Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Skymod + Night Battles in RTW =

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

I would like to have an improved night battle mod. Does it only have night battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan
    I would like to have an improved night battle mod. Does it only have night battles?
    Depending on the location. The only way to do this to alternate the day/night settings between
    terrains and seasons (summer/ winter only) So if you fight over and over in the same town or province and at the same season,
    then that is possible that you gonna have a night battle over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Depending on the location. The only way to do this to alternate the day/night settings between
    terrains and seasons (summer/ winter only) So if you fight over and over in the same town or province and at the same season,
    then that is possible that you gonna have a night battle over and over.

Sounds good to me. I'll still be using Skymod 1.31 but I also plan on using the night mod now and then.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

oh wow, oh wow, oh wow

at the risk of being accused of spamming......

just installed 1.31, started a battle and it is truly amazing. As you said above, the sky is nice but the overall effect on clarity and sharpness is just beautiful. Currently in the middle of a seige and even the buildings look a million times better.

Many, many thanks
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

by the way i checked the barbarian invasion demo's dynamic light system and that is just far beyond my capabilites to do anything with those.

Check out a piece:

;
    ; Calculate the alpha based on depth and incident angle
    ;

add r2.x, v1.w, c1.x ; alpha = vertex_alpha + min_alpha - max_alpha
    add r2.x, r2.x, -c1.y ;
    min r2.x, r2.x, c0.y ; alpha = Max(alpha, 0) ... ensure that it is not positive

add r7, -v0, c14 ; vertex to camera position
    mul r7.xz, r7.xz, c1.zz
    dp3 r2.z, r7, r7 ; normalise r7 (vertex to camera position)
    rsq r2.z, r2.z ;
    mul r2.y, r7.y, r2.z ; store y component of normalised r7 as cos(pitch)

max r2.y, r2.y, c0.y ; get cos(pitch) from y component of camera vector and ensure that it is not negative
    mul r2.y, r2.y, r2.y
    mul r2.y, r2.y, r2.y
    mad r1.xyzw, r2.x, r2.y, c1.y ; diffuse_alpha = max_alpha + cos(pitch) * alpha
    ;
    ; Calc specular lighting
    ;
    add r2.xyz, r6.xyz, -c10.xyz ; get half angle... camera vector + direction to light
    dp3 r4.x, r2.xyz, r2.xyz ; magnitude squared
    rsq r4.xyz, r4.x ; get the inverse of the square
    mul r2.xyz, r2.xyz, r4.xyz ; multiply, r2 = half vector
    #line 89 "water_surface_alpha_spec.vsh"
    mov r4.x, -c10.y ; normal 'dot' direction to light (normal straight up)
    mov r4.y, r2.y ; normal 'dot' half vector (normal straight up)
    mov r4.w, c1.w ; specular power

lit r5, r4 ; perform lighting calculations

mul r1.w, r1.w, r5.z ; modulate the alpha by the specular component

;
    ; Calculate the fog using D3DFOG_EXP
    ;

mul r8.x, -c0.w, r0.z ; - (fog_exp_density * z_dist)
    exp r8.x, r8.x ; evaluate exponential function
    mul r1.w, r1.w, r8.x ; modulate the alpha by the fog function

; Modulate by the ocean proportion (in v1.y)
    mul r1.w, r1.w, v1.y

;
    ; Store the lighting components
    ;

mov oD0, r1 ; set the diffuse alpha
    mov oD1, c13 ; set the specular colour

;
    ; Transform the texture coordinates using the texture transform
    ;
    #line 120 "water_surface_alpha_spec.vsh"
    dp4 r2.x, v0.xzyw, c6
    dp4 r2.y, v0.xzyw, c7
    mov oT0.xy, r2.xy

;m4x4 oT0, v0.xzyw, c6 ; 2 D texture transform (using world space x,z)

mov oFog, c0.x ; clear vertex fog

vs .1 .1
    ...and this goes on an on, enough to fill at least 30 pages.
    Does this look Mumbo Jumbo to you? It does to me.

I'm not sure if i ever be able to touch that...

Does this look Mumbo Jumbo to you? It does to me.

I'm not sure if i ever be able to touch that...

It does look really complicated but if anybody can do it, it will certainly be you.

Tacticalwithdrawal's Avatar Ghost

you could always drop a line to the shogun and see if he would be willing to help? Never hurts to ask, Iknow 'cos its worked on some other games I've played that have been modded.
    : - It's my smilie and I'll use it if I want to......

Ave Caesar, Morituri Nolumus Mori (in Glaswegian: gae **** yrsel big man)

Figures they would do something to make it harder and harder for us to mod, we find ways and they find ways to block us. sheesh.

BTW it seems you mod is working out without problems, it looks like the CTDs where a STRANGE CA bug that I found that is activated doing a certain thing, even though no errors are made. lol Wierd for sure but resolved thank goodness, now I am testing your mod out for SPQR, but so far so good.

Lt
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Centurion Quintus's Avatar Campidoctor

What is the most current release?

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion Quintus
    What is the most current release?
    1.31. Go back to the first page of this thread in my first reply for a download link. It has more of morning fights and brighter days, but the units got toned down a bit from 1.30

You can also try the 1.30, which higher contrast units and there are more evening skies. the 1.30 vers. is somewhere in the middle part of this thread (zip attachment)

edit: Nevermind get them here:

= vers. 1.31 = - more morning skies, less unit contrast

=vers. 1.30 = - high unit contrast, more evening skies
    Last edited by HorseArcher; August 23, 2005 at 08:02 PM.

Archer...great mod, but could you help me out. How exactly do I enable the lense flare in the game? I read the readme but didn't quite understand it. I posted here and got no answer, then I posted a new topic and Trajan pointed out the readme as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Honor&Glory
    Archer...great mod, but could you help me out. How exactly do I enable the lense flare in the game? I read the readme but didn't quite understand it. I posted here and got no answer, then I posted a new topic and Trajan pointed out the readme as well.
    The lens flare is already in vanilla RTW. if you installed the 1.30 mod, then you disabled the lensflare.

If you want to enable it (reinstall it) , go to the "original files" folder in the 1.30 zipfile and copy the "models" folder into your rtw/data folder.
    If it ask you to overwrite something, that means you are doing good.

If you don't see the lensflare anywhere in the game , that is just how it is, I rarely see it in vanilla anyway.

If you installed 1.31 and you never installed 1.30, then you still have your lensflare activated.

...by the way, anyone wants night battles? (or am I the only one liking this too much?)

this is a completely different mod. It's easy simple and took me about 20 minutes to create
    I Shall name it my Nightmod!

here is a shot:

and another angle:

Is there a version that doesn't ruin custom battles?

Is there a version that doesn't ruin custom battles?
    define "ruin".

It changes the custom battles skies. there is now way around it.

I think i'm gonna write it in here into a stone : this mod is designed for the campaign map gameplay, since the vanilla custom battles,
    you have the option anyway, to play your game at a given daytime (morning, evening, midday) meanwhile the campaign game usually chooses a morning
    hour randomly and the sky always looks the same.

Archer, the night mod is compelling. Even though units can be harder to distinguish, it adds more of a dramatic and challenging atmosphere. Does this mod contain 100% night battles, or is it a mixture of night and early morning/late afternoonlike 1.1? I say bring on the "Music of the Night" with this Night Mod as another option to try.

Will it, or can you get it to work with the 4 Season mod? I love that one and don't want to play without it now. Great work on that, Archer. You did good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Lives
    Will it, or can you get it to work with the 4 Season mod? I love that one and don't want to play without it now. Great work on that, Archer. You did good.
    Well, I not intend to mess with my 4 season mod for now, I figured that i create something simpler. And yes, this will stil have day battles, although i have to adjust
    a couple of things to see some cool stuff in my nightmod. This is really just one of my experiments as how simple I can go (opposing my 4 season mod, which took me a
    a week to write and adjust) with the vanilla file and still have some cools effects.

here is a "day" screenshot from my nightmod (notice, there is just too much yellow going on)
    this picture has nothing to do with the 4 season mod. It's completely new.

Ruin as in there's a pink layer of color on the ground, and a bright purple sky. Haha.

Ruin as in there's a pink layer of color on the ground, and a bright purple sky. Haha.
    none of those so far, maybe just dark mornings or just some dark middays, but I haven't seen any custom battle with any completely out of place colors.
    So yes, you can still use the 1.31 (my preferred one who wants to do custom battles) and you won't see any strange colors.