As I see, you can have night battles (or, technically, battles where the sky is very dark...whatever). Unless I am sadly mistaken.
    You must have seen some of my darker skies, i guess.

I advise you to download the 1.3 patch for RTW since it fixes many things, inlcuding the save/load bug and various other A.I. problems + adds light effects and rotating day-time (in 1.2, it is always 8am in the morning) and other fixes also.

But I've heard that it also adds more bugs to the game, while taking away others. I'm just going to wait to buy BI (don't hve any $$ right now). Plus, I have a lot of Skins and stuff that are only compatible with 1.2

Anyway, can you please answer my question. I don't mean to sound like a *****, and I'm sorry if it sounds like that.

But I've heard that it also adds more bugs to the game, while taking away others. I'm just going to wait to buy BI (don't hve any $$ right now). Plus, I have a lot of Skins and stuff that are only compatible with 1.2

Anyway, can you please answer my question. I don't mean to sound like a *****, and I'm sorry if it sounds like that.

I already answered your question on the previous page. It was if i can increase the frequency of night battles? No I can't. I can't even do that for BI, even though it does have night battles unlike RTW 1.2

anyway...
    some day time screens after taking color samples from real photos:

there are variations to sky-looks but the most of them will look like these:

morning -desert

morning - generic

sunrise

midday

sunset

the clouds vary as i have many cloud settings and they change randomly so there can be many different look, but most of them fall in the "kinda realistic" category.

Alright, thanks. I thought you were talking about only BI. SOrry for troubling you.

All I can say is :sign_wow:, those night battles look amazing! I really like what you've done with the torch effects! I can't wait to try this one out.

Archer, for daytimes, can you increase the contrast on the units a little. Kinda like how the units looked in Skymod 1.30 and 1.32.
    Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; November 07, 2005 at 08:06 PM.

Alright, thanks. I thought you were talking about only BI. SOrry for troubling you.
    No need to apologize, i'm still trying to figure out what exactly you are asking.

You asked about RTW 1.2 and to increase the night battles for it?

Then I said RTW 1.2 doesn't have night battles.

Then you said you are using skymod 1.32 , and I said, you must have seen some darker skies in RTW, because of my skymod.

If you are asking if I can make more dark-skies (ie: fake night battles), well, the problem is, i already have the 1.3 patch along with BI and I don't think i will go back to RTW 1.2 to make mods for it, but i rather work on RTW1.3 and BI.

and also, what bugs do you know about RTW in 1.3?

No need to apologize, i'm still trying to figure out what exactly you are asking.

You asked about RTW 1.2 and to increase the night battles for it?

Then I said RTW 1.2 doesn't have night battles.

Then you said you are using skymod 1.32 , and I said, you must have seen some darker skies in RTW, because of my skymod.

If you are asking if I can make more dark-skies (ie: fake night battles), well, the problem is, i already have the 1.3 patch along with BI and I don't think i will go back to RTW 1.2 to make mods for it, but i rather work on RTW1.3 and BI.

Well, see. I have RTW 1.2 And I downloaded your latest mod for 1.2 which was 1.32. And I had seen some "darker" battles in your screenshots. I myself have not had one yet (though this is the second time I used this mod, last time I saw dark battles). I was wondering if there is any text file to increase the chances of having a "darker" battle, instead of a "sunrise" or "evening" battle.

As for the bugs, I think there is a thread about it in the RTW BI forum.

Look here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34315

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    I think the fixes outweigh the bugs. I had more fun with 1.3 than 1.2
    Those who never even tried it, cannot make arguments.

Also there is a general confusion with BI problems versus 1.3 problems.

they're 2 different things and i see BI problems mixed in with 1.3.

here is what player_1 responded which i fully agree:

Originally Posted by adamus

In my experience, 1.3 sucks big style. Yes, the siege bug is fixed and yes there is a lot more things that can now be modded, but the patch has introduced new bugs that weren't in 1.2 (these bugs aren't in BI):

- Ambushing no longer works -> on three occasions now, I have successfully set up an ambush, but when the battle map loads, the enemy is not in column, you cannot see their forces before the battle starts. Indeed, the battle is just like any normal battle.

- The 'let AI control my army' is bugged. My preference is always to uncheck this box, but in 1.3, I've had two occasions now where the box has been unchecked but when the battle starts, the AI has been in charge of my second army, which is extremely frustrating as I would rather be outnumbered than have the AI control my troops.

Stick to 1.2.
    ----

player_1

Fix to save/load greatly outweight any of those bugs
    Not to mention, i actually had to read the thread about those bugs reported, but otherwise i didn't notice them before, but I firmly beleive that RTW 1.3 does improve 1.2, even if it introduces some new annoyances. And i do play RTW since last year september (release date).