Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Skymod + Night Battles in RTW =

Opifex

Anyone like this? ME! Especially the second screenshot, where the torch is bright and the surroundings just a little bit away are sharply dark -- that's great! I hope you can continue pushing that angle I hope you can figure out a way to make night darker without making day darker too, as that would be GREAT.

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne
    Anyone like this? ME! Especially the second screenshot, where the torch is bright and the surroundings just a little bit away are sharply dark -- that's great! I hope you can continue pushing that angle I hope you can figure out a way to make night darker without making day darker too, as that would be GREAT.

No, i don't think i can go any more darker. As I said, that would involve to change the terrain, and it would ruin the daylight battles completely.

Can you increase how much the ground lights up due to torches, fire arrows, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    Can you increase how much the ground lights up due to torches, fire arrows, etc.?
    the fire arrows look weird, as i already tried increasing their light effect it starts to look like star wars with laser beams, and if i increase the torch fire light it will light up the enviroment around all units to be too bright and starts looking even less realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    the fire arrows look weird, as i already tried increasing their light effect it starts to look like star wars with laser beams, and if i increase the torch fire light it will light up the enviroment around all units to be too bright and starts looking even less realistic.
    Can you post a screenshot of this "star wars". It wanna see how bad it looks. Just curious.

Can you post a screenshot of this "star wars". It wanna see how bad it looks. Just curious.
    no, I already broke it once and you just have to trust me on this. it doesn't look good. You know those yellow blobs going on the ground when firing fire missiles? Imagine them to be bigger blobs, that's all.

no, I already broke it once and you just have to trust me on this. it doesn't look good. You know those yellow blobs going on the ground when firing fire missiles? Imagine them to be bigger blobs, that's all.
    I see. Ok then.

some winter image:

and sunset:

Looking good. Archer, one thing I've noticed in RTW 1.3 is that the shadows are much darker than 1.2. This results in some lag on my system, whether I have detailed shadows on or off. Is there anyway to reduce the darkness of the shadows or is it hardcoded?

It isn't the shadows only. For my mod having even more shadow effect, it does nothing to performance. I don't know exactly what makes RTW 1.3 lag (i don't have it), but
    it's probably some other new things contribute.

Yeah I had horrible lag the first time I installed 1.3. In order to reduce the lag significantly, I had to completely turn off grasses. I think the lag is caused by the grass and the shadows in 1.3. I think the performance decrease isn't noticable on higher end systems. CA must have messed up something in the engine itself perhaps so now it runs at lower framerates on all except higher end systems.
    Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; October 30, 2005 at 11:13 PM.

Since i have BI, I'm not sure about RTW 1.3, but does 1.3 gives some extra lighting effects for missiles? I'm not talking about night battles, but when fire arrows shot, do they make a light effect on a wall for example?

Since i have BI, I'm not sure about RTW 1.3, but does 1.3 gives some extra lighting effects for missiles? I'm not talking about night battles, but when fire arrows shot, do they make a light effect on a wall for example?
    Yes. Fire projectiles make light effects on the walls, ground, etc.

Yes. Fire projectiles make light effects on the walls, ground, etc.
    cool, i didn't know that. Perhaps i can tweak it around.. but don't want to go crazy

Archer, have you tried to add torches to RTW 1.3? Is it possible?

It might be. Depends if the RTW engine recognizes it. I'll might give it a try, it's just a few textfiles to export over...i think.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; October 31, 2005 at 10:03 PM.

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Archer, have you tried to add torches to RTW 1.3? Is it possible?

It might be. Depends if the RTW engine recognizes it. I'll might give it a try, it's just a few textfiles to export over...i think.
    I have, and it works fine.

I do too!

This is frickin' cool, check out my Julii guys!

Last edited by HorseArcher; October 31, 2005 at 10:34 PM.

I do too!

This is frickin' cool, check out my Julii guys!

Sweet! But do you need BI to make it work? 'Cause I don't have BI . I know, I'm cheap.

P.S. Why did you type your response into my post?

Sweet! But do you need BI to make it work? 'Cause I don't have BI . I know, I'm cheap.

P.S. Why did you type your response into my post?
    You do, since the files required for the torch is in the BI folder. I'm almost positive that in an un-modded form, the files would be copywrite violation to distribute it to non-BI owners. It could be always modded though....

You do, since the files required for the torch is in the BI folder. I'm almost positive that in an un-modded form, the files would be copywrite violation to distribute it to non-BI owners.
    Now I'll never get those torches into Roman hands . Perhaps you could mod the files somehow?
    Last edited by Richard the Lionheart; October 31, 2005 at 10:57 PM.