Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Skymod + Night Battles in RTW =

Thanks Godzilla!

...now you guys, will you leave me alone for a while to work on my burning mod?

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Thanks Godzilla!

...now you guys, will you leave me alone for a while to work on my burning mod?
    Actually.....ah ok. You deserve to romp a little bit .

But I have a little request for your pyromaniac mod: You said you don't care about realism and anything will be burnable. I wish you would think about it again and make a quite relaistic version. Pleeeeaaaassseeeee :wink:
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla
    Actually.....ah ok. You deserve to romp a little bit .

But I have a little request for your pyromaniac mod: You said you don't care about realism and anything will be burnable. I wish you would think about it again and make a quite relaistic version. Pleeeeaaaassseeeee :wink:
    The quite realistic version would be the vanilla, since it uses the buildings as made of stone, so they don't light up.

Actually the most realistic would be if the archers would be able to burn wood made stuff, but that doesn't happen.
    Not to mention, that stone buildings still had wooden/hay or whatever for roof, so at least the roof should burn.
    The onager flame boulder was either a tarred rock or a big container filled with burning oil or (greek fire?),
    so what a burning tarred rock would do to a building or a gate is not even close to realism in vanilla or my mod.
    And a burning oil container or greek fire is worse, it would splatter on the street/building and the splash would ignite stuff around it, and it would
    still burn on the stone surface for a while, regardless of what the wall is made of.

So, no i cannot do a realistic mod, but anyway, not everything burns, since i cannot put the stone walls on fire or egyptian or eastern buildings and neither large stone buildings such as colosseum or the arch or similar large things on fire. Those things just refuse to turn on fire.
    Maybe i am doing something wrong of those values are hardcoded.

The quite realistic version would be the vanilla, since it uses the buildings as made of stone, so they don't light up.

Actually the most realistic would be if the archers would be able to burn wood made stuff, but that doesn't happen.
    Not to mention, that stone buildings still had wooden/hay or whatever for roof, so at least the roof should burn.
    The onager flame boulder was either a tarred rock or a big container filled with burning oil or (greek fire?),
    so what a burning tarred rock would do to a building or a gate is not even close to realism in vanilla or my mod.
    And a burning oil container or greek fire is worse, it would splatter on the street/building and the splash would ignite stuff around it, and it would
    still burn on the stone surface for a while, regardless of what the wall is made of.

So, no i cannot do a realistic mod, but anyway, not everything burns, since i cannot put the stone walls on fire or egyptian or eastern buildings and neither large stone buildings such as colosseum or the arch or similar large things on fire. Those things just refuse to turn on fire.
    Maybe i am doing something wrong of those values are hardcoded.
    Ah ok, I see. But is it even possible....ok, I stop this conversation here and go over to your burning mod topic. See you there *gg*.
    GODzilla(TM)

Archer

Update: This RTR 6.1 testing
    Try differnet times of the day only changes brightness still dark on one side.
    I'm having problems playtesting with 1.32 beta oneside of units look burnt almost black and the other looks little but off color.

Historic battle

battle 94, 72
    variable_weather_and_time ( day_time 9.00, year_day 0, duration 24.00, weather_seed 0 )

Don't pay any attention to the diff labels; the other unit was right next to them.

Here is pic of 1.32 Beta----->

But here is same battle after I reinstalled 1.31 ----->

Here is the Historic battle files---->
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=402 If you play it you might have to lower units numbers or play small size or have super computer at your beckon call.
    Last edited by draknar; September 25, 2005 at 06:32 AM.

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by draknar
    Archer

I'm having problems playtesting with 1.32 beta oneside of units look burnt almost black and the other looks little but off color.

Historic battle

battle 94, 72
    variable_weather_and_time ( day_time 9.00, year_day 0, duration 24.00, weather_seed 0 )

Don't pay any attention to the diff labels; the other unit was right next to them.

Here is pic of 1.32 Beta----->

But here is same battle after I reinstalled 1.31 ----->

Here is the Historic battle files---->
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/index.php?mod=402 If you play it you might have to lower units numbers or play small size or have super computer at your beckon call.
    Draknar i just tryed the same battle as you (It is you Cannae Historical Battle yes???) Same effect, black all there faces then tryed all same units in custom battle it was fine. So i think must be your Historical Battle.

I don't know if this makes difference but I used the file RTR 6.0.

Still had the same results.

If anyone has RTR 6.1 tried out skymod 1.32beta -----> Use this Historic battle maded for RTR 6.0 & 6.1 Here is the link ---> http://forums.rometotalrealism.org//...showtopic=7328

Average British Student

I tried version 1 of your battle on RTR 6.1 And got black faced people. About try version 2 on RTR 6.1 , Post again with results

Edited - Tryed 3 different HB's on RTR 6.1 and they all have black faces
    Last edited by wipeout140; September 25, 2005 at 06:02 AM.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Actually this is your lucky day

I'm releasing skymod 1.32 beta and see how you guys like it

Thanks Archer for releasing this beta. I've also been waiting for this version for awhile. I'm sure everything’s great with the beta and there won't be any problems what so ever.

Do the modded lighting-effects have any impact or whatsoever on "glossy" units?
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

I tried the Cannae map, too (my gratitude to the author, this map reflects the real battle in every detail!). Not with RTR 6.1, but with my own heavily modded rtw + skymod 1.32. Yes, the faces are....black. But imho this is only the shadow effect caused by the sun standing in the back of the units. It doesn't look weird in my opinion!

BTW: Archer, I must say this is the best you've ever created. The desert-setting is great, on morning and evening, but especially on high noon <---is necessary :laughing:

Now you can for sure retire a wile from making a skymod and instead follow your pyromaniacal instincts!
    GODzilla(TM)

Try differnet times of the day only changes brightness still dark on one side.

Historic battle
    battle 94, 72

Oops, don't worry i'll fix this. Looks like i forgot to to remove my special high settings for that climate/daytime!

This takes about 3 minutes to fix, but I just woke up and my editing capabilites and logical thinking are tempered by a hangover.
    Lesson to be learned: Don't drink and mod!
    Now you can for sure retire a wile from making a skymod and instead follow your pyromaniacal instincts!
    Can't really retire as BI will be released next week, their dynamic light system incorporated in the game adds unlimited possibilites what can be done!

Oops, don't worry i'll fix this. Looks like i forgot to to remove my special high settings for that climate/daytime!

This takes about 3 minutes to fix, but I just woke up and my editing capabilites and logical thinking are tempered by a hangover.
    Lesson to be learned: Don't drink and mod!

Can't really retire as BI will be released next week, their dynamic light system incorporated in the game adds unlimited possibilites what can be done!
    Are you actually hoping to implent the dynamic lightning system into rtw (vanilla, or whatever)? Do you think it's even possible? I'll cross my fingers for that!

PS: Don't want to disturb your fire-modding, but imho the high-noon (custom battle "midday") sun lighting is much too bright for mediterranean climate (tried it on the "marathon" map created by Prof) :sweatingb :wink: . The unit's details are hardly to spot, you'll need sunglasses trying to fight many battles with that light. In the desert it's ok, it's my own fault going there :laughing: .
    GODzilla(TM)

I'll fix it soon, don't worry. As i said, this release is just a beta, and you guys are my labrats.

This way i find the trouble spots faster so i can release you a "patch". Now i start to sound like CA itself, don't I ?

You might have a hard time beleiving this, but it's the moonlight strenght causes the shadow effects. Weird huh? It was weird for me to figure this out.

I'll fix it soon, don't worry. As i said, this release is just a beta, and you guys are my labrats.

This way i find the trouble spots faster so i can release you a "patch". Now i start to sound like CA itself, don't I ?

You might have a hard time beleiving this, but it's the moonlight strenght causes the shadow effects. Weird huh? It was weird for me to figure this out.

Archer

I was troubleshooting the error & found the problem is only to be one setting in descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt

In Skymod 1.32 Beta:
    unit_ambient_reduce_proportion 1.2

Whereas Skymod 1.31 has:
    unit_ambient_reduce_proportion 0.17

So changing that one value fixes the problem. I think you wanted 0.2 because 0.5 is still to dark. Great work so many changes were done.

Update: I set my to 0.42 looks good. I also increased unit blue setting too; here why--->New units in RTR 6.1

Now you can get started on "burn baby; burn mod"
    Last edited by draknar; September 26, 2005 at 07:32 PM.

Thanks Draknar, that also help

OR

Try my version.

Here is a quick fix for people who already downloaded my 1.32 beta skymod.

What has been changed:

-re-adjusted sunlight strength (always an issue) (descr_daytypes.txt)

-similar adjustment to the previous poster, except my values are different (descr_battle_map_lighting_and_fog_control.txt)

See if you like the results.

Here are a few preview shots from this version: (SPQR mod used, thanks Lt1956 for awesome mod and awesome skins!)

The desert at night, note: the blue reflection on the armor is from the moonlight:

desert evening (just to show you my modded sunglare and the sky)

how the strong sunlight effects the armor:

the re-adjusted settings, where the shadow was too dark:

notice the white sunlight reflects the armor in a different way then like the desert settings, it isn't as yellow:

adjusted a bit, not to have too dark shadow effect, but somehow i like this settings in the deep woods:

notice the armor again, it reflects the light a different way then in other places:

Mediterranian settings, kinda normal look with not much of an effect other than the yellow sunlight, this is morning:

standby for the patch. :original:

edit: the 2 files zipped into 1.32 beta patch you need to replace is below for the beta owners (attached to this post)

OR CLICK HERE FOR FULL VERSION OF 1.32 FINAL
    /readme/installation procedure is in the first post in this thread/
    Last edited by HorseArcher; September 30, 2005 at 04:34 PM.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Thanks for the fix Archer. This should be good judging by those beautiful pics.

Very good, the units look more real!!!!That's great

P.S--Good luck with you burning mod, I hope you release it soon.
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Just let you know guys, that after i'm done with my wall mod, i will be checking out the new effects in BI and try to insert some new skies along with new effects.
    BI needs some TLC. (tender loving care).

Ok, I have some WIP shots from BI as i already edited BI's skies (yeah, like i could just sit idle with un-modded skies, LOL)

There are all work-in-progress and mostly just experiments, but you can see some difference already.

This mod has my latest skymod already incorporated along with many changes. This is only the beginning. these shots do not represent my final version in any shape, form, or color.

enjoy.