Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Skymod + Night Battles in RTW =

sorry guys for no beta version, but i'm still testing the new settings and I don't want to give you something that has nothing much new from 1.2 I am re-customizing the sky/weather/day settings for many locations...
    It's just a lot of quitting/reloading RTW and it takes time... :sweatingb

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    sorry guys for no beta version, but i'm still testing the new settings and I don't want to give you something that has nothing much new from 1.2 I am re-customizing the sky/weather/day settings for many locations...
    It's just a lot of quitting/reloading RTW and it takes time... :sweatingb

No problem Archer, your sky mods are well worth the wait. Take your time man.

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan
    No problem Archer, your sky mods are well worth the wait. Take your time man.
    I totally agree

aves's Avatar Military Historian

I echo others' concerns... one night battle in every 10 would be nice, no more

Hey loyal RTW fans! I got something new for you coming!!!

I found the way to simulate the passing time on the battlefield. Basicly the sky changes as the time passes, wind kicks up then dies down, clouds develop then clears up, then different clouds appear, etc. I can't tell you too much yet as i'm testing it, and i'm still adding more and more weather effects, but if you have some long battle going on (like more than 5 minutes), you'll notice and it gives that feeling that time was passing while you were fighting.
    As you all know, RTW doesn't have moving clouds (but it was planned i know) , so this is the "cheap" way to simulate it.

I'm also working on some new custom weather effects.
    Be patient as this weekend comes, i'll might have more free time to work on it and hopefully finish it up soon.

Hey loyal RTW fans! I got something new for you coming!!!

I found the way to simulate the passing time on the battlefield. Basicly the sky changes as the time passes, wind kicks up then dies down, clouds develop then clears up, then different clouds appear, etc. I can't tell you too much yet as i'm testing it, and i'm still adding more and more weather effects, but if you have some long battle going on (like more than 5 minutes), you'll notice and it gives that feeling that time was passing while you were fighting.
    As you all know, RTW doesn't have moving clouds (but it was planned i know) , so this is the "cheap" way to simulate it.

I'm also working on some new custom weather effects.
    Be patient as this weekend comes, i'll might have more free time to work on it and hopefully finish it up soon.

That sounds very interesting Archer. This is going to enhance the battles in whatever mod we install it on.

ehu Archer how far are u with the mod it's sounds great can't wait for it keep us informed and keep up the great work
    You Talk The Talk !!!
    But Do You Walk The Walk

O'brien the Protector's Avatar Lord of the Mannequins

im just wondering, are u gonna include more day-tome battles in this mod? also have u fixed the problwem where the shadows of the units/buildings becomes pitchblack, adn anythign in a shadow becomes invisible?

BTW the pirctures of your night battles look great.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    -(Under the patronage of the humble, yet all powerful Lord Sephiroth.)-Royal House of the Black Prince

Lord of the Mannequins~Protector of Happiness, Bishop of Liberty, Guard of Hypocracy, Patriarch of Duality,O'briantheProtector(OBP)

Quote Originally Posted by NKIGravedigger
    im just wondering, are u gonna include more day-tome battles in this mod? also have u fixed the problwem where the shadows of the units/buildings becomes pitchblack, adn anythign in a shadow becomes invisible?

BTW the pirctures of your night battles look great.
    Right now, i did some experiments with different settings. Actually i managed to copy out the skydome from the barbarian invasion demo, but it's kinda "overcolored" and unrealistic. I have about 4 versions of the day/night/sky/weather settings and i'm trying to evaluate which one would be the best.

The dark shadows have been fixed also and i removed the night settings in many areas.

Further testing required, so it's still not ready.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Take your time Archer, we'll be here waiting no matter how long it takes. We appreciate the effort you're going to...
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Thanks for the patience. It took me a full day (it is horribly hot outside, plus i'm brown enough already to be outdoors sitting and testing to crush my texture corruption bug with the sky. Appearantly it is impossible to have a clear day without haze or clouds. I'm just saying this as i tried to use a clear day with no clouds and no haze and the sky got texturized by unit skins (quite funny) .

I'm gonna show you some progress. I'm trying to have more than one type of night sky (not too many) .

I have to advise you ahead. The way the sky works, is depending on the location (temperate forest,grassland etc) and the season. So I have no control over the fact, that if someone will keep fighting always in the same season and same ground type, will get the same sky all the time, let that be the same night or day battle. I'm just saying this as some people were complaining of too many night battles. Yes too many if its the same season and same place, it will be the same sky.

Ok, i guess i'll show some progress before i you think it's not cool to wait for this (who needs BI expansion anyway if you have this mod and RTR?) . These are only some of the dark settings, I haven't showed you the daylight settings yet (later):

this one is like either a late evening setting or maybe a full moon. This isn't the only night sky settings in the mod, just one of them:

kinda same thing, it could be almost like fall or early winter, you pick your choice:

This one is winter early morning or late afternoon (who knows). This one gives me the feeling of 5am and it's frickin cold! :

Look awsome Archer, keep up the great (and I mean great, not just good, or Ok) work.
    Now all you have to do is create the horder ability, civil wars, and swimming, and their really will be no reason to buy BI.(period)

Quote Originally Posted by Pompey the Great
    Look awsome Archer, keep up the great (and I mean great, not just good, or Ok) work.
    Now all you have to do is create the horder ability, civil wars, and swimming, and their really will be no reason to buy BI.(period)
    ok let's play a game of relevant/irrelevant (just out of fun)
    warning, going a tiny-bit off topic.
    .....well, i don't know how swimming will effect playing the BI, as i recall i hardly ever fight next to a river. I actually have to force to have a fight as rivers/bridge fights just aren't as frequent, maybe 1 fight in 100 or less, depending on your and the enemy placement.

Civil war - cool, I don't know why did CA leave out civil war, as going one side of gaul (for example) rebel against you and instead of joining the common rebels, they stay gauls, except they don't like "your" gauls anymore. (MTW had this, and also the choice to pick which side to join)

horde ability - really cool thing, too bad it's not in vanilla RTW as hordes of nomadics and many other tribes existed since the beginning of time not only at time of the huns and attila. (RTR crew, can you hear me?)

ok, back to topic:

cool, not cool?

ok, no more night battle screens for now. I'll show you some daylight shots soon.

...By the way, these night settings (the previous posts too) are subject to change in favor of having a right balance of night/day and light settings.

:original:

Hey guys.....Just let you know as i was testing for the last 2 days, i got something amazing (at least i think so) to discover.

The 4 seasons (autumn,winter,spring, summer) are actually working in the game. I confirmed this by creating 4 different skydomes for each season and using different colors for each. If you would open the vanilla descr_skydome.txt you would notice that on the bottom it says : "skydome spring use winter"; skydome autumn use winter" etc.

As the game rotates between summer and winter, rotate that twice and the game disguises the spring and autumn as summer and winter, even though the game would be looking for the autumn and spring skydomes, the code written in the skydome text would deterr the engine to use only one skydome. This also applies for the barbarian invasion demo too, i'm not sure if they gonna do anything for the expansion.
    (hehe, that means my skies are more sophisticated )

What does this mean?

I fixed it. I have the 4 skydomes rotating nicely creating some nice random sky colors for just the sake of detail and variety.

I got some proof (test pictures)

These are the same battle which is set as "winter" but in reality (disguised) it's autumn. I was changing my custom made "autumn skydome":

Hey guys.....Just let you know as i was testing for the last 2 days, i got something amazing (at least i think so) to discover.

The 4 seasons (autumn,winter,spring, summer) are actually working in the game. I confirmed this by creating 4 different skydomes for each season and using different colors for each. If you would open the vanilla descr_skydome.txt you would notice that on the bottom it says : "skydome spring use winter"; skydome autumn use winter" etc.

As the game rotates between summer and winter, rotate that twice and the game disguises the spring and autumn as summer and winter, even though the game would be looking for the autumn and spring skydomes, the code written in the skydome text would deterr the engine to use only one skydome. This also applies for the barbarian invasion demo too, i'm not sure if they gonna do anything for the expansion.
    (hehe, that means my skies are more sophisticated )

What does this mean?

I fixed it. I have the 4 skydomes rotating nicely creating some nice random sky colors for just the sake of detail and variety.

You are a genius man. This is an incredible breakthrough for RTW. This is going to be the best Sky Mod of them all. Good job Archer.

Thanks Trajan!

What I'm also doing is, i figured out how to change the sky as you click the "wait" button before the battle. so i got 4 seasons and each of them can be configured to have one of them to be a night setting for a specific battle. As you click through, you'll see the sky change. I'm configuring the skies as you click, it switches between settings. It's just a lot of adjustments i still have to do.

By the way, each daytype is 4 times more now than 1.2 skymod. As I have the day settings multiply it by 4, for the 4 seasons, then 4 times again because of 4 different skydomes.

So that's 16 different settings times the number of different climates (which i have created many more by breaking up the vanilla climates into many groups)

so That is 8 x 16, which comes out 128 variations including the many different night settings, plus throw in the haze/rain/snow/ settings and there is just enough configs to see something new all the time.

compare this to the vanilla RTW:
    that is 6 i counted for vanilla and that's because of having a winter or summer but remember, vanilla RTW uses the same settings, regardless of climate and season and it's always 8am in the morning. Go figure.

I'm gonna rename my mod, The 4 season skymod and nightbattle mod. All hail the colors! :laughing:

here is a random day picture again.

here is a chunk of my file what i'm doing, so you see (can't give out my "corporate secret" yet :laughing: :

Code:
    daytype	temperate_swamp_summer

climates		swamp 
    	seasons			summer 
    	weatherevents	calm 0.15, calm_two 0.22, calm_one 0.18, clear 0.14, hazy 0.11, light_fog 0.07, 
    	next_day		temperate_swamp_summer 0.5, temperate_swamp_autumn 0.5		

daytype	temperate_swamp_spring

climates		swamp 
    	seasons			spring
    	weatherevents	calm 0.15, calm_two 0.22, calm_one 0.18, clear 0.14, hazy 0.11, light_fog 0.07, 
    	next_day		temperate_swamp_spring 0.3, temperate_swamp_summer 0.4										
    daytype	temperate_swamp_autumn

climates		swamp 
    	seasons			autumn
    	weatherevents	calm 0.15, calm_two 0.22, calm_one 0.18, clear 0.14, hazy 0.11, light_fog 0.10, 
    	next_day		temperate_swamp_spring 0.5, temperate_swamp_summer 0.5										
    daytype	temperate_swamp_winter

climates		swamp 
    	seasons		winter
    	weatherevents	calm 0.15, calm_two 0.22, calm_one 0.18, clear 0.14, hazy 0.10, 
    	next_day		temperate_swamp_winter 0.3, temperate_swamp_spring 0.7
    Last edited by HorseArcher; August 16, 2005 at 11:48 PM.

God, thats brilliant...its amazing how you manage to these things so quickly.
    Off topic: As for the things included in BI, I wonder if they will include the ability for destroyed factions to "reappear", duch as in medieval, Ive heard a few things that indicate they are, or that at least the ability for modders to create such a thing is there, but I'd still like to see CA include it, though I still get shudders at the chain affect such thing started in medieval, one province rebels, next turn a lot of provinces are rebelling, then about 7 different factions reappear and bam you back to what you started with at the start of the game....

Back on topic...the shots look brilliant, makes you wonder what the game would of looked like if all these things had been implemented before release, though I guess we are slowly find out...you seem to know the RTW code better than CA (excluding hard code).

Back on topic...the shots look brilliant, makes you wonder what the game would of looked like if all these things had been implemented before release, though I guess we are slowly find out...you seem to know the RTW code better than CA (excluding hard code).
    yeah, guess what some of these just come randomly now, as i pre-set the different seasons and i set when the battle to be (unfortunately i cannot make the sun to be on the top of the sky or west), but i can make the colors to be different and just cover the sun, so it's not morning all the time.

Here is something interesting. the vanilla campaign battles are set at 8, 9, 10, 'o clock , and it depends on the location of the battle. The thing is the game chooses the time randomly and it's hard to know exactly which battle when gonna happen. Like, in the mediterranian climate, i think the battle is always around 9am and in the swamp it's always 8am. (guessing from the sun's positions). So what i do, is i move the morning hours around the day, so 8am is sometimes at midday or evening or very close to midnight, to "cheat" the time of the day to have different sky settings.
    I'll be working on this later see what else i can change...

I think your doing a great job, I hope you finish in time for SPQR. ;-)

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Civis

will do. right now ummm..i'm having an issue in pontus territory. the damn clouds are pink.
    Please, post some screens!!!

I'd vote the second one it looks very cool

dark89