Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Skymod + Night Battles in RTW =

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    none of those so far, maybe just dark mornings or just some dark middays, but I haven't seen any custom battle with any completely out of place colors.
    So yes, you can still use the 1.31 (my preferred one who wants to do custom battles) and you won't see any strange colors.
    Hi Archer. I got a maybe dumb question:

Back then your skymod v1.1 was about 173KB big. I used to installed the newer version over the older ones.

But lately I wonder if your new skymod v1.3x is a complete new project, that has nothing to do with the ones before. The new versions are smaller in size.

Or do I always have to install 1.1 first and then the other over it, because 1.3x is missing something?

It's a little bit confusing...
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla

Back then your skymod v1.1 was about 173KB big. I used to installed the newer version over the older ones.

But lately I wonder if your new skymod v1.3x is a complete new project, that has nothing to do with the ones before. The new versions are smaller in size.

Or do I always have to install 1.1 first and then the other over it, because 1.3x is missing something?

All need is 1.3 or 1.31

Quote Originally Posted by GODzilla

Completely new, and you don't need any of the old skymods. The old one was big because it included a modded sun (which i replaced with the moon) and a
    a disabled lensflare.

Each one of my new mods are completely new. In case you had the old one installed still, just copy the data file found in the "original files" over your data file
    (to reset the settings to vanilla conditions) and then install my modded data file on top of it.

If you don't have any of my old skymods, then you don't have to do this.

Completely new, and you don't need any of the old skymods. The old one was big because it included a modded sun (which i replaced with the moon) and a
    a disabled lensflare.

Each one of my new mods are completely new. In case you had the old one installed still, just copy the data file found in the "original files" over your data file
    (to reset the settings to vanilla conditions) and then install my modded data file on top of it.

If you don't have any of my old skymods, then you don't have to do this.
    Ok, I see. As I got no errors for a long time I guess I don't need to take out the old mod. Anyway, it's too late, allready over-installed many new version of your mod and it works properly ^^.
    GODzilla(TM)

Couple of obvious questions:

1.) What is this "vanilla" RTW that everyone keeps talking about? Is it a modification? I can't find any seperate forums for it or any detailed info, just keep hearing it mentioned.

2.) Why isnt this listed under the Major Modifications forum?

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by OsinO
    Couple of obvious questions:

1.) What is this "vanilla" RTW that everyone keeps talking about? Is it a modification? I can't find any seperate forums for it or any detailed info, just keep hearing it mentioned.

2.) Why isnt this listed under the Major Modifications forum?
    1. Thats plain un-modded RTW
    2. As Not full Total conversion

Laetus

Archer, was looking at 1.31 last night....realy love, what you have done is a great contribution to the game and community. Thanks.
    -MorgTzu

May your lines be straight and your battles decisive

chek out this pic of some carthaginians coming to attack my army,the carthaginians got their asses kicked(i was playing iberia

heres another picture from the expansion but it seems similar to archer modded sky(chek the sky out

tell me what u think of them

Let's just hope they were fascist communist kittens who were on their way to international fascist communist fair.

The difference in the BI nightsky and mine is that (beleive it or not) the BI nightsky is already in the regular (vanilla) RTW, except never activated. Also there should be moon phases in vanilla RTW, which the files are in, but i don't think i seen the moon too many times, maybe in the custom battles.
    I cannot make the stars shinier (like BI screenshot) because my stars are faded, due to the fact that i modded the 'morning' sky, which shows some stars
    but kinda faded.
    Also to be noted, if you guys want a night sky such as BI (but without the shiny stars, which i cannot do) has, i can make one for you just like it or close to it.

ok, you know what?

you guys be the jugde, i'll make a night sky similar to the BI screenshot and see how close i can come (of course without the shiny stars and the dynamic lighting effects)

game on?

The difference in the BI nightsky and mine is that (beleive it or not) the BI nightsky is already in the regular (vanilla) RTW, except never activated. Also there should be moon phases in vanilla RTW, which the files are in, but i don't think i seen the moon too many times, maybe in the custom battles.
    I cannot make the stars shinier (like BI screenshot) because my stars are faded, due to the fact that i modded the 'morning' sky, which shows some stars
    but kinda faded.
    Also to be noted, if you guys want a night sky such as BI (but without the shiny stars, which i cannot do) has, i can make one for you just like it or close to it.

ok, you know what?

you guys be the jugde, i'll make a night sky similar to the BI screenshot and see how close i can come (of course without the shiny stars and the dynamic lighting effects)

game on?
    Of course, why not.

But imho it's good that you took out the night battles. In comparison to BI it will never be that good, because we don't have the dynamic lightning. So it's better to leave it out completely. Also I guess there were only a few famous battles at night in the ancient time, but I could be wrong.

The point is: Taking the night out is ok, but I miss the thunder storm. It happened only a few times for me, but it was awsome. Also the heavy fog was great. Ok, it was a little bit too overdone, but maybe half the intensity would do it as well. Could you re-implent these two weather-effects in your "4 season sky mod"? Maybe as an option. That would be great! :original:
    GODzilla(TM)

Archer, I think it would be great if you made a night mod as well. That way, we could choose to use the 1.31 version if we were in the mood for battle clarity, and the night mod when environmental atmosphere is more desireable. Your mods offer so many different feels to the game that there is no reason that players should not switch between the different ones especially since it is so easy to do so. Between 1.1, 1.3 and 1.31, myself, I find that they are all so good that none of them is the "definitive mod", and I think the night mod would fall into this group well as another alternative. In reading the various commentaries on your different skymods, there has always been a mixture of positive opinion on what is best, and I think this reflects that fact that different people like the different mods for their own differing reason - thus the benefit of making additional diverse ones such as a night mod.

Hope you concur.

Here is some info about my mod, perhaps it gives some details what I have to deal with while making these mods:

Well, since i'm almost in a complete understanding how the weather and sky works in RTW, i can pump out any sky or weather i want with no problem.

Just let you know guys, i could do so much more if CA wouldn't limit us with many things, which i have to "cheat", or basically "find another way" in order to make things
    work.
    It's like working with one hand tied to the chair. There are certain limits what can be done and what not, and my major gripe is that i cannot control
    when to be day or morning or evening on many places. What you see in my mods are basicly "forcing" the game to use the evening sky or whatever sky,
    by changing that miserable "8am" to a different time or simply making a day start at 11pm and editing the lighting conditions accordingly.
    Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't as the game reluctantly refers to the skydome of 8am, so even though i made the picture dark, i cannot make the sun to be on top of the sky (for midday) or
    to be on the horizon. That happens randomly on the campaign as some battles take place at 8am 9am or 10am but never later or earlier.

Custom battles or custom made historical battles time can be changed with ease - as just put in the start time in the descr_strat.txt, but the real campaign
    doesn't have this option.

Another info (if you are aware of this):

straight from CA:

The expansion does not add the night battle feature to Rome: Total War, however.
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/..._flashtop_read

Well, that simply sux, if you ask me. You could only fight night battles IF you are playing the BI expansion inside RTW - that is what it means. I'm wondering if this also means, that we won't see the dynamic lighting and all the bells and whistles of BI in our RTW, unless we are playing the BI, but not the republic rome time.
    It shouldnt have been too hard to make the regular RTW "BI-like" , and you can damn bet on me that i will look into this matter, the
    integration of the BI night battles and all the rest of new stuff into RTW vanilla , soon after BI release.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; August 25, 2005 at 08:51 PM.

woooah archer chill,i wasnt insulting you in anyway i was just saying that you have been doing just as good as ca that has likely put 9 people alone into fixingn the sky
    \*clapclap*
    but guys i realy want feedback on what u think of my screenshot of the carthaginians attacking and wether or not i did a good job taking it and how i could do a better job

Let's just hope they were fascist communist kittens who were on their way to international fascist communist fair.

Quote Originally Posted by humvee2800
    woooah archer chill,i wasnt insulting you in anyway i was just saying that you have been doing just as good as ca that has likely put 9 people alone into fixingn the sky
    \*clapclap*
    but guys i realy want feedback on what u think of my screenshot of the carthaginians attacking and wether or not i did a good job taking it and how i could do a better job
    Oh no, don't misunderstand me, i know well you aren't insulting me. i just wanted to put out some info of how these skymods are made that's all.

actually that's a good shot. Here something you can try:

enable the movie editor for RTW

see this thread how:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29767

do the movie cam option and take some screenshots with different angles not available in the regular game,
    such as my hun invasion screenshot (see that's not a skymod sky there)

Last edited by HorseArcher; August 25, 2005 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks Archer your skies are trully magnificent. For example:

Cheers!

thx archer for the info,this pic was actually just a right place right time kinda pic.i had mytroops in place and was waiting for the carthaginians when i noticed the bridge and the way they were crossing blended well with the sky.

also has anyone used my metal gear thingy links(if so plz tell me what u thought of the animation movie thing of metal gear(isnt really movie just bout 5 minutes long each).but together they form the storyline and are funny

No crashes with SPQR so far Archer, looking good, sometimes there is alot of morning fights and I have to turn my lights off so I can see, because the glare from my lights block the view with the dusk style mornings. lol But its very colorful.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

someone plz respond to my last post(the bottom part of it)

Quote Originally Posted by humvee2800
    someone plz respond to my last post(the bottom part of it)also has anyone used my metal gear thingy links(if so plz tell me what u thought of the animation movie thing of metal gear(isnt really movie just bout 5 minutes long each).but together they form the storyline and are funny

I'm sorry humvee, but that is really off topic here. Perhaps you should post it in another thread in the off-topic area of the forum.

No crashes with SPQR so far Archer, looking good, sometimes there is alot of morning fights and I have to turn my lights off so I can see, because the glare from my lights block the view with the dusk style mornings. lol But its very colorful.
    I completely forgot that i am using a 19" LCD monitor and some people with CRTs (do you have a CRT spqr?) might cause the game to look too dark. I guess there is always good and bad side of everything..
    Last edited by HorseArcher; August 26, 2005 at 07:21 PM.

Hiya, I downloaded the 4 season skymod 1.31 version, I installed the file like the instructions said, but when I started to play in campaign I didnt get 4 season, Started from 280bc summer to 280 winter, then went to 279bc summer, etc,etc.
    Did I do something wrong?